Thread: So Geno Smith has no leadership qualities, eh? Read this ...

So Geno Smith has no leadership qualities, eh? Read this ...

As time goes on, the portrayal of Geno Smith by select members of the media immediately after the draft is looking like one of the biggest con jobs in the history of NY sports ...

Read this and see how one of his former teammates feels about him:

ST. LOUIS (AP) Jeff Fisher already knows what wide receiver Tavon Austin and the rest of the St. Louis draft picks can do.

He saw them at the combine, at their pro days and at private workouts. So seeing them on the practice field for the first time was no big deal.

"I've seen him do a lot more in the workouts than he did today," Fisher said Friday. "Nothing surprises me about him."

At this weekend's rookie minicamp, with practices Friday and Saturday along with off-field sessions, the focus is on a larger than usual class of undrafted free agents and more than two dozen hopefuls in for a two-day tryout. Among the undrafted free agents is linebacker Ray Ray Armstrong, on the rebound after getting kicked off the team at Miami before last season in the scandal over gifts from a former booster.

"I'm excited right now, just to try to come out here and prove myself and try to become a Ram," Armstrong said. "Whatever happened in the past, I put that behind me and I'm focusing on now.

"This is an opportunity and a dream come true for anybody. I'm looking forward to maximizing my opportunity."

During his layoff Armstrong attended Faulkner University, an NAIA school in Montgomery, Ala. He practiced with the team and also helped out coaching special teams on game days.

"I'd say I know the game, that's something I pride myself on," Armstrong said. "I've been playing football my whole life."

The 6-foot-3, 227-pound Armstrong, who also was suspended for much of his junior year, was a safety in college. He said he hadn't been too nervous getting back on the field after the long layoff and summed up the first day as a "lot of fun."

"He's been off for a while and he's in good shape," Fisher said. "He got caught up in a difficult situation and he's happy for the opportunity."

Armstrong said he didn't know Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith, also implicated in the Miami scandal, and had little to say about the ongoing investigation.

"I mean, that situation, it is what it is and that's in the past," Armstrong said. "I'm focusing on being a Ram now."

Auburn wide receiver Emory Blake, son of former NFL quarterback James Blake, is among the undrafted free agents. Four of the tryouts, who were not made available to media, are from Division II Henderson State.

"It's just familiarizing who's who," Fisher said. "Just looking at guys that can move around with balance and ability and pick things up. There'll be some guys off this tryout group that will at least make the training camp roster."

Fisher, retooling the NFL's youngest roster after a six-win improvement to 7-8-1 in his first year, pretended not to notice a light drizzle that made footing somewhat uncertain on grass practice fields. Players didn't seem to mind, either.

"Definitely a little wet and I ain't used to playing on the grass," Austin said. "But eventually I'll get the hang of it."

Wide receiver Stedman Bailey, who like Austin is coming off a 100-plus catch year at West Virginia, can't wear No. 3 in the NFL so he chose jersey No. 12 in tribute to another teammate. Quarterback Geno Smith wore that number at West Virginia, but had to switch to No. 7 with the Jets because Joe Namath's No. 12 is retired.

"I see he wasn't able to pick that up over in New York," Bailey said. "So I told him I'd hold it down for him."

The Rams traded up to get the 5-9, 174-pound Austin with the eighth overall pick of the draft. Austin said it felt "pretty much like my next home," when he arrived at the team complex on Thursday.

Austin and Bailey are safe and sound, but might benefit from a little push with four more wide receivers at camp.

"I don't ever underestimate anybody," Austin said. "I come out here with the same attitude as if I was playing the vets."

Austin said he and Bailey are good friends but there was no chance they'd be living together.

"He's going to have his home and I'm going to have mine," Austin said. "I didn't live with him in college, so I'm not living with him in the league right now."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rams-foc...ad-draft-picks

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know if that means he is a leader but I think it does show that his teammates respect him.

Geno will get his chance to prove his detractors wrong. He is in control of that. But his goals should be more short-sighted than that at least for now. He has a new offense to learn and a playbook to delve into. One day at a time.

