View Poll Results: Which current scandal / cover-up is the most serious and disappointing to you?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Benghazi cover-up and deleting of CIA-confirmed terrorist ties from press release

9 47.37%
  • IRS secretly targeting conservative groups

7 36.84%
  • Dept. of Justice secret seizure of press phone records

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of the current scandals/cover-ups is the most serious to you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Really? I was unaware of that, and that these were soldiers and that it had been happening daily the last ten years.
    Yup all being paid by Uncle Sam. Crazy huh.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real scandal in the IRS debacle is that rich donors are being shielded from taxes for giving to Charity that isn't charity. None of these groups that use large amount of funds on political lobbying should get tax exemptions.

They shouldn't have targeted the Republicans they should have targeted all of them. The President clearly isn't involved since the IRS is independent. Lets see if Congress has the balls to fix the law. I doubt it as incumbents have a real personal interest in shielding their donors.

The Republican tactic of paralyzing the President is going to leave the entitlement and tax code unchanged as the likelihood of any deal falls apart. It's even questionable if we will need to raise the debt ceiling this year. The stalemate on entitlement reform is a huge win for liberal Democrats.

Nicely done Republicans!
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 05-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The real scandal in the IRS debacle is that rich donors are being shielded from taxes for giving to Charity that isn't charity. None of these groups that use large amount of funds on political lobbying should get tax exemptions.
    It's not a scandal. It's a nonsensical tax code.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    It's not a scandal. It's a nonsensical tax code.
    One in which the Republican Presidential candidate ran on reforming without actually mentioning what he was going to reform.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One in which the Republican Presidential candidate ran on reforming without actually mentioning what he was going to reform.
    He had a general plan but failed to include any type of specifics in terms of its execution. This rightly lead to the conclusion that he didn't have a viable plan at all. In any case, this is an entirely separate issue.

An improved tax code could remove the environment of corruption which seems to be central to this case. However, a flawed system is not a legitimate excuse for the illegal actions in question.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing but Obama wasn't to specific when he ran in 2008 either. Only thing I can seem to remember was that he was closing Gitmo.

And Romney did discuss certain loopholes he was going to close. Even did it in the debates.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not for nothing but Obama wasn't to specific when he ran in 2008 either. Only thing I can seem to remember was that he was closing Gitmo.

And Romney did discuss certain loopholes he was going to close. Even did it in the debates.
    Exactly, when it comes to money and power politics both sides are decidedly on the side of both money and power.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That's not my recollection. The only specific cuts I remember hearing are Planned Parenthood and Big Bird. Nothing in terms of substantive tax policy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    That's not my recollection. The only specific cuts I remember hearing are Planned Parenthood and Big Bird. Nothing in terms of substantive tax policy.
    Romney wanted to get rid of the capital gains tax, gee who does that help???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real scandal in the IRS debacle is that rich donors are being shielded from taxes for giving to Charity that isn't charity. None of these groups that use large amount of funds on political lobbying should get tax exemptions.!
    That's an entirely different issue. Agreed, a bad law. If I had my way, not only would that go away, but so would the entire institution of the IRS (see FairTax).

However, that matters not to the fact that these are the current rules that grant our government certain powers, and those powers were exercised with specific, unjustified and belligerent discrimination. If that doesn't trouble most people, I severely worry for our future.