View Poll Results: hich Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Kerley

5 13.51%
  • Stephen Hill

8 21.62%
  • Nick Mangold

5 13.51%
  • Austin Howard

5 13.51%
  • Other

14 37.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Jet best exemplifies "homerism" on this board?

This sort of like asking who is the biggest cheater in cycling and leaving Armstrong's name off the list of who you can select... Very frustrating question due to the limited selections... but the answer is other or to be more specific...

SANCHEZ

All Pro

Jets Insider VIP
    DUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    IMO homerism smacks of Sanchez.
    You mean now that Schotty's gone, right?

All Pro
    4. Howard- This to me is the most baffling one. I have read at least a few times on here that he was solid for us last year. He was solid the first 6 games, but after that I dont think he was any better than Hunter 2 seasons ago.

If you guys watched any film, or knew what it is you were watching you wouldn't make such fools of yourselves.

This from PFF after week 13.

Austin Howard ó OT, New York Jets

Itís been a rocky season, to say the least, for New York Jets fans but one bright spot has been the play of right tackle Austin Howard in the past few weeks. Replacing the much maligned Wayne Hunter, who was traded to St. Louis, he struggled early in the year, with a beat down at the hands of Miamiís Cameron Wake a particular low point. Since then, however, his play has improved with just two negatively graded games in the past nine. During this stretch his pass blocking has improved and his run blocking is good enough to see him ranked fifth among right tackles in that aspect of his game.

While he has improved over this period, Sunday was the best performance of his career so far. With no pressure allowed, it marked his first ever game with a perfect Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 100.0. Thatís impressive, and not something to gloss over, but it was his run blocking that stood out once again. The team gained 58 of their 177 yards on the ground on runs either side of Howard as he routinely handled Arizona defensive end Darnell Dockett. On 1st-and-Goal with 53 seconds left in the third quarter, Howard pushed Dockett away from the play with ease, eventually blocking him to the ground. The Jets could be headed for an offseason of change, but Howard has shown himself worthy of a starting spot on that offensive line, and thatís not something I expected to be saying after three weeks of the season.

All Pro
    How does Sanchez exemplify homerism? Most of the fanbase is down on him and wants him replaced. There is a vocal minority that still supports him. Maybe I'm just completely off base, but that's my assessment from outside NY/NJ.

It's a good question but the choices are way off base.

Homerism applies to guys like D'Brick, McKnight (as a kick returner), Kyle Wilson, David Harris.

Nobody overrates Kerley, or Hill, if anything the former is way underrated and the latter is rated just about right.

Anyway my answer is David Harris. He gets a LOT of homer admiration, even though he runs like Kenrick Ellis nowadays.

Hands down it's Howard.

One of the worst pass blocking T's in the league - whooptie doo if he had a "nice" December against some poorus pass rushers. Solid against the run you say? Let's see how that holds up when Brandon Moore, the most under-rated RG in the NFL over the last decade, isn't next to him. Moore was one of the best run blockers in football, but it's a passing game now and he's in his mid30s', thus the lack of interest this offseason.

There's a reason the Jets spent three picks on OL. They know they have huge holes at both guard positions and RT. Colon is a nice one season quick fix, IF he can remain healthy. Winters will make a very good L or RG and Aboushi a RT. Campbell is the unknown. In a perfect world he's the next ... Brandon Moore.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Hands down it's Howard.

One of the worst pass blocking T's in the league - whooptie doo if he had a "nice" December against some poorus pass rushers. Solid against the run you say? Let's see how that holds up when Brandon Moore, the most under-rated RG in the NFL over the last decade, isn't next to him. Moore was one of the best run blockers in football, but it's a passing game now and he's in his mid30s', thus the lack of interest this offseason.

There's a reason the Jets spent three picks on OL. They know they have huge holes at both guard positions and RT. Colon is a nice one season quick fix, IF he can remain healthy. Winters will make a very good L or RG and Aboushi a RT. Campbell is the unknown. In a perfect world he's the next ... Brandon Moore.
    Learn how to count, then learn how to watch film...then post your observations.

Jets Insider VIP
    Chad "arm hanging by a thread" Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Hands down it's Howard.

Clueless

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    It's a good question but the choices are way off base.

Homerism applies to guys like D'Brick, McKnight (as a kick returner), Kyle Wilson, David Harris.

