Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno impresses with smarts and accuracy today, Rex impressed

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Shotty, and Cavanaugh coach it right out of him. Stop making plays, and start being safe. Well we all know the first thing they tell you is not to aim the ball, just throw it. This is what happened to Sanchez, only exponentially. Now you add in the fact that his confidence is completely blown, and we has a mess. I always was concerned that he was a little effeminate, but I hoped since he was so young he would grow out of it. Apparently not. You can't afford to be docile as an NFL QB. Geno already looks like he's all business. Looks people in the eye. Breaking down concepts to his lineman. Getting people in the proper position, and raising expectations. I know this makes him a punk, but I've had enough with the wall flower QBs around here...and no practical jokes, I'll bet.
    So did Rex..The color card was his idea

And I'm guessing Sanchez did that too May 2009 during his rookie mini-camp

Mark Sanchez displaying leadership qualities at New York Jets rookie minicamp

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger
    on May 01, 2009 at 9:14 PM, updated May 01, 2009 at 10:32 PM

On Thursday night, the Jets coaching staff handed out playbooks to rookies and first-year players with 18 plays on offense and eight plays on defense. No meetings. No reviews. Players were on their own.

Friday morning, coach Rex Ryan was impressed by the precision of the offense during the first practice of a three-day rookie minicamp at Florham Park. After all, the unit had the plays for less than 24 hours. He was expecting chaos.

Following practice, Ryan learned why the offense operated so smoothly. Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez -- drafted with the No. 5 overall pick last weekend -- had called an impromptu meeting with the offense to review the plays. He then went to his hotel room and practiced calling plays in the mirror.

"That's kind of impressive," Ryan said between workouts. "That's the kind of young man we brought in here."

Sanchez, the early favorite to be the Opening Day starter, had spent the better part of a week getting the A-list treatment in Manhattan. He did interviews at Radio City, went shopping and had dinner at the city's five-star restaurants. He rode the subways. He threw out the first pitch at a Mets game.

Now the gym rat and football junkie in him was coming out.

"It was a whirlwind tour," Sanchez said. "It's a fun city. It's beautiful. But this is my home right here. ... It's time to get to work."

Sanchez made quite a first impression. He displayed the ability to make all the throws, completing 17 of 31 passes with one interception in seven-on-seven drills, and 6-of-8 in 11-on-11 drills. He was especially sharp throwing the deep-out pattern that dogged Chad Pennington for years. He threw tight spirals and was accurate. He showed traits of being a natural born leader, constantly encouraging his teammates.

"This is a very successful first day," said Sanchez, adding that he and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer really hit it off.

Sanchez will battle Kellen Clemens for the starting job this season. With the high profile of his draft selection, Sanchez will get the job unless he completely bombs.

Ryan made it clear he would have no problem starting a rookie quarterback, pointing to the success of the Ravens' Joe Flacco, who led Baltimore to the AFC title game last season as a rookie.

Flacco, however, got the job by default when quarterbacks Troy Smith (tonsillitis) and Kyle Boller (shoulder) were sidelined.

"I thought it was pretty obvious by the time we got out of organized team activities (last offseason) that by far and away (Flacco) was our best quarterback," said Ryan, who coached 10 seasons with the Ravens. "Now, it was also obvious to me that wasn't the direction Baltimore wanted to go. ... It just so happened we had no choice.

"Up until last year there was a stigma that you don't win with a rookie quarterback. I think we proved that wrong. If your team is good enough, you can win with anybody."

Sanchez realizes the bar has been raised.

"They (Flacco and Atlanta's Matt Ryan) were really anomalies among rookies," Sanchez said. "(But) for me to be successful this year, it's about the defense playing well, playing well on special teams and the offense moving the ball efficiently. It's not just on the quarterback."

Nonetheless, Sanchez knows the pressure is on.

"(The fans) want to win," he said. "They want results. And when you don't win and there's a problem, they want to know why. ... I'm here to learn this playbook as fast as I can, mesh with the guys and start to lead. That's the game plan."

Notes: Ryan refused to rule out the possibility of signing ex-Giants WR Plaxico Burress. He said the Jets called his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, to get an update on his legal situation. "We'll let that situation happen and we'll see," Ryan said. "I want to see our guys through these camps. Let's see what we have here." ... Ryan mentioned DE Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers), LB Brian Toal (Boston College) and TE Jack Simmons (Minnesota) as players who caught his eye. ... Second-year WR Marcus Henry (6-4) and speedy rookie free-agent tryout RB Allen Patrick (Oklahoma) were impressive. ... Third-round pick, RB Shonn Greene, struggled catching the ball.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...ng_leader.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.

