Thread: Oday Aboushi feels honor of Being rare Palestinian- American in the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Oday Aboushi feels honor of Being rare Palestinian- American in the NFL

Jets rookie O-lineman Oday Aboushi feels ‘honor’ of being rare Palestinian-American in NFL

Bill Kostroun/Associated Press -
    AP Updated: Saturday, May 11, 2:37 PM
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The congratulatory messages flooded Oday Aboushi’s Twitter page for a few days after he was drafted by the New York Jets two weeks ago.

Many were happy to see the hometown kid from the New York borough of Staten Island starting his NFL career close to his family and friends. It was the other tweets, first dozens and then hundreds, from places such as Dubai and Saudi Arabia that made the enormity of the situation really sink in.

.As a Palestinian-American, the Jets’ offensive lineman is a rarity in the NFL. Aboushi, drafted in the fifth round out after a standout career at the University of Virginia, is one of just a handful of players with that ethnic background.

“People weren’t just talking about me being a New York Jet, but being one of the first Arab-Americans, a Palestinian-American, to be drafted. It’s settling in now. It’s a different feeling, one that I’m embracing and really loving.”

As are Palestinian-Americans around the country. The short list of NFL players with Palestinian backgrounds includes former linebacker Tarek Saleh; former quarterback Gibran Hamdan, who is half Palestinian and half Pakistani; and former defensive lineman Nader Abdallah.

“You don’t see many of us in the sport,” said Aboushi, who signed a four-year deal Friday. “So for me to kind of break that mold and sort of open the door for other people, and show them that it is possible, it’s a great feeling. It’s a pleasure for me, an honor, and I’m happy to be able to be that sort of person for people.”

The 6-foot-5, 308-pound Aboushi is the ninth of 10 children born in Brooklyn to Palestinian parents who came to the U.S. from the town of Beit Hanina in the occupied territory of the West Bank. His family, which now resides in Staten Island, includes lawyers, doctors and accountants, but Aboushi might end up being the greatest success story of all.

And to some, he already is.

“You can’t underestimate what a big deal this is,” said Linda Sarsour, the executive director of the Arab-American Association of New York. “When a lot of Americans think of Palestinians, I feel like there are two images. There’s either the image of a suicide bomber or an image of some poor refugee in Gaza. There’s really nothing in between.

“Oday, being a young Palestinian-American born to Palestinian immigrant parents in New York and gets drafted by the Jets — the dream of every American boy — I think gives a new image to what it is when you think of Palestinian, when you think Arab and when you think Muslim.”

Sarsour, a fellow Palestinian-American, is a long-time friend of Aboushi’s family. Sarsour’s 14-year-old son, Tamir, has been using a photo of him posing with Aboushi, when the offensive lineman helped Staten Island victims of Superstorm Sandy in December, as his Facebook profile picture.

“He’s a role model for young Arab-American and Muslim people who are trying to find their roles in the community, like, who are we and what can we be in this country at this time?” Sarsour said. “It has been such a profound experience. There are not many times that we feel like this, unfortunately. I can’t remember the last time post-9/11 that I’ve felt this proud and so triumphant and victorious as when Oday was drafted by the New York Jets.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for him I guess, shouldn't really matter though. Just dont tweet anything stupid about Israel and I will wish him all the best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum probably wouldn't have drafted him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I've actually heard tanny isn't Jewish but I find that nearly impossible to believe.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I've actually heard tanny isn't Jewish but I find that nearly impossible to believe.
    Same here

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no Palestine and his parents were born in Jordan. he should focus on football and that's it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! You are probably right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chillster View Post
    There is no Palestine and his parents were born in Jordan. he should focus on football and that's it.
    What school you went to? You should sue them

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah but that probably has more to do with the fact that he was a pretty good offensive lineman.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty retarded to say considering he used a first round pick on MUHAMMED Wilkerson, who comes from a devout Muslim family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chillster View Post
    +1000000

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    What school you went to? You should sue them
    Look who's talking.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the Aboushi pick because he sucked in the senior bowl. D Jones and K Short used him like a turnstile ALL GAME. Any Virginia alums wanna tell me they've seen him play better? I hope so because I've only watched him in that one game, but it was UGLY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    That's pretty retarded to say considering he used a first round pick on MUHAMMED Wilkerson, who comes from a devout Muslim family.
    No ****, was a joke, didn't think a smiley was needed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No jokes about the OLine being explosive this year? I'm disappointed, guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    LOL!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If I didn't realize you were joking, I'd think you were joking. yeah.....

Excuse me now...I need to take my meds.