Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Aurgument for keeping Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Here are the reasons why the Jets could keep Sanchez around:

1) they're on the hook for his salary
    2) he has no/minimal trade value
    3) for the first time in his NFL career, the Jets have a proven OC running the show
    4) cutting him after June 1st would add $4.8 to the Jets cap hit in 2014
    5) there's no harm in letting him battle it out in camp - if he's the Sanchez of 2012, bench him or even cut him if you think he's going to be a deterrent.. but if something clicks, and he's legitimately the best QB in camp, he might actually be worth something in a trade
    I am not a fan of Sanchez, do not think he's a legit NFL #1 QB, do think he will fail if he wins the #1 job, and do (eventually) want him gone from my team.

But this quoted post is quite right. The only "gain" is a removal of bad vibes/pressure from Gino Smith.

And I don't WANT to remove pressure/difficulty/bad vibes from Smith. I want Smith to overcome them, to defeat them, and to win the job DESPITE Sanchez still being on the team, to win over the team and locker room DESPITE Sanchez still being on the team. Thats winning the job.

It's not winning a job if you don't actualy beat out anyone or overcome any real challenges.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    He's been a distraction and a terrible performer at the tail end of the last 2 seasons both of which were terrible. There is no logical reason to expect anything different this year. He is a cancer to this team.
    no arguments about Sanchez's past. however, that's not what this conversation is about.

the jets have nothing to lose by seeing if Mornhinweg can do for him what he did for Vick, Garcia, Kolb and Foles. i dont think anyone is saying that they expect Mark to turn it around, but what if he does? it's not as if there's never been a QB who suddenly 'got it' once they worked with a legitimate coach. And if he doesnt? Bench or cut him at the end of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Skeptical, I was one of the bigger critics of Mark Sanchez knowing that Rex Ryan's defense made him appear better than the hard numbers would indicate.

Now a Greek chorus sings to run him out of town, much like Pennington, years earlier. I get the reason why, more snaps for Geno, a fresh start for the franchise putting the mistakes of the FO far behind us in the read view mirror.

Given that the Jets are in red for so much cash with Sanchez, I argue that it is better to keep him through the upcoming football season. Most of what he is owed is guaranteed and I believe that the competition will bring the best out of him and the best out of Geno Smith. In addition Geno Smith did not play in a pro-style offense, I am guessing part of the year on the bench might benefit him. Do I expect Sanchez to suddenly become a 70% passer ? No but with a legitimate offensive coordinator, healthy receivers and a better oline play we can evaluate Sanchez without excuses.

Getting rid of Sanchez means our choices are a fragile older experienced qb, a rookie who has only ever played in a spread offense, Grey McElroy and Matt Simms. Do we really consider this legitimate rooster depth going into the season ? I like McElroy's moxy and character but I don't think McElroy or Simms should be on an NFL roster.

Sanchez was doomed the millisecond Tony Sparano was hired ... let's play out training camp and let's see what a real qb competition for the first time in years can produce for the NY Jets.

If Garrard stays healthy, my money is him to win the training camp battle at least for the short term ... however, it will be fun watching how this unfolds. ...

LOL, way to sell the point "why to keep Sanchez" with the closing statement, by endorsing Garrard.

I feel like the fanbase is once again caught up in the ebb and flow of popular things to say.

Clichés.

We got Sanchez, and it was "start him, the Colts started Manning right away!!! "

He failed, we get Geno and it's "QBs need to sit for a year to be groomed like Kaperdink, et al".

I'm more of a fan of "the best players should play" myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Emotionally I want Sanchez gone because of his performance last year. He doesn't deserve another chance; however, logically it makes sense to keep him on the roster and let the competition for QB play out. Let the coaches be objective and play the best QB.

no arguments about Sanchez's past. however, that's not what this conversation is about.

the jets have nothing to lose by seeing if Mornhinweg can do for him what he did for Vick, Garcia, Kolb and Foles. i dont think anyone is saying that they expect Mark to turn it around, but what if he does? it's not as if there's never been a QB who suddenly 'got it' once they worked with a legitimate coach. And if he doesnt? Bench or cut him at the end of camp.
    Actually, I am saying I expect him to turn it around. He will be better this year. Now whether "better" is good enough is another question.