All League
    Why don't you watch the film? The more I see, and hear from him the more I like the pick. He played great in all but those two games in the middle of the season. He ran a uniquely freaky pistol offense that is difficult to describe. That's why it will take him some time to adjust, and why he slid in my opinion. We'll see what happens, but obviously a lot of great QBs have been selected after the first round, and a lot of horrible ones have gone 1st overall.
    I have watched , and most of the film were against garbage defenses. I watched the entire Syracuse game, and Nassib impressed me more

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    All these posts saying how great Geno has been this weekend, by writers, posters, and Rex, is the same stuff that was said May 2009...And I posted the Coughlin/Nassib article because he is saying the same thing about his rookie QB...People need to get a grasp of things, this is a rookie mini-camp..And no, this isn't a pro-sanchez or anti-Smith post..It's just a reality check for many, who of course if Geno (hopefully not) ****s the bed in 3 yrs, will be posting here how terrible a QB he is and how it was a horrendous pick by Idzik/Jets..
    Cmart - Every post and tweet you put on here is great and appreciated by the majority of fans on the board.

If people cant read between the lines that its a minicamp, thats there own fault.

Its good that there are positive things coming out about Geno, more the audible thing then anything else since I dont think sanchez has called an audible his whole career. I dont think anyone has him in the HOF just yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I have watched , and most of the film were against garbage defenses. I watched the entire Syracuse game, and Nassib impressed me more
    Just wondering, but wasn't WVU's D giving up something like 40 ppg? Not really trying to defend Geno here, more of a question about how good was Nassib in that game.

Nothing more retarded than fans proclaiming today that geno must or can't start. Just sheer stupidity. It depend on a ton of factors that can't be predicted.like how well geno learns the offense and how well his competition plays.

Geno has more experience than tannehill so there is no reason to think he can't be ready for day one.but obnoxiously if his transition is slower than you go with whichever veteran impresses the most.

All Pro

On Thursday night, the Jets coaching staff handed out playbooks to rookies and first-year players with 18 plays on offense and eight plays on defense. No meetings. No reviews. Players were on their own.

Friday morning, coach Rex Ryan was impressed by the precision of the offense during the first practice of a three-day rookie minicamp at Florham Park. After all, the unit had the plays for less than 24 hours. He was expecting chaos.

Following practice, Ryan learned why the offense operated so smoothly. Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez -- drafted with the No. 5 overall pick last weekend -- had called an impromptu meeting with the offense to review the plays. He then went to his hotel room and practiced calling plays in the mirror.

"That's kind of impressive," Ryan said between workouts. "That's the kind of young man we brought in here."

Sanchez, the early favorite to be the Opening Day starter, had spent the better part of a week getting the A-list treatment in Manhattan. He did interviews at Radio City, went shopping and had dinner at the city's five-star restaurants. He rode the subways. He threw out the first pitch at a Mets game.

"It was a whirlwind tour," Sanchez said. "It's a fun city. It's beautiful. But this is my home right here. ... It's time to get to work."

Sanchez made quite a first impression. He displayed the ability to make all the throws, completing 17 of 31 passes with one interception in seven-on-seven drills, and 6-of-8 in 11-on-11 drills. He was especially sharp throwing the deep-out pattern that dogged Chad Pennington for years. He threw tight spirals and was accurate. He showed traits of being a natural born leader, constantly encouraging his teammates.

"This is a very successful first day," said Sanchez, adding that he and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer really hit it off.

Sanchez will battle Kellen Clemens for the starting job this season. With the high profile of his draft selection, Sanchez will get the job unless he completely bombs.

Ryan made it clear he would have no problem starting a rookie quarterback, pointing to the success of the Ravens' Joe Flacco, who led Baltimore to the AFC title game last season as a rookie.

Flacco, however, got the job by default when quarterbacks Troy Smith (tonsillitis) and Kyle Boller (shoulder) were sidelined.

"I thought it was pretty obvious by the time we got out of organized team activities (last offseason) that by far and away (Flacco) was our best quarterback," said Ryan, who coached 10 seasons with the Ravens. "Now, it was also obvious to me that wasn't the direction Baltimore wanted to go. ... It just so happened we had no choice.

