Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Im always in the minority, but ive come to the conclusion that Geno absolutely SHOULD be the starter THIS year.

The rookie salary cap is more forgiving (especially for second rounders), and i think he will get enough prep in preseason and TC.

What better way to see what you got then get him in ther at game speed, with real NFL players trying to annihilate him.

Big LOL's to the "Dont start Geno because we started Mark, and look what happened" Really?
    I can't believe how stupid these people are!
    Sanchez never had talent. Geno is already a better QB.
    Geno starts week 1... pvssys

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    And Sanchez would have been #3 behind both garrard and tannilhill last year if all 3 were on same roster.. If Sanchez contract was not so heavily garanteed no question Sanchez would not be on the jets today..
    Rex promising Sanchez the first snap with the first team is just a formality.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I havn't made a judgement as to if Smith is ready or not, I'm not in a position to know. I've also been very clear in my position that the best player should play. If thats Smith, then Smith should start.

I continue to disagree with the implied counter-argument being made that Smith should start no matter how it plays out in camp, and that we cannot even consider drafting a QB in 2014 because we "already have Smith".

Already I can see some portions of the fanbase engaging in the typical "QB Cult of Personality" regarding Smith. Happened with Pennington, happened with Sanchez, happened with Tebow. Some are already seemingly hoisting every dissapointment of the past 40+ years on Smiths back, and de facto proclaiming him our savior and day 1 starter for life.....a few weeks after he was drafted, and without seeing him throw a single pass.

Respectfully, I would suggest that is a misguided position to take. I side with our GM's public position, competition is best. Best player plays. If a better player is available, we get him. This isn't about Smith (or Sanchez), it's about building a winning franchise.
    Man Thank You for your series of Posts!!!!!

Some of us are definitely infected with the FF syndrome.

I remembered when folks spefically warned that Sanchez as a one year college starter shouldn't start right away because he was young and inexperienced, that the Jets had no clear plan to develop him and that they needed at quality vet starter like Garrard or a Garcia to help groom him.

I was told the same things we hear now out here.

Folks were wearing panchos and donning mustaches and were loathe to even entertain that maybe Sanchez wasn't ready.

Now these same folks are calling Sanchez a bust and are setting crazy expectations on Smith all because they are unwilling to calm down and realize FF is not the reality of the NFL...

So thanks again....

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Dude, you just called me a turd, and now u agree with me.
    Lets go have a beer and work through this, i value your eFriendship.

Geno college career was much brighter than Sanchez 1 year.. Ad considering Mark didn't learn anything since his rookie year (still cant read a defense or protect the ball) Geno is a more experienced.. Sanchez was worse last yr than his rookie year.. Geno cannot be worse than Sanchez was in his rookie year.. The fact that we brought in two better rbs and provided depth on the Oline is important.. There will be much less pressure on the Jets then there was in 09. Its not like we have some great old qb geno can sit on the bench for a yr to learn something from.. If he has to sit on the bench and watch sanchez he may very well develop the same terrible habits..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Man Thank You for your series of Posts!!!!!

Some of us are definitely infected with the FF syndrome.

I remembered when folks spefically warned that Sanchez as a one year college starter shouldn't start right away because he was young and inexperienced, that the Jets had no clear plan to develop him and that they needed at quality vet starter like Garrard or a Garcia to help groom him.

I was told the same things we hear now out here.

Folks were wearing panchos and donning mustaches and were loathe to even entertain that maybe Sanchez wasn't ready.

Now these same folks are calling Sanchez a bust and are setting crazy expectations on Smith all because they are unwilling to calm down and realize FF is not the reality of the NFL...

So thanks again....
    What expectations are being put on Smith?? That he could beat out Sanchez and Garrard in a QB competition? Is that really a crazy expectation?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    What expectations are being put on Smith?? That he could beat out Sanchez and Garrard in a QB competition? Is that really a crazy expectation?
    I am not saying you because your posts have not been in that direction but let’s face it people say crazy things out here. They are not realistic and then get upset when their fantasy isn't fulfilled.

