Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: George Sauer Jr. Passes Away

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sauer and Toon were the two Jets WR who were head and shoulders the best of a very good all time group.

    RIP to one of my favorite players.

  2. #42
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Apologies to George Sauer, but I can not let this pass without comment.

    Just about the entire team resented Namath. But it was because he got away with murder off the field AND constantly gave away games "on the field" by through poor decisions and taking unnecessary risks. Thank God Maynard was injured for SB III. Who knows what Namath would have done if he had a downfield target. That Jet team was loaded with talent and could have won more than 1 SB if Namath had matured earlier and played for his team and not for himself. And I bet if you asked Namath today, he would agree. And I'm not knocking Namath's talent. He was likely the greatest passer the game has ever seen and was as tough as they come.

    BTW, every team has a different standard for stars. Anyone other than a franchise QB would have been cut if he behaved like Big Ben. And Bill Parcells cut a guy for sleeping at a meeting. When asked what he would have done if it was LT, he said "I'd wake him up." Namath was only resented because his teammates did not feel he had "earned" the star treatment by delivering wins. Heck, his teammates had to be "ordered" to vote him captain.


    Disagree somewhat. The short passing game was not really part of the offensive scheme back in the day. Down the field is where they went with the ball. Also, it was Weeb being very frugal and he didn't want to pay some people. He let Verlon Biggs walk over peanuts.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Not all hippies had long hair and Riggens wasn't a QB and he did what he wanted also.. BTW Werblin was gone from the Jets prior to the 1968 season so don't blame him it was all on Weeb.. Here's a pic of Riggens early 70's..
    Not all hippies had long hair and not all free spirits were hippies. Yes, Werblin was gone but the precedent was set and Weeb could not all of a sudden treat Namath differently because Sonny was no longer there. Namath had a lot of clout. Remember his retirement over Bachelor's III? Riggins was a just a flake and a hillbilly. His mohawk was certainly not hippy inspired. Maybe if Riggins wasn't such a flake and was more committed to football the Jets would have been willing to pay him instead of letting him walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Apologies to George Sauer, but I can not let this pass without comment.

    Just about the entire team resented Namath. But it was because he got away with murder off the field AND constantly gave away games "on the field" by through poor decisions and taking unnecessary risks. Thank God Maynard was injured for SB III. Who knows what Namath would have done if he had a downfield target. That Jet team was loaded with talent and could have won more than 1 SB if Namath had matured earlier and played for his team and not for himself. And I bet if you asked Namath today, he would agree. And I'm not knocking Namath's talent. He was likely the greatest passer the game has ever seen and was as tough as they come.

    BTW, every team has a different standard for stars. Anyone other than a franchise QB would have been cut if he behaved like Big Ben. And Bill Parcells cut a guy for sleeping at a meeting. When asked what he would have done if it was LT, he said "I'd wake him up." Namath was only resented because his teammates did not feel he had "earned" the star treatment by delivering wins. Heck, his teammates had to be "ordered" to vote him captain.
    Everything you say here is absolutely true. The only qualifier I would add is that it's a matter of degree. All superstars are given leeway by their teams. With Namath however, it was so blatant and so out of line that it became an issue. As Savage pointed out, one of the key moments in their Super Bowl team was Philbin ripping into Namath on a flight home from Buffalo after a terrible loss. Namath himself said that had a chilling affect on him and make him change his ways - somewhat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supeli Malamala View Post
    Disagree somewhat. The short passing game was not really part of the offensive scheme back in the day. Down the field is where they went with the ball. Also, it was Weeb being very frugal and he didn't want to pay some people. He let Verlon Biggs walk over peanuts.
    True there was no West Coast offense, and in the AFL there was much more down the field throwing but short passes were still part of the scheme. Billie Mathis and Pete Lammons made a living on those passes. Sauer himself did not really go downfield that much. In the Super Bowl he did cause Maynard was hurt, and Sauer just could do whatever he wanted with Lenny Lyles.

    Weeb was not the owner. He was just the GM/Coach. Yes, he was cheap but he had to stay within the budget given him by ownership. The Jets with it's poor lease at Shea did not make a lot of money and in general the ownership was involved with their primary businesses and let Weeb run the operation.

