Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 3 Years Have Passed, Grade the Jets 2010 Draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly a D but maybe that will change next year to a F or C depending on this years performance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Why is everyone hard on Conner? He was fine without injuries.
    He's a one trick power blocking FB. The problem is he either blows up the block, or whiffs horribly. This makes it tricky, because he looks so good in his highlights, but he is just so inconsistent, and has no versatility at all. Sometimes a lead blocker just needs to get in the way of a tackler consistently. Anyway he certainly does not fit a WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I agree with this. It's like excluding Moss and Welker from the Pats 2007 draft, which could go down as one of their worst drafts ever without them.
    Still was a mediocre year for team building, which I think is the better way to frame the question. The cost of veterans, especially like Tomlinson or Favre, is that they don't last more than a year or two and you're back where you started. The draft tends to produce long term success, which is why it is so much better overall as a method of team building. Occasionally you get a Welker or a Cromartie that stay with the team and form part of the veteran core. Few second round picks would have delivered more than Cromartie or Welker on either team.... Holmes was decent but ultimately too costly from a contract perspective. Had he been paid a few million less a year, we wouldn't be b*tching about him so much. Tomlinson was as win now acquisition. We didn't win now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Wasn't 2010 the year we traded for Cromartie and Holmes and picked up Tomlinson? You can't assess the value of the draft without entering those players in the equation.
    The compensation for Cromartie was a conditional pick, he was acquired in 2010, but the Jets gave San Diego a second round pick in 2011.

Including vets traded for picks in evaluating a draft is incorrect. Not only did the Jets give up the draft compensation, but they also had to pay big money to retain those players. Its two different situations. The benefit of hitting on draft picks is that you get good production for a low price. The Jets gave picks and money, a not so smart approach to building a roster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson is a starter but the 2010 draft is an easy F (and rightfully cost Tanny his job) - Ducasse is a disaster, McKnight was a wasted pick for Sanchez - there were 6 pro bowl players drafted after the "favor"

What could have been
    29 - OT Zane Beadles
    61 - TE Jimmy Graham
    112 - DT Geno Atkins
    139 - WR Antonio Brown

UDFA - RB Chris Ivory

Cruz was also a UDFA that year but that would be greedy

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Wilson is a starter but the 2010 draft is an easy F (and rightfully cost Tanny his job) - Ducasse is a disaster, McKnight was a wasted pick for Sanchez - there were 6 pro bowl players drafted after the "favor"

What could have been
    29 - OT Zane Beadles
    61 - TE Jimmy Graham
    112 - DT Geno Atkins
    139 - WR Antonio Brown

UDFA - RB Chris Ivory

Isn't hindsight great?? Hell in 2000 instead of Tony Scott in the 6th we take Brady..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Isn't hindsight great?? Hell in 2000 instead of Tony Scott in the 6th we take Brady..
    LOL - Marino, Sapp, etc,,,

yea, need to have a couple of starters from each draft to stay competitive and 2010 was a frustrating draft, don't think they would have considered CB in the first if Revis was a happy camper, there were needs at OL and DL, Rhodes went to zona, had a few decent FA picks ups that kept the team going but no depth

2013 draft looks much better but we will see how it turns out in 2016

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Wasn't 2010 the year we traded for Cromartie and Holmes and picked up Tomlinson? You can't assess the value of the draft without entering those players in the equation.
    Fair but doesn't excuse such poor talent evaluation. 3 sub par football colleges and USC?

There was a shltload of talent from top schools available that we passed on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson
    2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse
    4th Round: RB Joe McKnight
    5th Round: FB John Connor
    Terrible, and certainly one of the top reasons Tanny is no longer our GM. Kyle Wilson is sticking but he certainly isn't anything special, just a decent player.

Vladimir Ducasse is probably the second biggest bust in Tanny's drafting history. The guy hasn't made hardly any contributions at all since being drafted. It also proves out the point that you do NOT draft PROJECTS in the 2nd round. He was counted on to rise into the RT spot. I'll be shocked if he even makes the team this season.

Joe McKnight would be another total bust if not for his KR abilities. His body is nearly 90% out the door at this point. He's terrible as a RB and lost an open competition for the 2nd string job. The guy can't hold on to the football if his life depended on it.

With guys like Josh Cribbs and Brad Smith anticipated to be available, I'll be surprised if he even makes the team. If they sign Smith or Cribbs, he'll be cut almost immediately afterward.

John Connor? Complete and total bust. What's shocking is that I hear that was Rex Ryan's pick. This guy definitely set the organization back big time. They were counting on him to at least be a decent replacement for Tony Richardson. Well, he didn't even belong in the same league as Tony Richardson as evidenced by him getting cut last season.

All in all, I anticipate only Kyle Wilson will be only 2010 draftee left on the roster at the start of the season. That is pathetic.

At the time of that draft, this team was thought of very highly in league circles. It was assumed by many that this organization was on the verge of great things. It was actually the season prior when things started to rapidly decline from a youth standpoint.
    Last edited by Mainejet; 05-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Fair but doesn't excuse such poor talent evaluation. 3 sub par football colleges and USC?

