Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: "Upgraded offensive line"

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Thanks for the nice analysis. But I do believe Vlad will be cut as he is just a tree trunk with eyes IMHO.

    LOL. The Haitian Treebeard:


  2. #22
    Jets need to sign Brandon Moore to a 1 year $3 mil deal like a month ago. Colon hasn't played a full season in forever and the guy they signed for depth Peterson is horrible - maybe worse than Ducasse.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Thanks for the nice analysis. But I do believe Vlad will be cut as he is just a tree trunk with eyes IMHO.
    one by one, the dead wood will be cut.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,810
    I think the general consensus is that while we don't know for sure that any specific lineman will work out, we brought in tons of options, both veteran and through the draft to replenish the line. When you consider how poorly certain members of the line played last year it seems likely this will be an upgrade. I feel much better about the line then I did before FA/the draft.

    Safety is the position I'm worried about right now.

  5. #25
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I think the general consensus is that while we don't know for sure that any specific lineman will work out, we brought in tons of options, both veteran and through the draft to replenish the line. When you consider how poorly certain members of the line played last year it seems likely this will be an upgrade. I feel much better about the line then I did before FA/the draft.

    Safety is the position I'm worried about right now.
    not to hijack this thread but i agree about the safety situation... i do not think mgmt is done adressing this situation.... hopefully after june cuts.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,159
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    one by one, the dead wood will be cut.
    What's your address? The Ents are on their way, led by the Haitian Treebeard. Ignore the Hobbits in the upper limbs.

  7. #27
    I'm with Buzz on this one.

    For as much as people are saying we've upgraded there sure are still a lot of questions surrounding the O line. No sure fire real McCoys here gentlemen.

  8. #28
    If he is healthy colon is a vastly more talented player then brandon moore and I dont mean that as a slight to moore who was a great player for us for a long time.

    I also always liked slauson, but he was limited in a lot that he could do - still id rather see him as a backup at guard/center then peterman.

    Personally I think we come out of camp with a depth chart of:

    LT: Brick/Oday
    LG: Winters/Peterman
    C: Mangold/Dalton Freeman
    RG: Colon/Peterman
    RT: Howard/Oday

    Campbell making the team, probably on the 53 as he may be tough to stash on the PS and then either schaulderaff or ducasse, with caleb probably winning out because at least you can trust that he wont be a complete disaster if he goes in.

  9. #29
    Our OL was good last year. I would say its upgraded in that we finally have depth on the line. We have a player to push Howard for the RT spot. We have competition at both OGs spot. We got more athletic at OG, especially over Slauson.

    I didn't see our OL as the problem last season, but we upgraded the depth which is important.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Been reading that a lot here lately. That it was "reinforced", "upgraded", etc. Not trying to be negative but just posing a question, is the line really upgraded from last year?

    Who do you guys see as the starting guards and RT?
    RT is going to be a year more experienced and in much better physical condition. He did pretty good considering the OG playing next to him was not good at all last year. he had no help from Moore at all.

    Colon is a talent! He can do it all at the RG position. Winters is a very good college OG with a nasty temperment. He should do well in the NFL. BUT we have other options if he fails. The guy we got from the Lions can play the run game very well. he is average in the pass game. Campbell might turn out to =be the most athletic OG we have. I also think that LANDOLT will finally find a home on our team. Schaluderaff is not bad at all as a backup. Oday can be the swing OT.

    Its not proven yet but I see promise in the OL we put together. Consistency is key with any OL. It takes time to gel. Patience is a virtue.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If he is healthy colon is a vastly more talented player then brandon moore and I dont mean that as a slight to moore who was a great player for us for a long time.

    I also always liked slauson, but he was limited in a lot that he could do - still id rather see him as a backup at guard/center then peterman.

    Personally I think we come out of camp with a depth chart of:

    LT: Brick/Oday
    LG: Winters/Peterman
    C: Mangold/Dalton Freeman
    RG: Colon/Peterman
    RT: Howard/Oday

    Campbell making the team, probably on the 53 as he may be tough to stash on the PS and then either schaulderaff or ducasse, with caleb probably winning out because at least you can trust that he wont be a complete disaster if he goes in.
    Dalton Freeman is an interesting story. He really seems to have caught REX's eye. He would be our only true backup center. I think Peterman is OK only in the run game. he is average in the pass game. If Campbell shows the athleticism he has , he could be the last guy on the roster and Peteramn gone. We do have experience with COLON and NICK & BRICK. Rookies can make the depth much better and Winters can be a starter. He is much better athlete then Slauson was and I liked the job Matt did. He did not have Winters nasty streak!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If he is healthy colon is a vastly more talented player then brandon moore and I dont mean that as a slight to moore who was a great player for us for a long time.

    I also always liked slauson, but he was limited in a lot that he could do - still id rather see him as a backup at guard/center then peterman.

    Personally I think we come out of camp with a depth chart of:

    LT: Brick/Oday
    LG: Winters/Peterman
    C: Mangold/Dalton Freeman
    RG: Colon/Peterman
    RT: Howard/Oday

    Campbell making the team, probably on the 53 as he may be tough to stash on the PS and then either schaulderaff or ducasse, with caleb probably winning out because at least you can trust that he wont be a complete disaster if he goes in.
    Colon cannot stay healthy ask any Steelers fan. Yes he is a good player and better than Moore when healthy but the guy has serious issues staying on the field. Peterman is horrible you guys have not seen him play yet. He single-handedly almost got Stafford killed a bunch of times and was ranked by a website as the worst pass protecting Guard in the NFL.