Think of the myths that now follow Sanchez.

1. Sanchez was on a team built to win? Really?

Let’s see that so called team "built to win" didn’t even make the playoffs the year before with a HOF QB at the helm in Brett Farve!!!

So based on folks post out here they expect and are expecting a player with one year of college experience to play at the level of a first ballot HOF QB

That doesn’t make any SENSE!!!

2. Jets had a great defense in Sanchez' first year. Well guess what no one could have guaranteed that before the season started in Sanchez' rookie year!!!! That emerged. The Jets hadn't been a top ten defense in years...

Folks are simply looking at the results and setting a standard that no one in NFL history would have employed because no rookie with 1 year college experience has ever won a SB or taken their team to a SB, but somehow the Jets were and some fans were counting on that????

Well guess what if the Jets were this powerhouse that the Jets FO thought were so close to winning a SB then Sanchez was the WRONG pick to begin with. The WRONG pick, period!!!

Sanchez only had one year in college who in their right mind would have said Sanchez would have been anything other than erratic or shaky as a starting NFL QB!!!

Only Jets fans and their inane FO would believe such foolishness because all of the predraft prognosticators to a man said Sanchez was NOT ready to start in the NFL!!! ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!

And that includes his former college HC Pete Carroll...

But when this was pointed out the lunatic brigade out here at that time said "no Tanny knows more than you" or my favorite "why do the Jets have to do things the way everyone else does them?" or even better "We are making our own destiny"

Yeah it’s called losing football.

Man some of these same folks out here now calling for Smith now will be booing him after his first series of horrific picks. They will say all of the stuff we are hearing now was trueWe just as a fan base cannot seem to keep our heads or objectivity.....

But that is just my opinion at the end of the day as I have said before I trust Idzik... Let’s see what he does!!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-13-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    +1

Unless Geno totally sh*ts the bed in camp, he's probably going to be the opening day starter.

Garrard hasn't played in a live game in two years now. The Jets signed him to put him in the Mark Brunell "mentor" role for Geno. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sanchez is going to be buried on the depth chart and that's if Idzik doesn't decide to outright release him next month. The fanbase has had enough. They'll sh*t on him unmercifully if he walks out on that field in any capacity when Tampa comes to town.

Rex looked like he was ready to totally disown the kid after the meltdown in Tennessee last year. Contrast that to the postgame after Arizona when Sanchez was benched and we saw the locker room video of Rex comforting Sanchez at his locker.

Rex knows Sanchez is toast. Hell, everyone in Florham Park knows it. The only reason the goof is still on the roster is because of the silly ass contract extention that Tannenbaum handed him as a makeup kiss on the cheek for flirting with Peyton.

lol ok Mr Brown your 1st two points are

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I am not saying you because your posts have not been in that direction but let’s face it people say crazy things out here. They are not realistic and then get upset when their fantasy isn't fulfilled.

Think of the myths that now follow Sanchez.

1. Sanchez was on a team built to win? Really?

Let’s see that so called team "built to win" didn’t even make the playoffs the year before with a HOF QB at the helm in Brett Farve!!!

So based on folks post out here they expect and are expecting a player with one year of college experience to play at the level of a first ballot HOF QB

the jets were built to win in 08! That's why they went after Farve that's why he wanted to come here.. Jets were 8-3 with Brett Farve weren't they not? he was playing very well as expected.. Then ( I guess you forgot) he tore his bicep and couldn't throw a spiral more than 10 yards.. But Farve being Farve played on, and everyone agreed Clemens couldn't be much better than Farve who could barely throw.. that's why they lost 4 out of last 5 games.. woody Johnson fired Mangini even though he posted a 9-7 record. Because jets were EXPECTED to do better..

2. Jets had a great defense in Sanchez' first year. Well guess what no one could have guaranteed that before the season started in Sanchez' rookie year!!!! That emerged. The Jets hadn't been a top ten defense in years...