There was a shltload of talent from top schools available that we passed on.
    Agreed. Just can't look at the draft in a vacuum. If the Jets had gone to the SB with the trades they made they would have been geniuses. Unfortunately, they got one good veteran out of the mix (Cromartie) and a decent CB (Wilson) who hasn't shown himself to be a first round talent so far. The rest was pretty bad. Tanny seemed to see every season as SB or bust. And of course busted. I'm all for building through the draft with very careful FA moves. It's by far the most efficient method to build a winner for the long haul and it keeps on giving, as a team is rarely left with the cupboard dry if they do decently.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson - C+
    He was a starter on a good pass D in 2012 but he's not played to expectations. I still think he's going to improve. I doubt he's ever in the conversation for a Pro Bowl but I can see a decent career as a #2 or #3.

2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse - F
    That pick was a total head scratcher from Day 1. I friggin HATED it then and hate it now.

4th Round: RB Joe McKnight - C-
    As a 4th round pick, he's been OK. I think part of the problem has been the team and coaching staff's stubbornness to play under performing veterans like Greene. Maybe that's because McKnight sucks. He's a really good kick returner and maybe this year he takes a step forward as a RB. Or maybe he gets cut. Who the hell knows.

5th Round: FB John Connor - F
    Same as Ducasse. Ugh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson - C+
    He was a starter on a good pass D in 2012 but he's not played to expectations. I still think he's going to improve. I doubt he's ever in the conversation for a Pro Bowl but I can see a decent career as a #2 or #3.

2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse - F
    That pick was a total head scratcher from Day 1. I friggin HATED it then and hate it now.

4th Round: RB Joe McKnight - C-
    As a 4th round pick, he's been OK. I think part of the problem has been the team and coaching staff's stubbornness to play under performing veterans like Greene. Maybe that's because McKnight sucks. He's a really good kick returner and maybe this year he takes a step forward as a RB. Or maybe he gets cut. Who the hell knows.

5th Round: FB John Connor - F
    Same as Ducasse. Ugh.
    Wilson is a mediocre nickel. McKnight is a decent backup rb but you can get that literally anywhere to inlcude UDFA. This was a brutal draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    D is a generous grade, you have to take into account the players they took and the picks they lost and didnt't even have. Closer to an F.
    might want to put a curve on this one look at the players in this draft after kyle wilson no better corner out there couple of lb gronk and hernandez but injuries and maryjane left ???? marks all over those guys devin mc cant cover man courty went a few spots ahead who would want him navaro bowman went after so you could make a 20 20 hindsight case for him. its was a pretty bad draft class lots of bust all over

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    One average player, Wilson who was overdrafted. If we re-do 2010 he's a 3rd rounder not a 1st.

Here's the Pats draft in the same year :

1st Round (27th Overall) Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

Yeah, they whiffed a bunch but with those tight ends, they recreated that team. We lost a lot of ground to them in 2010.
    hey if gronk dosent heal up soon he may do some be done with football and be worring about his life this is no joke infection and you take him out what are you left with a failed corner you moved to safety (oh and thats cost you a few playoff games and a superbowl) a very slow juicing middle lb that has been pretty good for them a smallish h back that get hurt alot like keller oh yeah and a dam good punter. if your the jets gm is grounds for firing for failing on that many picks 12 picks 8 misses any othe team and mccourty gets cut already for being so bad

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson's a nickle.
    Ducasse is a complete waste.
    McKnight is a kick returner.
    Conner is junk.

First rounders being situational players is really awful.

D minus.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not as hard on Wilson as most. Cro and Revis made him look alot worse than he was, but compared around the league he's a pretty decent #2. What most alarming about Wilson was Rex raving up and down about the kid, saying his brother was clamoring for him and that he had him as the 7th rated player on the entire board, and how he was completely shocked he fell that far. Connor and Ducasse are pure garbage, and McKnight has been worth nothing but as a kick returner. D grade overall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    overall D. ducasse should be at least pushing for a starting job if not starting outright. wilson should have been better given his draft position. mcknight has shown some flashes as a kickoff returner but not much else. heck justin miller was a very good returner and the guy before him and so is cromartie so it's not like he's the second coming of billy white shoes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post

What could have been
    29 - OT Zane Beadles
    61 - TE Jimmy Graham
    112 - DT Geno Atkins
    139 - WR Antonio Brown

UDFA - RB Chris Ivory

I wanted Atkins so bad that year. Was pretty high on Graham too. Unfortunately, I also thought Wilson was going to be a good CB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I wanted Atkins so bad that year. Was pretty high on Graham too. Unfortunately, I also thought Wilson was going to be a good CB.
    I was ok with Wilson as well and still think Atkins, Wilson and Graham would have been a solid B borderline A draft class, even if the last pick was used on a project like Ducasse (5th round was about right)

Instead Tanny dumped a nine-time Pro Bowl guard, Alan Faneca and a 2nd round pick for Ducasse then wasted picks on McNight and Conner since neither was BPA or even a need on a team with Tony Richardson and LT

Just one draft to tarnish a great oline and the confidence of a young QB