I'm not in the camp that thinks he's not a leader/can't lead, but those comments don't necessarily say that Geno is a good leader. Again, not saying he isn't, but we just won't know until we know.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    the man has been a pro for 3 weeks....this nitpicking etc has gotten beyond absurd.....who the heck knows about his overall leadership skills....why is everything about him being dissected.....he is a rookie with a lot of promise..this has gotten real old.

Hall Of Fame
    there were no detractors during his THREE years as a starter....these idiots came out of the woodwork after he was drafted....to assume that he has to prove anyone wrong shows that the media has gotten in the heads of some jets fans....as far as I am concerned, he is a rookie trying to get the starting job...no more and no less. This idiocy about playing in NYC...these players could give a rats ass what detractors think...Smith pretty much said that last week. That to me more than showed how mature and focused this young man is.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't know if that means he is a leader but I think it does show that his teammates respect him.

Geno will get his chance to prove his detractors wrong. He is in control of that. But his goals should be more short-sighted than that at least for now. He has a new offense to learn and a playbook to delve into. One day at a time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    there were no detractors during his THREE years as a starter....these idiots came out of the woodwork after he was drafted....to assume that he has to prove anyone wrong shows that the media has gotten in the heads of some jets fans....as far as I am concerned, he is a rookie trying to get the starting job...no more and no less. This idiocy about playing in NYC...these players could give a rats ass what detractors think...Smith pretty much said that last week. That to me more than showed how mature and focused this young man is.
    I understand the point you are making but Geno has acknowledged the critics himself. His tweets and comments before and after the draft addressed his critics. Since then, he has been likely schooled by the Jets PR dept and his own handlers so I am not sure how much of the change Geno himself is responsible for.

Sadly, over the past two years Jets fans have practically become experts in seeing what happens to QB who lacks confidence and the ability to overcome adversity. So we will pretty much know right away what type of kid Geno really is. As of now, all the reports and comments from all sides is just noise. Everything will be proven on the field. I am sure Geno knows that and he will get his opportunity to prove himself.

We have been waiting a long time for a QB. I am hoping he is the one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    I don't get it
    Something about a shirt. which proves Geno is a leader.

Capish?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

Capish?
    Your sig cracks me up every time I read it.

Hall Of Fame
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I understand the point you are making but Geno has acknowledged the critics himself. His tweets and comments before and after the draft addressed his critics. Since then, he has been likely schooled by the Jets PR dept and his own handlers so I am not sure how much of the change Geno himself is responsible for.

Sadly, over the past two years Jets fans have practically become experts in seeing what happens to QB who lacks confidence and the ability to overcome adversity. So we will pretty much know right away what type of kid Geno really is. As of now, all the reports and comments from all sides is just noise. Everything will be proven on the field. I am sure Geno knows that and he will get his opportunity to prove himself.

We have been waiting a long time for a QB. I am hoping he is the one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

Capish?
    Something about a HOF QB proved BB was a great HC.. Prior to Brady BB had a 41-55 coaching record with the Browns and Pats in 6 seasons..

Eh?

EH?!!!

My ****ing ex used that ****. Damn Canadians.

Veteran
    Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm not in the camp that thinks he's not a leader/can't lead, but those comments don't necessarily say that Geno is a good leader. Again, not saying he isn't, but we just won't know until we know.
    All I'm saying is, I don't see how someone can engender that type of loyalty from a teammate and then be described in a Pro Football Weekly scouting report as someone who "does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire." Then add all the other stuff that was put out after the draft ... something smells rotten.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Something about a HOF QB proved BB was a great HC.. Prior to Brady BB had a 41-55 coaching record with the Browns and Pats in 6 seasons..
    Brady is not a HOF QB. He's just the product of the system.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Brady is not a HOF QB. He's just the product of the system.
    Yeah right.. Even Bradley Lum disagrees..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Stedman and Geno played in High School together and came to WVU together. The rumor in WV was that the 5 game slump last year started when Geno found out Stedman was doing his girlfriend. Maybe the #12 jersey tribute is a payback. It's the least he could do

Undrafted Free Agent
    Bailey was redshirted his freshman year. He chose to enter the draft early because he didn't want to be there without Geno and Tavon. That part is true