Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I agree with the quoted section.

1. No one gets cut at QB till mid-pre season.

2. Everyone competes. Best man wins the #1 job.

3. The 2nd and 3rd best get the #2 and #3 jobs. #4 and #5 get cut.

4. IMO that means our QB's will be Sanchez, Gerrard and Smith, in that order, opening day. McElroy and Simms will both be cut.

5. When Sanchez falters (and I believe he will) and Smith has had time to raise his game, the transition can/should be made.

6. Sanchez is allowed to leave for 2014. Smith is the #1, and we look at the draft in 2014 to see whats available, and draft accordingly. No guarantee Smith gets the #1 job in 2014, and yes, we might draft a QB in the first if thats the value.

My take.
    I am expecting the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    GS3 is just f-ing lame!!! Just because of RG3, we have to call our QB GS3?? WTF. It's just stupid!!!!

Oh and to anawer your question, I guess both Geno's dad and grandfather were both named Eugene..
    Yeah, GS3 is pretty pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Look at how upset this wack beta is over my boy GS3. Y u mirin' so hard, breh?
    Yep..

Yep..
    Sometimes it's simply best to ignore idiocy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    Thank you!!!!

The same people who are advocating that Geno start now are some of the same people who were advocating that Sanchez immediately start only to turn on him like a pack of wild animals.

I said the SAME THING when Sanchez was drafted; Smith is a rookie and he may need time to become used to playing in New York, with a media that wants in many cases for you to fail, as well as just being an NFL rookie QB. That is not easy. Doesn't matter how much money you make or where you are drafted!!! It takes time to adjust!!!

The only thing I feel confident about this time, that knew wasn't the case with Tanny Boy is that Idzik has a plan, it might not be my plan, but he has a plan I am sure to develop the QB position and as a Jets fan that is all I can ask.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-13-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with the quoted section.

1. No one gets cut at QB till mid-pre season.

4. IMO that means our QB's will be Sanchez, Gerrard and Smith, in that order, opening day. McElroy and Simms will both be cut.

5. When Sanchez falters (and I believe he will) and Smith has had time to raise his game, the transition can/should be made.

6. Sanchez is allowed to leave for 2014. Smith is the #1, and we look at the draft in 2014 to see whats available, and draft accordingly. No guarantee Smith gets the #1 job in 2014, and yes, we might draft a QB in the first if thats the value.

My take.
    Wouldnt it be better to give Geno as much playing time as possible so you have a better idea of his abilities? Why use a first round pick on a QB in 2014 if you do not have to? If Geno shows the ability that many believe he has, it would be much wiser to use next years first on a true play maker. Geno wasnt a 5th round pick, he was taken in second round.

Once the season starts the back up QBs get very little reps in practice, so its not like Geno is going to be given all this opportunity to improve if he is on the bench. Watching from the sidelines is nothing more than watching game tape. Players learn from playing.

Jets Insider VIP
    let Smith learn how the NFL works in practice and in watching a competent veteran, David Garrard run the Jets offense for a year.

The only disaster would be for him to watch Buttfumble piss away game after game after game with his annual 26 turnovers and learn how to do everything the wrong way

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I honestly think this fanbase gets dumber by the minute (general comment, no one specific in mind)

The consensus #1 QB in the draft looked good against undrafted rookies? This is news? It would only be news if he DIDN'T look good. This writer even admits Sanchez can win games "somewhere, but not here". Well guess what, this team is NOTHING like it was last year -- deeper OL, superior OC, QB competition . . . either say Sanchez is done or give him a shot to succeed here, don't just throw him out the door without a thought! Let things play out and the best QB wins. If that's Geno, great. But there's no way I want to see Sanchez have ANY success somewhere else without knowing that we gave him every chance to do so here.

"But the fans will boo him out of the stadium" . . . yeah, that just brings me back to my original point . . .
    I also say what I said to the other post above yours!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree with what he's saying the in the long term, but I disagree with any inference that would suggest we should just simply pass the torch over to Geno.

Lets be consistent here. Sanchez NEVER had to compete for his job. He was just handed it, which is pure stupidity. Geno should NEVER be given the same kind of advantage. Make that kid work his A$$ off and earn the opportunity.Because assuming he does win? He'll be proud of his own .
    You have to wonder if Favre came back in 2009 and had that 33 td 7 pick season for the Jets instead of the Vikes if that would have had us in the Bowl??

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Wouldnt it be better to give Geno as much playing time as possible so you have a better idea of his abilities?
    Implication being that the Coaching Staff who will watch every throw Smith will make from now till 2014 would be unable to make an educated determination of Smith's potential UNLESS he starts every game in 2013?

I would not agree, no.

Why use a first round pick on a QB in 2014 if you do not have to?
    Depends on who or what is available. If a Luck, Marino or Manning is available, you do not skip that because you have Gino Smith on the roster. Best case, you have a franchise QB and an asset to trade.