  4. #44
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    That team had so much talent that Sauer is hardly ever mentioned. His SB III performance stood out. Sauer was a Pro. I never liked the fact that he left the Jets so early.

    I don't like the fact that he left us now so early.

  5. #45
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    That team had so much talent that Sauer is hardly ever mentioned. His SB III performance stood out. Sauer was a Pro. I never liked the fact that he left the Jets so early.

    I don't like the fact that he left us now so early.
    In no way whatsoever am I critiquing what you said above nor am I judging you, I just wanted to add that one of the things that changed the way I viewed sports, the athletes, and the decision they make was playing in HS and college and meeting player after player (especially in college) who either were fed up with the game and everything it had to offer, and only came back to it for the degree it was paying for. Football's a BRUTAL sport (as we all know), and I'll argue it's the hardest to get out of bed for once you've lost that "jones" for it (especially mentally) due to the toll it takes on the body and in all honesty the military style regimentation, especially imposed by coaches who are only looking to keep those contracts coming and may not have the players' best interest in mind. We all play and love the sport for a myriad reasons and needs, and I've learned that every player's timetable to fulfill those needs varies as wide as human genetics itself. One thing that doesn't surprise me though is the combination of him having a freestyle artistic brain in conjunction with him retiring from the game early in his career. I've seen players like that choose to hang it up prematurely way more than an unhappy meathead would.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 05-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel you champ^^^^^. George Sauer was a Man.

  7. #47
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I feel you champ^^^^^. George Sauer was a Man.


    R.I.P. 83

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Sauer play,shows u how old I am.but don't remember much...grew to love him watching all those Jet highlights from the Super Bowl years.remember my dad saying he retired early because the game got too violent.RIP George,thanks for the great memories of our glorious Jet run.
    Last edited by 2foolish197; 05-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.

  9. #49
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gerry Philbin told me once, at his place in Pawtucket back in the '70's, that George Sauer had the best hands of any receiver he ever played with or against...had the best in fake in football.

    as far as an insight into Namath and the dynamic he shared with his teammates....

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...56/4/index.htm

    I only wish QB's today had a tenth of the insight into the game these guys had back then....

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brings back great memories--just amazing how quick Namath's release was. How crisp the offense looked. etc.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,422
    Post Thanks / Like



  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rest in peace, George. Gone way too soon. If you guys want to read an excellent book about Namath and the Jets during those great years, read Joe Namath, Game by Game, by Bryan L. Yeatter. It chronicles every game of Joe's professional career. Must read for all of us on this site. Won't be disappointed, I promise.

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    God smiles on the Jets at 1:11:10

    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBtJe5kgY0

    45:10 mark, Sauer's big catch on the TD drive.

    55:10 mark, Sauer makes the longest catch in Jets Super Bowl history.

    SAR I
    RIP George, and thank you for being a great man.


    Jimmy Orr is WIDE OPEN but Earl can not see him due to the sun directly in his face, as well as the Baltimore Colts marching band sitting in the endzone he was throwong to.

    7-7 at halftime may have changed the game.

    Its really cool to see the sun shine as Baltimore breaks the huddle and then.......the rest is history
    Last edited by Bing in Buffalo; 05-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing in Buffalo View Post
    RIP George, and thank you for being a great man.


    Jimmy Orr is WIDE OPEN but Earl can not see him due to the sun directly in his face, as well as the Baltimore Colts marching band sitting in the endzone he was throwong to.

    7-7 at halftime may have changed the game.

    Its really cool to see the sun shine as Baltimore breaks the huddle and then.......the rest is history
    Weeb Ewbank always maintained that if Morrall would have decided to go to Orr that although Orr was open when he was waving, that if Morrall decided to throw to him Bill Baird would have gotten there in time to break it up.

    Guess we'll never know.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    R.I.P. 83

  16. #56
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this. I'm bummed out. My best Jets jersey is a Sauer jersey. This really sucks, another hero from my youth is gone.

    Thanks George for doing what you did. You won't be forgotten by us Jets fans. One of the most underrated receivers of all time.


  17. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Huntington Beach , CA ( The OC)
    Posts
    2,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    Unquestionably the unsung hero of Super Bowl III.

    RIP

    SAR I


    Exactly! I was just going to post that, well put

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us