Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf - Driver recommendations

Golf - Driver recommendations

i am shopping for a new driver...

http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/l/1570/Callaway-X-Hot

?

anyone have other recommendations?

I'd go for someone with a clean record first off...
    Maybe have them drive a few different Manual Transmissions on hills, etc to get a feel.

A good driver is tough to find. Good luck.

This guy can drive you to your Golf.

Jets Insider VIP
    I recommend Ragootz Car Service.

sorry, i thought there were adults on this board...

carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    sorry, i thought there were adults on this board...

carry on.
    what’s your handicap?

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    what’s your handicap?
    Apparently, it's misunderstanding the nature of the Hampur.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    what’s your handicap?

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Apparently, it's misunderstanding the nature of the Hampur.
    i thought it was a place to talk about general ****, i didnt realize it was a hangout for 13 year old frat girls...not gtfo

I suggest you take a trip to your closest golf outlet and try out 3-4 brands;
    Taylor made;
    Titleist;
    Nike;
    Calaway.
    these stores will let you hit some balls with a monitor that measures your swing speed, etc. This is important, for all drivers nowadays are really good, but, you need the appropriate shaft (regular, stiff, etc)
    Once you find the driver that feels best, go with it. But, i suggest you save your money and not buy a 2013 model at that store.
    you can go on ebay and get yourself a 2012 or 2011 model at half the price.

My personal preference is the Titleist 910D
    hope this helps.

i didnt realize it was a hangout for 13 year old frat girls
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

I play Ping, personally. Ping's from circa 1988.

?

Most Drivers share the same technology... The most important thing is the shaft. The Taylor Made R1 is a nice way to go if you like a white head. Just go to a Dicks and get fitted for the proper shaft. If you like a dark driver both Titleist and Ping are great...

Bewildered Beast

?

You want steady results, or the occasional 300 yard bomb? I like the smaller heads for the 1; but some foursomes are all about the big stuff. Not many are focused enough to keep scores low for a whole round. If your group is such, go the the bomber; you'll get free beers if you can entertain.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 05-11-2013 at 04:10 PM.

?

I just purchased a new driver. I know what you don't want to hear is that you should hit a bunch and get a recommendation from a launch monitor...but that is exactly what you should do. Many times the shaft fitting your swing is infinitely more important than the head. All of the new technologies are good so what gives you confidence at address and gives you the right shot shape off the tee are the most important factors. Many times people have the wrong launch angle or wrong kick point and what ends up happening is you are hitting what look like bombs, but the ball is spinning too much and takes that exponential graph pattern into the sky before falling straight down. If that's happening you're losing like 20-40 yards.

I tried out a bunch of drivers and my favorite three were the Cobra Amp Cell, the Titleist D3 913 and the new Taylor Made R1. The Cobra was super easy to hit, but the shaft was too soft so I was taking that pattern I mentioned before. The new Titleist and Taylor Made are both fantastic drivers and all 3 are adjustable. I don't mess with the neutral, fade or draw settings because I hit pretty straight, but having the ability to adjust loft by +/- 2 degrees is huge as most players don't know or have the right loft and if your swing changes you can adjust your driver on the fly. It's very simple these days unlike the first adjustable drivers which were like a science experiment. I chose the Taylor Made because I loved the look at address and hit it the best, but my local golf pro swears by the Titleist. Hope that helped! Remember any legitimate place can put any shaft in for you if you like a certain driver, but prefer a non-stock shaft. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Most Drivers share the same technology... The most important thing is the shaft. The Taylor Made R1 is a nice way to go if you like a white head. Just go to a Dicks and get fitted for the proper shaft. If you like a dark driver both Titleist and Ping are great...
    So Taylor's shaft and head are fabulous?
    What about the balls? You can't give the shaft all the attention and forget about the balls!

Jets Insider VIP
    Like some of the other buffoons in this thread mentioned, you gotta try a bunch before picking one. I play a 9.5* extra-stiff Srixon Z-TX for the past two years. I hit probably 9 or 10 drivers before deciding.

wow after a slow star some good advice here i am going to stop by Dicks tomorrow, pretty sure they have the monitor setup and you can try out the different drivers on the simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Like some of the other buffoons in this thread mentioned, you gotta try a bunch before picking one. I play a 9.5* extra-stiff Srixon Z-TX for the past two years. I hit probably 9 or 10 drivers before deciding.
    No jokes about shafts or heads? He's all growns up!

Jets Insider VIP
    Handicap 18. A lot depends on how far you hit a drive (clubhead speed) and whether you normally hit straight or tend to slice like most 18s.

It makes sense to go to a Dicks or Golfsmith or better still a club pro and have him suggest what might be best for you-- regular, stiff or lite shaft, lofts etc.

For the record, I'm not a fan of all the new fad adjustable drivers. Most people only set the damn thing once and you can buy a fixed head driver that matches your preferred settings for way less. An unnecessary gimmick for most golfers

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Handicap 18. A lot depends on how far you hit a drive (clubhead speed) and whether you normally hit straight or tend to slice like most 18s.

It makes sense to go to a Dicks or Golfsmith or better still a club pro and have him suggest what might be best for you-- regular, stiff or lite shaft, lofts etc.

For the record, I'm not a fan of all the new fad adjustable drivers. Most people only set the damn thing once and you can buy a fixed head driver that matches your preferred settings for way less. An unnecessary gimmick for most golfers
    i am not big on the adjustable either, although as it was mentioned previously i am sure there are times it comes handy on the fly...just not sure its often enough to justify the cost.