Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-watching Jets HK on NFLN, Rex deserves better from the fan base...

Re-watching Jets HK on NFLN, Rex deserves better from the fan base...

The segment where the Jets play Carolina in 2nd pre-season game, 3rd stringers are in, and they are getting raked. The game is close, and Rex is going nuts, the play on the field is abysmal, and he is cursing up a storm, and orders the 2nd team back on the field.

A pre-season game, and the man hates to lose.

Sure, the argument could be made, it's a pre-season game, he needs to evaluate the young players, but to me, it's the passion and emotion he brings to the game, and his fire as a competitor.

The Hofstra practice, the cheeseburger segment, a "circus" HC allows that to happen without repercussion, if Rex is the clown the media and some of the fan base says he is, then we don't see Rex rip the team for it. He called them out big time, calling them all jackasses, that whole segment was done from the heart, not with the mindset that the HK cameras were all around, that was a great segment. That whole piece, "let's get a damn snack," a joke was made of it, it was funny to a degree, but go back and watch it, Rex is dead serious, and pissed.

Fast forward to his calculated criticism of Coples during this past weekend's rookie mini-camp, that's a maturing Rex, taking a page from Parcells, and learning to tweak the players on his team, and buying into the new "competition" mantra that the team is now trying to sell. No player is exempt from this new standard, and Rex calls out one of the up and coming defensive studs, maybe he's doing it on purpose, to not just send a message to the player, but also to the team. Maybe that isn't just the new Rex, maybe that is the real Rex that too many have started to give up on.

Sick and tired of the media dumping on Rex and the fan base, at least part of it, buying in and joining the fray.

He simply doesn't deserve it. 2 AFCCG's, it wasn't an aberration.

He has warts, all the young head coaches do, they all went through ups and downs during their first term as a HC, experience is what makes a HC successful, and sometimes, it's not always in that first term. The great HC's of today weren't very successful their first time on the job, why should Rex be held to a higher standard?

To me, the experiences of the last two years, the humility, the ups and downs, will only help Rex. I love his responses to the questions of his media generated and fan insinuated lame duck status, and maybe he does have pressure on him to deliver, so what, I still love his responses and how he is handling himself already. He's being himself, and he should do exactly that.

Sure he needs to deliver, I still feel he deserves a revamped roster, and a chance to work through the rebuild, and a new offensive coaching regime. Last year, Sparano an was abomination, he essentially was a puppet, with no real experience or enough savvy to run a modern day NFL offense, and he had Rex in his ear about controlling the clock and the ground and pound.

Rex' biggest knock to this point of his career, is his penchant to force the ground and pound and not rely a modern NFL offense to go along with his defense. I agree, this was the one flaw he NEEDED to fix, to become a complete coach, and now, by virtue of the team's performance, whether unlucky or not due to injuries, I think he realizes he needs to make this one change, to entrust NFL offensive coaches who know what they are doing, and aren't coaches who Rex can influence. Rex had the benefit of having offensive coaches that he was able to force his ground and pound on, Sparano, Cavanaugh, and to some extent Schotty, they deferred to Rex. That won't happen with Mornhinweg and Lee, it simply won't happen, and can't happen.

I think Schotty wanted to open up the offense, but he himself struggles to execute on game days, and becomes to predictable, as evidenced in St Louis, it will be interesting to see if he can ever emerge.

But back to Rex, I'm looking forward to seeing a more experienced Rex Ryan, an entrusted and competent NFL offensive coaching staff, leading and running a modern NFL system who are excellent QB coaches who have expanded and credited resumes in developing QB's, something this team has NOT had under Rex.

Rex deserves some criticism, but not a walk on the plank, let the man himself develop, allow him to learn from his mistakes, from dealing with the media, saying too much, or just being himself. He needs to adjust some, with the media, what he say's, but I love Rex because he's a sandlot NFL junkie, and he eats and breathes the game, he's far from fake, and players play their ass off for him.

The one true mark of a good head coach, how hard his teams play for them, can the head coach push the right buttons, push and reel back, will the players give their all, do they believe in Rex, and his program, by all accounts, whenever a player has had an opportunity to give their opinion on Rex, whether on the team currently, or ex-players, they all speak highly of Rex, and that's key.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.

All League
    I wish more people realized what a douche we have for a head coach

I agree, Rex is not perfect...but he is as passionate and as dedicated as any coach we have ever had. He may be full of ****, but it really seems like the guy believes that being a Jet is better then being just anyone anyone else...you have to love that.

As a Jet fan, my hope is that Idzik puts the structure in place to allow Rex to succeed and get an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    I wish more people realized what a douche we have for a head coach
    LOL, like I said...

