Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Geno impresses with smarts and accuracy today, Rex impressed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If you watched enough WVU games you would realize that they had a ton of trouble on the offensive line. They had to rotate players at RT for much of the season and the rest of the line was nothing special. So its tough to judge one player versus the other when you aren't factoring in supporting casts. I am not suggesting that Cuse had a great offensive line, but at the very least they had Justin Pugh who was the 19th pick in the draft.

This is from a recap of a game against Maryland (who was terrible last year- and is always terrible):

Bad: Offensive line
    Not a step forward because they took too many steps backward. Geno Smith was sacked twice and hit many, many other times and the longest run was eight yards early in the fourth quarter. WVU had been averaging 7.4 yards per carry, which was No. 2 nationally. The 25 yards on 25 carries was the lowest rushing total in 16 years.

WVU had 68 snaps Saturday and 12 went for a loss or gained no yards including six runs. That kills WVUs schedule.

This was a factor in the game, too, and Dana knew it. WVUs average third down was with 9.4 yards to go, which means first and second downs generally stunk. WVU had been running effectively on all three downs and converting most of its third downs, but not against Maryland. Only once did WVU need fewer than four yards to convert a third down and only once did WVU run on third down and that was the 15th and final third down of the day, a seven-yard gain by Andrew Buie on third-and-6 that, I can only assume, must have caught Maryland off guard.

I wonder if changes are coming now. WVU looked all right when Jenkins was out and Spain was inside at guard with Nick Kindler at left tackle and Bill Bedenbaugh has been consistently supportive of Kindler.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2012/...vu-v-maryland/
    for some reason I'm actually happy to read that geno's used to playing with a crap OL. sanchez had the luxury of developing behind a truly great OL, and once he got a taste of the wayne F hunter experience he crumbled. it's like haloti ngata's footsteps are forever haunting this kid

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must have missed that...I do not recall that. Gino started 3 years in college and thus far has looked sharp...does it mean a lot? no but at least its progress....him making a simple check off like that is actually important. I also in no way will ever compare sanchez to smith....regardless of what people said about him when he first got here. Gino Smith is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing and he will get props regardless of how small the feat.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It was a few yrs ago this board was saying Sanchez had the IT factor.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the people who want him to sit and develop are not aware that [art of the deal is to see if ALL the quarterbacks can fight for the job....this talk of throwing him to the wolves is absurd....this team has more than enough veterans...they make it seem as if the entire offense is rookies. Ginos smiths goal is to START....if he is not yet good enough then he will sit and wait....that's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I havent seen anyone here "clamoring" for him to start. I think we all want the best for 2013 as well as the best for the future.

The thing all the people who are saying "sit him in 2013 and let him develop" should remember that Rex has a job, reputation, career, and competitiveness all which will lead him to playing the best player NOW.

Would everyone who wants to develop geno on the bench risk their own job if they had a great young employee under them who they could use to further their own career?

Rex will start whoever the best QB for the 2013 jets is, not who is best for the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    gEno. Good Lord...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they can invent as many stories as they want but if smith keeps responding the way he does then it does not matter....the best thing smith said was that HE COULD CARE LESS what they say...that means he does not care so no one needs to talk about the media hurting him....the media will have NO impact on smith...how can it? The man is squeaky clean and focusing on football...the media can do as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    You jest. The NY media will invent a story if one doesn't exist. Watch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    slow down from what???????? whats to slow down from??? He picked apart oklahomas defense....he had a stellar college career...you want to break down ryan nassibs career to see who he played? or EJ Manual? No one is calling the gino joe Namath, who said he is that good? people are just saying that its possible that he will start.....he has the same shot as sanchez/Garrard. not sure what your point is about if he was that good...Russell Wilson went into the 3rd round....the eagles took barkley in the 4th round and some are saying that he may get into the mix. Gino IS good...he is good enough that he will have a shot at the 2013 starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Can anyone give me a quality defense Smith Played against where he excelled? A top defense? I think people really need to slow down. If this guy was that good, he would have went in round 1. It's obvious a lot of people have their doubts about him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    how do you know that he will be overwhelmed? and screw the media...who the hell is the media? have you seen how smith has handled those a holes thus far? next year is a rebuilding year? do you work for the jets?? this may shock you but the jets coaches who are actually dealing with gino knows what they are doing.....they know more than some fan. look at your post.....gino has a shot to start...is that a crime? if he is not ready then Garrard or sanchez will win....why is that an issue....if he is ready why wait? we are in may...we have ota's and training camp...you have NO clue as to how smith will fare. LOL some of you truly believe you know more than NFL coaches......that is truly hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Why so he gets overwhelmed and absolutely crushed by the media so we can win 8 games next year? What the hell is all the urgency, next year is a rebuilding year, let him perfect the offense for a year on the bench, or at least half a year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    slow down from what???????? whats to slow down from??? He picked apart oklahomas defense....he had a stellar college career...you want to break down ryan nassibs career to see who he played? or EJ Manual? No one is calling the gino joe Namath, who said he is that good? people are just saying that its possible that he will start.....he has the same shot as sanchez/Garrard. not sure what your point is about if he was that good...Russell Wilson went into the 3rd round....the eagles took barkley in the 4th round and some are saying that he may get into the mix. Gino IS good...he is good enough that he will have a shot at the 2013 starting job.
    Even drafted QB and their mothers have stellar college careers . Means little

