Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Cimini: Day 2: Three things we learned

  1. #1

    Cimini: Day 2: Three things we learned

    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from the second day of rookie minicamp (the final day open to the media):

    1. The daily Geno: QB Geno Smith declined to grade his Day 2 performance, but I'll give him a 'D' -- as in, decisive. Unlike Friday, when he double-clutched a couple of times and appeared tentative with his reads, the former West Virginia star demonstrated better command of his plays. That's what you want to see from a rookie -- daily improvement. Many of his completions Saturday came on screen passes, so there really wasn't much need for him to stand in the pocket and read the defense. Nevertheless, it was a positive step. It'll be interesting to see how he responds in OTA practices, when the veterans are in town and Rex Ryan dials up his exotic blitzes.

    2. Big men on the move: One of the offseason goals was to increase the athleticism at guard. Ryan believes they accomplished that by drafting Brian Winters (third round) and Will Campbell (sixth). New coordinator Marty Mornhinweg likes to use perimeter runs, and it helps to have guards that can pull and block in space. In Saturday's positional drills, the offensive linemen focused on pulling. Ryan liked what he saw, especially from Campbell, a former college defensive lineman with intriguing athletic ability. He also wears No. 65, Brandon Moore's old number. Said Ryan: "Hopefully, he can have half the success Brandon Moore had at that position."

    3. Land of opportunity: It has been hard in recent years for undrafted free agents to make the opening-day roster. In fact, only one rookie did it last year -- DT Damon Harrison. That should change this year. The Jets, under new management, are a team in transition, stressing competition at every position. Ryan agreed with the premise that more UDFAs could stick than in past years. It's early, but here are some contenders: LB Troy Davis (Central Florida), C Dalton Freeman (Clemson), S Rontez Miles (California, Pa.) and WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee).

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ngs-we-learned

    Why reportedly Cooper was a strong consideration at 9, if there, and not Warmack...

  2. #2
    Troy Davis, OLB, UCF

    03/29/2013
    - 2013 Central Florida Pro Day: A total of 26 NFL teams sent representatives to Central Florida's pro day on March 20, which was also attended by Detroit Lions senior personnel executive James Harris. A total of 15 Central Florida players worked out. Tony Davis, DE/LB (6-1 3/4, 251 pounds) - Davis, who is working with former NFL player Blaise Winter to improve his pass-rushing skills, post a time of 4.65 seconds in the 40-yard dash and went 4.14 in the short shuttle. He also had 24 reps at the standard 225 pounds in the bench press to cap off a very good all-around workout. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

    The Georgia native stepped onto the field as a true freshman for UCF and played in 10 games in 2009. He earned his first three career starts as a sophomore defensive end and finished the season with 5.5 sacks.Davis continued his emergence as a pass rusher in 2011, starting all 12 games at defensive end and finishing with 8.5 tackles for loss, a team-high 5.0 sacks and a pair of passes broken up. He topped that as a senior, racking up 11.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks while earning first-team All-C-USA honors.
    He has been working on refining his pass-rushing skills with former NFL player Blaise Winter.

    Davis first caught the attention of NFL teams with his pass-rushing skills, and then again with his 4.65-second 40-yard dash at UCF's pro day. He enjoyed a very strong all-around workout, but the question is whether he's a hybrid without a true position at 251 pounds.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...724/troy-davis

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,751
    Hopefully we strike some gold with an UDFA this year. We are due.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hopefully we strike some gold with an UDFA this year. We are due.
    Mauga
    Bellore
    Cumberland
    Harrison
    Fletcher

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mauga
    Bellore
    Cumberland
    Harrison
    Fletcher
    I think DDNY meant impact player. Other than Cumberland, don't think any of those guys fit the description.....nice players, but definitely JAG's at best.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mauga
    Bellore
    Cumberland
    Harrison
    Fletcher
    All of those guys are solid low ceiling types. I like the high ceiling small school guys like Davis, and Miles. I'm hoping Hayden Smith is the one previous FA we get lucky with.

  7. #7
    I still think Spadola has a better chance than Rogers, but it isn't far fetched to think that both could make the 53 man roster, especially if they intend to carry 6 WR's.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300

    List of Current Jets WideOuts

    The potential Starters:
    Santonio Holmes ****
    Stephen Hill ****
    Jeremy Kerley ****

    The candidates for backup spots:
    Clyde Gates **
    Jordan White ***

    The Challengers:
    Royce Pollard *
    Titus Ryan
    Vidal Hazelton
    Joseph Collins
    Antavious Wilson
    Zach Rogers
    Emmanuel Arceneaux
    Thomas Mayo
    K.J. Stroud
    Ryan Spadola



    * Front runners as of now.
    Players supposedly Cut
    Older Players
    Drafted by the Jets
    Last edited by Tinstar; 05-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The potential Starters:
    Santonio Holmes ****
    Stephen Hill ****
    Jeremy Kerley ****

    The candidates for backup spots:
    Clyde Gates **
    Jordan White ***

    The Challengers:
    Royce Pollard *
    Titus Ryan
    Vidal Hazelton
    Joseph Collins
    Antavious Wilson
    Zach Rogers
    Emmanuel Arceneaux
    Thomas Mayo
    K.J. Stroud
    Ryan Spadola



    * Front runners as of now.
    Pollard was cut today.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Pollard was cut today.
    That's too bad. I think that kid has talent. Was he injured ?

