Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: What can we get for Sanchez?

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant do that in the NFL.
    We paid a good portion of Faneca's salary when he went to the Cards..

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We paid a good portion of Faneca's salary when he went to the Cards..
    He was cut and was owed guaranteed money. If he was traded the Cardinals would have inherited his contract. Two entirely different situations.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    10,746
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we can get a few cases of these for him?


  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant do that in the NFL.
    I believe you can (detailed below), but I would defer to any of our resident cap management experts.

    1. Convert Salary for 2013 into a Roster Bonus (85%) and Salary (Vet Minimum + Small Amount).

    2. Pay out said Roster Bonus.

    3. Trade Sanchez, at a vastly reduced salary, to another team for Conditional pick.

    4. Jets must accept his full 8.75 million cap hit in 2013 (i.e. dead money).

    5. His new team would incur only his Vet Minimum+ salary cap hit for his tenure in 2013 there.

    6. Sanchez still gets every penny of his guaranteed money, thus avoiding any union complaints.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    what he is worth

    NOTHING

    better to just give him the boot in June and move on with the better replacements already on board

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I believe you can (detailed below), but I would defer to any of our resident cap management experts.

    1. Convert Salary for 2013 into a Roster Bonus (85%) and Salary (Vet Minimum + Small Amount).

    2. Pay out said Roster Bonus.

    3. Trade Sanchez, at a vastly reduced salary, to another team for Conditional pick.

    4. Jets must accept his full 8.75 million cap hit in 2013 (i.e. dead money).

    5. His new team would incur only his Vet Minimum+ salary cap hit for his tenure in 2013 there.

    6. Sanchez still gets every penny of his guaranteed money, thus avoiding any union complaints.
    I think your numbers are off a bit. If the Jets were to do that the rest of his bonus proration hits the cap this year and adds an additional 4.2 million to the cap. If all you are saving is the value of a vet min contract it is not worth it. His cap number would be in your scenario 17 million less the vet min salary.

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post
    Not that i agree or disagree with trading Sanchez and still paying most of his contract, i just havent seen any information on what anyone thinks his value is.

    Im assuming we would have to eat around 75% his salary, but what draft pick can we get in return and what should we be happy with?

    I think he will do fine as a back up or plug-in wherever he goes, and most teams around the league know that.

    So maybe a 5th rounder?
    So your assuming the same amount (roughly $6 million) that all the media outlets are assuming?

    Bottom line I doubt the Jets would eat $6 million of his salary for what would probably be 6th/7th round compensation. Couple that with the fact that if the Jets were to be offering to pay 75% of his salary they would just wait for him to be cut and sign him for a 1 yr vet minimum deal since he has guaranteed money from the Jets.

    No way in hell we pay him $6 mil to play for another team, assumptions make an.. well you know the rest.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant do that in the NFL.
    Why not? Isn't this exactly what Costello proposed in his NY Post article?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.

  9. #29
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could we trade Sanchez but still have the Jets pay his salary just to get rid of his cap hit? I could see some team going for that.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://overthecap.com/jets-financial...e-qb-position/

    Jason has a good write-up on the Sanchez Cap Issue, I defer completely to this excellent subject matter expert.

  11. #31
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe we can get Tebow?

  12. #32
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Tebow.
    +1.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    http://overthecap.com/jets-financial...e-qb-position/

    Jason has a good write-up on the Sanchez Cap Issue, I defer completely to this excellent subject matter expert.
    Its the same situation I described. The Jets still eat approx. 15 million in dead money in 2013. It doesnt offer any benefit other than Sanchez being gone. If the Jets really wanted to do that they should designate him a June 1 cut and then take the 12.8 mill hit this year and the 4.3 hit next year. Taking an additional 4.3 mil hit this year is not worth a conditional 7th round pick. You can get 3 serviceable vets for that amount.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,672
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Please, no. Without exaggeration, Lindley is the worst QB I've ever seen play in the NFL.
    LOL. That Arizona game was the worst QB'd game I have ever seen.

    I think this thread would be better served in the Hampur.

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. That Arizona game was the worst QB'd game I have ever seen.

    I think this thread would be better served in the Hampur.
    That's exactly correct. I mean, the friggin' guy is over-throwing balls 10-15 yards into the stands. I was sitting in front of my TV totally incredulous. LMFAO!

    On one play, he overthrows Fitzgerald, who was wide open on a key third down by 10 yards. Fitzgerald turns around with a "WTF" expression. It was comical.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    That's exactly correct. I mean, the friggin' guy is over-throwing balls 10-15 yards into the stands. I was sitting in front of my TV totally incredulous. LMFAO!

    On one play, he overthrows Fitzgerald, who was wide open on a key third down by 10 yards. Fitzgerald turns around with a "WTF" expression. It was comical.
    Leave it to my buddies and I to make that the one game we were able to attend all year.

  17. #37
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets should be able to pawn him off on the Raiders. Pay his whole salary and trade him to the Raiders for their #1 pick in 2015. Look what thy paid for Carson Palmer. Sanchez is a SoCal guy.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Jets should be able to pawn him off on the Raiders. Pay his whole salary and trade him to the Raiders for their #1 pick in 2015. Look what thy paid for Carson Palmer. Sanchez is a SoCal guy.
    Would be worth it to hear Raider 90210 to defend the deal.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Would be worth it to hear Raider 90210 to defend the deal.
    I'm not going to change my position on this. I supported the trade than and still would make that trade today if the circumstances were the same. You can win a championship with Carson Palmer. (fact) He will do wonders for Arizona as there is still a lot of quality football left in that arm. ( he will show what I know to be the case and larry Fitzgerald will be one happy WR.)

    Raiders just brought in a new GM and he elected to blow up the whole roster. (after radical changing the offense that wasn't the problem) So I don't have any anger toward C Palmer. He knows his time is now and he can't wait a couple years for the raiders to rebuild. Time isn't on his side.

    So yes looking back on that trade it looks like one of the worse trades now (will always look that way) but it didn't have to be that way. IF Hue Jackson was retained there is no doubt C Palmer numbers would have been even better than last year numbers. ( another year in the same offense) That trade might have looked a lot different . Hue jackson wasn't retained and all I can say it turned out to be a bad trade.( I can't even paint a rosy picture there)

    Maybe the Raiders luck out with Tyler Wilson selection and this could take away some of the sting of that trade and what went down. Will another Wilson destroy M flynn dream to QB a team.( still a long way to go for that to happen)

    BTW Jets defense will have to face a bigger version of Dmac # 34 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKF_DIoCYAAU29F.jpg:large http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=RB versus Dmac http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2008&genpos=rb
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-13-2013 at 10:59 PM.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    not sure if we could get krispey kreme. might have to settle for dunkin
    no doubt unless they're a week old and didn't sell at a school event.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us