Rookie
    Disagree with every one of those reasons. At the end of the day you have to do what is in the best long term interests of the team and that is unquestionably trading him or cutting him. The additional salary cap hit is inconsequential. To me all the above reasons are just rationalizations for not making the tough and correct call and kicking him to the curb. There is also ZERO reason to think anything will suddenly click. He is a sub-JAG QB nothing more and has proven that over the last 4 years. He is what we know he is.
    I'm sorry but I don't see how going into this season with Geno ( rookie qb), McElroy (played 2 games and got his brain scrambled), Simms (never taken nfl snap), and Garrard (hasn't played in 2+ years) is "what's best for the team". And I'm not sure why you think Sanchez was a distraction last year.

Disagree with every one of those reasons. At the end of the day you have to do what is in the best long term interests of the team and that is unquestionably trading him or cutting him. The additional salary cap hit is inconsequential. To me all the above reasons are just rationalizations for not making the tough and correct call and kicking him to the curb. There is also ZERO reason to think anything will suddenly click. He is a sub-JAG QB nothing more and has proven that over the last 4 years. He is what we know he is.
    Totally emotional based decision. We all know he sucks, we all know he is not the answer but there is no real downside to keeping him this year other than "Gee I hate Sanchez get rid of him."

The days of coddling and pandering to rookie QB's is over so it should be an open competition for the spot. Sanchez is a goner regardless so if he plays some decent ball this year then he becomes an asset next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I am not a fan of Sanchez, do not think he's a legit NFL #1 QB, do think he will fail if he wins the #1 job, and do (eventually) want him gone from my team.

But this quoted post is quite right. The only "gain" is a removal of bad vibes/pressure from Gino Smith.

And I don't WANT to remove pressure/difficulty/bad vibes from Smith. I want Smith to overcome them, to defeat them, and to win the job DESPITE Sanchez still being on the team, to win over the team and locker room DESPITE Sanchez still being on the team. Thats winning the job.

It's not winning a job if you don't actualy beat out anyone or overcome any real challenges.
    I tend to agree, IF Sanchez is cut or traded prior to camp, it kind of goes against the whole mantra of creating competition. People will just say the job was handed to Smith and its business as usual with another rookie QB. At least with Sanchez there, there is a perceived competition and the Jets can say, "see, Geno won a tough QB battle and earned his job".

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    I feel like the fanbase is once again caught up in the ebb and flow of popular things to say.

Clichés.

We got Sanchez, and it was "start him, the Colts started Manning right away!!! "

He failed, we get Geno and it's "QBs need to sit for a year to be groomed like Kaperdink, et al".

I agree, there is some degree of bi-polar going on with some people. BUT, we have to remember how much money Sanchez was given based on being drafted where he was. Were the Jets really going to sit Sanchez for Kellen Clemmens that year? QBs drafted that high and paid that amount of money were going to play barring some disasters in training camp, and we didnt have that with Sanchez.

All League
    Here are the reasons why the Jets could keep Sanchez around:

1) they're on the hook for his salary
    2) he has no/minimal trade value
    3) for the first time in his NFL career, the Jets have a proven OC running the show
    4) cutting him after June 1st would add $4.8 to the Jets cap hit in 2014
    5) there's no harm in letting him battle it out in camp - if he's the Sanchez of 2012, bench him or even cut him if you think he's going to be a deterrent.. but if something clicks, and he's legitimately the best QB in camp, he might actually be worth something in a trade
    All of This.

They should keep Sanchez because they shouldn't make the same mistake with this Geno kid that they did with Sanchez. Give the kid a chance to watch and learn the pro style game for a year... don't just throw him to the wolves and let his head get messed up like Sanchez was.

