Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about Jeff Garcia as Jets Quarterback

How about Jeff Garcia as Jets Quarterback

Jeff Garcia would be the perfect player to assume the veteran mentor role that has been vacated by David Garrard. He has great knowledge and has had success in Marty Morhninweg's offense. He also spent the majority of the off-season working with Mark Sanchez. Garcia would be the clear #3 QB who serve as a player/coach on the roster.

The only other QB's who have direct knowledge of Marty's offense are Vince Young, Trent Edwards and Donovan McNabb. Donovan is retiring, Edwards is a clipboard holder and Young might actually win QB competition.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Jeff Garcia would be the perfect player to assume the veteran mentor role that has been vacated by David Garrard. He has great knowledge and has had success in Marty Morhninweg's offense. He also spent the majority of the off-season working with Mark Sanchez. Garcia would be the clear #3 QB who serve as a player/coach on the roster.

The only other QB's who have direct knowledge of Marty's offense are Vince Young, Trent Edwards and Donovan McNabb. Donovan is retiring, Edwards is a clipboard holder and Young might actually win QB competition.
    bringing in mcnabb as an assistant or advisor to help smith seems too logical to me.

Why do we need a "Veteran Mentor"?

Sanchez is a four year NFL starter and two time playoff/AFCCG QB. He IS a veteran himself.

Geno Smith is Sanchez's competition for the #1 job. If Smith wins it, Sanchez should be expected to "mentor" Smith. Failure to do so simply adds to Sanchez poor reputation.

More importantly, the real mentor should be our O-Co Morning Wig.

What we need is a third legitimate possible starter for the QB competition and for the future (2014 and beyond). Jeff Garcia is probably not that guy (neither was Gerrard, honestly). Neither is McEljoke.

Who is the right choice? No idea, but I'd prefer a castoff younger (under 30) QB who has long-term potential upside as an aquisition. A 40 something like Garcia really serves no purpose to this team where it is today.

Why not bring in another of his students, besides Mark, our chubby friend, J. Russell?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

Sanchez is a four year NFL starter and two time playoff/AFCCG QB. He IS a veteran himself.

Geno Smith is Sanchez's competition for the #1 job. If Smith wins it, Sanchez should be expected to "mentor" Smith. Failure to do so simply adds to Sanchez poor reputation.

What we need is a third legitimate possible starter for the QB competition and for the future (2014 and beyond). Jeff Garcia is probably not that guy (neither was Gerrard, honestly). Neither is McEljoke.

Who is the right choice? No idea, but I'd prefer a castoff younger (under 30) QB who has long-term potential upside as an aquisition. A 40 something like Garcia really serves no purpose to this team where it is today.
    I agree 100%. The role of the "mentor" is vastly overrated. Like you said the coaches should be doing the teaching and mentoring. What this team needed was a guy like Drew Stanton who WAS on this roster for a brief moment last year. At least there you had a guy who could actually provide some competition to the QB position and maybe end up being your long term back up if and when Sanchez leaves.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

you do realize that Jeff Garcia is 43 years old?

Hall Of Fame
    How about we let Geno Smith sink or swim. In the beginning keep the offense simple and run stuff he is comfortable with. Add a little more every week. Its not rocket science. We have watched many teams groom rookie QBs in recent years. Just b.c our last one failed doesn't mean this one will. But we have to find out. Delaying a year helps nobody.

If there were legitimate Plan B backups like Stanton available then I might feel differently. But the situation is what it is. Lets roll with Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    We don't know if we have a 1, mickey mouse has been our 2 why be concerned now?

Has anybody called favre yet?

All League
    vinny knows the area better and would take vet min

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    McNabb

All Pro
    How about Vinny Testaverde's niece?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    McNabb
    I think he just filed his retirement papers this week.

Would be awesome if we signed Garcia after a full off-season of him being paid by Sanchez to coach Sanchez, and then he steals the starter job from Sanchez.

That said.

No.

That dude is irrelevant now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think he just filed his retirement papers this week.
    They were intercepted.

Might as well bring in Joe Namath or Warren Moon while we're at it

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

Seriously?

Why would we want a head case to mentor our young QB?

All Pro
    David Garrard said on Sirius that Jets have offered him opportunity to work with the team this summer in some capacity (non playing) #nyj

Mentor role covered if he takes it

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    you do realize that Jeff Garcia is 43 years old?
    Subtract his wife's hotness factor and he's 36! Sign those breasts!

No more old men, I did have hope for Garrard but reality struck yesterday and its time to make the investment in a younger player. One who can hold the fort and maybe even steal the long term starting job from Geno. If nothing else allow him to show off his talents to draw interest from other teams in a year or two, to continue his career. Someone like Foles or another who is familiar with MM and his system and still young enough to challenge all comers on the roster. It will cost us a third or fourth rounder next year, so lets make it a worth while trade that can really help us this year
    Last edited by fltflo; 05-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.