Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Throwing/Interview Video

Jets Insider VIP
    I like the way this kid handles himself around the media. He does not rattle nor does he portray anything he is not. He just wants to talk football in a respectful way and DIRECTS the interviewers back to the topic of football. They will soon tire of busting his chops. If this kid comes through like many think he can, we are going to be a very fortunate team drafting him in rd 2. At the moment ( and its early) he looks like the steal of the draft!

Back to football. You guys notice his quick feet in setting up? His high release point? The ball coming out in a tight spiral? I am not a scount but I do like to see those things in a QB so young and new in our system. I read where he called a PLAYERS ONLY MEETING the night before the first practice session. Why? He wanted to try to limit mistakes! That is a classy guy WITH experience! William Campbell, OG, is his roomie. He was raving about GENO's study habits and how they practiced for long hours after the practice session concluded. Campbell is also opening some eyes at OG!

What we might have here is a natural born leader with lots of QB talent plus experience. Too early for Canton but it sure feels nice at this point! GO JETS! Soon the vets will come in and try to confuse the kid and we will see how he responds. If he can paly tough against our defense, the NFL will be easy for him!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 05-12-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's halt on the 'steal of the draft' talk, lol. Let's keep in mind that this is just Rookie Mini-camp. I'm also feeling good about GS3 (it's happening, just go with it), but let's curb our enthusiasm for a bit.

All League
    He DOES throw a good looking ball. And GS3... I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    He DOES throw a good looking ball. And GS3... I like it.
    Credit to NY's Stepchild for that gem.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Geno Smith III, eh? Or, in Military speak, Smith Geno III.

You know what this means, right?
    IDK. I know GSIII would look a lot cooler than G.Smith on the back of the jersey.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I like the way this kid handles himself around the media. He does not rattle nor does he portray anything he is not. He just wants to talk football in a respectful way and DIRECTS the interviewers back to the topic of football. They will soon tire of busting his chops. If this kid comes through like many think he can, we are going to be a very fortunate team drafting him in rd 2. At the moment ( and its early) he looks like the steal of the draft!

Back to football. You guys notice his quick feet in setting up? His high release point? The ball coming out in a tight spiral? I am not a scount but I do like to see those things in a QB so young and new in our system. I read where he called a PLAYERS ONLY MEETING the night before the first practice session. Why? He wanted to try to limit mistakes! That is a classy guy WITH experience! William Campbell, OG, is his roomie. He was raving about GENO's study habits and how they practiced for long hours after the practice session concluded. Campbell is also opening some eyes at OG!

What we might have here is a natural born leader with lots of QB talent plus experience. Too early for Canton but it sure feels nice at this point! GO JETS! Soon the vets will come in and try to confuse the kid and we will see how he responds. If he can paly tough against our defense, the NFL will be easy for him!
    I read that he attended that meeting but someone else called for it. I didn't see any mention of who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    It's awful. I was fuming while watching that video that it took 2:45 for them to ask anything football related.

Some woman who sounded like Kim "I know nothing about sports" Jones asked him like three separate versions of the same question about anonymous sources, trying to rub it in or get some type of response or who knows what.

Honestly if you know nothing about the NFL, the Jets, or football, and you only knew there was a group entity called the "New York Jets", it would be very difficult from the NY media coverage to figure out exactly their profession. The media coverage doesn't reflect that of a football team; there's almost never anything written about strategy, coaching, specific skillsets, etc. It's always gossip, rumors, "how did that feel", pure unadulterated oxen crap.
    Unfortunately, the jets wouldn't get these questions of they weren't a team of clowns. I mean c'mon, this team had mark Sanchez and tim Tebow on the same squad at the same position!

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    The kid has an aura about him. I like what I see and think we struck gold !!

Also, I'm glad to here him use ask and not the ebonic ax..

Mines

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    IDK. I know GSIII would look a lot cooler than G.Smith on the back of the jersey.
    No, I mean the initials. Think about it.

All Pro
    Geno comes across great in that vid. Smart, well-spoken, handles all the baited questions very well.

The reporters generally came across as bottom-feeding jerks. And Cimini, lurking in the background looking totally disinterested, comes across as the king of the jerks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    It was Kim Jones and shes absolutely awful. How she got a job with NFL network after working for the yankees on YES I have no idea.

At least Geno handles it well so far obviously this isnt much compared to what he possibly will face, but he seems to handle himself well.
    I thought he handled it very well. I don't think I could be as restrained as he is with all that negativity being thrown at him.

Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Unfortunately, the jets wouldn't get these questions of they weren't a team of clowns. I mean c'mon, this team had mark Sanchez and tim Tebow on the same squad at the same position!
    And now they don't. Your point?

Every team has multiple players that play quarterback. We're just a Ringling type of league I guess.

If you're a Jets fan and you buy into the "circus" stuff the lazy media feeds you, the clown is none other than you.

The proper global acronymical-numerical designation is initials-jersey number.

Geno is GS7. Chris Paul is CP3. Thierry Henry is TH14. etc.

It pleases the ephemeral American mind when they rhyme so CP3 and RG3, of two different nomenclatures, can co-exist.

Meh, I'm ok with going the RG3 route with Geno's nickname. Of course, we could still look at all sorts of other possibilities.

Mean Gene, Mighty Morphgene Power Ranger, King Gene, and my personal favorite: Clyde.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Something I saw on TGG, but if Hayden Smith stays on the roster, it would be 'G. Smith'.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    And now they don't. Your point?

Every team has multiple players that play quarterback. We're just a Ringling type of league I guess.

If you're a Jets fan and you buy into the "circus" stuff the lazy media feeds you, the clown is none other than you.
    Have to love the logic.

Did the Jets bring Tebow in? Yes. Did they, as an org. do anything clownish though? What did they do, other than bring in someone to help a position that they obviously needed help at. And once it was apparent that he would add nothing they sat the guy down.

But the press decided this was clownish. Love the logic used to come to this conclusion. Even if they brought him in to sell tickets, so what.

Not only is it the lazy media, it's the lazy fanbase that knows Kim, Cimini, Manish etc are lazy and suck but buys into every POS they publish.

Something I saw on TGG, but if Hayden Smith stays on the roster, it would be 'G. Smith'.
    Although I know he wont due to RGIII already having it, i wish he would put Smith III on the back.

For some reason it grinds my gears when a player has a letter in front of their last name.

I don't think there's a requirement to have a first initial on your jersey in those situations. I don't recall Eric/Hayden Smith having them last year though I may be wrong. I tried my best not to watch Eric Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    Although I know he wont due to RGIII already having it, i wish he would put Smith III on the back.

For some reason it grinds my gears when a player has a letter in front of their last name.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I say we force Hayden to legally change his last name so that Geno can just be 'Smith'.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    I don't think there's a requirement to have a first initial on your jersey in those situations. I don't recall Eric/Hayden Smith having them last year though I may be wrong. I tried my best not to watch Eric Smith.
    Or Brad Smith when he was here either..