Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 178

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

  1. #1

    Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...NSWgNYjMbxSErL

    The Jetsí decision-makers are in love.

    You can tell from talking to people around the team during this weekendís rookie mini-camp that many in the organization are smitten with new quarterback Geno Smith. Itís beginning to look more and more like the starting job is his to lose.

    Smith was impressive during the two days of the mini-camp open to the media. His passes had great zip on them and he looked more decisive as the practices went on as he got more comfortable in the offense. The 22-year-old was even more impressive off the field. He held playersí only meetings at the team hotel to learn the plays and handled the media like a longtime pro.

    This is not to say the competition is over and Mark Sanchez should start packing up his headbands. There is no doubt this is going to stretch into the summer.

    Two days of rookie camp in shorts are not enough to judge someone on. But there is a sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing. So, if he can hit the side of the Atlantic Health Training Center with a pass and not commit any buttfumbles between now and September, the Jets will give him the starting nod.

    Even if he does stumble, I think the Jets will go with veteran David Garrard to start the season and serve as Smithís mentor until he is ready to take over the job like Kurt Warner did in 2004 for Eli Manning with the Giants.

    Where does all of this leave Sanchez?

    The best scenario for the Jets is: Smith shows heís capable, Garrard proves heís healthy and another team suffers an injury at quarterback during the preseason. Then, the Jets could trade Sanchez to the quarterback-needy team ó after agreeing to eat about $6 million of the $8.75 million coming to him.

    The only way I think Sanchez is a Jet when the season begins against Darrelle Revis and the Buccaneers is if Garrard gets injured and Smith canít figure out an NFL offense.

    Sanchez can still play quarterback in the NFL. Even after 52 turnovers over the last two years, this is not someone who is finished. On the right team with the right supporting cast, Sanchez can win games.

    But that is no longer with the Jets.

    Sanchezís status with the Jets and their fan base reminds me of Oliver Perez with the Mets a few years ago. General manager Omar Minaya gave Perez a ridiculous contract just like Mike Tannenbaum did with Sanchez. That forced the Mets to keep Perez around longer than they should have.

    Perez had some good moments for the Mets. His start in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS would have been one of the franchiseís great moments if the Mets had won the game. By 2011, though, the bad outweighed the good and the fans viewed Perez as a symbol of everything wrong during the Minaya era.

    The Mets allowed Perez to come to spring training that year, but cut him before the season, not wanting an ugly scene at Citi Field on Opening Day. Perez is still in the majors, pitching now for the Mariners.

    Sanchez is the only Jets quarterback to ever lead the team to two AFC Championship games, but fell short in both. He is now a constant reminder of the Tannenbaum era, something the Jets are trying to turn the page from.

    The Jets know if Sanchez takes the field at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 8, the fans will grumble. If he throws an interception to Revis, the $1.6 million East Rutherford eyesore might crumble.

    Sanchez needs to be in another uniform by Sept. 8. The Jets can only hope Smithís skill and Garrardís health allows them to make the move that everyone around the Jets needs to.

    Itís time to move on.

  2. #2
    More and more, I'm getting excited about GS3. We should curb our enthusiasm until we see some results on the field, though. I also don't want to just give the job to anyone. Like Idzik said, "COMPETE, B****!". Paraphrasing.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,857
    Good article. Time for T6 to follow Teblow out the door and move on from the nightmare of his 52 turnovers destroying the last two seasons.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,404
    Thank you, Brian Costello, for writing something that actually needed to be said - not just all the same old "QB circus, buttfumbles remains the starter" BS that the rest of the beat writers have been churning out all offseason.

    Idzik knows Sanchez is done - everything he has said (and not said) and done since he got the job positively screams that Idzik will move Sanchez out as soon as he finds the best way to do it (trade to desperate team or straight post June-1 cut).

    It's coming...Idzik is wiping the slate clean, and moving ahead at QB.

  5. #5
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Thank you, Brian Costello, for writing something that actually needed to be said - not just all the same old "QB circus, buttfumbles remains the starter" BS that the rest of the beat writers have been churning out all offseason.

    Idzik knows Sanchez is done - everything he has said (and not said) and done since he got the job positively screams that Idzik will move Sanchez out as soon as he finds the best way to do it (trade to desperate team or straight post June-1 cut).

    It's coming...Idzik is wiping the slate clean, and moving ahead at QB.
    Sanchez is now in the same seat tebow was for past few months.. Like with tebow, izdik will eventually rid this team of Sanchez but there is no point in rushing. While it may help out mark, he will be held hostage here like tebow. Waitng for any type of trade value to develop.. right now sanchez a much worse trade value then tebow when you consider his salary compared to tebow's. We are going to have to eat a chunk of the money just for any team to even consider taking him.. but first we need to make sure our #1 and #2 qbs are in right direction.. Garrard needs to prove he's healthy, and if geno shows he may be ready there is no way Sanchez stays.. Mark must be crossing his fingers something happens to 1 of those two..

