Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

Glad to see more and more people jumping on the Geno bandwagon. The weather has been fine over here.

Geno is going to be a star. JetLife stadium will be the house Geno built, just watch.

I'm fine with Costello's approach. I'd let Garrard weather the first few games unless Smith really impresses in training camp. I'm more than OK with Sanchez being removed from the roster through whatever means necessary. I wish him the best down the road, I just don't want to see him in green anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I'm fine with Costello's approach. I'd let Garrard weather the first few games unless Smith really impresses in training camp. I'm more than OK with Sanchez being removed from the roster through whatever means necessary. I wish him the best down the road, I just don't want to see him in green anymore.
    I agree ? I feel his time in green is done;over;fini; kaput! I never saw what some saw in him as a franchise QB . Yet he did provide a few exciting games and I thank him. I hope that Geno comes on strong and becomes our new leader.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    smith needs to sit for a season. no doubt about that. even if sanchez is still the starter it is doubtful if smith will be ready. he really will have his hands full learning the offense.
    Please tell us why. We look at Russell Wilson and know that Geno is a bit more talented then him. Why can't Geno play well?

Hall Of Fame
    If Sanchez is cut now, it greatly diminishes the illusion of a legit QB competition. The Jets have preached competition at the QB position since Idzik arrived here. Even though I agree beating out Sanchez is not going to be a great accomplishment, the Jets can then say Geno won the job and it was not handed to him. Its all about perception at this point IMO.

Pat kirwan and Tim Ryan laughed at this article on Sirius nfl radio. Then they went on to say why it's stupid. The jets have 1 last opportunity to see what they have in Sanchez under mourningweg while they watch geno develop. If Sanchez sinks there will be no question if they gave up on him too early. If he plays great en that's an awesome problem to have. Meanwhile it's never wrong to let your rookie sit on the bench and learn.

So what if gerrard starts? That benefits no one. He probably won't be here next year no matter what so if he wins the job it means nothing for the jets unless geno absolutely becomes the answer. If for some reason genos development doesn't happen the way the jets hoped then at least Sanchez might resurrect his career under our new oc. Garrard won't have a resurrection. He's too old to have much left in the tank. By keeping Sanchez we only have more chances to succeed. By cutting him we only have less chances to succeed.

Why do people keep talking like Garrard is 45 years old or something?!

He's younger than that bltch, Brady, who is most CERTAINLY a bltch.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Sanchez is cut now, it greatly diminishes the illusion of a legit QB competition. The Jets have preached competition at the QB position since Idzik arrived here. Even though I agree beating out Sanchez is not going to be a great accomplishment, the Jets can then say Geno won the job and it was not handed to him. Its all about perception at this point IMO.
    I mean I can live with this approach as well. Although reports were last season that Garrard was beating out Tannehill prior to his injury, so he is competition, even if he hasn't played in a while. I just wonder if Sanchez has enough ties to players on the roster where his presence would be a distraction. If he starts, the fanbase will be restless at home games. If he is the backup, there may be vets who grumble that he should be playing. I really just see him as a distraction this season if the team has already decided he isn't the future. Not to mention it cannot be stated enough that Rex has a soft spot for him and may award him the job even if he hasn't earned it, in which case the media will be all over Rex and the team and this season will be a disaster starting week 1.

Hall Of Fame
    I mean I can live with this approach as well. Although reports were last season that Garrard was beating out Tannehill prior to his injury, so he is competition, even if he hasn't played in a while. I just wonder if Sanchez has enough ties to players on the roster where his presence would be a distraction. If he starts, the fanbase will be restless at home games. If he is the backup, there may be vets who grumble that he should be playing. I really just see him as a distraction this season if the team has already decided he isn't the future. Not to mention it cannot be stated enough that Rex has a soft spot for him and may award him the job even if he hasn't earned it, in which case the media will be all over Rex and the team and this season will be a disaster starting week 1.
    I dont think Sanchez has many, if any at all, players who will grumble if he doesnt win the starting job. Honestly I could see a scenario in which after the third pre season game that Geno could be announced as starter and the "winner" of the QB competition, and then Sanchez is released. In an ideal world I think this is what the Jets want to happen.

I'm not so sure about that... Rex looked like he wanted to murder him the last couple games.
    But what choice do you have? TEBOW?!!!

I dont think Sanchez has many, if any at all, players who will grumble if he doesnt win the starting job. Honestly I could see a scenario in which after the third pre season game that Geno could be announced as starter and the "winner" of the QB competition, and then Sanchez is released. In an ideal world I think this is what the Jets want to happen.
    I agree, I'm sure this is what the team (at least Idzik and his guys) want to have happen. I don't dislike Rex, but I am sure he is pulling for Mark to emerge as the starter for one last go. Rex is just a loyal guy and he made Sanchez one of "his guys" a while ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    So what if gerrard starts? That benefits no one. He probably won't be here next year no matter what so if he wins the job it means nothing for the jets unless geno absolutely becomes the answer. If for some reason genos development doesn't happen the way the jets hoped then at least Sanchez might resurrect his career under our new oc. Garrard won't have a resurrection. He's too old to have much left in the tank. By keeping Sanchez we only have more chances to succeed. By cutting him we only have less chances to succeed.
    Couldnt agree more, there is no point in Garrard starting, can't support that at all. Geno, if he's ready, or Sanchez, but Garrard shouldn't be part of the equation.

