Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Upgraded offensive line"

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

"Upgraded offensive line"

Been reading that a lot here lately. That it was "reinforced", "upgraded", etc. Not trying to be negative but just posing a question, is the line really upgraded from last year?

Who do you guys see as the starting guards and RT?

All League
    If one is to believe the hype on Winters,he will be an upgrade over Slauson, who was serviceable, but nothing more. Colon is the wildcard, if he is healthy, he is probably at worst equal to the aging Moore, if not better. I can't imagine Howard woud regress, and would like to think he will improve.

The OL will be more athletic if nothing else.

Brian Winters and Willie Colon are an upgrade over Slausan and an old Brandon Moore who was obviously bad last year for no team to want him now.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    why is it hype because he is ready to start? Is it always hype when positive things are said about players? It's obvious that the O line has been upgraded and is better than last year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    why is it hype because he is ready to start? Is it always hype when positive things are said about players? It's obvious that the O line has been upgraded and is better than last year.
    Didn't mean it use hype in a derogatory sense. I for one think Winters will be much better than Slauson, but that doesn't make it so.

Man, talk about beating your head against the wall! PFF, who I think are fairly well respected around here, they are by me, ranked our 2012 OLine #3 in the ENTIRE NFL! Everyone is still stuck in the turnstile 2011 era.

I agree though that our vets were on the downslide and think the Idzik upgrades only solidify that top status. Our weakness last year was a crappy offensive coordinator and lack of weapons... and yes Mr. Sanchez's performance. But it wasn't the OLine that did him in.

Biggest issue with our line was depth and that was answered IMO. Slauson was no better then Vlad and Moore was declining. Howard was not very good. Argue anther year for Howard and Winters competing at RT and that is a huge upgrade. We have a LOT of depth at G and it will not be hard to fill that. Even if our starter end up being Vlad and Colon that is not a downgrade IMO. For once we are going into camp with 5-6 guys that could make the roster as OL depth.

The upgrade is BODIES.

And I mean that both in terms of depth, and in terms of competition for starting spots.

Going into camp it's probably

Ferguson/Landolt
    Winters/Peterman
    Mangold/Schlauderaff
    Colon/Ducasse
    Howard/Oboushi

Plus Campbell and Dalton Freeman, the UDFA Rex was impressed by at rookie camp.

Best case scenario is Oboushi makes Landolt expendable, rocks the swing tackle spot. Keep the best two of Campbell, Peterman, and Ducasse, and stash Freeman on the PS. So say Week 1:

OT: Ferguson, Howard, Oboushi
    OG: Winters, Colon, Campbell, Peterman
    C: Mangold, Schlauderaff

Idzik will probably make Rex carry 9 OL into games just like Tannenbaum did.

Hall Of Fame
    very valid points...if def was not the o line alone...I mean Green had 1000 yards even though they were not effective yards. We have a better o line...a better OC with an effective scheme and better running backs....I'll say right now that this offense is much better than last years...I know we need to get strong at receiver and tight end, but pull up last years roster and compare to the current.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Man, talk about beating your head against the wall! PFF, who I think are fairly well respected around here, they are by me, ranked our 2012 OLine #3 in the ENTIRE NFL! Everyone is still stuck in the turnstile 2011 era.

I agree though that our vets were on the downslide and think the Idzik upgrades only solidify that top status. Our weakness last year was a crappy offensive coordinator and lack of weapons... and yes Mr. Sanchez's performance. But it wasn't the OLine that did him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Been reading that a lot here lately. That it was "reinforced", "upgraded", etc. Not trying to be negative but just posing a question, is the line really upgraded from last year?

Good topic

I think the talent has been upgraded, but it remains to be seen how it shakes out

Out are Slauson and Moore, Moore IMO declined a lot last year, and wasn't nearly the player he was. Slauson was a solid player, but replacable.

In are the additions of solid veterans Colon and Peterman. Both starters last year, and if Colon is healthy, that could be a significant upgrade at RG.

The additions of Winters, Aboushi were solid draft picks, I think Winters battles for the LG spot. I think Campbell is a fascinating prospect, this kid has all kinds of talent, came out of high school as a 5 star recruit, has played mostly on defensive line but has some OL experience at the collegiate level, tremendous athlete and strong, I see him as the Ducasse replacement and project that makes the roster as a ST's player and development OL/OG

The way I see the starting OL going into camp:

LT Ferguson
    LG Peterman/Winters
    C Mangold
    RG Colon
    RT Howard

Ducasse is officially on the bubble with the talent additions, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the talent added.

Schlauderaff is another player on the bubble but a player the team has had as depth the last couple of years, and he plays C. The question is, other than Schlauderaff, who will fill in the role of back-up C, does Peterman have any experience at C?

