Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aurgument for keeping Sanchez

Veteran

The Aurgument for keeping Sanchez

Skeptical, I was one of the bigger critics of Mark Sanchez knowing that Rex Ryan's defense made him appear better than the hard numbers would indicate.

Now a Greek chorus sings to run him out of town, much like Pennington, years earlier. I get the reason why, more snaps for Geno, a fresh start for the franchise putting the mistakes of the FO far behind us in the read view mirror.

Given that the Jets are in red for so much cash with Sanchez, I argue that it is better to keep him through the upcoming football season. Most of what he is owed is guaranteed and I believe that the competition will bring the best out of him and the best out of Geno Smith. In addition Geno Smith did not play in a pro-style offense, I am guessing part of the year on the bench might benefit him. Do I expect Sanchez to suddenly become a 70% passer ? No but with a legitimate offensive coordinator, healthy receivers and a better oline play we can evaluate Sanchez without excuses.

Getting rid of Sanchez means our choices are a fragile older experienced qb, a rookie who has only ever played in a spread offense, Grey McElroy and Matt Simms. Do we really consider this legitimate rooster depth going into the season ? I like McElroy's moxy and character but I don't think McElroy or Simms should be on an NFL roster.

Sanchez was doomed the millisecond Tony Sparano was hired ... let's play out training camp and let's see what a real qb competition for the first time in years can produce for the NY Jets.

If Garrard stays healthy, my money is him to win the training camp battle at least for the short term ... however, it will be fun watching how this unfolds. ...

Dump or merge.

Either way is fine.

The best argument for keeping Sanchez:
    "He makes Geno, and every other QB on the roster, look better by comparison."

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Here are the reasons why the Jets could keep Sanchez around:

1) they're on the hook for his salary
    2) he has no/minimal trade value
    3) for the first time in his NFL career, the Jets have a proven OC running the show
    4) cutting him after June 1st would add $4.8 to the Jets cap hit in 2014
    5) there's no harm in letting him battle it out in camp - if he's the Sanchez of 2012, bench him or even cut him if you think he's going to be a deterrent.. but if something clicks, and he's legitimately the best QB in camp, he might actually be worth something in a trade

Jets Insider VIP
    No reason.

Out the door in June

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    If they had a crystal ball, well then........it's a crap shoot, better to get it done now, get the new kid in, churn and burn it's the Idzik way.

For all the hate, I don't think anyone here disputes that Mark has the tools and the desire. His head needs fixin'. He has a jump on Garrard and Smith in terms of learning the offense and training with Garcia. He also tends to look good in camp. And I still maintain the Jets spent 4 years trying to train his natural instincts out of him.

And as the OP says our #3 rated Oline (last year per PFF) has gotten even better and we should have a solid running game

So if Sanchez got his head straight this off season, and MM plays to his strengths, I think he'll start this year and do well. It's a big "if" but very possible. 50% of JI said he would start in the poll a few weeks back.

I think the biggest thing that could get in the way at this point is FO fear of him getting booed by the ignorant part of the fan base, who can't see that real fans support their team and realize that the coaches see and know a lot more than the fans do.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The best argument for keeping Sanchez:
    "He makes Geno, and every other QB on the roster, look better by comparison."
    You hope thats true

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    No reason.

Out the door in June
    Why wait? Can't you cut someone today with a June 1st designation for Cap purposes? If Sanchez is brought in to camp then I think they plan to keep him in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

3) for the first time in his NFL career, the Jets have a proven OC running the show
    5) there's no harm in letting him battle it out in camp - if he's the Sanchez of 2012, bench him or even cut him if you think he's going to be a deterrent.. but if something clicks, and he's legitimately the best QB in camp, he might actually be worth something in a trade
    Agreed on all points and since our new GM seems to value his resources and does not make knee jerk emotional decisions and is also the one in charge, not the coach this is the way we will probably go.

Disagree with every one of those reasons. At the end of the day you have to do what is in the best long term interests of the team and that is unquestionably trading him or cutting him. The additional salary cap hit is inconsequential. To me all the above reasons are just rationalizations for not making the tough and correct call and kicking him to the curb. There is also ZERO reason to think anything will suddenly click. He is a sub-JAG QB nothing more and has proven that over the last 4 years. He is what we know he is.

This is the auto-reply for the next "Why haven't the Jets cut Sanchez yet" thread. Which we should see in another day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    No reason.