Rex Ryan was considered one of the best defensive minds in the nfl years before he came to the Jets.. Just because the Jets never had a top 10 d in years doesn't have anything to do with Rex.. Rex Ryan was going to bring in a top D that was assured.. We had revis and some other quality players on D, its not their fault Mangini and his D cord didn't know what they were doing with them...

Folks are simply looking at the results and setting a standard that no one in NFL history would have employed because no rookie with 1 year college experience has ever won a SB or taken their team to a SB, but somehow the Jets were and some fans were counting on that????

Well guess what if the Jets were this powerhouse that the Jets FO thought were so close to winning a SB then Sanchez was the WRONG pick to begin with. The WRONG pick, period!!!

Why was he the wrong pick? Farve wanted out of NY so he wasn't a option.. top qbs aren't available in FA.. Were lucky to be able to trade for a guy like farve for 1 year.. The only real way to get a good qb is to hope you draft a good 1.. We knew he wasn't a sure thing, but who else was available on FA that was waiting and wanting to come to the Jets?

Sanchez only had one year in college who in their right mind would have said Sanchez would have been anything other erratic or shaky as a starting NFL QB!!!

I agree.. but he was rated to go into the top 10 of the draft, which is why we had to trade up. You expect a top 10 pick to be able to play decent right away.. The jets did the right thing, they didn't lean on Mark much at all.. They were led by a dominate run game with lot of vets, and top Defense..
    Only Jets fans and their inane FO would believe such foolishness because all of the predraft prognosticators to a man said Sanchez was NOT ready to start in the NFL!!! ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!

And that includes his former college HC Pete Carroll...

But when this was pointed out the lunatic brigade out here at that time they said "no Tanny knows more than you" or my favorite "why do the Jets have to do things the way everyone else does them?" or even better "We are making our own destiny"

Yeah it’s called losing football.

Man some of these same folks out here now will booing him after his first series of horrific picks. We just as a fan base cannot seem to keep our heads or objectivity.....

But that is just my opinion at the end of the day as I have said before I trust Idzik... Let’s see what he does!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    again, rewind 2 years.

all the rookie camp reports were how Sanchez took command of the offense, held extra meetings with his teammates, was a "natural leader," etc. I'm hoping that Geno is all those things and more, but reports this time of year are hardly worth anything and shouldn't be used as the basis on which to decide the fate of our QB situation.

I read the article and Costello goes on to say that Sanchez should be traded because the fans hate him. OK. the fans also cheered when Pennington got hurt and the Kellen Clemens era started. hindsight will tell us how ridiculous that sounds now.

all I'm saying is we have a legit QB competition for the first time in ages, let them compete and may best man win. if its Garrard or Smith, then yes, it's time to get rid of Sanchez. but that decision can only be made (rationally) in August. talking about it in May because the coaches are raving about Smith after rookie camp is a waste of time.
    NO NO NO NO NO

Geno should compete, but not against Sanchez. Not because he could lose, because he won't but because Sanchez has already proven beyond ANY doubt that he is the worst starting QB in the NFL, and a team cancer. All you have to do is look at the game where McElroy replaced him to see it. Dumping Sanchez is ALL positive, it removes this chemistry killing failure from the Jets and signals the start of a new regime.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

Sanchez is going to be buried on the depth chart and that's if Idzik doesn't decide to outright release him next month. The fanbase has had enough. They'll sh*t on him unmercifully if he walks out on that field in any capacity when Tampa comes to town. Rex looked like he was ready to totally disown the kid after the meltdown in Tennessee last year. Contrast that to the postgame after Arizona when Sanchez was benched and we saw the locker room video of Rex comforting Sanchez at his locker.
    +1 I wouldn't want to be at Metlife at the opener with Tampa and Revis if Sanchez is the QB..

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post

The 2009 Jets were far more conducive for a rookie QB than the 2013 version. Top Running Game, Top Defense, near top OL, limited WR weapons.
    By comparison the Jets have No RB who has had 150 carries or 500 yards in a season, a good defense, but likely not as good as 2009, and good OL, but with serious questions... You can argue which WR/TE core is better, but I suspect it will depend on how Hill and Cumberland develop and how Holmes comes back from injury.