Jets Insider VIP
    The only thing keeping buttfumble6 around past June 1 insures is another lost season filled with interceptions, fumbles, sacks and losses

A disaster

Doesn't have to happen. ..DUMP HIM in June. Start the savvy experienced and efficient veteran Garrard...have a decent season Jet fans can enjoy for a change, let Smith learn by watching a real QB and transition gracefully into the starting role.

No.sense letting Matt Leinart II ruin three seasons I'm a row. Time to cut bait

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Only with a proper tilde.
    JT would insist on a dilde

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the problem with this approach is, regardless of who the qb is the jets may very well have a top 5 pick in next year's draft. if geno didn't take any snaps in a game, the jets are then faced with the prospect of drafting another qb, possibly in the first round, when they don't know how geno would do in a real game. and if they balk and don't draft a qb in the first do they then hedge and draft one in the early second again? it's definitely worth the jets' investment to see if he has his moments this season.
    With the rookie salary cap in place there should be no problem with drafting more than one possible "franchise" QB. In fact it could turn out to be a very nice way of finding that diamond in mine. In the past you couldn't commit to drafting a QB high in successive years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Why do people keep talking like Garrard is 45 years old or something?!

He's younger than that bltch, Brady, who is most CERTAINLY a bltch.
    But Brady's been hit about 500 times less than Garrard, unless you want to count from the backside. Plus Brady does not knock himself out of the lineup before he even enters the season. Garrard is a good QB just like Chad was , injuries catch up to players in this game.

What gives you that basis, just pure speculation. For all we know the discord and disharmony on offense could have been the frustration with the OC the HC and the playcalling, especially from someone like Holmes who really just wants the ball all the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    What gives you that basis, just pure speculation. For all we know the discord and disharmony on offense could have been the frustration with the OC the HC and the playcalling, especially from someone like Holmes who really just wants the ball all the time.
    I didnt say the players hate Mark, I said that there probably isnt any that would be really upset if Geno started. Players want to win, and want the best QB to play, if that is Geno I highly doubt any of the players are going to be pissed and wanting Sanchez back as starter.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    good post but I strongly feel that if Garrard is healthy and stays healthy, he will win the job...fact is there is a possibility that Garrard takes the job....if sanchez wins and manages to keep it then that's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I agree with the quoted section.

1. No one gets cut at QB till mid-pre season.

2. Everyone competes. Best man wins the #1 job.

3. The 2nd and 3rd best get the #2 and #3 jobs. #4 and #5 get cut.

4. IMO that means our QB's will be Sanchez, Gerrard and Smith, in that order, opening day. McElroy and Simms will both be cut.

5. When Sanchez falters (and I believe he will) and Smith has had time to raise his game, the transition can/should be made.

6. Sanchez is allowed to leave for 2014. Smith is the #1, and we look at the draft in 2014 to see whats available, and draft accordingly. No guarantee Smith gets the #1 job in 2014, and yes, we might draft a QB in the first if thats the value.

My take.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I agree 100 percent....I am no fan of sanchez but he has the ability to hold down the fort...I am not optimistic, but it's possible. Unlike many here I am looking past the hatred for sanchez. He now has the best OC since he has been a pro...that can make a major difference. Yes he had a horrid 2012 but this is 2013.....I am in no way rooting against sanchez as many are...makes no sense to root against a player on your team. So many people here also second guess the jets.....the way things are going, I have complete faith In them. Rewind to may 2012....the feeling was drab, dull and gloom. The air just feels nice in jet land right now. The media is trying their best to stir things up and its failing big time. We also have a young qb who is off to a nice start as a pro. We also have a proven vet in Garrard. Sanchez may actually shine under Marty M. I am just looking at it on a rational football perspective.....I'm passed the idiotic sanchez jokes and name calling....this is football...I support ANY QB WHO CAN HELP US WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you!!!!

The same people who are advocating that Geno start now are some of the same people who were advocating that Sanchez immediately start only to turn on him like a pack of wild animals.

I said the SAME THING when Sanchez was drafted; Smith is a rookie and he may need time to become used to playing in New York, with a media that wants in many cases for you to fail, as well as just being an NFL rookie QB. That is not easy. Doesn't matter how much money you make or where you are drafted!!! It takes time to adjust!!!

The only thing I feel confident about this time, that knew wasn't the case with Tanny Boy is that Idzik has a plan, it might not be my plan, but he has a plan I am sure to develop the QB position and as a Jets fan that is all I can ask.