Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Time for Jets to deal Mark, hand reins to Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    There's no market for Sanchez and the Jets desperately need Geno to EARN the job, not get it handed to him.

If Idzik had gotten a decent offer for Sanchez he'd be gone already.

All Pro
    You people are a little over the top. No where in the article does it say Geno should be the starter. It says Garrard should be the starter. It also says that if...I repeat if, Geno shows he can play, and if Garrard shows he is healthy, then they should trade Sanchez.

smith needs to sit for a season. no doubt about that. even if sanchez is still the starter it is doubtful if smith will be ready. he really will have his hands full learning the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    smith needs to sit for a season. no doubt about that. even if sanchez is still the starter it is doubtful if smith will be ready. he really will have his hands full learning the offense.
    What makes people like you actually believe you know this stuff like it's some kind of fact?!

BUTTFUMBLE needs to learn the offense JUST the same.
    And Geno is much smarter than Mark.
    He's gonna play as soon as he is ready, and that will probably be week 1.

What can he possible learn sitting on the bench watching Sanchez? How to turn ball over 2-3 times a game? Unless geno is totally not prepared he should start.. There are not much expectations for the jets in 13. Geno can come in with little pressure and not get hacked if he doesn't play good.. He can't possible do worse than Sanchez did last yr, and even if he did he's a rookie and obviously will make mistakes unlike mark who's in yr 5. If geno sits this yr, he's still going to be making the rookie mistakes he would have made this yr.. We can start to compete next yr, and geno may feel much more confident going into his 2nd yr starting.. Again make him earn it, but I don't think he's going to have a problem beating garrard out, and Sanchez ? Lol

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Never is going to happen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    There's no market for Sanchez and the Jets desperately need Geno to EARN the job, not get it handed to him.

The point is for Marty to make Sanchez look good in pre season. Then a team's QB goes down, and we get a 4th for him, and save some cash at the same time. That's what this article is about. The headline is completely misleading.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    That is why the jets are given sanchez an even chance to win the job...I just think that Garrard will probably win if gino is not healthy....can sanchez actually turn it around? Maybe but many people (myself included) don't think its going to happen...if itdoes happen and we are winning then great.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I honestly think this fanbase gets dumber by the minute (general comment, no one specific in mind)

The consensus #1 QB in the draft looked good against undrafted rookies? This is news? It would only be news if he DIDN'T look good. This writer even admits Sanchez can win games "somewhere, but not here". Well guess what, this team is NOTHING like it was last year -- deeper OL, superior OC, QB competition . . . either say Sanchez is done or give him a shot to succeed here, don't just throw him out the door without a thought! Let things play out and the best QB wins. If that's Geno, great. But there's no way I want to see Sanchez have ANY success somewhere else without knowing that we gave him every chance to do so here.

"But the fans will boo him out of the stadium" . . . yeah, that just brings me back to my original point . . .

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You people are a little over the top. No where in the article does it say Geno should be the starter. It says Garrard should be the starter. It also says that if...I repeat if, Geno shows he can play, and if Garrard shows he is healthy, then they should trade Sanchez.
    Really?

After Geno Smith's strong start, it's time for Jets to deal Mark Sanchez and hand reins to rookie
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets’ decision-makers are in love.

You can tell from talking to people around the team during this weekend’s rookie mini-camp that many in the organization are smitten with new quarterback Geno Smith. It’s beginning to look more and more like the starting job is his to lose. (more ...)
    How does that imply Garrard should start?

You can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is beyond stupid.

The logic behind making a 2nd round draft pick the starter, in May, is horrible. Furthermore, the Jets would be creating the same situation that Sanchez was under, Gerrard is good enough when healthy, but he last threw a pass during game 15 of the 2010 season.

Sanchez, despite what everything thinks, can be a decent enough "holdover" QB if needed. What the hell would the Jets do if Smith isn't ready and Garrard can't get healthy?

You are paying Sanchez, see how Sanchez does in mini camp and training camp. Do not anoint a 2nd round pick, with limited weapons as the starter before the preseason, that a disaster waiting to happen.
    5 posts in and nothing else needs adding to this...I don't even need to bother with the other 100 or whatever posts in here

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Really?

How does that imply Garrard should start?

You can't be serious.
    That my good friend is the headline...Wow Really? How many times do I need to say the reporter doesn't write the headlines? Shouldn't people know this by now?