As for the "QBs learn by playing"... well, that depends on the QB and team. Carson Palmer was a very good QB before his injury, didn't play his rookie season, Neither did Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, even Eli Manning didn't play until halfway through rookie. Plenty of young QBs do need a year to learn and grow, If Sanchez or Garrard outplays him in the training camp, it's not such a terrible thing to not start Geno Smith.

Not every 2nd/3rd rookie turns out like Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton. Also, if the OL is bad, it's probably not so great for a rookie to be beaten up all the time, generally getting sacked a lot as a rookie does not make for a successful career. If the Jets struggle on offense early, but the OL is able to protect the QB (or, if Geno Smith outplays everyone in the preseason) then start him. But... playing just to "get experience" is no more liekly to help a QB then benching him and letting him learn.

I know there are top QBs that playe dright away, but the fact that the Jets drafted him in the 2nd round, does give them to freedom to let him learn... He's not nearly as polished as RGIII, Luck, or Stafford coming out of the draft. And even Luck had more offensive weapons in his rookie season than Geno Smith does.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I havn't made a judgement as to if Smith is ready or not, I'm not in a position to know. I've also been very clear in my position that the best player should play. If thats Smith, then Smith should start.

I continue to disagree with the implied counter-argument being made that Smith should start no matter how it plays out in camp, and that we cannot even consider drafting a QB in 2014 because we "already have Smith".

Already I can see some portions of the fanbase engaging in the typical "QB Cult of Personality" regarding Smith. Happened with Pennington, happened with Sanchez, happened with Tebow. Some are already seemingly hoisting every dissapointment of the past 40+ years on Smiths back, and de facto proclaiming him our savior and day 1 starter for life.....a few weeks after he was drafted, and without seeing him throw a single pass.

Respectfully, I would suggest that is a misguided position to take. I side with our GM's public position, competition is best. Best player plays. If a better player is available, we get him. This isn't about Smith (or Sanchez), it's about building a winning franchise.
    there is no place for sound reasoning and logic here.

GTFO, troll

Keep Sanchez for this yr so Smith can catchup to speed of the nfl. Smith still needs to learn the ropes.

Don't do it backwards Jets.. just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    By comparison the Jets have No RB who has had 150 carries or 500 yards in a season
    We aren't the greatest show on turf talent wise. However.

Ivory had one 500+ season.
    Goodson was close in limited time also.
    Not bad for non starters.

Ivory
    2010 New Orleans Saints 12 4 137 716 5.2

Goodson
    2010 Carolina Panthers 16 3 103 452 4.4

Could be a great duo if they stay healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 I wouldn't want to be at Metlife at the opener with Tampa and Revis if Sanchez is the QB..
    It would be akin to throwing more gas on the fire.

If Revis gets a pick 6 off Sanchez, we'll never hear the end of that sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It would be akin to throwing more gas on the fire.

If Revis gets a pick 6 off Sanchez, we'll never hear the end of that sh*t.
    If? I'll bet the f**king house right now that if Sanchez and Revis play in that game, Revis takes the Boy Blunder's first pass for a score. Put it in the book.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if geno didn't take any snaps in a game, the jets are then faced with the prospect of drafting another qb, possibly in the first round, when they don't know how geno would do in a real game. and if they balk and don't draft a qb in the first do they then hedge and draft one in the early second again? it's definitely worth the jets' investment to see if he has his moments this season.
    By drafting Geno, the Jets have basically made a 4 yr commitment to him

Jets won't sniff an early round QB anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    By drafting Geno, the Jets have basically made a 4 yr commitment to him

Jets won't sniff an early round QB anytime soon
    Not true. Maybe in the old days of high first round qbs getting 50 million guaranteed. However, a second round pick with the new rookie contracts. Yeah, they made a commitment by choosing him in the draft but not one that isn't easily broken. They could change course next year if need be.