Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno impresses with smarts and accuracy today, Rex impressed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Geno impresses with smarts and accuracy today, Rex impressed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather have Garrard start this year while we develop Geno and build an offense around the QB position itself. Unless guys like Rogers, Hill, Kerley, Pantele, Winters, etc. suddenly turn it on right away, I don't really see the point in throwing the rookie to the wolves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'd rather have Garrard start this year while we develop Geno and build an offense around the QB position itself. Unless guys like Rogers, Hill, Kerley, Pantele, Winters, etc. suddenly turn it on right away, I don't really see the point in throwing the rookie to the wolves.
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex impressed? I remember the Terminator--just saw him on a replay of Hard Knocks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ESPNNewYork: Coughlin impressed by Nassib at Giants camp http://t.co/GXvPZUtG9f

“I just got goose bumps,” Pugh said. “Because I said once I got drafted that whoever ends up with Ryan is going to be very, very lucky. And it just so happened that we ended up with him. He’s a great quarterback.”

Apparently, their new coach agrees. After the first of two Saturday practices, coach Tom Coughlin addressed reporters and was asked which of the rookies was starting to impress him.

“I think one of the things that continues to grow on you,” Coughlin said, “is the way the quarterback has responded to a new system and first time ever and showing some ability to lead in the huddle. And the huddle pays attention to him, and the offensive line seems to have responded pretty well to him, and he’s throwing the ball on occasion well.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares about Ryan Nasslicker?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why cant people see this...

The same folks clamouring from him to start day one will be the same ones booing him and insulting him saying "he was given all of the tools to win, he just isnt any good" when it takes satistically at least three years in the NFL to develop into a quality NFL QB......

The recent exceptions notwithstanding, it takes time to master the pro NFL game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless Geno has abominable preseason, he'll be the day one starter. If it's not him, Garrard will get the nod until Geno takes over at some point during the season. Mark Sanchez will never take a meaningful snap for the Jets again. Take t to the bank.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    No better development than actually playing. If Tannehill can start right away so can Geno.
    I don't know about this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the article so that you don't have to visit that awful ESPN.com site. At least until Dick stops dropping little uncalled-for turds into his writing like "the much-maligned quarterback".

He's "maligned" because of talentless writers who need to invent a story. Being "maligned" for reasons of pure fantasy does not make it justifiable to label him that as an objective fact.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Geno Smith's best moment on the second day of rookie minicamp occurred on a running play. Yes, really.

When he got to the line of scrimmage, the much-maligned quarterback noticed that an outside linebacker was lined up in the wrong place, leaving an open edge. He audibled at the line of scrimmage, changing it from a strong-side run to the open weak side.

And here's the interesting part: He still hadn't been taught that particular audible.

"We didn't have a check play in, but he checked it anyway," Rex Ryan said after Saturday's practice. "Obviously, he's got some awareness. That was impressive."

Overall, it was a good day for Smith, who completed seven of eight passes in team drills and 11 of 12 in 7-on-7 drills. There were some glitches in the team portion -- a sack and three false-start penalties -- but that sort of thing is expected in a rookie camp.

Smith was satisfied with his day, but he abstained from grading his performance. On Friday, he gave himself an overly-harsh 'F'.

"I'll leave the grading to the coaches," he said. "I think today was another good day. I got better again today. That's something I'll try to do daily, trying to improve even if it's the smallest amount. I think I did that today."

Many of Smith's completions came on screen passes. At West Virginia, he threw a lot of screens, so there probably was a comfort level. He threw most of his passes to tight ends and backs, showing excellent velocity and decent ball placement. There weren't many chances for him to show his touch and timing.

So, if you're scoring at home, Smith went 13-for-18 in his first two days, committing no turnovers. That's a pretty good start, but it'll get tougher when the veterans join the fray. Not only will the competition be better, but he'll be exposed to defensive looks he's never seen before. In rookie camp, everything is vanilla. For a quarterback, the expectations are modest -- communicate the play in the huddle, get everyone lined up and use a proper cadence.

"Overall, as an offense, we had some good moments and we had some not-so-good moments," Smith said. "It's still a work in progress."

