Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 178

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

  1. #61
    This guy is a genius. How come no one has thought of this tactic before?


  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Pretty much. As long geno can throw a screen pass and not buttfumble, he is already better than suckchez. If in the pre-season games geno can avoid throwing boatloads of picks and not look like a scared girl out there then he will be the starter week one.
    Baring injuries to everyone else, Sanchez will never, ever see the playing field in the regular season again wearing a Jets uniform. His best case is that Garrard blows out his knee again and Geno sucks leaving the outside chance that he starts a game or two. Geno cant suck as bad as he would have to suck to allow this.

    Anyone who believes he has a chance to win the job back is fooling themselves.

  3. #63
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4892586]Wouldnt it be better to give Geno as much playing time as possible so you have a better idea of his abilities? Why use a first round pick on a QB in 2014 if you do not have to? If Geno shows the ability that many believe he has, it would be much wiser to use next years first on a true play maker. Geno wasnt a 5th round pick, he was taken in second round.

    Once the season starts the back up QBs get very little reps in practice, so its not like Geno is going to be given all this opportunity to improve if he is on the bench. Watching from the sidelines is nothing more than watching game tape. Players learn from playing.[/QUOTE]

    Not always. And sticking rookies in right away isn't always a success. Often it can be detrimental to a player's growth. There's no way to determine if it helps or hurts a QB to start as a rookie. But most of us can agree that starting Sanchez as a rookie didn't really create long-term success. It's very much a case-by-case basis.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    The vast majority of NFL history disagrees with your claim. It is a rare and recent invention to have QB's start day one and succeed. Most who do have failed.
    Disagree. I don't know what you consider "recent," but after taking a random look at some of the high round QBs chosen over the past 30 years, I've found trends to be very similar to how they are today, with plenty of QBs starting day one. Only in cases where the team already had a quality starter in place (a Terry Bradshaw or Roger Staubach) did the drafted player NOT start day one. I saw no indication either that starting immediately made them more or less likely to fail.

    You claim to want to keep an open mind, letting Geno learn as a backup and definitely draft another QB next year if a "real" franchise QB is available. But how do you even know what we have in Geno yet? So what if the QB class was thought to be terrible, he could prove to be exactly what we need (or more...or less), so long as he earns the job and we let him play.

    I disagree that, regardless, he needs to "sit and learn" just because he's a rookie. He'll sit and learn if Sanchez or Garrard wins the job instead. Smith should be given an equal shot to win the job, and he plays the best of the three, by all means he should start day one. And my admittedly cursory glance at past drafts didn't show that to be a recent or rare trend at all.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Good article. Time for T6 to follow Teblow out the door and move on from the nightmare of his 52 turnovers destroying the last two seasons.
    What are they going to say Geno stinks ! Geno will be a bust, Write it Down. If they loved him so much, why didn't they pick him at 13 ?
    How did he last until pick 39

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    What are they going to say Geno stinks ! Geno will be a bust, Write it Down. If they loved him so much, why didn't they pick him at 13 ?
    How did he last until pick 39
    They would have, but the correctly guessed that no one would draft a QB before their 2nd pick came up. They decided they could grab the two they wanted if they went with Richardson at 13. This is how you run a draft, you look at the entire board and make good decisions.

    And wait for someone to whine that it means they didn't love Geno otherwise they would have taken him at 13. That he isn't all that.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post


    The vast majority of NFL history disagrees with your claim. It is a rare and recent invention to have QB's start day one and succeed. Most who do have failed.
    Its a recent invention because modern QBs come out more prepared than they did in the past.

    Joe Montana attempted 515 passes in his college career (tom Brady 665 in his college career/Troy Aikman attemped 695 in his college career).

    Geno Smith attempted 518 passes LAST YEAR alone and 1465 in his college career. Not suggesting that Geno is in their league, but he is more prepared to start right away than you might think.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Disagree. I don't know what you consider "recent," but after taking a random look at some of the high round QBs chosen over the past 30 years, I've found trends to be very similar to how they are today, with plenty of QBs starting day one. Only in cases where the team already had a quality starter in place (a Terry Bradshaw or Roger Staubach) did the drafted player NOT start day one. I saw no indication either that starting immediately made them more or less likely to fail.

    You claim to want to keep an open mind, letting Geno learn as a backup and definitely draft another QB next year if a "real" franchise QB is available. But how do you even know what we have in Geno yet? So what if the QB class was thought to be terrible, he could prove to be exactly what we need (or more...or less), so long as he earns the job and we let him play.

    I disagree that, regardless, he needs to "sit and learn" just because he's a rookie. He'll sit and learn if Sanchez or Garrard wins the job instead. Smith should be given an equal shot to win the job, and he plays the best of the three, by all means he should start day one. And my admittedly cursory glance at past drafts didn't show that to be a recent or rare trend at all.
    You kind of missed where he said play and succeed.

    Most QBs played because of the financial burden a high priced, high pick QB commanded. So teams had little choice but to write off a season or more while their highly paid QB learned on the fly.