Sanchez had a shot to be a good quarterback, if they brought him along slowly and showed patience, but they didn't, and now we see the results of it. Don't make the same mistake with Smith or any other QB we draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    They should keep Sanchez because they shouldn't make the same mistake with this Geno kid that they did with Sanchez. Give the kid a chance to watch and learn the pro style game for a year... don't just throw him to the wolves and let his head get messed up like Sanchez was.

Sanchez had a shot to be a good quarterback, if they brought him along slowly and showed patience, but they didn't, and now we see the results of it. Don't make the same mistake with Smith or any other QB we draft.
    Sanchez wasnt ruined in his rookie year. Explain exactly what ruined him during his rookie year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Sure there is a reason.

Say Geno shows in TC/Preseason that he is not ready to start (too many bad decisions cant read defenses etc) and we decide to start 2 rookie Guards (its possible). Then your QBs are an injury prone Garrard who hasnt played in 2 years, Geno, and McElroy whose arm strength makes Chad Pennington's arm like like a cannon. Lets also say we have groing pains with 2 rookies at guard, the O-Line taking time to gel, mediocre receiving corps with lots of young WR and no TE, and we start out 0-4 or 1-3.

Who would you rather throw to the wolves, Mark Sanchez who is not in your future and untradeable anyways or a rookie QB who already had his confidence shaken when he dropped to the 2nd round and risk losing the kid in the long run?

Id rather sacrifice Sanchez in a rebuilding year.
    Succinctly and well said .. the rush to start Geno may be very short-sighted.

Veteran
    LOL, way to sell the point "why to keep Sanchez" with the closing statement, by endorsing Garrard.
    Keeping Sanchez is not because I think he will win the training camp battle, I don't. I hope he proves me wrong but irrespective, I expect it to be a close call across the board between Garrard Sanchez and Smith. Ultimately my point is we have already paid for Sanchez, the best value from a Jets perspective at this point maybe to have him provide competition in camp and play a role as second or third string quarterback for the upcoming season.

Clichés.

I think it's more, "Sanchez was awful as a rookie and I don't want to go through that again."

If anything, the popular trend last year was playing rookie QBs.

Luck
    RGIII
    Wilson

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Emotionally I want Sanchez gone because of his performance last year. He doesn't deserve another chance; however, logically it makes sense to keep him on the roster and let the competition for QB play out. Let the coaches be objective and play the best QB.
    Agreed, we hate Sanchez's play last year, it was beyond embarrassing but to rid ourselves of him to help erase that memory is not rational and not a smart plan going forward - let the players play and may the best man win.

Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    I think it's more, "Sanchez was awful as a rookie and I don't want to go through that again."

If anything, the popular trend last year was playing rookie QBs.

Luck
    RGIII
    Wilson
    Forgot to add Tannehill and Weeden. It would take a ton for someone to convince me that Geno is less prepared to start in the NFL than all 5 of those guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The best argument for keeping Sanchez:
    "He makes Geno, and every other QB on the roster, look better by comparison."
    ROTFLMAO. I just feel that if Mark loses the job he will sulk like he does when he throws an interception! With a young QB on the team, it could be detrimental. Trade Sanchez if he loses the QB competition.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I tend to agree, IF Sanchez is cut or traded prior to camp, it kind of goes against the whole mantra of creating competition. People will just say the job was handed to Smith and its business as usual with another rookie QB. At least with Sanchez there, there is a perceived competition and the Jets can say, "see, Geno won a tough QB battle and earned his job".
    Funny how a few months changes things. Beating Sanchez out is now winning a tough QB battle? This is the same guy who was benched for 7th rounder/no-talent McElroy last season. The same guy who was laughed off Sunday Night and Monday Night Football within a 3 week span by the commentators. Nobody would have said beating Sanchez out for a job was even a remote accomplishment at the end of last season. Now suddenly he is this "grizzled vet" that is going to prove Geno earned a starting job?