Nobody has a clue what this guy will be. Nobody. He will most likely stink up the joint for a couple seasons even if he does turn out to be good. Ask Eli Manning and Dres Brees. Odds are not in his favor that he will be that good

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    dude don't waste your breath....these people are making Judgement based on one game....they did not even see the man play college ball....I watch as must college ball as pro football and seen many of smiths games at WVU.....you apparently have watched a few WVU games so you also have more than a clue that the kid was a stud. Now all of a sudden they are questioning the defenses he played against. this is some of the most idiotic banter I have seen lol. it's MAY. I will make my assumption come pre season.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If you watched enough WVU games you would realize that they had a ton of trouble on the offensive line. They had to rotate players at RT for much of the season and the rest of the line was nothing special. So its tough to judge one player versus the other when you aren't factoring in supporting casts. I am not suggesting that Cuse had a great offensive line, but at the very least they had Justin Pugh who was the 19th pick in the draft.

This is from a recap of a game against Maryland (who was terrible last year- and is always terrible):

Bad: Offensive line
    Not a step forward because they took too many steps backward. Geno Smith was sacked twice and hit many, many other times and the longest run was eight yards early in the fourth quarter. WVU had been averaging 7.4 yards per carry, which was No. 2 nationally. The 25 yards on 25 carries was the lowest rushing total in 16 years.

WVU had 68 snaps Saturday and 12 went for a loss or gained no yards including six runs. That kills WVUs schedule.

This was a factor in the game, too, and Dana knew it. WVUs average third down was with 9.4 yards to go, which means first and second downs generally stunk. WVU had been running effectively on all three downs and converting most of its third downs, but not against Maryland. Only once did WVU need fewer than four yards to convert a third down and only once did WVU run on third down and that was the 15th and final third down of the day, a seven-yard gain by Andrew Buie on third-and-6 that, I can only assume, must have caught Maryland off guard.

I wonder if changes are coming now. WVU looked all right when Jenkins was out and Spain was inside at guard with Nick Kindler at left tackle and Bill Bedenbaugh has been consistently supportive of Kindler.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2012/...vu-v-maryland/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    how do you know that he will be overwhelmed? and screw the media...who the hell is the media? have you seen how smith has handled those a holes thus far? next year is a rebuilding year? do you work for the jets?? this may shock you but the jets coaches who are actually dealing with gino knows what they are doing.....they know more than some fan. look at your post.....gino has a shot to start...is that a crime? if he is not ready then Garrard or sanchez will win....why is that an issue....if he is ready why wait? we are in may...we have ota's and training camp...you have NO clue as to how smith will fare. LOL some of you truly believe you know more than NFL coaches......that is truly hilarious.

GEEEEno. No i

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.
    If Sanchez can start right away so can Geno.

Garrard will be out (hurt) by Game 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    very valid point but how about we wait and see how it turns out? if he is not ready then he will sit. some people just don't get this feel that he HAS to sit in 2013....if he is not ready then so be it....NO ONE knows that in May.

Even drafted QB and their mothers have stellar college careers . Means little

Nobody has a clue what this guy will be. Nobody. He will most likely stink up the joint for a couple seasons even if he does turn out to be good. Ask Eli Manning and Dres Brees. Odds are not in his favor that he will be that good

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone give me a quality defense Smith Played against where he excelled? A top defense? I think people really need to slow down. If this guy was that good, he would have went in round 1. It's obvious a lot of people have their doubts about him
    LSU

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Kapernicke, Bree's amongst many defy your statement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you might also add Russell Wilson....as for the doubts...funny how they did not surface until AFTER the jets drafted him....too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My statement was many have their doubts. How does the above defy my statement? And if we were to bet whether or not Geno would,turn out to be Brady , Brees or Montana you would most likely be out some change

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.
    You should answer this question and then rethin your statement.

Is the Offense and OC that Geno smith is about to experience the same as what he ran his final yrs in West Virginia ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I agree with you. I am tired of Sanchez and his sulking ways. He fails true leadership qualities in my opinion. I liked when I read that GENO called aPLAYERS ONLY meeting the night before rookie camp opened. I am sure that some will be running now to find a positive article about Sanchez etc. I get a laugh out of guys who waffle all the time. When Sanchez wa splaying bad last year they were in the forefront that he must go. Now they defend him in their own ways. Sorry but I think he has to earn the job and keep on earning it or be traded or cut.
    Or some post information and sound, sensible logic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please add Johnny Unitas to that list! I think Russel Wilson also qualifies. Kurt Warner, Warren Moon can all be added to your respons which I agree with!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Or some post information and sound, sensible logic.
    should I make it the opinion of the moment?