  7. #7
    I agree with what he's saying the in the long term, but I disagree with any inference that would suggest we should just simply pass the torch over to Geno.

    Lets be consistent here. Sanchez NEVER had to compete for his job. He was just handed it, which is pure stupidity. Geno should NEVER be given the same kind of advantage. Make that kid work his A$$ off and earn the opportunity.

    Because assuming he does win? He'll be proud of his own accomplishment, the team will be proud of it, but most of all the PLAYERS will be satisfied with the outcome. They'll know that Geno EARNED the job. That will be a guy that the team will go to war for.

    The players likely never respected Mark Sanchez because of his prima dona treatment. I think it showed in their play.

    Most of all? Even if they hate Geno Smith and think he sucks, this is still, at least for the time being, ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION. The players will play their A$$es off for Geno because they'll know have a chance at winning now.

    So once again, I like the article. But lets sit back and watch the cream rise to the top. Lets watch Geno in an all-out, fair fight for the starting job. If he wins? EVERYONE will be excited about the potential for the team to win this season.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,857
    Buttfumble out in June

    Garrard an efficient hold the fort guy and mentor this season

    Smith learning from an efficient veteran mentor and taking the reins as early as 2014.

    Once step one is accomplished, the Jets can move on successfully

  9. #9
    I honestly think this fanbase gets dumber by the minute (general comment, no one specific in mind)

    The consensus #1 QB in the draft looked good against undrafted rookies? This is news? It would only be news if he DIDN'T look good. This writer even admits Sanchez can win games "somewhere, but not here". Well guess what, this team is NOTHING like it was last year -- deeper OL, superior OC, QB competition . . . either say Sanchez is done or give him a shot to succeed here, don't just throw him out the door without a thought! Let things play out and the best QB wins. If that's Geno, great. But there's no way I want to see Sanchez have ANY success somewhere else without knowing that we gave him every chance to do so here.

    "But the fans will boo him out of the stadium" . . . yeah, that just brings me back to my original point . . .

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    More and more, I'm getting excited about GS3. We should curb our enthusiasm until we see some results on the field, though. I also don't want to just give the job to anyone. Like Idzik said, "COMPETE, B****!". Paraphrasing.
    Why GS3?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Why GS3?
    Because he's named after his his father and grandpa. Eugene Smith III. GS3 nation, where you at?

    If that doesn't tickle you right, we could always go with Mint Chocolate, Mean Gene, and, of course, Clyde.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,731
    Hey Costello, overreact much??? I'm hoping for the best with Smith but
    after three "rookie minicamps" you can't judge anything. Let's calm down

  13. #13
    Sensitive6 is as good as gone.

    If he's on the team come Week 1, I'll be shocked.

    Geno, Garrard, McElroy on the 53, Simms on the PS. There's your depth chart.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    Very true and the article is rather frivolous. Let the best man Earn the starting position. Evidently the writer's just trying to spark a story rather than stick with facts and logic.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Sensitive6 is as good as gone.

    If he's on the team come Week 1, I'll be shocked.

    Geno, Garrard, McElroy on the 53, Simms on the PS. There's your depth chart.
    Yup, that's the way I see it - either Geno as the starter with Garrard as the vet backup, or Garrard as the hold-the-fort starter with Geno learning from the sideline until he is ready to start. McElroy as the #3.

    Not sure if Simms makes the PS though - he didn't last year. There should be some interesting rookie FA camp cuts from other teams who might be candidates for the PS though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    And when the Jets get rid of Sanchez and Geno flops early and often the Jets will be criticized for not knowing how to bring a QB along and develop him properly. There is no reason to get rid of Sanchez right now...in fact there are plenty of reasons to hold on to him.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because he's named after his his father and grandpa. Eugene Smith III. GS3 nation, where you at?

    If that doesn't tickle you right, we could always go with Mint Chocolate, Mean Gene, and, of course, Clyde.
    What about "Not a Ginzo"?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What about "Not a Ginzo"?
    We'll call him Borgeno.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

    The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

    Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

    You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    It may be stupid, but not beyond. No one said they were giving the rookie the starting job. You, my friend are reading the headlines again, and ignoring the article which is written by the reporter, and not some sensationalist headline writer guy. Cos said that Garrard should start. The only thing he did say was that it's obvious that GS3 (No relation to SG3 McGinley) is mature beyond his years. Has a lot of poise, and talent. He's a leader that wants to win, and they are hoping he does win the job.

    I believe we have put to bed the "punk", "diva" stories though. Didn't take but 2 days of getting to see the kid. Now can people admit this was hack journalism at it's worst?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We'll call him Borgeno.
    Only with a proper tilde.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us