Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homebuying Noob Question

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by nvajet99 View Post
    What if you need to sell fast and have contingencies on other properties?

I am a developer who would rather not use a realtor but have found one with good negotiating skills. She could care less about what the price is because she has the deal and needs to complete it to earn money. I don't know where you live but down here houses go into contract in days. So if you find some nutty couple that has a hard on for a house and you say slow down I need to get you in the right house at the right price, guess what happens. By By client. Realtors are shrinks calming crazed people.

Go for sale by owner if you don't like realtors. If you don't like plumbers, do it yourself that always works...

If you are against the commission that's fine, but my agent spends tons of hours on clients that never sell or never buy.
    FTR, I never said I don't like realtors, have a buddy who is one. I know they work hard to make a living. And there are good ones and bad ones. simply commenting on the system. hey, it's not more effed up than other business.

But I can't think of another business where you rep makes LESS if they negotiate a better deal for you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I know the numbers aren't big, but in what other business does someone working "for" you benefit by a higher price?

And their job should be to get you in the right house at the right price, not "as fast as possible."
    There's an inherent conflict of interest in certain respects, sure. But, thats hardly limited to this line of work.

Lawyers are typically paid by the hour. In a litigation context, what benefit do lawyers have in settling early as opposed to protracted discovery that can rack of thousands or millions of dollars?

In whatever service provider you use, there needs to be some leap of faith that they have integrity and are serving your best interests, not their own. A thorough search and check of references should be undertaken as well.

And especially in the real estate context, those people survive by referrals. I have had one quasi-crappy broker and great one. I also have a great mortgage broker (and one terrible one - Apple Mortgage...DO NOT USE) and a great RE lawyer. The ones I like I pass along to people I know and they have received a significant amount of business.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    There's an inherent conflict of interest in certain respects, sure. But, thats hardly limited to this line of work.

Lawyers are typically paid by the hour. In a litigation context, what benefit do lawyers have in settling early as opposed to protracted discovery that can rack of thousands or millions of dollars?

In whatever service provider you use, there needs to be some leap of faith that they have integrity and are serving your best interests, not their own. A thorough search and check of references should be undertaken as well.

And especially in the real estate context, those people survive by referrals. I have had one quasi-crappy broker and great one. I also have a great mortgage broker (and one terrible one - Apple Mortgage...DO NOT USE) and a great RE lawyer. The ones I like I pass along to people I know and they have received a significant amount of business.
    Good point on the lawyers.

Couldn't agree more. I've had good and bad.