Thread: Home theater and home automation dorks, click here!

Jets Insider VIP

Home theater and home automation dorks, click here!

Anyone familiar with RTI remote control systems?

We're about to remodel our family room - the wife is picking out new furniture, lighting, rugs, paint, etc. As part of all this I'm getting a cool home theater setup as we're going to try to hide all the electronics...DirecTV box, Blu-ray, HT receiver, Apple TV, even the speakers. Basically, we're pursuing a very clean look with all electronics except the TV hidden. I'm pretty psyched about the whole project...except the price tag of course. But we've been planning to do something like this for a while in a house we're planning to stay in so it's time to bite the bullet.

I've talked to some AV installers who are recommending a setup that is largely based on RTI components and solutions. The existing TV will be mounted on a wall, they'll install 5 in-ceiling directional Speakercraft speakers for home theater, and then all my components (mentioned above) will be racked in a SnapAV rack in a closet under the staircase with wire routed through the ceiling. The whole thing will be managed and controlled by an RTI XP-3 remote control processor (http://www.rticorp.com/products/xp3.html), the RTiPanel app (http://www.rticorp.com/products/rtipanel.html) to use iPad and iPhone as a remote, RTI AD-4 distributed audio system (http://www.rticorp.com/products/ad4.html) to give whole-house audio to speakers upstairs and outside the house and some other stuff.

Questions...

- Has anyone used RTI remote technology and home automation components before? The most advanced I've ever gotten is a Logitech Harmony remote that I could program myself.

- What about Speakercraft directional speakers? I am somewhat nervous about replacing traditional floor-standing speakers with speakers that will reside in the ceiling. The AV guys I've spoken with swear by these speakers though, even for music. They are recommending 8" Speakercraft AIM 8 One series (http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=40)

- Has anyone used home automation (remote light turn-on, thermostat controls, security, etc.) based on the Zigbee protocol? Zigbee is an 802 standard-based communications protocol for wirelessly communicating (two way), similar to Z-Wave. The RTI XP-3 has a built in Zigbee transceiver that would allow me to add wireless switches, thermostats, locks, etc. that could be controlled by the RTI iPad and iPhone app.

- Finally, should I just ditch this whole plan and go with Kenmore stuff?

I am VERY familiar with all of the stuff you're talking about.

RTI remotes are pretty decent. I've had to replace several of them, but it's pretty much as easy as uploading the working code.

I'm not a fan of in-ceiling speakers for fronts/mains, but if you're gonna do in-ceiling over in-wall directional is a MUST!

Typically I only like them for surrounds though.

You're not gonna get as good audio quality as you would with floor-standing speakers... Unless you go with something like Triads, which are VERY pricey.

Also, the size/shape of the room is very important. I've done some theaters that sounded like utter garbage with in-ceilings, and some that sounded incredible.

SpeakerCraft is a good brand though, they actually started the in-ceiling speakers if I remember correctly. At least that's what Speakercraft's CEO told me.

What about a sub? You'll need a sub with those types of speakers. Good thing is you can put the sub anywhere... bass is non-directional.

Just for perspective,
    The co I worked for used RTI remotes with Crestron Processing in jobs in the 6 figure range.

I have personally used the AIM 8's as well. I was pleasantly surprised with them, but they won't come close to a set of B&W or Martin Logan speakers.

What are you listening with now? What kind of receiver are you planning on powering them with?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Just for perspective,
    The co I worked for used RTI remotes with Crestron Processing in jobs in the 6 figure range.

I have personally used the AIM 8's as well. I was pleasantly surprised with them, but they won't come close to a set of B&W or Martin Logan speakers.

What are you listening with now? What kind of receiver are you planning on powering them with?
    Thanks for the reply and the info.

My existing stuff that I plan to keep is as follows...

Samsung 60" 1080P LED-TV
    Onkyo TX-SR805 home theater receiver
    Martin Logan Dynamo 500 subwoofer

The in-ceiling speakers will replace my current Definitive Technology Mythos speakers. This is my biggest concern. It's still an option for me to use the Def Techs in the system although I'll have to fight hard for them as the in-ceiling option is definitely the most hidden, minimalist option from a visual standpoint.

I hear you on positioning and aiming the Speakercraft AIM 8's. I'll probably want to work closely with the installer on selecting exactly where they'll be installed, positioned, etc.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-14-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    mandatory 'how far away from your TV will you be sitting' joke

Jets Insider VIP
    I have nobel fidelity in wall and in ceiling speakers (9 total) and denon reciever. I did all the work myself. Nobel if you give them them your floor plan will design the speaker locations and models you need. The sound amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This.

Jets Insider VIP
    Looked into home automation, but can't find a compelling reason to go for it. I already have programmable thermostats, and if I buy a module for my central A/C, it will email me stuff its doing. big deal. My car does that. *yawn*

I'm going to be ditching Slomins security for a better system sometime this year: better coverage with wireless.

A big NO on the Kenmore: its strictly for the nouveau riche and similar poseurs, and is tres gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and the info.

My existing stuff that I plan to keep is as follows...

Samsung 60" 1080P LED-TV
    Onkyo TX-SR805 home theater receiver
    Martin Logan Dynamo 500 subwoofer

The in-ceiling speakers will replace my current Definitive Technology Mythos speakers. This is my biggest concern. It's still an option for me to use the Def Techs in the system although I'll have to fight hard for them as the in-ceiling option is definitely the most hidden, minimalist option from a visual standpoint.

I hear you on positioning and aiming the Speakercraft AIM 8's. I'll probably want to work closely with the installer on selecting exactly where they'll be installed, positioned, etc.
    Nice gear!
    I forget if the Mythos are the really low-profile smaller Def Techs that I'm thinking...
    Those are nice speakers either way. If it were me, assuming you'll be listening to a lot of music on that system, I'd try to keep the def tecs... They're just superior speakers all around.

But if you're mainly just gonna be watching tv and movies the I-C's should be more than sufficient.

Like I said, I put those exact SpeakerCraft AIM 8's in a 5.1 media room not so long ago and I was very surprised with them.
    They actually had a very good sound field and imaging for in-ceiling speakers... You could definitely do worse!

And you could always use the Def Techs in a separate 2 channel system.

*edit; FYI those AIM's are pretty flexible on where you can put them (within reason) I remember I was forced to put them in on another job in a very odd placement that the builder insisted on for some crazy reason and I thought it was gonna sound ALL fvcked up. After I positioned the drivers it actually sounded a lot better than I thought it would.

Also, SC's work very well with Onkyo.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 05-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Golden Ear is the next gen Def Tec; AV writers are spooging themselves writing reviews on them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    far enough

Jets Insider VIP
    buncha dorks in this thread

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Golden Ear is the next gen Def Tec; AV writers are spooging themselves writing reviews on them.
    Yeah they are, pretty much have been since they came out. I've been dying to check them out for a while but then I'll just want some and I have no reason to replace what I currently have.