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The potential Starters:
    Santonio Holmes ****
    Stephen Hill ****
    Jeremy Kerley ****

    The candidates for backup spots:
    Clyde Gates **
    Jordan White ***

    The Challengers:
    Royce Pollard *
    Titus Ryan
    Vidal Hazelton
    Joseph Collins
    Antavious Wilson
    Zach Rogers
    Emmanuel Arceneaux
    Thomas Mayo
    K.J. Stroud
    Ryan Spadola



    * Front runners as of now.
    We just cut Pollard.

    Rogers is the biggest front-runner IMO.

    Good route runner, great hands, sneaky speed, and can make a major contribution on special teams.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    I am in no way surprised at the UDFA who may make the roster.



    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from the second day of rookie minicamp (the final day open to the media):

    1. The daily Geno: QB Geno Smith declined to grade his Day 2 performance, but I'll give him a 'D' -- as in, decisive. Unlike Friday, when he double-clutched a couple of times and appeared tentative with his reads, the former West Virginia star demonstrated better command of his plays. That's what you want to see from a rookie -- daily improvement. Many of his completions Saturday came on screen passes, so there really wasn't much need for him to stand in the pocket and read the defense. Nevertheless, it was a positive step. It'll be interesting to see how he responds in OTA practices, when the veterans are in town and Rex Ryan dials up his exotic blitzes.

    2. Big men on the move: One of the offseason goals was to increase the athleticism at guard. Ryan believes they accomplished that by drafting Brian Winters (third round) and Will Campbell (sixth). New coordinator Marty Mornhinweg likes to use perimeter runs, and it helps to have guards that can pull and block in space. In Saturday's positional drills, the offensive linemen focused on pulling. Ryan liked what he saw, especially from Campbell, a former college defensive lineman with intriguing athletic ability. He also wears No. 65, Brandon Moore's old number. Said Ryan: "Hopefully, he can have half the success Brandon Moore had at that position."

    3. Land of opportunity: It has been hard in recent years for undrafted free agents to make the opening-day roster. In fact, only one rookie did it last year -- DT Damon Harrison. That should change this year. The Jets, under new management, are a team in transition, stressing competition at every position. Ryan agreed with the premise that more UDFAs could stick than in past years. It's early, but here are some contenders: LB Troy Davis (Central Florida), C Dalton Freeman (Clemson), S Rontez Miles (California, Pa.) and WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee).

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ngs-we-learned

    Why reportedly Cooper was a strong consideration at 9, if there, and not Warmack...

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The potential Starters:
    Santonio Holmes ****
    Stephen Hill ****
    Jeremy Kerley ****

    The candidates for backup spots:
    Clyde Gates **
    Jordan White ***

    The Challengers:
    Royce Pollard *
    Titus Ryan
    Vidal Hazelton
    Joseph Collins
    Antavious Wilson
    Zach Rogers
    Emmanuel Arceneaux
    Thomas Mayo
    K.J. Stroud
    Ryan Spadola



    * Front runners as of now.
    Arceneaux & Mayo have been cut. watch out for Stroud. The guy can play!

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    zach rogers out of tennessee



    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mauga
    Bellore
    Cumberland
    Harrison
    Fletcher

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    I have never seen spadola play...as a Gator I have seen a ton of Zach Rogers at UT and he was very effective but overshadowed by the other 2 wide receivers...spadola must have some skills if he might beat out rogers....but as you stated, perhaps they both make the roster.


    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I still think Spadola has a better chance than Rogers, but it isn't far fetched to think that both could make the 53 man roster, especially if they intend to carry 6 WR's.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    That's too bad. I think that kid has talent. Was he injured ?
    Dunno. Never heard anything about it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hopefully we strike some gold with an UDFA this year. We are due.
    what's the last UDFA that we actually hit on? devito? moore was really the only one that stuck with the team. come to think of it, it's about time we strike some gold with some late round picks for a change too. what's the last late rounder that we actually kept on the team?

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    rogers runs a 4.4 not sure how that's sneaky speed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We just cut Pollard.

    Rogers is the biggest front-runner IMO.

    Good route runner, great hands, sneaky speed, and can make a major contribution on special teams.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I think DDNY meant impact player. Other than Cumberland, don't think any of those guys fit the description.....nice players, but definitely JAG's at best.
    I actually think Damon Harrison has potential to develop into something more. Really flashed at times last year.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    there are so many questions in regards to who may stick etc...I love this...so much competition with no clear cut favorites...curious to see who will surprise us.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us