Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Garrard?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Garrard?

Our Jets have offered Garrard an interning coach in position. He's a class act and the perfect mentor for Geno. He can also help Sanchez out. Garrard was accurate and had some very productive seasons before injuries derailed him. He does the right thing off the field and is a true gentlemen. He seems to have enjoyed his brief time here. Come on how about it buddy?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great find. Nice to see Garrard has offered to help our Geno regardless of the situation. However, I really hope he takes us on our offer to coach he is a true pro and all our QBs can learn a great deal from him on how to conduct themselves on & off the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Garrard. He is a class act. I am sure he can bring a lot to the table.

I am just wondering if we have ever offered Chad a job? Or is this just a one-year thing b.c we have already paid Garrard so we might as well keep him around.

David Garrard's injured left knee will end his decade-long playing career, but the former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback could begin his coaching career with an internship with the New York Jets, reports Jim Corbett of the USA Today.

Garrard, 35, has not played in an NFL game since 2010. After being released by the Jaguars a week before the 2011 season, Garrard had surgery to repair a herniated disk, a procedure that ended his season. Garrard resurfaced with the Miami Dolphins last offseason, but injured his knee away from the field at the start of training camp and was released in September.

In March, the Jets signed Garrard to a one-year deal worth up to $1.35 million to compete for a spot on the 53-man roster. Garrard's left knee forced him to call it quits on Wednesday, but the Jets have provided him with an opportunity to return as a coach during this year's training camp.

"The Jets offered me the chance to come back if I want to take a shot at that coaching thing with an internship in training camp,'' said Garrard, whose wife recently gave birth to the couple's third child. "I told them I'd talk with my wife about it, so I could still work with those guys. "It's definitely something I'm considering.''

With Garrard out of the fold on the roster, 2013 second-round pick Geno Smith is expected to press the much-maligned incumbent Mark Sanchez for the starting role. Garrard said the battle will be fought during the preseason.

"If he [Sanchez] goes out there as the vet and gets back to just playing ball and not thinking too much on the field, he's going to make it tough on [the coaching staff],'' Garrard said. "It's up to those guys [Smith and Sanchez], the way they carry themselves and handle the offense, really putting points on the board and winning ballgames.
    "So when they get to the preseason, it's really going to show who should be the guy.''
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, sure....why not?

It worked out with Matt Cavanaugh, right? right?

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We paid the guy a $100,000.00 signing bonus to walk around the facilities for a month and half and throw a couple of passes in shorts.

He should feel obligated to show up at training camp to help out as a coach/intern.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    We paid the guy a $100,000.00 signing bonus to walk around the facilities for a month and half and throw a couple of passes in shorts.

He should feel obligated to show up at training camp to help out as a coach/intern.
    No, he had ZERO obligation to show up at training camp to help out. 100k is pocket change in the NFL.

How many NFL players get cut and never see the money they agreed to? How many players sign deals, play through injuries to help the team and then get cut the following season and never see the money they were promised? Does Woody still cut them a check because he feels bad?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about the Jets just go out and slowly bring in the right people for the right jobs... scouts, coaches, players, front office. Stop with the retreads, felons, and jokes like Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you watch the video at the bottom of the article it speculates that Garrard may not have even been in the top 3 going into the competition. Has Mark first, Geno coming up fast, and possibly McElroy ahead of Garrard.

Interesting.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    No, he had ZERO obligation to show up at training camp to help out. 100k is pocket change in the NFL.

How many NFL players get cut and never see the money they agreed to? How many players sign deals, play through injuries to help the team and then get cut the following season and never see the money they were promised? Does Woody still cut them a check because he feels bad?
    And how many players make $32 million over two years then threaten a holdout b/c they don't think they're getting paid enough......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how many players make $32 million over two years then threaten a holdout b/c they don't think they're getting paid enough......
    Very few. What does that have to do with it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not many.

This has what to do with Garrard?

And retiring due to injury?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good for Garrard. He is a class act. I am sure he can bring a lot to the table.

I am just wondering if we have ever offered Chad a job? Or is this just a one-year thing b.c we have already paid Garrard so we might as well keep him around.
    Valid point Chad deserves a job here and is not appreciated for all he did. Garrard we need you!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    If you watch the video at the bottom of the article it speculates that Garrard may not have even been in the top 3 going into the competition. Has Mark first, Geno coming up fast, and possibly McElroy ahead of Garrard.

Interesting.
    I highly doubt it. Problem is McElroy is brittle.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    I highly doubt it. Problem is McElroy is brittle.
    ?

Was not brittle in college. Played through some cracked ribs during the Championship game as a Junior. Freak thumb injury in pre-season 2011, could have happened to anyone. Concussion after being sacked 11 times by the Chargers last season.

I would hardly call that brittle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    ?

Was not brittle in college. Played through some cracked ribs during the Championship game as a Junior. Freak thumb injury in pre-season 2011, could have happened to anyone. Concussion after being sacked 11 times by the Chargers last season.

I would hardly call that brittle.
    tough, but brittle. keeps getting hurt. that's what brittle means.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    tough, but brittle. keeps getting hurt. that's what brittle means.
    He is tough & intelligent, but his body can't endure a full NFL season!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garrard has the demeanor & commands the respect to be a good coach. Where is he currently living and what is his home town. In other words will he be happy here?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Garrard had 2 complete seasons.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    David Garrard had 2 complete seasons.
    Am I missing something what is the relevance?