Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno impresses with smarts and accuracy today, Rex impressed

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Sanchez started one year in college..Gino started three...that makes a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    Marty isn't making the call though, and based on the last two years, I don't think he or any other OC in the NFL for that matter, would want Sanchez as their QB over a promising rookie. You can put it in the books that Geno was drafted to be the starter on day 1, not to hold a clipboard, especially for a stiff like Sanchez. I feel quite confident that Geno will have no problem taking the starting role from someone who was literally the worst QB in the NFL over the last two years.

Experience is the best teacher, not holding a clipboard, in my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Thats what I am feeling is going to happen...Garrard is also healthy but so many here are pretty much waiting for him to get hurt. The man is 35 and not 50....if he stays healthy we will have a competent QB to hold the fort down till Gino is ready. If Gino wins the job then he flat out earned it. If healthy, I do not see either smith or sanchez beating out Garrard.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Garrard will start in 2013 and, not only do an effective job of not pissing away game after game after game with interceptions and buttfumbles but also groom and mentor Smith to be the Jets franchise QB in 2014 and, hopefully, long after

This will all be an easy decision and orderly transition after June 1 when T6 follows Tbow out the door of the Florham Park facility

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I don't think Marty will make the same mistake with Smith that Schottenheimer and Rex made with Sanchez, which was to bring him along too quickly. Sanchez may have benefitted greatly from carrying a clipboard for a year or two. Marty won't mess this kid up by playing him before he's ready or before the team is ready to support him.
    Sanchez could have sat and watched for 5 years. The guy can barely hit 60% of his passes Behind the LOS. He has some of the worst accuracy ever seen at the NFL level, no amount of watching or coaching is a remedy for that. The amount of picks he throws to D linemen is unprecedented.

Hall Of Fame
    Thats why even though he is going to get a shot to start, I just don't see if happening...he is just not a good QB....he is what he is...if he proves me wrong, I won't be complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Sanchez could have sat and watched for 5 years. The guy can barely hit 60% of his passes Behind the LOS. He has some of the worst accuracy ever seen at the NFL level, no amount of watching or coaching is a remedy for that. The amount of picks he throws to D linemen is unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    This kid has that IT factor....smarts and common sense.....for a rookie to do this says a lot....it's little things like this that shows you he will be a leader.
    It was a few yrs ago this board was saying Sanchez had the IT factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Why cant people see this...

The same folks clamouring from him to start day one will be the same ones booing him and insulting him saying "he was given all of the tools to win, he just isnt any good" when it takes satistically at least three years in the NFL to develop into a quality NFL QB......

The recent exceptions notwithstanding, it takes time to master the pro NFL game.
    I havent seen anyone here "clamoring" for him to start. I think we all want the best for 2013 as well as the best for the future.

The thing all the people who are saying "sit him in 2013 and let him develop" should remember that Rex has a job, reputation, career, and competitiveness all which will lead him to playing the best player NOW.

Would everyone who wants to develop geno on the bench risk their own job if they had a great young employee under them who they could use to further their own career?

Rex will start whoever the best QB for the 2013 jets is, not who is best for the future.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Rex impressed? I remember the Terminator--just saw him on a replay of Hard Knocks.
    Please go away

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I am intrigued by all I have read about Geno and his take charge personality. I hope he is the real deal and quiets his pundits and haters!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But it turned into the sh## factor rather quickly when he was asked to carry more of the offense!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    It's too boring....hence no story....I have a feeling they will get tired of Gino because e is just being focused and focusing on football...he also said he could care less what these sources say about him. As time goes by the edia will have less and less fodder....there is no longer a story.....look at the jets right now....its just about football.
    You jest. The NY media will invent a story if one doesn't exist. Watch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I don't think Marty will make the same mistake with Smith that Schottenheimer and Rex made with Sanchez, which was to bring him along too quickly. Sanchez may have benefitted greatly from carrying a clipboard for a year or two. Marty won't mess this kid up by playing him before he's ready or before the team is ready to support him.
    You must remember perhaps Geno is much closer to being ready then Sanchez was. Geno started in college his entire time. Mark only could get in during his last year. Thus he was/is raw but maybe finally getting there!