I see the depth chart like this:

Ferguson
    Winters/Peterman
    Mangold
    Colon
    Howard
    Aboushi
    Campbell
    Schlauderaff (if they keep 9)

Hall Of Fame
    whats the name of the guy from Clemson....he was an all American at Clemson and plays center....can't recall his name but I am hearing good things from the jets when he was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good topic

I think the talent has been upgraded, but it remains to be seen how it shakes out

Out are Slauson and Moore, Moore IMO declined a lot last year, and wasn't nearly the player he was. Slauson was a solid player, but replacable.

In are the additions of solid veterans Colon and Peterman. Both starters last year, and if Colon is healthy, that could be a significant upgrade at RG.

The additions of Winters, Aboushi were solid draft picks, I think Winters battles for the LG spot. I think Campbell is a fascinating prospect, this kid has all kinds of talent, came out of high school as a 5 star recruit, has played mostly on defensive line but has some OL experience at the collegiate level, tremendous athlete and strong, I see him as the Ducasse replacement and project that makes the roster as a ST's player and development OL/OG

LT Ferguson
    LG Peterman/Winters
    C Mangold
    RG Colon
    RT Howard

Ducasse is officially on the bubble with the talent additions, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the talent added.

Schlauderaff is another player on the bubble but a player the team has had as depth the last couple of years, and he plays C. The question is, other than Schlauderaff, who will fill in the role of back-up C, does Peterman have any experience at C?

Ferguson
    Winters/Peterman
    Mangold
    Colon
    Howard
    Aboushi
    Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    very valid points...if def was not the o line alone...I mean Green had 1000 yards even though they were not effective yards. We have a better o line...a better OC with an effective scheme and better running backs....I'll say right now that this offense is much better than last years...I know we need to get strong at receiver and tight end, but pull up last years roster and compare to the current.
    Yes bro, I'm very excited about the O this season. It may well turn out that the best acquisition of talent was the OC, after the last 2 incompetent bastids.
    Then the addition of Ivory/Goodman, and the OL newbs/FA. TE's might not look too flash but perhaps they have some suprises in Cumby, Reuland, Hayden etc.
    I'm happy with the pickup of UDFA Rogers. Kerley was good last year. A healthy Tone is hard to cover. We still need a legit deep threat with size that also blocks well downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

I would say it got an upgrade, but certainly not a major one. The OL will probably be slightly better than last season. Certainly not anywhere near 2009 levels.

Austin Howard will be the RT and that does nothing to impress me. Although he does have one more year in our system and he figures to be better than last season. Colon will likely be one of our starting guards and I always thought he was a good player. The problem is, he could get injured and mean absolutely nothing to us. I'm hoping to get 8 games out of the guy.

I figure Winters will start at the other guard spot. Peterman doesn't look like a very good player to me. Winters comes with a good reputation for playing nasty. I'm expecting the worst out of this for at least half the season. Winters will get abused initially.

All in all, if the OL can stay healthy, I figure they could be as high as say number 15 in the running game ranks by the end of the season. A lot of that due to MM not trusting our QB and because the running game is actually working and starting to become productive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Biggest issue with our line was depth and that was answered IMO. Slauson was no better then Vlad and Moore was declining. Howard was not very good. Argue anther year for Howard and Winters competing at RT and that is a huge upgrade. We have a LOT of depth at G and it will not be hard to fill that. Even if our starter end up being Vlad and Colon that is not a downgrade IMO. For once we are going into camp with 5-6 guys that could make the roster as OL depth.
    Howard was barely an experienced guy and some around here expected him to be all pro out of the gate. He was serviceable but did improve as the season went on and he gained in experience. Just sayin'.....chances are likely he will be better this year especially as the ol gains consistency. If the QB stops holding the ball too long and helps his own cause, we will be much better off. And Winters is an OG not OT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Good topic

LT Ferguson
    LG Peterman/Winters
    C Mangold
    RG Colon
    RT Howard

Ferguson
    Winters/Peterman
    Mangold
    Colon
    Howard
    Aboushi
    Campbell
    Ray you might have to include DALTON FREEMAN to the ol at center backup. He is a legitimate center and has caught Rex's attention.

Hall Of Fame
    I have raised this question before. I am not sure if this is a case of addition by subtraction buy I think the hope is for the OL to be better in the long-term. We are not going to be able to judge this right away. An OL does need time to gel which is why I hope the rookies win the jobs b.c it is obvious that they are the future and I would want to start that process ASAP.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I would say it got an upgrade, but certainly not a major one. The OL will probably be slightly better than last season. Certainly not anywhere near 2009 levels.

Austin Howard will be the RT and that does nothing to impress me. Although he does have one more year in our system and he figures to be better than last season. Colon will likely be one of our starting guards and I always thought he was a good player. The problem is, he could get injured and mean absolutely nothing to us. I'm hoping to get 8 games out of the guy.

