Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: New Story: QB Garrard to leave Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    To those saying it was a screw up by Idzik, it's already been reported that there was a clause in the contract protecting the Jets from any financial obligation if this happened. It wasn't a screw up as much as it was a calculated gamble due to the utter lack of any other available QBs worth bringing in. Have you seen the list of available QBs?

Leftwich? Trent Edwards? Hoyer? It's a scrap heap of less-than-bums. I would have rather gambled on Garrard over any of these collective bunch of losers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Well as much as this throws a wrench in the plans of the up coming season, there are some positives.

The first and most important is the timing of this, before even OTA's start which allow the Jets a certain amount of flexibility on the decisions they will have to make.
    Allowing whom ever they bring in the time to make the adjustment and form the bonds need to lead the team if he can win the starters job.

Now having said that, we really need to find a solid veteran to push both the young kids, Smith & McElroy. It is still my belief that Mark needs to be moved before the start of the season.
    So best case for the Jets is to find a
    QB who has played in MM system and could come in fully prepared to challenge and start from day one. If it means we have to give up a third or better four rounder next year so be it. No, I don't like it either but "stuff " happens. Again for the Jets, having this happen early allows them to make the best deal for hopefully a solid veteran at a reasonable price.
    The last thing we need is some bum who is going to just take a roster spot and not be able to challenge these guys, ie, Burnell.

As others have said this will be a huge test of how our new GM works on the fly. My personal hope is they don't throw Geno to the wolves and bring in someone who allow us to move Mark and still hold Geno out to learn and can start and be effective and win games for the Jets this season, not asking for much am I, LOL
    If they were to go that route the best option would be to trade for Nick Foles. It might cost us a third or a fourth. Not saying its the best route but he would definitely beat out Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    or it was a calculated longshot that also provided a valuable smokescreen before the draft

Jet did not "need" a QB going into the draft - Geno falls to 39
    i've been chided in this thread for this sentiment. i think this is part of it. several other teams that needed qbs traded for them but the jets didn't, they couldn't. they signed a guy who hadn't played in 2 years. please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    The really amazing and the only good part of this news is that it came as a complete surprise nobody knew, the Bills DC would have spilled the beans and destroyed the draft, probably forcing the Jets to reach for a QB...

Thank you David Garrard for being a class act and not letting this out before the draft - you may go in peace

nice work Korn/Ferry on the GM selection process

Thank you John Idzik, Jr. for the best offseason in years
    +1

the bills got kolb, the cards got palmer, the chiefs got smith. even the raiders got flynn. the jets couldn't outbid anyone for these guys and weren't giving up picks. this has the look of idzik making other teams believe garrard intended to play this year and compete with sanchez. love idzik.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    To those saying it was a screw up by Idzik, it's already been reported that there was a clause in the contract protecting the Jets from any financial obligation if this happened. It wasn't a screw up as much as it was a calculated gamble due to the utter lack of any other available QBs worth bringing in. Have you seen the list of available QBs?

Leftwich? Trent Edwards? Hoyer? It's a scrap heap of less-than-bums. I would have rather gambled on Garrard over any of these collective bunch of losers as well.
    Don't ruin the agenda of some on this board.

All Pro
    What other vet FA QB's are out there?

Would like to bring another vet into camp to battle with Sanchez/Geno......

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    What other vet FA QB's are out there?

Would like to bring another vet into camp to battle with Sanchez/Geno......
    Hoyer, Leftwich, V Young are some that come to mind. None of them are good but it's not like Garrard was any different from them

Hall Of Fame
    SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL
    .@DavidGarrard9: I didn't want to put the team in a tough spot knowing that I wouldn't be healthy enough to play everyday. #SXMSports #Jets

.@DavidGarrard9: My knee never got back to the point where I could go out and be fully healthy and compete. #SXMSports #Jets

.@DavidGarrard9: The #Jets told us it would be an open QB competition...nobody was ever promised the starting job. #SXMSports

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Hoyer, Leftwich, V Young are some that come to mind. None of them are good but it's not like Garrard was any different from them
    given the value in the trash heap....wouldn't mind a Leftwich signing.....

What is this really screwing up, when you sit back and think about it? It's not like this derails the team's Super Bowl plans. Or even the playoffs. This is a transition year. The Jets are going to suck in 2013 with or without Garrard. The greatest impact is losing a mentor to Smith, because if there's one thing I absolutely do not want to see, it's Sanchez taking Smith under his crooked little wing.

Told everyone Garrard wouldn't make it out of training camp.
    Didn't think it would be Mini-camp.

I think we should bring in Thigpen. He was very successfull running an offense similar to MMs in KC that one year.

I have to be honest, I thought David Garrard was Byron Leftwich.

Guys,
    There really is no F/A QB out there right now worth bring in, this is why the Jets signed Garrard in the first place. He was a solid starter for many years,well experienced and affordable with much to prove.
    The Jets need to bite the bullet and offer a reasonable draft pick 3 or 4 next year for a younger healthy QB that is familiar with MM an his system already.
    We could send the pick along with Mark as a replacement back up for the the player they are losing Then offer who ever they chose, the chance to come in and take the starters job from the current set of young guns on the roster in a fair and open competition. If he can do that you tell him the job is his this season and next or as long as he doesn't get it taken away by those same young guns!!!!!

Maybe the Jets can bring in a top CFL or Arena QB. Btw, i think it's a bad idea to give up draft picks to bring a QB in.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Jets offer Garrard to comeback as coach/mentor for qbs. But said he needed to talk it over with family

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    That's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSackExchange View Post
    Jets offer Garrard to comeback as coach/mentor for qbs. But said he needed to talk it over with family
    Interesting. Link?

Edit: On second thought, if it's mentoring why not Garcia who has had success with MM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    They were both on the Jaguars roster 6 years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    no scrap heapers needed

Smith, McElroy, Simms will be fine for 2013

Things will begin to shape up positively as soon as Buttfumble6 is booted out of here in June