Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriots release fourth-year DT Brandon Deaderick.

Patriots release fourth-year DT Brandon Deaderick.

@MikeReiss: Surprising roster move of sorts for Patriots, who release fourth-year DT Brandon Deaderick. Split snaps as starter next to Wilfork in '12.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @MikeReiss: Surprising roster move of sorts for Patriots, who release fourth-year DT Brandon Deaderick. Split snaps as starter next to Wilfork in '12.
    Grab him then.

Re-Grading the 2010 Patriots Draft Picks: Brandon Deaderick

NEPD Staff Writer: Dan Hope

With just two installments in NEPD’s 2010 draft re-grades, we skip ahead to seventh-round pick (No. 247 overall) Brandon Deaderick, their final draft selection in that draft class who spent a significant stint of time on their roster during the regular season.

One of the Patriots’ biggest needs going into the 2013 NFL draft is for a pass-rushing defensive tackle who can line up next to Vince Wilfork inside, and part of the reason for that is that Brandon Deaderick has not established as a quality long-term starting option inside. But considering the Patriots drafted Deaderick with a compensatory seventh-round selection, they should be very happy with what they’ve gotten out of him.

While Deaderick is not able to generate much pressure as an interior penetrator, he is a strong interior lineman who is a solid run-stopping defensive tackle. Upon his insertion into the starting lineup in the 2012, he was at least a definite upgrade over Kyle Love.

Starting as a defensive end in the Patriots’ 3-4 defense in 2010, and becoming a defensive tackle with their conversion to a 4-3 base defense, Deaderick has remained a steady part of the Patriots’ rotation in all three of his NFL seasons. He has played in 34 regular-season games over three seasons, and has 14 combined starts.

Whether the Patriots will keep Deaderick after his contract runs out after next season is uncertain, but he would be worth keeping as a rotational player. He is a good player against the run, can kick outside to defensive end in a pinch and provides solid, reliable depth.

What Deaderick is not is a starting-caliber, three-down defensive tackle. That said, the Patriots would have truly gotten a steal if Deaderick turned into that. Considering the small investment they put into Deaderick, the return value has been far greater.

Deaderick has been more productive than some of the defensive linemen selected ahead of him, and would likely grade out as a fourth-round pick in a 2010 re-draft.

Grade: A-

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/...deaderick.html

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Re-Grading the 2010 Patriots Draft Picks: Brandon Deaderick

Grade: A-
    Lol - rubber stamps are hard to change . . .

This is just Belichick being a genius.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Their list starts pretty good.

2013 NFL Draft: Top 100 Prospects
    At NEPatriotsDraft.com, we take great pride in our Big Board and eventual Top 100 prospects list. We finished 2nd overall in the Huddle Report Top 100 challenge in 2011, finishing 1st among all internet sites, following it up with a 5th place finish in 2012.

TOP 2013 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

Updated April 23rd, 2013 (FINAL)

1. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (SCOUTING REPORT)
    2. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M (SCOUTING REPORT)
    3. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan (SCOUTING REPORT)
    4. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah (SCOUTING REPORT)
    5. Chance Warmack, OL, Alabama (SCOUTING REPORT)
    6. Shariff Floyd, DL, FLorida (SCOUTING REPORT)
    7. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU (SCOUTING REPORT)
    8. Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon (SCOUTING REPORT)
    9. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (SCOUTING REPORT)
    10. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (SCOUTING REPORT)
    11. Bjoern Woerner, DE, Florida State (SCOUTING REPORT)
    12. Jon Cooper, OL, North Carolina (SCOUTING REPORT)
    13. Kenny Vaccaro, CB/S, Texas (SCOUTING REPORT)
    14. Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri (SCOUTING REPORT)
    15. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA (SCOUTING REPORT)

Veteran
    can he play NT? sign this beast.

It was a good pick for the end of the seventh round, you don't have to get an all pro for it to be a quality pick that late.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Deadrick was a decent rotational guy. Not a world beater but not a liability. I'm surprised they cut him, but also a guy that you'd look to upgrade from.