If Geno is close to being ready he should get the bulk of the playing time. He is our future;not Sanchez! We must do all we can to get him completely up to speed. He is more talented then Russel Wilson and IMO can start like Wilson did based on his experience and talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But it turned into the sh## factor rather quickly when he was asked to carry more of the offense!
    All these posts saying how great Geno has been this weekend, by writers, posters, and Rex, is the same stuff that was said May 2009...And I posted the Coughlin/Nassib article because he is saying the same thing about his rookie QB...People need to get a grasp of things, this is a rookie mini-camp..And no, this isn't a pro-sanchez or anti-Smith post..It's just a reality check for many, who of course if Geno (hopefully not) ****s the bed in 3 yrs, will be posting here how terrible a QB he is and how it was a horrendous pick by Idzik/Jets..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'd rather have Garrard start this year while we develop Geno and build an offense around the QB position itself. Unless guys like Rogers, Hill, Kerley, Pantele, Winters, etc. suddenly turn it on right away, I don't really see the point in throwing the rookie to the wolves.

Let'em develop.?.Bull****..Welcome to the NFL,if this kid brings a spark and attitude to the offense he needs to start.

All League
    Can anyone give me a quality defense Smith Played against where he excelled? A top defense? I think people really need to slow down. If this guy was that good, he would have went in round 1. It's obvious a lot of people have their doubts about him

All Pro
    Shotty, and Cavanaugh coach it right out of him. Stop making plays, and start being safe. Well we all know the first thing they tell you is not to aim the ball, just throw it. This is what happened to Sanchez, only exponentially. Now you add in the fact that his confidence is completely blown, and we has a mess. I always was concerned that he was a little effeminate, but I hoped since he was so young he would grow out of it. Apparently not. You can't afford to be docile as an NFL QB. Geno already looks like he's all business. Looks people in the eye. Breaking down concepts to his lineman. Getting people in the proper position, and raising expectations. I know this makes him a punk, but I've had enough with the wall flower QBs around here...and no practical jokes, I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.
    That's probably not what Aaron Rogers thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Let'em develop.?.Bull****..Welcome to the NFL,if this kid brings a spark and attitude to the offense he needs to start.
    Why so he gets overwhelmed and absolutely crushed by the media so we can win 8 games next year? What the hell is all the urgency, next year is a rebuilding year, let him perfect the offense for a year on the bench, or at least half a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Rex impressed? I remember the Terminator--just saw him on a replay of Hard Knocks.
    Yeah, it doesn't take much.

Rex also thinks Hayden Smith is "uncoverable" because last year against Rex's defense they couldn't stop him in practice... nevermind that our defense was awful against ALL tight ends last year. Statistical data is irrelevant to Rex, he relies solely upon the eyeball test... and where it concerns offense, that's an underwhelming barometer for evaluation.

He also had to have Plax, because of 30 seconds of game film from 3 years before we signed him. LOL

So glad Idzik has taken on the job of protecting Rex from Rex... Tanny was a lap dog.
    Last edited by John McClane; 05-12-2013 at 09:01 AM.

All League
    All these posts saying how great Geno has been this weekend, by writers, posters, and Rex, is the same stuff that was said May 2009...And I posted the Coughlin/Nassib article because he is saying the same thing about his rookie QB...People need to get a grasp of things, this is a rookie mini-camp..And no, this isn't a pro-sanchez or anti-Smith post..It's just a reality check for many, who of course if Geno (hopefully not) ****s the bed in 3 yrs, will be posting here how terrible a QB he is and how it was a horrendous pick by Idzik/Jets..
    The way Sanchez has been treated by Jet fans, mostly deserved, Smith will have no time to develop. He should be given three years to start to play well, Jet fans will give him about 10 games. Mark my words

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Can anyone give me a quality defense Smith Played against where he excelled? A top defense? I think people really need to slow down. If this guy was that good, he would have went in round 1. It's obvious a lot of people have their doubts about him
    Why don't you watch the film? The more I see, and hear from him the more I like the pick. He played great in all but those two games in the middle of the season. He ran a uniquely freaky pistol offense that is difficult to describe. That's why it will take him some time to adjust, and why he slid in my opinion. We'll see what happens, but obviously a lot of great QBs have been selected after the first round, and a lot of horrible ones have gone 1st overall.