Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders, Broncos interested in S Charles Woodson. Shouldn't Jets be?

Jets Insider VIP

Raiders, Broncos interested in S Charles Woodson. Shouldn't Jets be?

Should the Jets be inquiring? We're not going to build around him but couldn't he be a valuable veteran added to one of our weakest positions?

Too expensive?

ESPN.com news services | May 14, 2013

Free-agent safety Charles Woodson is making a visit to the Denver Broncos and has received an offer from the Oakland Raiders, agent Carl Poston told ESPN's Josina Anderson on Tuesday.

Rookie
    Doesn't fit the Idzik SOP

*standard operating procedure*

Young
    Cheap
    Unproven

if there's cap room for it, at least make him an offer. We have a gaping hole at free safety.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Should the Jets be inquiring? We're not going to build around him but couldn't he be a valuable veteran added to one of our weakest positions?

Too expensive?
    To what end?

To quote your own post:

We're not going to build around him
    Then why do we need him? Rent-a-Name-Veteran serves no purpose of any kind in a year like 2013 will be for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    To what end?
    Teaching the younger guys, filling a big hole or providing depth at the Safety position.

Then why do we need him? Rent-a-Name-Veteran serves no purpose of any kind in a year like 2013 will be for the Jets.
    We're not building around Calvin Pace or Willie Colon either but we signed them for depth and some veteran presence.

I was thinking Broncos or Patriots should grab him.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    the jets have enough vets including cro to teach....there is still also a lot of time before training camp etc......pass. Woodson has been on the market for a long time for a reason. I like how the jets are going about things.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Teaching the younger guys, filling a big hole or providing depth at the Safety position.

We're not building around Calvin Pace or Willie Colon either but we signed them for depth and some veteran presence.

Jets Insider VIP
    in short NO

we tried this trick three times with Lott, Atwater and Law

and failed three times too

washed up old names can't cover wide receivers

Thinking about this more and more, if CW did end up on the Jets' roster, does he provide competition? Is the job his? As stated above, there are many veterans (Cro) that can serve as leaders, teachers, etc. He's not part of the organization up to date, and he'll step in just to lead? I know it seems like a good idea, but the competition thing doesn't fit with the new MO by bringing him in. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I was thinking Broncos or Patriots should grab him.
    The pats picked up Adrian Wilson for the mentoring role.
    Woodson is a free lancer at FS, BB is such a sticker for assignment football the match would never work.

He's been hurt the last few years hasn't he? And he's pretty old. I don't see the point. Let's see what the safeties on the roster can do.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Not Idziks plan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The pats picked up Adrian Wilson for the mentoring role.
    Woodson is a free lancer at FS, BB is such a sticker for assignment football the match would never work.
    I could never figure out the Ocho and Haynesworth signings??

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Wouldnt be a bad idea, depending on how much he'd want. People here are overestimating our secondary - Revis and Landry are HUGE losses. And our "2nd ranked pass defense" was bogus, teams were able to easily run on us.

If Idzik is just looking towards the future, then yeah, no need for Woodson. But he'd certainly help our team in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    in short NO

we tried this trick three times with Lott, Atwater and Law

and failed three times too

washed up old names can't cover wide receivers
    How many safeties can cover wide receivers man to man anyway. Most of the safeties have 4.5 to 4.6 speed. You don't think C woodson is in that speed range. C woodson like Rod Woodson has seen every offensive formation and can anticipate what pattern a Wr is running.

The question is would you rather have a Charles woodson or a Kerry Rhodes.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Wouldnt be a bad idea, depending on how much he'd want. People here are overestimating our secondary - Revis and Landry are HUGE losses. And our "2nd ranked pass defense" was bogus, teams were able to easily run on us.

If Idzik is just looking towards the future, then yeah, no need for Woodson. But he'd certainly help our team in 2013.
    Landry is a big hitter, but not very good in coverage. Revis was out for the year. We added Miliner, and replaced Bell with Landry's big brother. I think everyone knows what our secondary is like. We need someone to step into FS, but we really didn't have a true FS last year. I think we go 3 LBs, 2 SS, and 3 CBs most of the time.

Woodson if cheap would be ok. But I wonder why so many teams have looked past him, including the Jets at this point.

Charles Woodson coming back where it all started. Welcome Home Chuck.

Glazer says C-Wood signed!!

Jay Glazer‏@JayGlazer2m
    Again, Raiders and Charles Woodson have agreed to terms.

DJ Hayden and Taiwan Jones could get some nice pointers from Mr Woodson.

..and? Go post about it on a Raiders forum.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    ..and? Go post about it on a Raiders forum.
    I did already thanks.