Basically, a JAG. Gotta have some of those on your squad, but no big loss.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    It was a good pick for the end of the seventh round, you don't have to get an all pro for it to be a quality pick that late.
    Understood of course - my point was more about how every move the Pats makes basically gets an A from someone.

The Pats have a 7th rounder start a bunch of games and its a steal. We have any low rounder start a bunch of games and it's because: a) we can't draft, b) no one wants to play here + they are inevitably a 'JAG' and there was some guy drafted a few slots before them who's a steal for another team. . .

Seems like a Devito type player, which we may need if Kenrick Ellis can't handle a full-time gig. Someone to put in on 1st/2nd downs purely to stop the run.

But he probably wants starter money and won't get it here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Seems like a Devito type player, which we may need if Kenrick Ellis can't handle a full-time gig. Someone to put in on 1st/2nd downs purely to stop the run.

But he probably wants starter money and won't get it here.
    A poor mans Mike Devito. That's about right.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

At NEPatriotsDraft.com, we take great pride in our Big Board and eventual Top 100 prospects list. We finished 2nd overall in the Huddle Report Top 100 challenge in 2011, finishing 1st among all internet sites, following it up with a 5th place finish in 2012.

They must have cried when the Jets took 3 of the top 14 on the list.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Wonder how they evaluated those picks once the Jets selected them? Did you see what grade they gave the Jets for their draft?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    They must have cried when the Jets took 3 of the top 14 on the list.
    Gotta love this...especially coming from a Pats draft site!

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Deadrick was a decent rotational guy. Not a world beater but not a liability. I'm surprised they cut him, but also a guy that you'd look to upgrade from.

Basically, a JAG. Gotta have some of those on your squad, but no big loss.
    Spot on, IMO.

I can't stand this term "a Jag" he is not a Jag. Jags do not start games and perform well at times. My definition of a jag is one of those guys that don't get activated at game day. It is like the league is made up of stars and jags, it is not Average NFL players who see action every game are not jags. His results were spotty, but the guy started games in the NFL. I am very surprised by this cut. I know it is BB's way of "rewarding" a player who he does not think will make the team by giving him a better shot at getting a gig somewhere else.

I rather hold on to the guy rather than trust in Armstead and Forston's development and that no injuries appear in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I can't stand this term "a Jag" he is not a Jag. Jags do not start games and perform well at times. My definition of a jag is one of those guys that don't get activated at game day. It is like the league is made up of stars and jags, it is not Average NFL players who see action every game are not jags. His results were spotty, but the guy started games in the NFL. I am very surprised by this cut. I know it is BB's way of "rewarding" a player who he does not think will make the team by giving him a better shot at getting a gig somewhere else.

I rather hold on to the guy rather than trust in Armstead and Forston's development and that no injuries appear in camp.
    In the recent 30 for 30 special, Ron Meyer called Tony Eason a "JAG". That is the correct use of the term, IMO. Like most teams, the Patriots have stars (e.g. Brady), guys who are good but not stars (e.g. Spikes), JAGs (I'll use Gregory as an example now that Deaderick is gone); scrubs (e.g. Rivera); and developmental players (e.g. Bequette).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

JAG stands for Just Another Guy. That's exactly what Deadrick was - just another guy.

That's not meant as a put down, but that's what he - and many others in this league - are. They aren't playmakers, but they aren't complete scrubs. Deadrick was a nice enough player, but are you really upset he's gone? Probably not - you're mildly surprised but in two days, or when camp starts, you won't have your head on a swivel looking for #74 (or is that Kyle Love....another JAG?)

Every team has them...perhaps its a simple matter of definitions. What would you like to call average players like Deadrick?

Guys started 15 games, played in 34 in 3 seasons and had 5 sacks as a 7th round pick. What grade do you think a 7th round pick who contribute in all of his his first 3 seasons?