Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: The Aurgument for keeping Sanchez

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Keeping Sanchez is not because I think he will win the training camp battle, I don't. I hope he proves me wrong but irrespective, I expect it to be a close call across the board between Garrard Sanchez and Smith. Ultimately my point is we have already paid for Sanchez, the best value from a Jets perspective at this point maybe to have him provide competition in camp and play a role as second or third string quarterback for the upcoming season.
    Huh? 8.2 million for a clipboard holder who sulks!

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a question for all those saying "He has the tools."

    What are they?

    His arm strength is average to below. He struggles on deep routes.

    He can't make more than one read per play.

    He isn't fast enough to run the ball.

    He's not that big and has trouble seeing over the line at times due to that.

    He pouts and is not a leader at all.

  3. #43
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Huh? 8.2 million for a clipboard holder who sulks!
    I think, and you likely know it, that this is nonsense. The money is guaranteed, if he holds someone else's clipboard or our own, we are paying for it. Secondly on the sulking issue, that has not been mentioned since his rookie year - a characteristic that has been most recently attributed to Geno Smith.

    I am no Sanchez fan but I tend to stick with the facts, one of them being we need a backup qbs and we have paid for one already irrespective of whether he is on the team or not.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Disagree with every one of those reasons. At the end of the day you have to do what is in the best long term interests of the team and that is unquestionably trading him or cutting him. The additional salary cap hit is inconsequential. To me all the above reasons are just rationalizations for not making the tough and correct call and kicking him to the curb. There is also ZERO reason to think anything will suddenly click. He is a sub-JAG QB nothing more and has proven that over the last 4 years. He is what we know he is.
    Drew Brees suddenly clicked. Eli suddenly clicked. There's plenty of reason to believe it could happen, though I agree it's not likely. We are on the hook for his salary regardless. He serves as an adequate backup believe it or not, and for that alone we might as well keep hyim since we're paying hinm anyway. Furthermore, Geno should EARN his spot. If Geno is the starter it should be because he beat Sanchez out in camp. Reality we have no reason or impetus to just hand over the reigns to Geno. Geno is no different to this team than Kellen Clemens was. In fact Clemens probably hurt us more than Geno could because there was no rookie cap back then (just guessing Kellen's contract was bigger, don't know for sure).

    You let them compete. If Mark wins the job, then he's the best QB we have. If Geno wins it then he is. But the bottom line is if we're already paying the guy millions of dollars we might as well let him compete.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on his body of work as a NYJ do you believe Sanchez is your QB going forward? By drafting Geno it appears the decision has already been made. Just a matter of when.

    So long Head Case.

  6. #46
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If Geno is the starter it should be because he beat Sanchez out in camp.

    You let them compete. If Mark wins the job, then he's the best QB we have. If Geno wins it then he is.
    The above is exactly why you keep Sanchez around. Let them fight it out and settle it on the field so there is no more MMQB about Sanchez. If Sanchez can't beat out a 2nd round rookie he has no reason to take the field for the Jets or any other team.

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klecko73 View Post
    The above is exactly why you keep Sanchez around. Let them fight it out and settle it on the field so there is no more MMQB about Sanchez. If Sanchez can't beat out a 2nd round rookie he has no reason to take the field for the Jets or any other team.
    Love this line of thinking, because the reverse is also true. If Geno can't beat out Sanchez, I don't want him starting this year.

    If you cut Sanchez now, you're counting on Garrard to stay healthy. Risky proposition. And all Geno would have to do beat out McElroy is show that he can throw the ball 30 yards down the field.

    Sanchez represents good entry-level competition for the rookie. As little as I think of Mark at this point, I thought even less of Kellen Clemens at this time in '09. Give Geno a little challenge and we'll all feel better about him winning the starting job.

  8. #48
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Just a question for all those saying "He has the tools."

    What are they?
    He has a knack of dramatic 4th quarter comebacks.

    He plays his very best in very big spots.

    His playoff resume is the best in team history.

    He has been misused and neglected, no playmakers, no running game, weak defense, fractured locker room, three OC's, still won 6 games last year.

    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying the kid the way ignorant fans do here. The leaders on this team have been very consistent, always point to the garbage Mark had to work with, have not thrown him under the bus. Nope. Just silly emotional fans on a discussion forum who watch too much ESPN, get teased about Thanksgiving fumbles, and almost always get it wrong.

    SAR I

  9. #49
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice history lesson..

    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He has a knack of dramatic 4th quarter comebacks.
    quite the opposite past two years..

    He plays his very best in very big spots.

    see above
    His playoff resume is the best in team history.

    taking about Rex ryan again? his total yardage per game in playoffs is better than his weak regular season average, but still a far cry to being high yardage/tds

    He has been misused and neglected, no playmakers, no running game, weak defense, fractured locker room, three OC's, still won 6 games last year.

    Defense won 6 games on their own, mark lost many games all by himself..


    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying the kid the way ignorant fans do here. The leaders on this team have been very consistent, always point to the garbage Mark had to work with, have not thrown him under the bus. Nope. Just silly emotional fans on a discussion forum who watch too much ESPN, get teased about Thanksgiving fumbles, and almost always get it wrong.

    Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean they aren't frustrated about his decline back to back years.. Im glad his teammates are being good teammates and not throwing him under the bus. The fans want to win. They care about the Jets, they do not have this weird crush on Mark Sanchez like some scary trolls

    SAR I

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is NO viable argument for keeping this Turnover Machine around past June.

    The Jets have at least two better alternatives already on the roster. Unless you have an obvious girlish crush on failed quarterbacks from USC, there is no case for allowing buttfumble6 to take valuable reps from Garrard, Smith or McElroy.

    period

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying the kid the way ignorant fans do here.

    SAR I
    That's another reason to cut him, so we can find out what they really think.

    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying Rex the way ignorant fans do here.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    That's another reason to cut him, so we can find out what they really think.

    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying Rex the way ignorant fans do here.
    BINGO!!!

    And Mark's best pal's statement about "at this point in time..." or whatever it was is just a GLOWING endorsement.

    Certain trolls here have major crushes on hype boys from USC

  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Love this line of thinking, because the reverse is also true. If Geno can't beat out Sanchez, I don't want him starting this year.

    If you cut Sanchez now, you're counting on Garrard to stay healthy. Risky proposition. And all Geno would have to do beat out McElroy is show that he can throw the ball 30 yards down the field.

    Sanchez represents good entry-level competition for the rookie. As little as I think of Mark at this point, I thought even less of Kellen Clemens at this time in '09. Give Geno a little challenge and we'll all feel better about him winning the starting job.
    G'damn Greenwave, what clarity amidst confusion ..

  14. #54
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    That's another reason to cut him, so we can find out what they really think.

    And most important of all, still not a single player in that locker room destroying Rex the way ignorant fans do here.
    Are you high?

    Don't make me dig up the "Things The Jets Have Said About Each Other" thread and show you all the quotes condemning Rex Ryan and the culture of that team.

    The Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez situations are not related, they are not congruent. One is a kid who was manipulated by the other. One was not in control at all and the other held all the strings. One is an old man who cannot change the other a young man who can. While it's convenient to try to make the two situations connected, it's not the case.

    SAR I

  15. #55
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez sucks...he's been bailed out ALOT by the defense, miscues by the opposing team and overall got lucky in a few games.

    Why SAR has a man crush on Sanchez I'll never understand?

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Here are the reasons why the Jets could keep Sanchez around:

    1) they're on the hook for his salary
    2) he has no/minimal trade value
    3) for the first time in his NFL career, the Jets have a proven OC running the show
    4) cutting him after June 1st would add $4.8 to the Jets cap hit in 2014
    5) there's no harm in letting him battle it out in camp - if he's the Sanchez of 2012, bench him or even cut him if you think he's going to be a deterrent.. but if something clicks, and he's legitimately the best QB in camp, he might actually be worth something in a trade
    Best reason we'll keep him is because we have a grownup running the team. He's not going to just take the loss because some fans get all emotional. If the team was run by young girls he would have been cut already.

  17. #57
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 224B View Post
    Sanchez sucks...he's been bailed out ALOT by the defense, miscues by the opposing team and overall got lucky in a few games.

    Why SAR has a man crush on Sanchez I'll never understand?
    There is no man crush, only common sense.

    Mark Sanchez sucks right now. There's a 70% chance he's done, finished, toast. But there's a 30% chance that under a professional offensive coordinator running a balanced offense with decent skill players that Mark Sanchez might bounce back.

    He's under contract. We are going to be 4-12 no matter who is under center. We should find out if the kid who went on a 16-4 tear, won 4 road playoff games, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 Championship Games has some gas left in the tank before punting him to Canada. Not rocket science.

    SAR I

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There is no man crush, only common sense.

    Mark Sanchez sucks right now. There's a 70% chance he's done, finished, toast. But there's a 30% chance that under a professional offensive coordinator running a balanced offense with decent skill players that Mark Sanchez might bounce back.

    He's under contract. We are going to be 4-12 no matter who is under center. We should find out if the kid who went on a 16-4 tear, won 4 road playoff games, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 Championship Games has some gas left in the tank before punting him to Canada. Not rocket science.

    SAR I
    I'm curious to know what experts listed the percentage breakdown for mark Sanchez.. 30% seems a bit high, this must have been made up by the mark Sanchez troll fan base do you have the article so I can read it?

  19. #59
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez must have 14 siblings and 42 cousins given his defense on JI. Unbelievable. Play on the field doesnt mean a thing with these choads.

  20. #60
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We should find out if the kid who went on a 16-4 tear, won 4 road playoff games, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 Championship Games has some gas left in the tank before punting him to Canada. Not rocket science.

    SAR I
    Canada? That says a lot.

    Even you don't see him on an NFL roster.

    Who cares if Mark gets demoted like Alex Smith and stays onboard?

    There's no harm in it really unless the chemistry gets so ugly it's destructive.

    I imagine Geno can learn something from Mark like how to iron his socks the night before a game.

    Or Mark can do it for him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us