Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #firecimini

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Costello and Orr put Cimini and Mehta to shame.

As to what some of you are saying, I don't doubt that part of it has to do with the editorial staff, but a lot of it has to do with the writer as well. To think otherwise means that any old chimp with a degree in writing/journalism can be plugged in at any time. We all know that's not the case.

Really not sure what knowing the historical part of the team has to do with anything. When Mehta first showed up on the scene writing quality stuff, he didn't know jack about the Jets. Same for Costello. The only time Cimini seems to lean on his "knowledge" of the team's past is so he can utilize it in another snarky comment or to make a strawman argument about some decision the team should or should not make.

If you like that sort of "reporting", bully for you. Personally, I like to read stuff that is as unbiased as possible. Currently, that is Orr and Costello. Cannizzaro was pretty good as well, but he only writes about the Jets intermittently now, focusing more on golf if I'm not mistaken.
    J-dub

The writer/reporter has to bring his experience,contacts,tenacity,grasp of law and a host of other things to the table..Those are important skills that not anyone can master,but the organisation he represents will play a big part in how they report on a story.Believe me it is not at all unusual for a reporter to come back with a perfectly good 'good news' story only to be told by the news editor that it's not 'controversial' enough or that we're not interested because it's just 'puff'.In fact it's just as likely that the first thing that gets said in any news meeting is 'who will be pi$$ed off about this,we need people angry'....good news does not sell newspapers or TV advertising in the vast majority of newsrooms....sadly

The best example is where you mention how Mehta was doing 'quality stuff' at first but remember he wasn't at the tabloid NYDN at the time(Cimini was)....Mehta goes to the Daily News where the editorial direction is much more aggressive while Cimini goes to ESPN and now MM is the guy everyone is onto and Cimini is producing more mainstream stuff.

Also there's an important distinction to make between correspondents and reporters.Reporters are supposed to just report the facts:Who,why,what,where and when.

Correspondents are there to provide analysis.In this day and age of PR and media management you have to have people well enough connected and clued-up on their subject to go beyond the message an organisation wants to get out and to analyse what it actually means for you and me the ordinary punter.The Pete Kendall situation is a good example of how this works in reality.

The guy may be a tosser but trust me in the NY media market that will not be unusual.

Having said all that he's a doofus if he thought he was texting when he was actually tweeting.
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 05-14-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Totally hear what you're saying here, Red and I don't disagree. And you're right, the extreme shift we saw in Mehta bares that out. However, there are exceptions to be seen. One that jumps to mind is Hubbuch vs Costello for the NY Post. Hubbuch is consistently snarky and demeaning while Costello tends to be more evenhanded. Another is Leberfeld, who despite his press conference performances as of late, has taken a step back from the SOJ cliff that he's stood on for so long.

Regardless of the details, I can't stand either. I stopped reading the NYDN a long time ago, same for ESPN. It's the best way to voice my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Cimini and Mehta are awful journalists. Cimini tries to spin everything into a "same old Jets" routine and Mehta is trying to stir the pot and turn the players against each other in order to get a headline for his editors.

The other beat writers aren't nearly as bad as these two idiots. (EDIT: I take that back. Dan Leberfeld too.)
    Leberfield is not a journalist or a "beat" reporter. He's a child in a man's body with a hobby of writing negative articles about the Jets. They are published in Jets Confidential, a rag that no one reads any more and no one has read since Al Gore invented the internet. He is the least credible of any of them.

Totally hear what you're saying here, Red and I don't disagree. And you're right, the extreme shift we saw in Mehta bares that out. However, there are exceptions to be seen. One that jumps to mind is Hubbuch vs Costello for the NY Post. Hubbuch is consistently snarky and demeaning while Costello tends to be more evenhanded. Another is Leberfeld, who despite his press conference performances as of late, has taken a step back from the SOJ cliff that he's stood on for so long.

Regardless of the details, I can't stand either. I stopped reading the NYDN a long time ago, same for ESPN. It's the best way to voice my opinion.
    Don't know of Costello that well so I'll pay more attention to him and like you I think Leberfeld is ok.He seems like a genuine fan of the team(probably why he's been on a cliff-edge for years)

You are spot on with your last comment

All Pro
    Leberfeld stepped completely off the cliff with his whiny rant about Brooks Bollinger. Sorry folks, but you don't come back from a piece like that.

