Thread: Reggie Williams story

Reggie Williams story

This is why I never blame a guy like Revis for going for every last nickel. Let's face it pro football is a blood sport and the owners really have no shame. If they got away with this treatment of Reggie Williams, a guy who played his college ball at Dartmouth, imagine what goes on with players of lesser means and intelligence. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...d9d_story.html

I'm sorry, but I'm never going to feel sorry for millionaires like Revis. I wish him well with the buccs and don't really blame him for wanting his coin, but I'm not going to feel bad for him.

All Pro
    The NFL has plenty of money for medical insurance. That said 10 million dollars should set you up for life if you are responsible. You know some guys still play this game just for the love of it. May be reckless and stupid, but it's their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The NFL has plenty of money for medical insurance. That said 10 million dollars should set you up for life if you are responsible. You know some guys still play this game just for the love of it. May be reckless and stupid, but it's their choice.
    Most of these guys make FAR less and are uneducated. A 4 year career for a lineman who signs for say 1.2 a year.... He will be broke before he is 35.
    1.2 after taxes for only 4 years is too little to live on if it has to last a long time. These guys are skill less outside football in many cases.

That said... I believe every active player must contribute 2 percent of their salary tax free to a fund for older vets. So if you are a say..5 year vet, you get health insurance for life from this fund. the fund is paid by current player contributions AND the vet pays a flat fee per month so he has skin in the game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Most of these guys make FAR less and are uneducated. A 4 year career for a lineman who signs for say 1.2 a year.... He will be broke before he is 35.
    1.2 after taxes for only 4 years is too little to live on if it has to last a long time. These guys are skill less outside football in many cases.

That said... I believe every active player must contribute 2 percent of their salary tax free to a fund for older vets. So if you are a say..5 year vet, you get health insurance for life from this fund. the fund is paid by current player contributions AND the vet pays a flat fee per month so he has skin in the game.
    The average career for an NFL player is 3.5 years! Not only that, 78% of all retired NFL players end up filing for bankruptcy. That's an insane statistic. A lot of these guys come from poverty and all of a sudden fall into millions of dollars. What do you think they do with it? Save it? LOL.

We think that pro athletes have it a lot better off than an average joe like any of us, but really that's not the case. At all.

Veteran
    the nfl from the 70s is different than today....financially , safety , medical care. you can't compare.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by extra714 View Post
    This is why I never blame a guy like Revis for going for every last nickel. Let's face it pro football is a blood sport and the owners really have no shame. If they got away with this treatment of Reggie Williams, a guy who played his college ball at Dartmouth, imagine what goes on with players of lesser means and intelligence. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...d9d_story.html
    More so then the Military,Cops,Firemen,Coal miners etc.. And none of them make what a Pro player makes.. No one forced anyone to play football it's a choice one makes if they have enough talent.. It's simple if you don't want the possibility of lasting physical probems find another job.. If you don't want to be possibly gored by a bull don't become a Matador ..

“It’s cost shifting,” said Owens, the former player turned attorney who represents hundreds of ex-athletes. “It’s shifted to the U.S. government and Social Security. If the teams will not pay, or the insurance companies won’t pay for work-related injuries, where do the guys go?”

The cost will fall on taxpayers, according to a 2008 congressional research report on NFL disability. There are approximately 18,000 NFL alumni, and when they can’t pay for their health care it has an impact on “society as a whole,” the report said.
    Let's just keep giving these Billionaire owners more welfare

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    The average career for an NFL player is 3.5 years! Not only that, 78% of all retired NFL players end up filing for bankruptcy. That's an insane statistic. A lot of these guys come from poverty and all of a sudden fall into millions of dollars. What do you think they do with it? Save it? LOL.

We think that pro athletes have it a lot better off than an average joe like any of us, but really that's not the case. At all.
    I have done tax work for a few NFL players... I see it first hand.

Also...the 3.5 year stat is badly skewed by players who never really make it and are released after 2 years healthy.

A study done on players who really play..the number jumps ver 5 BUT I think we are in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Let's just keep giving these Billionaire owners more welfare
    we do..every BUD we drink and ticket we buy or jersey we buy.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I have done tax work for a few NFL players... I see it first hand.

Also...the 3.5 year stat is badly skewed by players who never really make it and are released after 2 years healthy.A study done on players who really play..the number jumps ver 5 BUT I think we are in agreement.
    Avg Baseball Career is around 5 years.. Jerry Rice was so beat up after playing 20 years of NFL ball that he only came in 2nd on Dancing with the Stars.. I know people that have knee problems plus alot of other physical problems that never played a organised sport.. Yes you can get injured playing football you can also get killed driving home from work..
    Last edited by Savage69; 05-11-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post

Ummm THANK YOU!!!!!

And for the rest it is called JEALOUSY!!!!!

Folks out here make all of the excuses you want, but where you are right now, if you are in America, if you wanted it right now in 5 to 7 seven years absent mental defects you could be a millionaire many times over in here.

So stop it!

The question you have to ask yourself is; are you willing to put it all on the line for 6 to 7 years to make it happen? or are you going to sit around and bellyache and say "how easy it is for soemone else?"

To those who regularly show disdain for the players, you know who you are, we already have your answer don't we?

Good Grief!!!!