Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Completely agree; Garrard is the mentor? This is premature, lazy speculative journalism.

Being giddy over a rookie doesn't mean they bump him to the top of the depth chart; a point well obscured by Costello. BOO THIS MAN.
    Are you saying Gee No to Geno??

All League
    Reporting is a copycat league:

More talk that Sanchez won’t be a Jet when the season starts

Posted by Michael David Smith

Mark Sanchez may be atop the Jets’ quarterback depth chart right now. But he may not be on the Jets’ quarterback depth chart at all in four months.

There’s increasing talk that if rookie Geno Smith looks good this summer, and if veteran David Garrard stays healthy, that the Jets will go into the season with Smith and Garrard as their top two quarterbacks, and go into the season without Sanchez at all.

Peter King writes at SI.com that it wouldn’t be surprising if the Jets traded Sanchez or cut him before Week One, while the New York Post reports that the Jets are smitten with Smith and view the starting quarterback job as Smith’s to lose. In fact, the Post‘s Brian Costello believes the only way Sanchez will be a Jet this season is if Smith simply can’t figure out an NFL offense by September and Garrard simply can’t stay healthy at age 35.

The problem, of course, is Sanchez’s contract, which guarantees him $8.75 million whether he’s on the Jets or not. But the Post suggests that the Jets might agree to eat about $6 million of that as part of a trade. No team would trade for Sanchez on his current deal, but some team might trade for Sanchez if the Jets are paying most of his salary.

Jets coach Rex Ryan has said that Sanchez will get the first snap of the first practice with the first-string offense, and that after that, it’s an open competition for the job. But the competition with Smith and Garrard will be a tough one for Sanchez to win. And if he doesn’t win, he may be done in New York.
    Preparation and looking good at practice was never Mark's problem.

It's on Sundays that he falls asleep at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    GS3 will be the day 1 starter and every sunday we will bare witness to a Genocide
    I hope Geno's an uncontrollable lunatic that antagonizes coaches, calls his own plays, and annihilates opponents.

Forget about Garrard starting. He was signed to replace Tebow who replaced Brunell. That's his role. Besides, he's the smallest QB in our entire inventory.

Garrard struggled to beat out Leftwich, got dumped for Gabbert, and was penciled in as the starter for Miami based on experience alone.

Tannehill would've won the job no matter what.

Except Tannehill DIDN'T win the job...

somebody pump the brakes.

The kid's had a couple of practices against other rookies and he's being hailed as the next coming???

Talk about a setup for failure....

He might be all that and a bag of chips but based on a couple of practices????

This is the time of year when everyone is excited for a new season but the fact is that in 3 years, half of the draft picks of this year will likely be cut or playing somewhere else. Maybe half of that will be starting. Maybe one is a pro bowler. That's every team BTW.

Let the kid develop before everyone puts all their hopes and dreams on his shoulders.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Neither did Garrard officially. Things didn't play out fully. Garrard had surgery and didn't play a preseason game.

You can't say Garrard would've won the job for sure or kept the job if he started Week One.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Actually he did. People say Garrard would have been the starter because he was listed first in the initial depth chart forgetting Mat Moore was also listed ahead of Tanehill. That depth chart meant nothing.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    somebody pump the brakes.

The kid's had a couple of practices against other rookies and he's being hailed as the next coming???

Talk about a setup for failure....

He might be all that and a bag of chips but based on a couple of practices????

This is the time of year when everyone is excited for a new season but the fact is that in 3 years, half of the draft picks of this year will likely be cut or playing somewhere else. Maybe half of that will be starting. Maybe one is a pro bowler. That's every team BTW.

Let the kid develop before everyone puts all their hopes and dreams on his shoulders.
    Face it, would anybody be excited about this season if we didn't acquire Geno?

Sanchez, Garrard, McElroy, Simms.

Excuse me while I go ...

Jets Insider VIP
    The benefit of keeping Sanchez (turnover6) is that he will make Geno a better QB in the long run. I think we benefit by keeping Sanchez during 2013 and let Geno earn his way onto the teams starting position. If he is obviously a much better QB at the start of the season then, yes, he starts; however, most very good QB benefit by sitting for awhile.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Actually he did. People say Garrard would have been the starter because he was listed first in the initial depth chart forgetting Mat Moore was also listed ahead of Tanehill. That depth chart meant nothing.
    Agreed. Much like Sanchez will be listed as the #1 QB on the Jets depth chart when camp starts. It meant nothing in the first week of camp. Tannehill would have had to have a disaster of a camp to not be named starter.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Im always in the minority, but ive come to the conclusion that Geno absolutely SHOULD be the starter THIS year.