  13. #33
    Colon has missed two full seasons of the last three... That is not a good thing. Tore his achilles and missed all of 2010. Tore his tricep and missed all of 2011. The line play for Pittsburgh was unspectacular last year.

    Winters is a 3rd round pick who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL yet. He's got good potential, but until real time starts he's a questionmark.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Man, talk about beating your head against the wall! PFF, who I think are fairly well respected around here, they are by me, ranked our 2012 OLine #3 in the ENTIRE NFL! Everyone is still stuck in the turnstile 2011 era.

    I agree though that our vets were on the downslide and think the Idzik upgrades only solidify that top status. Our weakness last year was a crappy offensive coordinator and lack of weapons... and yes Mr. Sanchez's performance. But it wasn't the OLine that did him in.
    Who cares what a bunch of guys staring at a tv set says about a oline's performance. Football is not baseball not everything can be broken down by numbers and most of all oline play. Nobody in PFF knew what line call was made or what assignment any olinman had in the average NFL play. You watch the games, did you even think the jets were close to average never mind 3rd?

    Back to the OP, Colon played well in his year playing guard at Pitt and he should continue that with the jets. If Winters can make a smooth transition inside he will be a huge upgrade to to Slauson. Going out on a limb I think they will be better as a unit in the passing game than they will be in the running game. Colon lacks good feet to pull, and Winters may have some trouble in space with Lb during the transition. But both are tough guys who should hold up well in pass blocking. Howard should make an improvement with a year under his belt also. Mangold has to get in better shape. He was 300lbs coming out and he looked like he played at 330 last year, and looked too slow when he went looking for the MLB too often last year. He is going into his 8th year this year and is naturally slowing down due to age, he has to dump some of that weight to help him compensate. Overall I can't see how the line will not be an improvement over last years line.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    I'm with Buzz on this one.

    For as much as people are saying we've upgraded there sure are still a lot of questions surrounding the O line. No sure fire real McCoys here gentlemen.
    Like the avatar and the sig.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    RT is going to be a year more experienced and in much better physical condition. He did pretty good considering the OG playing next to him was not good at all last year. he had no help from Moore at all.

    Colon is a talent! He can do it all at the RG position. Winters is a very good college OG with a nasty temperment. He should do well in the NFL. BUT we have other options if he fails. The guy we got from the Lions can play the run game very well. he is average in the pass game. Campbell might turn out to =be the most athletic OG we have. I also think that LANDOLT will finally find a home on our team. Schaluderaff is not bad at all as a backup. Oday can be the swing OT.

    Its not proven yet but I see promise in the OL we put together. Consistency is key with any OL. It takes time to gel. Patience is a virtue.
    Brian Winters was a college tackle who like aboushi doesn't have the feet to play tackle in the NFL and will have to be a guard. Could be a very good one and there isn't anything wrong with that.

    Vlad Ducasse has abetter chance of making the jet roster than Landolt. There is just too many guards on Jet roster and this guy Landolt is what you call a journeyman olineman.

    The biggest challenge for the Jets oline will be finding that swing tackle. If Jets are counting on Aboushi, they will be in big trouble there. He just doesn't have the feet to play tackle and if yo0u try and force him there one of the Qbs will pay the price.

  17. #37
    it typically takes a few seasons for a line to really come together. less if a team has a passing offense. last season the jets had howard and a declining moore on the right side. not good. add that to an average slauson and some issues in the line coacing and it's a wonder they won six. still with all of those seemingly marginal players the oline was one of the better ones if you consider how long they held their blocks. sanchez and his indecision made the line look much worse than it was. this season they have upgraded the rg position and howard should be better. find a guy to take over slauson's spot and there will be no problems.

    it used to be that the beef was found in the later draft rounds. and if the jets become either a dominant passing or running team then they'll look that much better. and who knows, maybe sanchez will learn to throw the ball decisively.

  18. #38
    The O-line will likely struggle in the beginning of the season, but so will the whole offense. I think it will take a little time to realize who the best players are at guard, and then they need some time to play together as a unit.

    Realistically, this offense is going to stink until they get some more experience, and the O-line is just one piece of this rebuilding process. I am glad we are rebuilding from the inside-out. Once the O-line is steadied, we can add some more dynamic players on the perimeter.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    The O-line will likely struggle in the beginning of the season, but so will the whole offense. I think it will take a little time to realize who the best players are at guard, and then they need some time to play together as a unit.

    Realistically, this offense is going to stink until they get some more experience, and the O-line is just one piece of this rebuilding process. I am glad we are rebuilding from the inside-out. Once the O-line is steadied, we can add some more dynamic players on the perimeter.
    And they did it the right way IMO, They have the two most important pieces locked up in Dbrick and mangold. They let Howard get his feet wet during a lost season and now they drafted 2 guys in the middle rounds who may become starters at a cheap price tag. Then they signed a couple of cheap FA to hold the fort while those guys come around.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    it typically takes a few seasons for a line to really come together. less if a team has a passing offense. last season the jets had howard and a declining moore on the right side. not good. add that to an average slauson and some issues in the line coacing and it's a wonder they won six. still with all of those seemingly marginal players the oline was one of the better ones if you consider how long they held their blocks. sanchez and his indecision made the line look much worse than it was. this season they have upgraded the rg position and howard should be better. find a guy to take over slauson's spot and there will be no problems.

    it used to be that the beef was found in the later draft rounds. and if the jets become either a dominant passing or running team then they'll look that much better. and who knows, maybe sanchez will learn to throw the ball decisively.
    Very good point

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us