Veteran
    Let's remember that Bill Belichick was basically considered a bit of a has-been can't-win-the-big-game buffoon until Brady came along. In a very different way so was 'crybaby' Dick Vermeil. Winning is the only sure way to get respect in the NFL and until some coaches do they just get shuffled into whatever narrative the press wants to play.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Give the guy just a middle of the road offense with a competent QB and I guarantee the majority of this fanbase wouldn't be screaming for us to get rid of him.

There wasn't a Jets fan out there that wasn't head over heels for Rex during his first two seasons with us.

Tannenbaum let the overall talent pool continually evaporate year after year. How great do fans expect Rex to look when his defense is on the field for 40 minutes every game because this dogsh*t offense is seemingly incapable of sustaining a scoring drive?

Hell, it's a miracle that we were 6-10 last year instead of 2-14. And the defense was the sole reason for that.

The offense was beyond laughable and our historically strong special teams unit fell off a f*cking cliff.

Rex isn't whats wrong with this team.

Mike Tannenbaum and Mark Sanchez were/are what is wrong.

We already eliminated one mook from the equation, now it's time to take out the other goof.

He absolutely deserves better. Guy can coach and inspire. Give him a decent offense and let him learn a little more about the art of coaching, he'd be a pretty darn good coach.

He'd be a folk hero in a town that adores its sports figures, like St. Louis. Problem is New York has an immediacy complex; no patience at all. Not to mention the media does its best to portray him as a fool, instead of ever highlighting any of his quality work coaching schemes.

This is the first time in his career he has a real offensive coordinator who will attack on offense and the first time in two years will we have a running game. Let's see what happens. He's a good Xs and Os coach. (But, I do wish he would shut up already. When he talks, he's a caricature of himself.)
    Last edited by escamoter2; 05-12-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    He has warts, all the young head coaches do, they all went through ups and downs during their first term as a HC, experience is what makes a HC successful, and sometimes, it's not always in that first term. The great HC's of today weren't very successful their first time on the job, why should Rex be held to a higher standard?

Last year, Sparano an was abomination, he essentially was a puppet, with no real experience or enough savvy to run a modern day NFL offense, and he had Rex in his ear about controlling the clock and the ground and pound.
    I am a part of the pro-Rex contingent, and agree with just about everything you said. I hope you're OK with me trimming your post down to the 2 points I wanted to comment on.

Regarding Sparano, as much as I like Rex, I think we have to lay that debacle at his feet. There are many people around here (OK, one main person) who blame Rex for the personnel blunders of the last 4 years - which I think is unfounded and ridiculous since that was Tannenbaum's job and not Rex's. However, in the absence of concrete evidence that Rex was forced by someone above him on the food chain to accept Sparano (which I don't believe we have), it is Rex's job to hire the assistant coaches. Sparano was not fit to be our offensive coordinator, and that mistake is on Rex. I do have higher hopes for MM, who has proven success in that role and a more effective offensive philosophy for today's NFL.

Regarding your other quoted point, I totally agree that we've seen enough positive things from Rex to warrant giving him a lengthier chance to work through his shortcomings as a head coach. There have been many cases, as you noted, of other head coaches failing in their first job, then thriving in their second. I wonder though, whether these coaches would have eventually succeeded in their first job had they been given more time -- or whether losing that first job and getting a second chance was a necessary part of their growth in becoming a good head coach. It's a question that probably doesn't have a concrete answer at this point, but I'm curious to hear what people think.

What I'm really hoping for though, is that Rex proves that patience with a first-time HC can pay off -- because it would be extremely disappointing to see us give up on him and then have to watch him thrive as a HC elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I agree, Rex is not perfect...but he is as passionate and as dedicated as any coach we have ever had. He may be full of ****, but it really seems like the guy believes that being a Jet is better then being just anyone anyone else...you have to love that.

As a Jet fan, my hope is that Idzik puts the structure in place to allow Rex to succeed and get an extension.

The last thing I can ever get behind is the beliefs of a guy who's "full of ****." Don't see how anyone can love that glaring contradiction.

Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 05-13-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Give the guy just a middle of the road offense with a competent QB and I guarantee the majority of this fanbase wouldn't be screaming for us to get rid of him.
    The majority of this fanbase isn't calling for his head.

A few here sure are. The head clown should eventually hijack this thread.

Never hear a majority of the fans in the stands calling for his head. Don't ever hear it actually.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-13-2013 at 01:04 AM.

All League
    Imagine if Rex had a QB

Rex isn't as bad a HC as the outside/public perceives him to be, but I'm not sure if he's ever going to be the HC we all want him to be either. I actually like the fact that he's coaching this year for his next contract. Lets see Rex now and how he responds with his back against the wall...he's never been in this position so far in this organization.