This is not to say the competition is over and Mark Sanchez should start packing up his headbands. There is no doubt this is going to stretch into the summer.

Two days of rookie camp in shorts are not enough to judge someone on. But there is a sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing. So, if he can hit the side of the Atlantic Health Training Center with a pass and not commit any buttfumbles between now and September, the Jets will give him the starting nod.

Even if he does stumble, I think the Jets will go with veteran David Garrard to start the season and serve as Smith’s mentor until he is ready to take over the job like Kurt Warner did in 2004 for Eli Manning with the Giants.

Where does all of this leave Sanchez?

The best scenario for the Jets is: Smith shows he’s capable, Garrard proves he’s healthy and another team suffers an injury at quarterback during the preseason. Then, the Jets could trade Sanchez to the quarterback-needy team — after agreeing to eat about $6 million of the $8.75 million coming to him.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-14-2013 at 07:20 AM.

All League
    What is the $1.6 million east Rutherford eye sore?

Third paragraph from the end.

Did the author get his math wrong also?

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post

Xanadu

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Agree completely. If Smith wins the job over the summer, then he starts week 1. If not, let him sit behind Sanchez or Garrard.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    That is why the jets are given sanchez an even chance to win the job...I just think that Garrard will probably win if gino is not healthy....can sanchez actually turn it around? Maybe but many people (myself included) don't think its going to happen...if itdoes happen and we are winning then great.
    Seriously. Do you think people don't read the articles, or they just hear the sensationalist parts they want to get upset about? No where in that article (Except for the headline) does it say they're handing the starting job to Geno in May. At most it implies that they want him to win it. It may suggest that if it's close to even he will hold the tie breaker. That's as it should be. He makes it perfectly clear that this race is going to go through pre season. I think Garrard is going to win this thing running away myself. If it's a close race that would mean Sanchez looked good, and we may get some trade offers. That's all the guy says. If Garrard wins he will probably get nicked up, maybe a couple of times during the season, which would be a good scenario. Let Geno fill in a couple of times with no pressure. Hopefully he will take the job, and never surrender it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Xanadu
    Indeed an eyesore, but wasn't that more than $1.6m?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Two days of rookie camp in shorts are not enough to judge someone on.
    This is the only sentence you need to read. Renders the entire article pointless.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Xanadu
    He's talking about the stadium itself. 1.6 Billion.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That my good friend is the headline...Wow Really? How many times do I need to say the reporter doesn't write the headlines? Shouldn't people know this by now?
    I bolded the headline because it's the headline and a perfectly reasonable one, no matter who wrote it.

"After Geno Smith's strong start" doesn't imply immediately, but when the time comes between now and September.

This is not to say the competition is over and Mark Sanchez should start packing up his headbands. There is no doubt this is going to stretch into the summer.
    Translation: It's too early to judge and rule out any scenario. That doesn't say Garrard should start.

Two days of rookie camp in shorts are not enough to judge someone on. But there is a sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing. So, if he can hit the side of the Atlantic Health Training Center with a pass and not commit any buttfumbles between now and September, the Jets will give him the starting nod.
    Translation: The focus is on Geno to start barring any setbacks. Still says nothing about Garrard being the lead candidate for starter.

Even if he does stumble, I think the Jets will go with veteran David Garrard to start the season and serve as Smith’s mentor until he is ready to take over the job like Kurt Warner did in 2004 for Eli Manning with the Giants.

Where does all of this leave Sanchez?
    Translation: It's Costello's opinion that Sanchez won't serve a purpose even if destined starter Geno struggles. If Garrard is healthy he'll play before Sanchez. Doesn't mean the team is hopeful Garrard will start.

The best scenario for the Jets is: Smith shows he’s capable, Garrard proves he’s healthy and another team suffers an injury at quarterback during the preseason. Then, the Jets could trade Sanchez to the quarterback-needy team — after agreeing to eat about $6 million of the $8.75 million coming to him.
    Translation: If things work out for the best, Geno will start, Garrard will be the backup/mentor, and Sanchez will be useful elsewhere.

Again, nowhere does this article suggest the Jets are aiming/planning/hoping for Garrard to be the starter. You spun that one all by yourself.

It suggests Garrard will start only if Geno is delayed and will last until Geno is ready.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post

If you read the actual article Costello wrote $1.6 Billion.

The OP got it wrong.