Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Sauer Jr. Passes Away

Undrafted Free Agent
    A sad day for Jets fans. He had as good a pair of hands as anyone that has ever played. I remember looking forward to seeing him at Namaths football camp in 74 but he suddenly signed w the WFL and was bummed woulda been a HoFer had he played longer. RIP George.

RIP to a player who provided me some of my finest childhood sports fan memories. I still remember where I was when I heard on the radio that he had retired, I was shocked.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 05-11-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Was sorry to hear that this AM... He was always a solid WR with great hands. I never knew quite why he dropped out of sight and was never at any SB III Jet's events given he was key in that game. Also, I cannot remember any other players from that team that have passed - is he the first? I know he was only 69.

Smile

A sad day for all Jet fans who was part of what firmly established the NFL as it exists today by putting the AFC on an equal footing with the NFC.

In reading the post here never realized that there were so many social security and near social security members

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Was sorry to hear that this AM... He was always a solid WR with great hands. I never knew quite why he dropped out of sight and was never at any SB III Jet's events given he was key in that game. Also, I cannot remember any other players from that team that have passed - is he the first? I know he was only 69.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Sample

RIP George Sauer.... I applaud you for demonstrating through your life decisions
    that one must lead their own life and not the one that others choose for you. I
    am inspired by the courage you displayed in walking away from something you
    did so well because your heart led you elsewhere.... Bravo to a life lived well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I'm even more impressed with him as someone who would walk away from the game that I was with him as a skilled player. That's pretty gutsy and independent.
    Sauer had that hippie flower child attitude but his talent on the field was amazing.. They may tell you when to go to bed but it seems Namath never listened to them and did what he wanted.. Ahh The 60's what a trip that decade was..

sauer is just another example of how loaded that jet team was. i was too young to appreciate it all but they had some really good players, probably better than any jet team in recent history.

sauer walked away because he disliked the way the players were treated like children. he was too smart to put up with all the nfl bs. it is too bad he died at such a young age.

Other folks in the thread have already stated my sentiment. Just wanted to add my name in here as expressing my respect for Sauer and sadness at
    his passing. RIP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    RIP George Sauer.... I applaud you for demonstrating through your life decisions
    that one must lead their own life and not the one that others choose for you. I
    am inspired by the courage you displayed in walking away from something you
    did so well because your heart led you elsewhere.... Bravo to a life lived well.
    very well put.

RIP George.

Jets Insider VIP
    One of my dad's favorite players. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Sauer had that hippie flower child attitude but his talent on the field was amazing.. They may tell you when to go to bed but it seems Namath never listened to them and did what he wanted.. Ahh The 60's what a trip that decade was..
    One of the drawbacks of Sonny Werblin was that he was always into the star system and Namath was treated differently from the rest of the team. Yes, Namath could get away with doing what he wanted but others couldn't. I'm sure that Sauer was not too thrilled with that double standard.

As much as Sauer was a free spirit he was pretty square looking and Namath had much longer hair then him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    He actually came back to play "football" in New York with the New York Stars in the short lived and unlamented World Football League.

Quote Originally Posted by jets27-23 View Post
    A sad day for Jets fans. He had as good a pair of hands as anyone that has ever played. I remember looking forward to seeing him at Namaths football camp in 74 but he suddenly signed w the WFL and was bummed woulda been a HoFer had he played longer. RIP George.
    Tells you how a QB makes a difference. Namath's quick release and Sauer's precision routes were beautiful together

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    One of the drawbacks of Sonny Werblin was that he was always into the star system and Namath was treated differently from the rest of the team. Yes, Namath could get away with doing what he wanted but others couldn't. I'm sure that Sauer was not too thrilled with that double standard.

As much as Sauer was a free spirit he was pretty square looking and Namath had much longer hair then him.
    Not all hippies had long hair and Riggens wasn't a QB and he did what he wanted also.. BTW Werblin was gone from the Jets prior to the 1968 season so don't blame him it was all on Weeb.. Here's a pic of Riggens early 70's..

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post

Apologies to George Sauer, but I can not let this pass without comment.

Just about the entire team resented Namath. But it was because he got away with murder off the field AND constantly gave away games "on the field" by through poor decisions and taking unnecessary risks. Thank God Maynard was injured for SB III. Who knows what Namath would have done if he had a downfield target. That Jet team was loaded with talent and could have won more than 1 SB if Namath had matured earlier and played for his team and not for himself. And I bet if you asked Namath today, he would agree. And I'm not knocking Namath's talent. He was likely the greatest passer the game has ever seen and was as tough as they come.

BTW, every team has a different standard for stars. Anyone other than a franchise QB would have been cut if he behaved like Big Ben. And Bill Parcells cut a guy for sleeping at a meeting. When asked what he would have done if it was LT, he said "I'd wake him up." Namath was only resented because his teammates did not feel he had "earned" the star treatment by delivering wins. Heck, his teammates had to be "ordered" to vote him captain.

There's no better place to argue than in a thread designed to mark Sauer's passing? Come on, folks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Apologies to George Sauer, but I can not let this pass without comment.

Just about the entire team resented Namath. But it was because he got away with murder off the field AND constantly gave away games "on the field" by through poor decisions and taking unnecessary risks. Thank God Maynard was injured for SB III. Who knows what Namath would have done if he had a downfield target. That Jet team was loaded with talent and could have won more than 1 SB if Namath had matured earlier and played for his team and not for himself. And I bet if you asked Namath today, he would agree. And I'm not knocking Namath's talent. He was likely the greatest passer the game has ever seen and was as tough as they come.

BTW, every team has a different standard for stars. Anyone other than a franchise QB would have been cut if he behaved like Big Ben. And Bill Parcells cut a guy for sleeping at a meeting. When asked what he would have done if it was LT, he said "I'd wake him up." Namath was only resented because his teammates did not feel he had "earned" the star treatment by delivering wins. Heck, his teammates had to be "ordered" to vote him captain.
    All true that was one of the problems I had with Namath his partying took precedence over his Football during the season.. Gerry Philbin wanted to kill him on more then one occasion.. Had Joe lived cleaner during the season who knows what the team could have done? He was so hung over in one game he had to ask John Schmitt what city they where in..