Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coach Garrard?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Garrard has the demeanor & commands the respect to be a good coach. Where is he currently living and what is his home town. In other words will he be happy here?
    He still lives in Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    We paid the guy a $100,000.00 signing bonus to walk around the facilities for a month and half and throw a couple of passes in shorts.

He should feel obligated to show up at training camp to help out as a coach/intern.
    The Jets paid 100k for draft smoke screen that saved a few million on a rookie QB

Would be interesting to see if Garrard takes the coaching opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    The Jets paid 100k for draft smoke screen that saved a few million on a rookie QB

Would be interesting to see if Garrard takes the coaching opportunity
    if he wants to be a qb coach or an oc one day, this is a good opportunity.

i'm probably in the vast minority with you that the whole Garrard will compete thing was indeed intended to match what the bills, cards and raiders did predraft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good for Garrard. He is a class act. I am sure he can bring a lot to the table.

I am just wondering if we have ever offered Chad a job? Or is this just a one-year thing b.c we have already paid Garrard so we might as well keep him around.
    Why can't anyone believe that maybe Chad just doesn't want to commit to a year round coaching gig? I would think knowing he has worked with our QBs from time to time that the Jets have his number, sounds like he's not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if he wants to be a qb coach or an oc one day, this is a good opportunity.

i'm probably in the vast minority with you that the whole Garrard will compete thing was indeed intended to match what the bills, cards and raiders did predraft.
    Agreed, have to consider the positive side with all of the Jets negativity in the press

Possible calculations when considering Garrard signing
    1. Reduce focus on Jets drafting a QB high in the Draft - this worked since mock drafts changed immediately and even Mayock said it was not going to happen 2 seconds before Geno was announced
    2. Rational personality to deflect from lightning rods 6 and 15
    3. Demonstrate the new "competition" culture
    4. Mark Brunell was missed, Garrard could be a good mentor
    5. Bonus - 10% chance Garrard is healthy enough to start the season

cost 100k compared to Kolb who was guaranteed $1 million by the Bills
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 05-19-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: remove double negative

Agreed, have to consider the positive side with all of the Jets negativity in the press

Possible calculations when considering Garrard signing
    1. Reduce focus on Jets drafting a QB high in the Draft - this worked since mock drafts changed immediately and even Mayock said it was not going to happen 2 seconds before Geno was announced
    2. Rational personality to deflect from lightning rods 6 and 15
    3. Demonstrate the new "competition" culture
    4. Mark Brunell was missed, Garrard could be a good mentor
    5. Bonus - 10% chance Garrard is healthy enough to start the season

cost 100k compared to Kolb who was guaranteed $1 million by the Bills
    yes. the one chance for error here, was if the jets didn't draft a qb and then Garrard couldn't play. if that happened the whole competition mantra goes out the window and we're all stewing here wondering why sanchez only has to beat out McElroy to play the entire season. if that scenario had played out, I wonder who else would be added, there's just nobody else.

yes. the one chance for error here, was if the jets didn't draft a qb and then Garrard couldn't play. if that happened the whole competition mantra goes out the window and we're all stewing here wondering why sanchez only has to beat out McElroy to play the entire season. if that scenario had played out, I wonder who else would be added, there's just nobody else.
    Good point, there was no good option in that scenario, could not have kept Tebow

Good point, there was no good option in that scenario, could not have kept Tebow
    the best answer I can give to that one is, the jets may not have traded for ivory, or used a 3rd rounder on a qb. can you imagine the media devouring the jets if they didn't draft a qb and then Garrard retires? idzik would be roasted daily.

the best answer I can give to that one is, the jets may not have traded for ivory, or used a 3rd rounder on a qb. can you imagine the media devouring the jets if they didn't draft a qb and then Garrard retires? idzik would be roasted daily.
    NY media is already roasting him, but I think the fans would have burned the fields at Florham Park if Mark was handed the job again as the only option, make me appreciate the 2013 season a little more since it really could be worse...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Eh, sure....why not?

It worked out with Matt Cavanaugh, right? right?
    This is nuts.

Take a guy who wasn't qualified to be a backup quarterback and make him a coach? Why not invite some fans to take some of these coaching jobs? The mop man at Show World, he's qualified too.

SAR I

There is none.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good idea

Let him do what he would have done anyhow

Mentor Smith and also work with Simms and McElroy, the Jets two other viable QB options for a decent 2013 season

And keep Smith as far away from Buttfumble6 so NONE of his godawful traits rub off and ruin things

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I love it...this can def have a nice effect on Gino.