PRACTICE NOTES: First-round DT Sheldon Richardson continued to impress. He moved exceptionally well for a 298-pound man, displaying a quick first step. It'll be interesting to see how he's used, because he looks like a classic 3-technique tackle in a 4-3. ... Seventh-round FB Tommy Bohanon enjoyed another good day catching the ball out of the backfield. That skill will be useful in Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast system. ... TE Mike Shanahan, an undrafted free agent from Pitt, outjumped S Brendan Melanophy (tryout from Fordham) on an intermediate route. Shanahan bounced back after a shaky first day. ... WR Zach Rogers, an undrafted free agent from Tennessee, continued to make plays in the slot. ... Free-agent CB Mike Edwards (Hawaii) dropped a would-be interception. ... In a QB drill, Smith had two bad overthrows on deep sideline routes. Mornhinweg told Smith, "Let's talk" -- and they huddled for a few moments. ... Owner Woody Johnson attended practice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ESPNNewYork: Coughlin impressed by Nassib at Giants camp http://t.co/GXvPZUtG9f

“I just got goose bumps,” Pugh said. “Because I said once I got drafted that whoever ends up with Ryan is going to be very, very lucky. And it just so happened that we ended up with him. He’s a great quarterback.”

Apparently, their new coach agrees. After the first of two Saturday practices, coach Tom Coughlin addressed reporters and was asked which of the rookies was starting to impress him.

“I think one of the things that continues to grow on you,” Coughlin said, “is the way the quarterback has responded to a new system and first time ever and showing some ability to lead in the huddle. And the huddle pays attention to him, and the offensive line seems to have responded pretty well to him, and he’s throwing the ball on occasion well.”
    The Giants choice to draft Nassib was really confusing. I don't know where he fits in their QB fiasco. Pugh endorses Nassib, how will Eli respond? Ryan Nassib, through no fault of his own, gets thrown into the cauldron of the Giants quarterback competition.

Where are these stories?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Marty will make the same mistake with Smith that Schottenheimer and Rex made with Sanchez, which was to bring him along too quickly. Sanchez may have benefitted greatly from carrying a clipboard for a year or two. Marty won't mess this kid up by playing him before he's ready or before the team is ready to support him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I don't think Marty will make the same mistake with Smith that Schottenheimer and Rex made with Sanchez, which was to bring him along too quickly. Sanchez may have benefitted greatly from carrying a clipboard for a year or two. Marty won't mess this kid up by playing him before he's ready or before the team is ready to support him.
    Marty isn't making the call though, and based on the last two years, I don't think he or any other OC in the NFL for that matter, would want Sanchez as their QB over a promising rookie. You can put it in the books that Geno was drafted to be the starter on day 1, not to hold a clipboard, especially for a stiff like Sanchez. I feel quite confident that Geno will have no problem taking the starting role from someone who was literally the worst QB in the NFL over the last two years.

Experience is the best teacher, not holding a clipboard, in my opinion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Learning by doing is the best way, bring him along gradually and if he's up to it open the playbook up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard will start in 2013 and, not only do an effective job of not pissing away game after game after game with interceptions and buttfumbles but also groom and mentor Smith to be the Jets franchise QB in 2014 and, hopefully, long after

This will all be an easy decision and orderly transition after June 1 when T6 follows Tbow out the door of the Florham Park facility

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    nothing better than playing and I do not consider it throwing him to the wolves...we have a nice veteran o line...good backs and a top notch defense...q's don't have to really sit anymore....bottom line is the best man will get the job....I feel a lot better about our QB situation now than I did last year at this time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard was actually going to be the starter before he got hurt...tannyhill came in and played well and he was not even supposed to be the starter....not sure why people thinks gino has to sit....if he wins the job then that's a darn good thing. Garrard or sanchez could also win it....I just want to see competent QB play.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Garrard was actually going to be the starter before he got hurt...tannyhill came in and played well and he was not even supposed to be the starter....not sure why people thinks gino has to sit....if he wins the job then that's a darn good thing. Garrard or sanchez could also win it....I just want to see competent QB play.
    Him winning the job isn't the problem. The problem is that we may very well be sending him out like a chocolate lamb to the slaughter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kid has that IT factor....smarts and common sense.....for a rookie to do this says a lot....it's little things like this that shows you he will be a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Here is the article so that you don't have to visit that awful ESPN.com site. At least until Dick stops dropping little uncalled-for turds into his writing like "the much-maligned quarterback".

He's "maligned" because of talentless writers who need to invent a story. Being "maligned" for reasons of pure fantasy does not make it justifiable to label him that as an objective fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's too boring....hence no story....I have a feeling they will get tired of Gino because e is just being focused and focusing on football...he also said he could care less what these sources say about him. As time goes by the edia will have less and less fodder....there is no longer a story.....look at the jets right now....its just about football.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The Giants choice to draft Nassib was really confusing. I don't know where he fits in their QB fiasco. Pugh endorses Nassib, how will Eli respond? Ryan Nassib, through no fault of his own, gets thrown into the cauldron of the Giants quarterback competition.

Where are these stories?