Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 3 Years Have Passed, Grade the Jets 2010 Draft

I remember that great evaluator of talent, Rex Ryan praising the TERMINATOR during Hard Knocks. What ever happened to him?

D-

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    McCourty is better than Wilson and more valuable to his team.
    Talib and Dennard are the best starting Pats corners since Asante left. McCourty had an outstanding year at safety. Brady gets to operate with a defense that won't make Dan Orlovosky look All-Pro.

Brady doesn't have to work to catch up for his defense? That's bad news for the rest of the league.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-11-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    ???k wilson played very good last year and coukd start on most teams.....everything else I agree

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Save your keystrokes

He doesn't know what a football looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Who is the 4th best safety in that draft class?
    There's a pretty big drop off, but probably Jerod McMillian then Corey White

Anything more than an F... you're just kidding yourselves. To only draft 4 players and not get any stars, let alone quality starters... pathetic. F-

All the NFL draft is about is throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks... No matter where a player is drafted, or what his combine numbers are, or what his scouting reports says, can ever really assure you what will happen when they hit the field in the NFL. 1st round players flop, 6th round players become All-Pro's, nobody can precisely predict anything.

That's why it's wiser to stockpile picks and even trade back for more picks if you can so you can throw more stuff up against the wall in training camp to see what sticks. That's all the draft is about and that's all it ever will be about.

With a veteran free agent player you know what you're looking at, good or bad. With a freshly drafted rookie, you've got no idea... and anyone who tells you different is lying.
    Last edited by billygreen; 05-12-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why is everyone hard on Conner? He was fine without injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    All the NFL draft is about is throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks... No matter where a player is drafted, or what his combine numbers are, or what his scouting reports says, can ever really assure you what will happen when they hit the field in the NFL. 1st round players flop, 6th round players become All-Pro's, nobody can precisely predict anything.

That's why it's wiser to stockpile picks and even trade back for more picks if you can so you can throw more stuff up against the wall in training camp to see what sticks. That's all the draft is about and that's all it ever will be about.

With a veteran free agent player you know what you're looking at, good or bad. With a freshly drafted rookie, you've got no idea... and anyone who tells you different is lying.
    Somebody gets it. If you aren't drafting in the top of the first round for a blue chipper in a blue chip draft, it's a lottery game. Belichick figured this out long ago.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-12-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Wow... What a lack of talent EVERYWHERE... I guess we didn't do THAT bad.
    That was the year the Pats put some separation back between the two teams. In 2010 the Jets seemed to be making a move on closing the gap, but the Pats killed that draft and the gap widened again.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Ranked #77 by his peers. The Pats got McCourty, Gronk, Hernandez, and Spikes in one draft. All starters, 1 all-pro selection, 2 pro-bowl selections. They did have a lot of picks to work with , but the Pats hit 4 times that draft. It's arguably the best draft by any team in the league that year.
    I think they also have three other players still on the team from that draft, Zoltan Mesko, Brandon Deaderick and Jermaine Cunningham.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks9596 View Post
    Anything more than an F... you're just kidding yourselves. To only draft 4 players and not get any stars, let alone quality starters... pathetic. F-
    Agreed. 4 picks and they have a nickel back, back-up lineman and special teamer. Not nearly good enough. F.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    If Rex was happy with Wilson Milliner wouldn't be a Jet. I don't think Wilson is as bad as many people say. Neither is McCourty.
    1) We're now drafting BPA and I think it's pretty obvious when you look at this years 1st rounders.
    2) Rex is not in charge of who we draft. Get over it. The Tanny reign is over.
    3) The only good thing you can say about Wilson is that most of the other reasonable selections at/after him were not that good either

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...2010/draft.htm

but let's face it, Wilson is AT BEST average.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    1) We're now drafting BPA and I think it's pretty obvious when you look at this years 1st rounders.
    2) Rex is not in charge of who we draft. Get over it. The Tanny reign is over.
    3) The only good thing you can say about Wilson is that most of the other reasonable selections at/after him were not that good either

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...2010/draft.htm

but let's face it, Wilson is AT BEST average.
    I was screaming how poor this draft was that weekend. I was told by the experts on this board how we got developmental players , they will develop etc... Poppycock. A friggin accountant would not draft VLAD or Conner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    If Rex was happy with Wilson Milliner wouldn't be a Jet. I don't think Wilson is as bad as many people say. Neither is McCourty.
    We took bap with millner. You can never have enough good cbs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I was screaming how poor this draft was that weekend. I was told by the experts on this board how we got developmental players , they will develop etc... Poppycock. A friggin accountant would not draft VLAD or Conner.
    Actually, looking back on the Rex/Tanny drafts and taking into account where they were picked:

Sanchez(moved up to 5) well below average
    Greene(moved up to 65) just below average
    Slauson(193) average

Wilson(29) just below average
    Ducasse(61) well below average
    McKnight(112) below average
    Conner(139) well below average

Wilkerson (30) well above average
    Ellis(94) jury's out
    Powell (126) jury's out
    Kerley (158) well above average

The rest stink or the jury's out except Coples who is well above average.

D

One average player, Wilson who was overdrafted. If we re-do 2010 he's a 3rd rounder not a 1st.

Here's the Pats draft in the same year :

1st Round (27th Overall) Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

Yeah, they whiffed a bunch but with those tight ends, they recreated that team. We lost a lot of ground to them in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    One average player, Wilson who was overdrafted. If we re-do 2010 he's a 3rd rounder not a 1st.

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) – Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) – Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) – Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

Yeah, they whiffed a bunch but with those tight ends, they recreated that team. We lost a lot of ground to them in 2010.
    I had forgotten that Ted Larsen was in that draft. He is one of the few Belichick draftees who has succeeded on another team.

Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post

1st Round (27th Overall) Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

If the Jets drafted Gronk he would be a good blocking TE that has a lot of potential as a receiver, but has yet to show it.

All Pro
    Wasn't 2010 the year we traded for Cromartie and Holmes and picked up Tomlinson? You can't assess the value of the draft without entering those players in the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Wasn't 2010 the year we traded for Cromartie and Holmes and picked up Tomlinson? You can't assess the value of the draft without entering those players in the equation.
    I agree with this. It's like excluding Moss and Welker from the Pats 2007 draft, which could go down as one of their worst drafts ever without them.