Out the door in June
    Sure there is a reason.

Say Geno shows in TC/Preseason that he is not ready to start (too many bad decisions cant read defenses etc) and we decide to start 2 rookie Guards (its possible). Then your QBs are an injury prone Garrard who hasnt played in 2 years, Geno, and McElroy whose arm strength makes Chad Pennington's arm like like a cannon. Lets also say we have groing pains with 2 rookies at guard, the O-Line taking time to gel, mediocre receiving corps with lots of young WR and no TE, and we start out 0-4 or 1-3.

Who would you rather throw to the wolves, Mark Sanchez who is not in your future and untradeable anyways or a rookie QB who already had his confidence shaken when he dropped to the 2nd round and risk losing the kid in the long run?

Id rather sacrifice Sanchez in a rebuilding year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Disagree with every one of those reasons. At the end of the day you have to do what is in the best long term interests of the team and that is unquestionably trading him or cutting him. The additional salary cap hit is inconsequential. To me all the above reasons are just rationalizations for not making the tough and correct call and kicking him to the curb. There is also ZERO reason to think anything will suddenly click. He is a sub-JAG QB nothing more and has proven that over the last 4 years. He is what we know he is.

i simply listed the reasons for keeping him around. whether or not you happen to agree, they're valid.

Sanchez has the tools and finally a proven NFL OC. Bounce back year for Sanchez. Look at Rich Gannon when he got with John Gruden- MVP

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Why is "unquestionably trading him or cutting him" in the best interest of the team? Is Sanchez all of a sudden a distraction? Is he going to bring the team down somehow if he's on the roster but not playing?

Just trying to understand the push for getting him out of here, if the hit to the team is basically the same whether he stays or goes. He's not going to take snaps away from anyone whom he isn't outplaying in camp, so how does releasing him benefit the team?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Skeptical, I was one of the bigger critics of Mark Sanchez knowing that Rex Ryan's defense made him appear better than the hard numbers would indicate.

Now a Greek chorus sings to run him out of town, much like Pennington, years earlier. I get the reason why, more snaps for Geno, a fresh start for the franchise putting the mistakes of the FO far behind us in the read view mirror.

Given that the Jets are in red for so much cash with Sanchez, I argue that it is better to keep him through the upcoming football season. Most of what he is owed is guaranteed and I believe that the competition will bring the best out of him and the best out of Geno Smith. In addition Geno Smith did not play in a pro-style offense, I am guessing part of the year on the bench might benefit him. Do I expect Sanchez to suddenly become a 70% passer ? No but with a legitimate offensive coordinator, healthy receivers and a better oline play we can evaluate Sanchez without excuses.

Getting rid of Sanchez means our choices are a fragile older experienced qb, a rookie who has only ever played in a spread offense, Grey McElroy and Matt Simms. Do we really consider this legitimate rooster depth going into the season ? I like McElroy's moxy and character but I don't think McElroy or Simms should be on an NFL roster.

Sanchez was doomed the millisecond Tony Sparano was hired ... let's play out training camp and let's see what a real qb competition for the first time in years can produce for the NY Jets.

If Garrard stays healthy, my money is him to win the training camp battle at least for the short term ... however, it will be fun watching how this unfolds. ...
    Nice of you to put such effort into this rational, salient post. Too bad it's wasted on some of the more histrionical posters here, as their responses show.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    For all the hate, I don't think anyone here disputes that Mark has the tools and the desire. H.

Very many WOULD dispute he has the tools because he clearly does not. Sanchez does not have the ability to throw touch passes and screens. He is actually laughably bad at them. He does not have the ability to read defenses. It is just not an innate ability for him and he will never learn it. The reality is that he was incredibly overrated coming out of college and has never ever demonstrated the skills of even an above average QB.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Why is "unquestionably trading him or cutting him" in the best interest of the team? Is Sanchez all of a sudden a distraction? Is he going to bring the team down somehow if he's on the roster but not playing?

Just trying to understand the push for getting him out of here, if the hit to the team is basically the same whether he stays or goes. He's not going to take snaps away from anyone whom he isn't outplaying in camp, so how does releasing him benefit the team?
    He's been a distraction and a terrible performer at the tail end of the last 2 seasons both of which were terrible. There is no logical reason to expect anything different this year. He is a cancer to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Sanchez has the tools and finally a proven NFL OC. Bounce back year for Sanchez. Look at Rich Gannon when he got with John Gruden- MVP