View Poll Results: hich Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Kerley

5 13.51%
  • Stephen Hill

8 21.62%
  • Nick Mangold

5 13.51%
  • Austin Howard

5 13.51%
  • Other

14 37.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?

Which Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?

It is a question analyzing the discrepancy of the inflated opinion of certain Jets we have on this board. Which Jet player do you think signifies the biggest discrepancy between our opinion of him on this board, versus how good he really is and how he is perceived by other NFL fans?

1. Kerley- Good slot receiver. Elite #3 receiver. But it seems some fans on here think he is amazing and could be a great #2. But he doesnt seem to get open that much other than the 2 big plays he usually makes per game.

2. Hill- Couldnt catch a cold last season. Yet all I keep hearing is that he has all the talent in the world. Based on what?

3, Mangold- Still among the top at his position, but you would think reading on here his play hasnt declined at all in the last 2 seasons.

4. Howard- This to me is the most baffling one. I have read at least a few times on here that he was solid for us last year. He was solid the first 6 games, but after that I dont think he was any better than Hunter 2 seasons ago.

5. Other
    Last edited by jetglass; 05-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Cool thread bro

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Cool thread bro
    Thanks!

All Pro
    I guess we'll see once the season starts. Not sure the value of setting up a negative thread to get negative responses on a matter of speculation. Unless one is basically a negative poster. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post

It is a question analyzing the discrepancy of the inflated opinion of certain Jets we have on this board. Which Jet player do you think signifies the biggest discrepancy between our opinion of him on this board, versus how good he really is and how he is perceived by other NFL fans?

1. Kerley- Good slot receiver. Elite #3 receiver. But it seems some fans on here think he is amazing and could be a great #2. But he doesnt seem to get open that much other than the 2 big plays he usually makes per game.

2. Hill- Couldnt catch a cold last season. Yet all I keep hearing is that he has all the talent in the world. Based on what?

3, Mangold- Still among the top at his position, but you would think reading on here his play hasnt declined at all in the last 2 seasons.

4. Howard- This to me is the most baffling one. I have read at least a few times on here that he was solid for us last year. He was solid the first 6 games, but after that I dont think he was any better than Hunter 2 seasons ago.

5. Other
    1. Kerley - I agree he's a good slot receiver. But it's a chicken/egg scenario when it comes to the WRs on the Jets. Kerley was the #1 WR on the Jets last season because of injuries. His numbers were depressed by lack of alternative options (Keller missed have the season, and when he played wasn't 100%, and Holmes out after game 3), also by Sanchez being terribly inaccurate last season.

I'm not comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald, I'm well aware he's not in the same galaxy, but look at LF's numbers with a terrible QB and no support.

2. Hill is talented, but there's no question he has to step up this season. He was certainly not as good as what a 2nd round WR should be, I'd agree the board may be someone overly optimistic on him

3. I'm not sure what to say. He's not playing quite as well as two years ago, but he's been injured a bit. He's still top 2 at his position. He's a very good Center most NFL "experts" would consider him top level talent. The board does too

4. That's an odd review of Howard, because I felt, for the most part, the opposite was true. He was awful in the beginning of the season, but improved as the season went on. He had some bad games mixed in, but the reason for optimism was that he improved.

I think the Jets are a severely under talented team on the offensive side of the ball, if anything, the expectations for Ivory and Goodson are wildly optimistic. Any expectations for Cumberland, too.

Hall Of Fame
    This should go well.

I don't know if there is a single player that isn't either overrated or underrated by the fans. But we are fans and we don't need to get it right, the FO and coaches do.

No Jet exemplifies homerism than anybody who supports Mark Sanchez or thinks he can turn into anything at all.

The guy's best career year will go down as 2010. You heard it here first.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Cool thread bro
    Somebody had to say it.

All Pro
    Kerley

He's overrated by Jets fans. A solid player, but nothing special. His ceiling is Jerricho Cotchery.

He's still young. I hope he proves me wrong.

All Pro
    The fanbase is collectivley way too negative to be "homeristic" about any player.

Count me as one who "overrates" Kerley though. I think he's going to be a stud in this new offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Cool thread but how can Sanchez not be on this list?

The countless posts/threads crediting him for every win since he was named starter and maybe one loss says he's #1

Even before adding SARs idiotic trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    1. Kerley - I agree he's a good slot receiver. But it's a chicken/egg scenario when it comes to the WRs on the Jets. Kerley was the #1 WR on the Jets last season because of injuries. His numbers were depressed by lack of alternative options (Keller missed have the season, and when he played wasn't 100%, and Holmes out after game 3), also by Sanchez being terribly inaccurate last season.

I'm not comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald, I'm well aware he's not in the same galaxy, but look at LF's numbers with a terrible QB and no support.

2. Hill is talented, but there's no question he has to step up this season. He was certainly not as good as what a 2nd round WR should be, I'd agree the board may be someone overly optimistic on him

3. I'm not sure what to say. He's not playing quite as well as two years ago, but he's been injured a bit. He's still top 2 at his position. He's a very good Center most NFL "experts" would consider him top level talent. The board does too

4. That's an odd review of Howard, because I felt, for the most part, the opposite was true. He was awful in the beginning of the season, but improved as the season went on. He had some bad games mixed in, but the reason for optimism was that he improved.

I think the Jets are a severely under talented team on the offensive side of the ball, if anything, the expectations for Ivory and Goodson are wildly optimistic. Any expectations for Cumberland, too.
    For Howard, his standout game was shutting down Mario Williams in week 1. While his run blocking defenitely improved as the season went on, his pass blocking deteriorated and he defenitely gave up more sacks as the season progressed. I dont have a Pro football focus account but I remember seeing him as one of the worse rated RT last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The fanbase is collectivley way too negative to be "homeristic" about any player.

Count me as one who "overrates" Kerley though. I think he's going to be a stud in this new offense.
    Haha, true. But it was only a couple of years ago where the fanbase was collectively way too positive about any player.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO homerism smacks of Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

I think he can excel in the WCO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Kerley

He's overrated by Jets fans. A solid player, but nothing special. His ceiling is Jerricho Cotchery.

He's still young. I hope he proves me wrong.
    So the truth is, you don't have a clue...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The rookies. Every year after the draft people project 4-5 day 1 starters, and that they'll make a major impact. In reality it's a huge jump from college to the pro's and very few rookies make any impact year 1. Many turn out to be complete busts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The rookies. Every year after the draft people project 4-5 day 1 starters, and that they'll make a major impact. In reality it's a huge jump from college to the pro's and very few rookies make any impact year 1. Many turn out to be complete busts.
    Think this year is a little bit different: 1) we had a ton of holes prior to the draft so a bunch of rookies are going to end up starting no matter what 2) we had 3 picks in the first two rounds 3) Mike Tanenbaum and Terry Bradway - the worst talent evaluators in the NFL - weren't calling the shots.

Nothing outlandish or homer about saying guys like Milliner, Richardson, Winters and even Geno can start right away and be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post

5. Other
    how many games did you go to and watch live last year just curious