    Equal shots are never going to happen based on competition, theres almost no way that a rookie will outplay the vet in camp. He shouldn't be able to. But the starter is picked for more than just who outplayed who.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    What are they going to say Geno stinks ! Geno will be a bust, Write it Down. If they loved him so much, why didn't they pick him at 13 ?
    How did he last until pick 39
    You don't understand the draft. They like Geno, sure, but they obviously liked Milliner better as a Cb, Same with Richardson as a DL.

    The Seahawks loved Russell Wilson but didn't trade up to the 1st overall pick to take him. The niners liked Kaepernick and waiting until the second round to take him.

    Just because you like a specific QB doesn't mean that you MUST take him with the first pick you have in the draft.

  10. #70
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    SMART man right here! I couldnt agree more

  11. #71
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,201
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    What are they going to say Geno stinks ! Geno will be a bust, Write it Down. If they loved him so much, why didn't they pick him at 13 ?
    How did he last until pick 39
    attention, mike

    Tom Brady drafted in the sixth round


    Brady waited until his second season to start, learning behind a competent veteran in Bledsoe

    As Smith should be allowed to do behind the competent David Garrard


    Having him backup incompetent the incompetent buttfumbling turnover machine would be the only mistake that the Jets could make and hopefully Idzik will solve that problem by booting #6 out the door in June

  12. #72
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.
    .
    +100000000000000000

    Let this kid learn for a year or two

    I think the team has learned its lesson

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    +100000000000000000

    Let this kid learn for a year or two

    I think the team has learned its lesson
    the problem with this approach is, regardless of who the qb is the jets may very well have a top 5 pick in next year's draft. if geno didn't take any snaps in a game, the jets are then faced with the prospect of drafting another qb, possibly in the first round, when they don't know how geno would do in a real game. and if they balk and don't draft a qb in the first do they then hedge and draft one in the early second again? it's definitely worth the jets' investment to see if he has his moments this season.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    .... but he is more prepared to start right away than you might think.
    I havn't made a judgement as to if Smith is ready or not, I'm not in a position to know. I've also been very clear in my position that the best player should play. If thats Smith, then Smith should start.

    I continue to disagree with the implied counter-argument being made that Smith should start no matter how it plays out in camp, and that we cannot even consider drafting a QB in 2014 because we "already have Smith".

    Already I can see some portions of the fanbase engaging in the typical "QB Cult of Personality" regarding Smith. Happened with Pennington, happened with Sanchez, happened with Tebow. Some are already seemingly hoisting every dissapointment of the past 40+ years on Smiths back, and de facto proclaiming him our savior and day 1 starter for life.....a few weeks after he was drafted, and without seeing him throw a single pass.

    Respectfully, I would suggest that is a misguided position to take. I side with our GM's public position, competition is best. Best player plays. If a better player is available, we get him. This isn't about Smith (or Sanchez), it's about building a winning franchise.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible.
    Who has declared him the starter in May? Some random reporter? No one will be named the starter for months.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I havn't made a judgement as to if Smith is ready or not, I'm not in a position to know. I've also been very clear in my position that the best player should play. If thats Smith, then Smith should start.

    I continue to disagree with the implied counter-argument being made that Smith should start no matter how it plays out in camp, and that we cannot even consider drafting a QB in 2014 because we "already have Smith".

    Already I can see some portions of the fanbase engaging in the typical "QB Cult of Personality" regarding Smith. Happened with Pennington, happened with Sanchez, happened with Tebow. Some are already seemingly hoisting every dissapointment of the past 40+ years on Smiths back, and de facto proclaiming him our savior and day 1 starter for life.....a few weeks after he was drafted, and without seeing him throw a single pass.

    Respectfully, I would suggest that is a misguided position to take. I side with our GM's public position, competition is best. Best player plays. If a better player is available, we get him. This isn't about Smith (or Sanchez), it's about building a winning franchise.

    We agree there. I am all for Smith starting if he wins the job and is the best QB in camp or even if he is slightly behind Garrad/Sanchez but is progressing. Part of why I want him to start is to see what we have BEFORE next years draft. The more we see of Geno this year the more we know if we are going to need to draft a QB next year.

  17. #77
    GS3 will be the day 1 starter and every sunday we will bare witness to a Genocide

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    People get way too caught up in the word 'starter'.

    They should do just what Idzik has preached all along, that being camp competition. I believe dumping Sanchez now is not the best cap move and trading him is a long shot. The smart teams like Seattle and SanFran let their be true competition in camp and in the season and the rookies won the battle.

    Keep Sanchez this year, if he is better in camp than the other two he starts. His days are still numbered but no need to rush Geno Smith at all. Best scenario, Sanchez has a decent season and then we get something of value for him next off season.
    This is another of the many good reasons why this is just a poorly-timed and ultimately useless article.

    Whoever said "there's just nothing else to write about after mini camp" is right.

  19. #79
    talk about a knee jerk article.

    Glad to here Geno looks good but after a two day ROOKIE mini-camp, he's ready to be the starter? Atleast wait until the veterans show up

  20. #80
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    Completely agree; Garrard is the mentor? This is premature, lazy speculative journalism.

    Being giddy over a rookie doesn't mean they bump him to the top of the depth chart; a point well obscured by Costello. BOO THIS MAN.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us