I'm not super keen on Rex, but I'd fight for the guy any day. He has a certain something about him that makes you want to go to battle with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Let's remember that Bill Belichick was basically considered a bit of a has-been can't-win-the-big-game buffoon until Brady came along. In a very different way so was 'crybaby' Dick Vermeil. Winning is the only sure way to get respect in the NFL and until some coaches do they just get shuffled into whatever narrative the press wants to play.
    Exactly. Tell me the records of the Jets and Patriots since 2009 if Rex Ryan had Brady at QB and Belichick had Sanchez.

Kurt Warner won Vermeil his only Super Bowl. He was also less than 2 minutes from winning one for Ken Whisenhunt. Brady's won 3 for Belichick.

Get Rex a QB so that he's not facing Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Rothlisberger, Brady in the playoffs with Mark Sanchez and he'd have a ring or two.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 05-13-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I was wondering when these threads would start to pop up. NFLN has been playing our HK for the past week and it was sure to stir up some sentimentality from the good old days.

Never seen someone get more mileage out of 4 playoffs wins in my life. Especially considering our piss poor performances (mainly HIS D) in those beloved AFCCG appearances. Combine that with the past two seasons of ineptitude.

Tanny cant get all the blame. Just look at all the leaders we had on the team hen compared to now. Rex played a role in purging the leadership from this team and that has completely bit him in the ass.

Then there is question of how exactly has Rex improved or grown as a HC since then. And for me that it the biggest one. Seems like most of you are resigned to the fact that he is just basically a glorified DC and that MM will run the offense. I think it is pathetic that after 4 years Rex still has a complete disassociation with the offense. Then we could get into his development of players. Seems to me like he is a great button pusher when he has guys that are great playing for him. And for all the credit he gets for being a defensive mastermind he still hasn't drawn up anything to get us a passrush in 4 years. The league caught up with those A gap blitzes a long time ago.

There's too many dumb fans out there that want to blame the HC for anything pertaining to the team. Bad publicity? Must be Rex's fault. The team has a terrible offense? Must be Rex's fault. A fan tripped over a f*cking banana peel? Must be Rex's fault.

What's even more foolish is those fans out there that actually BELIEVE a Rex Ryan prediction prior to the season. In 2011, is when the haters really started coming out, after Rex guaranteed a SB, and didn't deliver, the fans atarted tarring and feathering him.

When really all that is is DUMB fans who aren't smart enough to form their own opinions on matters. They instead look to the HC for the spoon fed propaganda and then swallow it whole.

I liken this to watching most progressive democrats today. They wait for what MSNBC says and then start believing that.

That is the complete ridiculousness behind Rex.

And I'll be the first to say, he brings it on himself. Rex never learned that you shouldn't talk to an idiot.

Rex is clearly the best and most accomplished HC that Woody has ever had the good fortune of hiring. He will become a much better HC through time. He probably already has, but most cannot see it because the talent on the team sucks.

Through time, this will change. Rex is now on the verge of his first major overhaul of a team. This will present a new challenge to any HC, especially one that is on his first HCing gig. But make no mistake about it, if you give Rex the players? He will get the most out of them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Excellent HC who will hopefully get his long term extension during the season.

After June 1, when Idzik sends Buttfumble packing, the single biggest remaining obstacle to success on the field will be removed.

We'll still be saddled with a handful of the worst fans on the planet here at JI but there's nothing Rex, Idzik or anybody can really do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I was wondering when these threads would start to pop up. NFLN has been playing our HK for the past week and it was sure to stir up some sentimentality from the good old days.

Never seen someone get more mileage out of 4 playoffs wins in my life. Especially considering our piss poor performances (mainly HIS D) in those beloved AFCCG appearances. Combine that with the past two seasons of ineptitude.

Tanny cant get all the blame. Just look at all the leaders we had on the team hen compared to now. Rex played a role in purging the leadership from this team and that has completely bit him in the ass.

Then there is question of how exactly has Rex improved or grown as a HC since then. And for me that it the biggest one. Seems like most of you are resigned to the fact that he is just basically a glorified DC and that MM will run the offense. I think it is pathetic that after 4 years Rex still has a complete disassociation with the offense. Then we could get into his development of players. Seems to me like he is a great button pusher when he has guys that are great playing for him. And for all the credit he gets for being a defensive mastermind he still hasn't drawn up anything to get us a passrush in 4 years. The league caught up with those A gap blitzes a long time ago.

Rex came into his HC gig with a public agenda to slow down Belichick. He succeeded once, and since then his defense has allowed over 36 PPG to the Pats and an 0-4 record. Rex has a ways to go to improve as an HC. Belichick once held an MVP Manning to 3 points in a playoff game.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 05-13-2013 at 06:56 AM.

All League
    Belichick gets to coach a joke of a defense for how many consecutive seasons and he is still Gods gift. If Rex had Brady he would have a ring already. Rex came here, changed two guys on the defense and had the best in the league. And still has an upper tier D every year.
    I was never on board with firing Rex. Fire Rex and he have another he's coaching Job in days. And forget it if he gets a QB