"Up until last year there was a stigma that you don't win with a rookie quarterback. I think we proved that wrong. If your team is good enough, you can win with anybody."

Sanchez realizes the bar has been raised.

"They (Flacco and Atlanta's Matt Ryan) were really anomalies among rookies," Sanchez said. "(But) for me to be successful this year, it's about the defense playing well, playing well on special teams and the offense moving the ball efficiently. It's not just on the quarterback."

Nonetheless, Sanchez knows the pressure is on.

"(The fans) want to win," he said. "They want results. And when you don't win and there's a problem, they want to know why. ... I'm here to learn this playbook as fast as I can, mesh with the guys and start to lead. That's the game plan."

Notes: Ryan refused to rule out the possibility of signing ex-Giants WR Plaxico Burress. He said the Jets called his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, to get an update on his legal situation. "We'll let that situation happen and we'll see," Ryan said. "I want to see our guys through these camps. Let's see what we have here." ... Ryan mentioned DE Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers), LB Brian Toal (Boston College) and TE Jack Simmons (Minnesota) as players who caught his eye. ... Second-year WR Marcus Henry (6-4) and speedy rookie free-agent tryout RB Allen Patrick (Oklahoma) were impressive. ... Third-round pick, RB Shonn Greene, struggled catching the ball.

Sorry, but after all these years, I've yet to see sanchez look anyone in the eye, and he doesn't demand anything. He asks politely while looking at his shoes. He did used to get fired up. Remember him head butting players as they came out of the huddle? They coached that fire out of him, but still he was never a leader. Eugene gets criticized for this attitude, which I think we need. It doesn't mean anything if he can't play, but I'm saying I don't think his attitude is a bad thing.

Veteran
    Sorry, but after all these years, I've yet to see sanchez look anyone in the eye, and he doesn't demand anything. He asks politely while looking at his shoes.
    You got all that from watching TV? Impressive!

To each his own, but I felt Nassib was just as bad as Smith was that game. Here is a tape of Smith against Texas, who featured Vacarro, Okafor and Jeffcoat amongst others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOMUjoTOyI

It's impressive for sure, but it is seven-on-seven against fellow rookies. We'll see what happens come Training Camp/Preseason and such. Unless he really ****s the bed the job should be Geno's. Rookie's barely ever sit anymore, and neither should he. If Ryan Tannehill can start (don't give me Garrard won ****, they hadn't played a single game yet) with Reggie Bush and a bunch of garbage on offense, Geno can start here with a solid LT, an All-Pro C and Holmes and Kerley at WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    It's impressive for sure, but it is seven-on-seven against fellow rookies. We'll see what happens come Training Camp/Preseason and such. Unless he really ****s the bed the job should be Geno's. Rookie's barely ever sit anymore, and neither should he. If Ryan Tannehill can start (don't give me Garrard won ****, they hadn't played a single game yet) with Reggie Bush and a bunch of garbage on offense, Geno can start here with a solid LT, an All-Pro C and Holmes and Kerley at WR.
    Agree 100%, I made the same point in another thread. Players learn from playing, not sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agree 100%, I made the same point in another thread. Players learn from playing, not sitting.
    Haha. I just commented on said thread.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    To each his own, but I felt Nassib was just as bad as Smith was that game. Here is a tape of Smith against Texas, who featured Vacarro, Okafor and Jeffcoat amongst others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOMUjoTOyI
    I'm pretty sure they were a well below average defense. I'm not a college football guy, but they gave up close to 30 pts a game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I liked reading this part:

Many of Smith's completions came on screen passes. At West Virginia, he threw a lot of screens, so there probably was a comfort level. He threw most of his passes to tight ends and backs, showing excellent velocity and decent ball placement. There weren't many chances for him to show his touch and timing.

I realize that actual playing time is a great teacher, but what is the hurry. Let's get the O'line together. Let the playbook sink in and develop MM's system before we have Geno start. There will be too much scrutiny at the beginning of the season. We don't have a system in place and a bunch of veterans on our offense to make the transition to the NFL smooth for a rookie QB. Here is our schedule >