....it would be much wiser to use next years first on a true play maker.
    It all depends on who or what is available and when. Respectfully, you do not base your entire future on a player like Gino Smith if a superior option is available at your selection. Smith may have potential, but he is not considered a sure-thing franchise QB by anyone, anywhere. He was the best QB in the worst QB class in recent memory.

So, taking the staff's opinions into consideration going into Draft 2014, if a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck is available, no, you do not pass on them to pick a RB or WR in the first round top 2-3 picks, no.

Geno wasnt a 5th round pick, he was taken in second round.
    Irrelevant. Making long-term franchise decision based on where an existing player was selected, instead of the skills/talent of that player and the possible aqusition, is a Tannenbaum-style type of managment. The kind of management that leads to Ghost being on our team.

You do whats best to make your team the best. That might mean you do not pass on a QB just because you have a 2nd Round Pick QB already on the roster. Stress "might".

Once the season starts the back up QBs get very little reps in practice, so its not like Geno is going to be given all this opportunity to improve if he is on the bench. Watching from the sidelines is nothing more than watching game tape. Players learn from playing.
    The vast majority of NFL history disagrees with your claim. It is a rare and recent invention to have QB's start day one and succeed. Most who do have failed.

Jets Insider VIP
    once Buttfumble is booted out in June, things will be able to proceed in an orderly manner in Florham Park and Cortland without the distraction of a failed headband wearing turnover machine around wasting practice reps

Garrard starts, Smith backs up and learns from a competent vet, McElroy hangs around in case of emergency

Jets Insider VIP
    Implication being that the Coaching Staff who will watch every throw Smith will make from now till 2014 would be unable to make an educated determination of Smith's potential UNLESS he starts every game in 2013?

I would not agree, no.

Depends on who or what is available. If a Luck, Marino or Manning is available, you do not skip that because you have Gino Smith on the roster. Best case, you have a franchise QB and an asset to trade.

It all depends on who or what is available and when. Respectfully, you do not base your entire future on a player like Gino Smith if a superior option is available at your selection. Smith may have potential, but he is not considered a sure-thing franchise QB by anyone, anywhere. He was the best QB in the worst QB class in recent memory.

So, taking the staff's opinions into consideration going into Draft 2014, if a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck is available, no, you do not pass on them to pick a RB or WR in the first round top 2-3 picks, no.

Irrelevant. Making long-term franchise decision based on where an existing player was selected, instead of the skills/talent of that player and the possible aqusition, is a Tannenbaum-style type of managment. The kind of management that leads to Ghost being on our team.

You do whats best to make your team the best. That might mean you do not pass on a QB just because you have a 2nd Round Pick QB already on the roster. Stress "might".

The vast majority of NFL history disagrees with your claim. It is a rare and recent invention to have QB's start day one and succeed. Most who do have failed.
    This is a brilliant post!!!!!!!!

It's cigar and martini time for me if this happens!

Hall Of Fame

I would not agree, no.

So what is your point?? That Geno shouldnt start at all? or shouldnt start the entire season??
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 05-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Yep..

People get way too caught up in the word 'starter'.

They should do just what Idzik has preached all along, that being camp competition. I believe dumping Sanchez now is not the best cap move and trading him is a long shot. The smart teams like Seattle and SanFran let their be true competition in camp and in the season and the rookies won the battle.

Keep Sanchez this year, if he is better in camp than the other two he starts. His days are still numbered but no need to rush Geno Smith at all. Best scenario, Sanchez has a decent season and then we get something of value for him next off season.

So what is your point?? That Geno shouldnt start at all? or shouldnt start the entire season??
    Respectfully, I believe I very clearly made my point in the initial post you quoted:

So, clearly "Gino shouldn't start" is not an argument I made. To reiterate:

1. Gino SHOULD start if he is the best QB on the roster, playing the best, in the pre-season and camp 2013.

2. Gino SHOULD start if Sanchez (or Gerrard) wins the competition, but falters during the season leading to his replacement.

And 3. Gino should have the obvious opportunity to start in 2014, if a superior option at QB is not available in the draft OR if that superior option is available but does not beat out Gino in camp/pre-season 2014.

All Pro
    Geno Smith is going to start from day 1, and he's going to earn it with his play on the field and preparation off the field. He's the best quarterback on the roster, by far.

for all those saying geno shouldn't start off the season as the starter, that's ok. but it's definitely important to see him enough this season b/c the jets need to know if they're going to draft a qb in the first round next year.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Wouldnt it be better to give Geno as much playing time as possible so you have a better idea of his abilities? Why use a first round pick on a QB in 2014 if you do not have to? If Geno shows the ability that many believe he has, it would be much wiser to use next years first on a true play maker. Geno wasnt a 5th round pick, he was taken in second round.

This would be my biggest concern.

By no means to I advocate simply handing the reins over to Geno. At the same time, if he shows enough to prove that he is competent, I would like to see him get significant playing this year as a starter.

I do not want to go into the draft next year still without any clue as to whether or not Geno can be a starter in this league, especially if we have a high draft choice in 2014.