Nobody overrates Kerley, or Hill, if anything the former is way underrated and the latter is rated just about right.

Anyway my answer is David Harris. He gets a LOT of homer admiration, even though he runs like Kenrick Ellis nowadays.
    Really. This guy just picked out the few bright spots on the team. He needs to cut down the few players even the national media (which is biased against the Jets) is impressed with. This is the exact opposite of Homerism. I like to call it SOJFism. Whatever it is it's very sad, and apparently incurable. We should have a walk, and maybe sell green ribbons to raise money to find a cure. Maybe everyone in the league could wear green gloves, and cleats to raise awareness for these sorry souls...or to find their souls.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The fanbase is collectivley way too negative to be "homeristic" about any player.

Count me as one who "overrates" Kerley though. I think he's going to be a stud in this new offense.
    Agree. In this offense I think Kerely will fall into a category that is somewhere in between DeShawn Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

I think he can be better than Maclin but not as explosive as Jackson.

David Harris, by far. Some posters cling to the idea that he is a pro bowl level player, something that I have not seen in 2 years. Solid player against the run, but a liabilty in coverage and his side line to sideline movemant seems to be slowing

Jets Insider VIP
    I voted other meaning Sanchez. I want him to stay only to help develop Geno Smith. I think he is at the bottom of NFL QBs ....enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Learn how to count, then learn how to watch film...then post your observations.
    Learn how to count? Winters, Aboushi, Campbell. That's three. Campbell is being moved to OL, thus he counts as an OL. Add them with Ferguson and Mangold and that's 5. That's a line. If everything works out so long Howard (at least as a starter) after 2013. Bank on it.

And the day you tell me anything about football ... well .. that will be the day. But I'll let your preteen self believe what you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Clueless
    Yes you are if you think Austin Howard is some sort of stalwart or long term solution at RT.

4. Howard- This to me is the most baffling one. I have read at least a few times on here that he was solid for us last year. He was solid the first 6 games, but after that I dont think he was any better than Hunter 2 seasons ago.

If you guys watched any film, or knew what it is you were watching you wouldn't make such fools of yourselves.

This from PFF after week 13.

Austin Howard ó OT, New York Jets

Itís been a rocky season, to say the least, for New York Jets fans but one bright spot has been the play of right tackle Austin Howard in the past few weeks. Replacing the much maligned Wayne Hunter, who was traded to St. Louis, he struggled early in the year, with a beat down at the hands of Miamiís Cameron Wake a particular low point. Since then, however, his play has improved with just two negatively graded games in the past nine. During this stretch his pass blocking has improved and his run blocking is good enough to see him ranked fifth among right tackles in that aspect of his game.

While he has improved over this period, Sunday was the best performance of his career so far. With no pressure allowed, it marked his first ever game with a perfect Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 100.0. Thatís impressive, and not something to gloss over, but it was his run blocking that stood out once again. The team gained 58 of their 177 yards on the ground on runs either side of Howard as he routinely handled Arizona defensive end Darnell Dockett. On 1st-and-Goal with 53 seconds left in the third quarter, Howard pushed Dockett away from the play with ease, eventually blocking him to the ground. The Jets could be headed for an offseason of change, but Howard has shown himself worthy of a starting spot on that offensive line, and thatís not something I expected to be saying after three weeks of the season.
    Wow, 1 good game mixed in with many atrocious ones. Where did Pro Football Focus have him rated at the end of the season among right tackles in the league?

Really. This guy just picked out the few bright spots on the team. He needs to cut down the few players even the national media (which is biased against the Jets) is impressed with. This is the exact opposite of Homerism. I like to call it SOJFism. Whatever it is it's very sad, and apparently incurable. We should have a walk, and maybe sell green ribbons to raise money to find a cure. Maybe everyone in the league could wear green gloves, and cleats to raise awareness for these sorry souls...or to find their souls.
    Have you ever read the posts on here about Stephen Hill to not think he is overrated on the board? He flat out sucks and is a major bust. You heard me correctly, a bust after 1 season. Usually you cant make that determination after 3 seasons but you cant freakin teach a WR how to catch. Have him do all the machines all you want, you cant teach someone how to catch at this stage of their development. Run better and precise routes, yes, but not how to catch.