I figure Winters will start at the other guard spot. Peterman doesn't look like a very good player to me. Winters comes with a good reputation for playing nasty. I'm expecting the worst out of this for at least half the season. Winters will get abused initially.

All in all, if the OL can stay healthy, I figure they could be as high as say number 15 in the running game ranks by the end of the season. A lot of that due to MM not trusting our QB and because the running game is actually working and starting to become productive.
    This is a good assessment.

Regarding Howard you have to remember he didn't get a lot of reps in TC and pre-season. He started out rusty but by half way thru the season he progressed and was playing fairly well. I think he continues to progress and surprises on the upside to the point where we don't here his name just like any other good OLinemen.

Regarding LG, Slausson was not a good run blocker and couldn't pull so todays OL is definitely more dynamic.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have raised this question before. I am not sure if this is a case of addition by subtraction buy I think the hope is for the OL to be better in the long-term. We are not going to be able to judge this right away. An OL does need time to gel which is why I hope the rookies win the jobs b.c it is obvious that they are the future and I would want to start that process ASAP.
    I agree completely. This was not a quick fix for the Oline, but a long-term investment. The Jets will have depth along the OL that they haven't had for several years and some of these young guys will hopefully develop into capable starters if not this year, at some point int he near future.

All Pro
    Our oline was great run blocking, and so so pass blocking. We were constantly blitzed, and stunted. The incompetent OC, and a QB that could not set protections, and RBs, and TEs that could not pass block made them seem worse than they were. A RB that gained the least amount of yards after contact negated a top 5 yards until contact rating from the line.

Ferguson is a very good pass blocker, and a capable zone run blocker. Marty's scheme should suit him well. Sporano's did not, but he held up ok.

Colon is a tremendous upgrade if healthy. Moore was on his last legs, but average last year.

Winters is just the type of nasty to the whistle heavily tattooed player ever line needs one of. Hopefully he doesn't do too much after the whistle. He's the kind of tackle converted to guard which led me to say you don't draft guards in the first round.

Vlad was average pass blocking for a guard, and outstanding run blocking. People get so wrapped up in their emotions about players. I don't get it. He'll be fine if he plays.

Howard was an outstanding run blocker out of the gate, and improved his pass protection by leaps and bounds toward the end of the year. His awareness improved exponentially. I'm hoping for big things from him.

I think everyone knows about Mangold. Marty's blocking scheme should suit him to a tee. Under Sporano he was just very good. Not all world like we've been accustom to. The UDFA freeman should grab the backup center spot. We haven't had a true backup Center in a long time. This kid is pretty good.

Peterman, and Aboushi should make a nice pair of swing men. Oday could impress and eventually steal the right tackle spot. Then Howard could conceivably move inside and steal Vlad's job, or if God forbid Colon gets injured. Campbell hopefully learns quickly. He might stick on the active roster due to his versatility. He has a lot of raw talent, and intelligence.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-17-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Our oline was great run blocking, and so so pass blocking. We were constantly blitzed, and stunted. The incompetent OC, and a QB that could not set protections, and RBs, and TEs that could not pass block made them seem worse than they were. A RB that gained the least amount of yards after contact negated a top 5 yards until contact rating from the line.

Ferguson is a very good pass blocker, and a capable zone run blocker. Marty's scheme should suit him well. Sporano's did not, but he held up ok.

Colon is a tremendous upgrade if healthy. Moore was on his last legs, but average last year.

Winters is just the type of nasty to the whistle heavily tattooed player ever line needs one of. Hopefully he doesn't do too much after the whistle. He's the kind of tackle converted to guard which led me to say you don't draft guards in the first round.

Vlad was average pass blocking for a guard, and outstanding run blocking. People get so wrapped up in their emotions about players. I don't get it. He'll be fine if he plays.

Howard was an outstanding run blocker out of the gate, and improved his pass protection by leaps and bounds toward the end of the year. His awareness improved exponentially. I'm hoping for big things from him.

I think everyone knows about Mangold. Marty's blocking scheme should suit him to a tee. Under Sporano he was just very good. Not all world like we've been accustom to. The UDFA freeman should grab the backup center spot. We haven't had a true backup Center in a long time. This kid is pretty good.

Peterman, and Aboushi should make a nice pair of swing men. Oday could impress and eventually steal the right tackle spot. Then Howard could conceivably move inside and steal Vlad's job, or if God forbid Colon gets injured. Campbell hopefully learns quickly. He might stick on the active roster due to his versatility. He has a lot of raw talent, and intelligence.
    Thanks for the nice analysis. But I do believe Vlad will be cut as he is just a tree trunk with eyes IMHO.