Cool thread bro
Which Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?
It is a question analyzing the discrepancy of the inflated opinion of certain Jets we have on this board. Which Jet player do you think signifies the biggest discrepancy between our opinion of him on this board, versus how good he really is and how he is perceived by other NFL fans?
1. Kerley- Good slot receiver. Elite #3 receiver. But it seems some fans on here think he is amazing and could be a great #2. But he doesnt seem to get open that much other than the 2 big plays he usually makes per game.
2. Hill- Couldnt catch a cold last season. Yet all I keep hearing is that he has all the talent in the world. Based on what?
3, Mangold- Still among the top at his position, but you would think reading on here his play hasnt declined at all in the last 2 seasons.
4. Howard- This to me is the most baffling one. I have read at least a few times on here that he was solid for us last year. He was solid the first 6 games, but after that I dont think he was any better than Hunter 2 seasons ago.
Last edited by jetglass; 05-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.
I guess we'll see once the season starts. Not sure the value of setting up a negative thread to get negative responses on a matter of speculation. Unless one is basically a negative poster. What's the point?
I'm not comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald, I'm well aware he's not in the same galaxy, but look at LF's numbers with a terrible QB and no support.
2. Hill is talented, but there's no question he has to step up this season. He was certainly not as good as what a 2nd round WR should be, I'd agree the board may be someone overly optimistic on him
3. I'm not sure what to say. He's not playing quite as well as two years ago, but he's been injured a bit. He's still top 2 at his position. He's a very good Center most NFL "experts" would consider him top level talent. The board does too
4. That's an odd review of Howard, because I felt, for the most part, the opposite was true. He was awful in the beginning of the season, but improved as the season went on. He had some bad games mixed in, but the reason for optimism was that he improved.
I think the Jets are a severely under talented team on the offensive side of the ball, if anything, the expectations for Ivory and Goodson are wildly optimistic. Any expectations for Cumberland, too.
This should go well.
I don't know if there is a single player that isn't either overrated or underrated by the fans. But we are fans and we don't need to get it right, the FO and coaches do.
No Jet exemplifies homerism than anybody who supports Mark Sanchez or thinks he can turn into anything at all.
The guy's best career year will go down as 2010. You heard it here first.
He's overrated by Jets fans. A solid player, but nothing special. His ceiling is Jerricho Cotchery.
He's still young. I hope he proves me wrong.
The fanbase is collectivley way too negative to be "homeristic" about any player.
Count me as one who "overrates" Kerley though. I think he's going to be a stud in this new offense.
Cool thread but how can Sanchez not be on this list?
The countless posts/threads crediting him for every win since he was named starter and maybe one loss says he's #1
Even before adding SARs idiotic trolling
IMO homerism smacks of Sanchez.
The rookies. Every year after the draft people project 4-5 day 1 starters, and that they'll make a major impact. In reality it's a huge jump from college to the pro's and very few rookies make any impact year 1. Many turn out to be complete busts.
Nothing outlandish or homer about saying guys like Milliner, Richardson, Winters and even Geno can start right away and be effective.