Ever.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Wasn't Cimini accused of posting under a fake twitter account a few mos ago to discredit Jane?

Holy insecurity!!!

BTW: As one who has worked with Jane (she wrote for JI a few years ago before she got the ESPN NY gig) and knows her personally she's nothing but hard working, thorough, a fine person and an excellent writer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Leberfeld stepped completely off the cliff with his whiny rant about Brooks Bollinger. Sorry folks, but you don't come back from a piece like that.

Ever.
    Lol, that was classic stuff. Only thing that could have been better was if it was written here on JI.

Dcat, I still read JC. It has pretty good insights and the Whispers section is good as well. As for Leberfeld, he has tempered his opinions the past couple of years and is not at all reticent to take fellow members of the Jets beat to task, Mehta and Cimini included. Not saying you should like him for it, just pointing out what you may not know since you no longer get JC.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Is there anything on JC that isn't on this board weeks earlier? I doubt it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Has anyone from this board ever gotten into it with Laveranues Coles in the locker room? Leberfeld's always gonna have that on you.

Unless of course you're ready to up your game.

Lol, that was classic stuff. Only thing that could have been better was if it was written here on JI.

Dcat, I still read JC. It has pretty good insights and the Whispers section is good as well. As for Leberfeld, he has tempered his opinions the past couple of years and is not at all reticent to take fellow members of the Jets beat to task, Mehta and Cimini included. Not saying you should like him for it, just pointing out what you may not know since you no longer get JC.
    thnks. I did not know that. Leberfeld pissed me off so much thru the years that I gave up on JC.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Has anyone from this board ever gotten into it with Laveranues Coles in the locker room? Leberfeld's always gonna have that on you.

Unless of course you're ready to up your game.
    The best is when one of Coles' posse contacted me to get the phone number of one of our girls next door. I contacted her and asked if it was OK and she said no thanks. She has a boyfriend.

He was a bit chilly to JI after that.

It was quite clearly a message he intended to send to one person via DM, that he accidentally tweeted out to everyone (hence him deleting it almost right away)...

He screwed up, and might deserve a slap on the wrist for it, but it's an honest mistake.....nothing he deserves to get canned over.

Now his actual "journalism"?.....that's a different matter.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    It was quite clearly a message he intended to send to one person via DM, that he accidentally tweeted out to everyone (hence him deleting it almost right away)...

He screwed up, and might deserve a slap on the wrist for it, but it's an honest mistake.....nothing he deserves to get canned over.

Now his actual "journalism"?.....that's a different matter.
    I agree, he shouldn't get fired. It does though seem like he's very insecure as this isn't the first allegation/incident he's had with colleagues.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, he shouldn't get fired. It does though seem like he's very insecure as this isn't the first allegation/incident he's had with colleagues.
    He must be suspended or something because he hasnt sent a tweet or published a story since this all went down.

All League
    Leberfeld is funny with how outraged he gets at bottom of the roster churn.

"They didn't give Chauncey Washington a proper chance. I will spend the next 3 years complaining about his release."

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He must be suspended or something because he hasnt sent a tweet or published a story since this all went down.
    Considering he humiliated Jane McManus, his ESPN co-worker, he should be suspended. Hostile workplace environment for women = ESPN.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually Sean, sometimes there is, albeit not a whole lot. JI is far and away my first, best choice when it comes to anything Jets-related, but occasionally I will read a few things in JC that are eye-opening firsts for me. That's in the print version. I don't visit other Jets-related sites outside of JI.

He hasn't been on twitter since the incident and he hasn't written an article on the front office reshuffeling yet. Wonder if he has been suspended or something.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    He hasn't been on twitter since the incident and he hasn't written an article on the front office reshuffeling yet. Wonder if he has been suspended or something.
    Certainly looks that way.

Wasn't Cimini accused of posting under a fake twitter account a few mos ago to discredit Jane?

Holy insecurity!!!

BTW: As one who has worked with Jane (she wrote for JI a few years ago before she got the ESPN NY gig) and knows her personally she's nothing but hard working, thorough, a fine person and an excellent writer.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh....php?t=251206/
    Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 05-15-2013 at 04:11 PM.