Thread: Have you played?

Have you played?

I'm just interested to see who has actually played the game and what your story is, i have played rugby all my life and started playing AF quite late at about 27.

I played OLB for the Manchester Titans, I have recently joined my second team the Lancashire Wolverines and its a good competitive level. http://www.manchestertitans.co.uk/

I know people who have not played have a great understanding and knowledge of the game but it really makes you appreciate the physicality of the sport and what it's like to get your bell rung, injuries etc.

I wanted to see what level people played at, why or when you finished playin, position, injuries, regrets etc. anything you feel playing contributed to your understanding or love for the game.

And save me the glorified "i nearly made it pro" spiel, I'm looking for some solid players from grass roots level who learned this sport the hard way.

What's your story?
    Last edited by Harrier; 05-17-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: M

Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Wow...you look familiar.

Nice touch!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I played baseball in college and in the minors. I'm 40 now and thinking of trying out at QB for the New York Jets.

do you even lift, bro?

No that's not me, I'm much younger and darker . That's Ed O'Neill, the actor who played Al Bundy, during his playing days for either Ohio U or Youngstown State. Did you know he was also in Steelers training camp in 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I played baseball in college and in the minors. I'm 40 now and thinking of trying out at QB for the New York Jets.
    Listen, I'm a righty, if you're a lefty, let's tie a rope around our waists and try out together as the first 2 headed, ambidextrous QB. At the very least Woody will sign us for "You know... Football reasons" and we can't be any worse than Sanchez, amirite?

I got a full ride to Miami. I played DB ( a backup) there from 79-82..graduated in 83.

Kelly and Kosar were both there while I was there..

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    I got a full ride to Miami. I played DB ( a backup) there from 79-82..graduated in 83.

Were you recruited out of CT? I'm curious because I've read tons of times that Schnellenberger made recruiting out of South Florida his main recruiting goal. If you got down there from all the way up here, then kudos brotha.

And I was a DB who played first at URI then I transferred to Worcester State (MA) and played there, all during the late 90s to early 2000s. In fact, my DC at Worcester is now the HC @ Yale University and hopefully I'll join him on his staff in the near future.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm a cane as well. I was at the Bowl when we beat Nebraska for the national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Were you recruited out of CT? I'm curious because I've read tons of times that Schnellenberger made recruiting out of South Florida his main recruiting goal. If you got down there from all the way up here, then kudos brotha.

And I was a DB who played first at URI then I transferred to Worcester State (MA) and played there, all during the late 90s to early 2000s. In fact, my DC at Worcester is now the HC @ Yale University and hopefully I'll join him on his staff in the near future.
    That's awesome, forgot to ask if anyone coached aswell.

I'm Glenn Foley.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post

I Played High School ball in Florida. My dad lived down there..

I Played High School ball in Florida. My dad lived down there..
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I'm Glenn Foley.
    If Foley was currently the size of the fat dude in your avatar, i wouldn't be shocked one bit. Did anyone see how huge Kenny O is now in that Elway 30 for 30? He always had a lanky, long, basketball body when he played here, I wasn't expecting him to be on his was to Pizza the Hutt lol.

Also, for all that is good and sacred in the world, can you please put the good Dr. Moga back in your window? I'm even asking nicely

Veteran
    Glen Foley works as a cars salesman for Toyota in Franklin Square. He gained some weight definitely . I was there with my sister, who was looking for a new car. I was bs'ing with some guys about Jets a few years ago. The manager says I want you to meet someone. Glenn Foley shows up... I thought he was doing some paid promo appearance... nah he works there. He said Injuries derailed his career.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

4 TD's against Andrew Johnson High in the 1966 City Championship.

Veteran
    This thread is going to get about as derailed as a question on Benghazi. Of course the majority of people here haven't played. That's why everyone's so vocal.