Sep 8
    Tampa Bay
    1:00pm (FOX)
    Sep 12
    @New England
    8:25pm (NFLN)
    Sep 22
    Buffalo
    4:25pm (CBS)
    Sep 29
    @Tennessee
    4:05pm (CBS)
    Oct 7
    @Atlanta
    8:40pm (ESPN)
    Oct 13
    Pittsburgh
    1:00pm (CBS)
    Oct 20
    New England
    Oct 27
    @Cincinnati
    Nov 3
    New Orleans
    1:00pm (FOX)
    Nov 10
    Bye
    Bye
    Nov 17
    @Buffalo
    Nov 24
    @Baltimore
    Dec 1
    Miami
    Dec 8
    Oakland
    Dec 15
    @Carolina
    Dec 22
    Cleveland
    Dec 29
    @Miami

Do we really want to put Geno Smith in a brand new system, with rookies on the O'line (possibly) and a suspect group of skill players in the New York Media spotlight and send him on the road to play NE in Prime Time or Baltimore or face the Steelers' Defense.

We need to get the system in place and players around Geno set. We need to let Geno adapt to the NFL without the pressure. If circumstances dictate that we let Geno start later in the season, then okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.
    Yeah Tannehill is the model by which all future QB's should be developed

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yeah Tannehill is the model by which all future QB's should be developed
    Right? Hell, he only started because, oddly enough, Garrard got injured.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Cmart - Every post and tweet you put on here is great and appreciated by the majority of fans on the board.

If people cant read between the lines that its a minicamp, thats there own fault.

Its good that there are positive things coming out about Geno, more the audible thing then anything else since I dont think sanchez has called an audible his whole career. I dont think anyone has him in the HOF just yet.....
    Agreed....CMART is, IMO, the most informative poster on this board. I disagree with him rarely and when I do, a few posts later, I see his point and change mine.

Except that VLAD sucks and I don't care what the scouts said....

A few things in the article that should have been signs of what we were getting...

1) He wasn't all about football, he was doing the town - enjoying celebrity too much

2) He was basically given the job before throwing one ball

3) Calling plays in the mirror???? WTF? I'm not sure why anyone would do that and why it's impressive for any reason.

If you watched enough WVU games you would realize that they had a ton of trouble on the offensive line. They had to rotate players at RT for much of the season and the rest of the line was nothing special. So its tough to judge one player versus the other when you aren't factoring in supporting casts. I am not suggesting that Cuse had a great offensive line, but at the very least they had Justin Pugh who was the 19th pick in the draft.

This is from a recap of a game against Maryland (who was terrible last year- and is always terrible):

Bad: Offensive line
    Not a step forward because they took too many steps backward. Geno Smith was sacked twice and hit many, many other times and the longest run was eight yards early in the fourth quarter. WVU had been averaging 7.4 yards per carry, which was No. 2 nationally. The 25 yards on 25 carries was the lowest rushing total in 16 years.

WVU had 68 snaps Saturday and 12 went for a loss or gained no yards including six runs. That kills WVUs schedule.

This was a factor in the game, too, and Dana knew it. WVUs average third down was with 9.4 yards to go, which means first and second downs generally stunk. WVU had been running effectively on all three downs and converting most of its third downs, but not against Maryland. Only once did WVU need fewer than four yards to convert a third down and only once did WVU run on third down and that was the 15th and final third down of the day, a seven-yard gain by Andrew Buie on third-and-6 that, I can only assume, must have caught Maryland off guard.

I wonder if changes are coming now. WVU looked all right when Jenkins was out and Spain was inside at guard with Nick Kindler at left tackle and Bill Bedenbaugh has been consistently supportive of Kindler.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2012/...vu-v-maryland/

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry, but after all these years, I've yet to see sanchez look anyone in the eye, and he doesn't demand anything. He asks politely while looking at his shoes. He did used to get fired up. Remember him head butting players as they came out of the huddle? They coached that fire out of him, but still he was never a leader. Eugene gets criticized for this attitude, which I think we need. It doesn't mean anything if he can't play, but I'm saying I don't think his attitude is a bad thing.
    I agree with you. I am tired of Sanchez and his sulking ways. He fails true leadership qualities in my opinion. I liked when I read that GENO called aPLAYERS ONLY meeting the night before rookie camp opened. I am sure that some will be running now to find a positive article about Sanchez etc. I get a laugh out of guys who waffle all the time. When Sanchez wa splaying bad last year they were in the forefront that he must go. Now they defend him in their own ways. Sorry but I think he has to earn the job and keep on earning it or be traded or cut.

I'll say one thing, though: Listening to what Rex says about anything with Offense isn't always wise. Remember how he raved about The Terminated? Or how he was just like "WHOA!" with Sporano? Just something to think about.