The rookie salary cap is more forgiving (especially for second rounders), and i think he will get enough prep in preseason and TC.

What better way to see what you got then get him in ther at game speed, with real NFL players trying to annihilate him.

Big LOL's to the "Dont start Geno because we started Mark, and look what happened" Really?

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets are going to give Smith every opportunity to "win" the job. They are hoping he has a TC like Wilson had last year for the Seahawks.

Mark's future is not here. Why delay the inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Jets are going to give Smith every opportunity to "win" the job. They are hoping he has a TC like Wilson had last year for the Seahawks.

Then I hope that you're ready for Garrard. If you put Geno out there before he's ready, it could ruin him. If Sanchez is cut, I would prepare for someone other than Geno. Struggle is one thing but if he has no success, it could end his career before it starts.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Then I hope that you're ready for Garrard. If you put Geno out there before he's ready, it could ruin him. If Sanchez is cut, I would prepare for someone other than Geno. Struggle is one thing but if he has no success, it could end his career before it starts.
    Good, best to weed out the pansies now.
    Luck, and RGIII and Wilson(just last year) didnt need "adjustment time", and neither should Geno if he is going to be the franchise qb.

Also, he would get a few years if he showed any kind of progression whatsoever. Mark showed none, and is still riding the train.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Neither did Garrard officially. Things didn't play out fully. Garrard had surgery and didn't play a preseason game.

You can't say Garrard would've won the job for sure or kept the job if he started Week One.
    And Sanchez would have been #3 behind both garrard and tannilhill last year if all 3 were on same roster.. If Sanchez contract was not so heavily garanteed no question Sanchez would not be on the jets today..

Hall Of Fame
    Some great QBs have been on some awful teams early in their careers. Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman. If Geno has the brain and the backbone, he will handle whatever happens. Some guys just don't have the makeup.

And it isn't like we took him in the Top 5. He is a 2nd round pick. If we don't like what we see then we can take another QB next year. The Jets aren't dependent on what happens with Geno. If he turns out to be a good player that will be great. But if he doesn't the team would have sucked anyway. It is not like we are putting him on a ready-made team like we did with Sanchez.

Sanchez is a goner either way. Idzik is waiting to see if Garrard is healthy and can stay healthy. I think Sanchez gets traded or cut before season.

From what is being said about the way he handles the interviews after practices, he shows he can handle it mentally. I'm in the start Geno group unless he is like a deer in the headlights. If we are going to suck this year, ie Cowoys w/Aikman, might as well let Geno learn on the field. Plus Mark already proved he can't handle the spotlight being focused on him, although I think a smaller market and less female temptation could help him too

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Because we need every bit of cap room we can get and cutting Sanchez gives us another $4 mil in dead cap space that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Sanchez is a goner either way. Idzik is waiting to see if Garrard is healthy and can stay healthy. I think Sanchez gets traded or cut before season.
    No NFL Team is trading for Sanchez. Just like no one wanted Tebow. The idea that any NFL GM wants Sanchez at his cap # is almost as asinine as holding onto Tebow until after the draft in the hopes that someone would offer us a pick for him.

Sanchez is the 3rd string QB next season boys with Garrard and Geno as 1 and 2 on the depth chart respectively. Get used to it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Im always in the minority, but ive come to the conclusion that Geno absolutely SHOULD be the starter THIS year.

The rookie salary cap is more forgiving (especially for second rounders), and i think he will get enough prep in preseason and TC.

What better way to see what you got then get him in ther at game speed, with real NFL players trying to annihilate him.

Big LOL's to the "Dont start Geno because we started Mark, and look what happened" Really?
    Agreed. Strike while the iron is hot.

Let Geno feed off the energy like Mark did his rookie year. It's a good thing.

That "put him on the shelf for a year" mentality is for wusses that buy new sneakers and keep them boxed and stuffed with tissue cos they're afraid they might get dirty.

You folks know who you are.