Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    The reality about semi automatic unloading is that mistakes are common. Lets say I am going to a a bad neighborhood and want to protect myself.
    - I could take my little 38 revolver. Easy to see how many rounds went in and easy to unload. 5 rounds max.
    - I could take my Glock which holds a 10 round mad. I have options.
    1) insert the mag, but leave the chamber empty. Easy to unload, but bad plan in an emergency.
    2) repeat 1 but load the weapon by working the action to load the pistol. I now have 9 in the mag + 1 in the chamber. If I want, I can drop the mag and top it off. I now have 10+1. When it is time to unload, i need to drop the mag + work the action to eject the round.

That final step is where people f-up. The leave the round in the action.
    In New Jersey a gun can be considered loaded even if there are no bullets in the chamber or a magazine in the gun. IF the magazine or bullets are easily accessible the gun can be considered loaded. The law states that if you are transporting your firearm in a vehicle, and the gun is in the passenger cabin of the vehicle, that it be in a lockable case and the ammo can not be in the passenger cabin along with the gun. If the gun is in the passenger cabin the ammo must be in the trunk.

So, if the gun and magazine were both in the car and not in the trunk, it can be considered a loaded weapon, and since they were not directly traveling to a gun range or were on their property the hollow point bullets were illegal. Hollow point bullets are not illegal in NJ, there is legal limited use for them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Goodson was a passenger in the car, not the driver. The driver received a DWI, not Goodson. A handgun was found in the car that contained a hollowpoint round. Could be the owner (probably the driver) forgot to check the gun to see that the last round was ejected because it was a semi-automatic and the rounds load automatically, even though you empty the gun there will still be one round in the chamber because they load automatically. You have to physically check the weapon to see that the last round is ejected after emptying it at the range. This kind of thing does happen from time to time. Not a good thing at all, but not uncommon. I do not think they were driving around with a fully loaded handgun, but rather there was a handgun in the car with a SINGLE ROUND in it that was not checked for and ejected at the firing range.

The alcohol thing? Hey... athletes party... Joe Namath partied his ass off, they all did and still do. I'm not gonna kill the guy for that.

So ultimately I don't think Goodson will receive any jail time because he wasn't driving the car, the gun probably wasn't his, and being a drunk passenger doesn't generally get you a jail sentence, all they can charge him with is public intoxication which is a misdemeanor and not very serious.
    None of that matters according to the gun laws in New Jersey.

Plus Goodson was charged with possession of marijuana under 50 grams, possession of paraphernalia, unlawful possession of a loaded handgun and possession of hollow-point bullets.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 05-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You were wrong, like usual, injuries derailed him, not ability.

Clown
    Why argue? No amount of rationale will change anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    None of that matters according to the gun laws in New Jersey.
    So if you're a passenger in a vehicle that belongs to the driver and the gun and the ammo belong to the driver and you have done nothing but sit in the stopped vehicle on the highway while intoxicated, have you committed a crime?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So if you're a passenger in a vehicle that belongs to the driver and the gun and the ammo belong to the driver and you have done nothing but sit in the moving vehicle, have you committed a crime?
    If it was known to the passenger that there was a gun in the car then yes he can be charged, which Goodson was, and if there is sufficient evidence that he knew the gun was there, he could be convicted.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Hey, good news!

We're only 20 months away from getting that 12th win you promised us last year.

Talk to me in 2015 when it happens.

SAR I
    You have the balls to call anyone out over their predictions?

You live the best fake life in that tiny brain, don't you?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Look at all these Cool-Aid drinkers spinning this incident. If Mike Goodson was playing for the Patriots will they spin the incident the same way? I doubted.
    Of course not, but Pats fans sure as hell would :-)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Goodson was a passenger in the car, not the driver. The driver received a DWI, not Goodson. A handgun was found in the car that contained a hollowpoint round. Could be the owner (probably the driver) forgot to check the gun to see that the last round was ejected because it was a semi-automatic and the rounds load automatically, even though you empty the gun there will still be one round in the chamber because they load automatically. You have to physically check the weapon to see that the last round is ejected after emptying it at the range. This kind of thing does happen from time to time. Not a good thing at all, but not uncommon. I do not think they were driving around with a fully loaded handgun, but rather there was a handgun in the car with a SINGLE ROUND in it that was not checked for and ejected at the firing range.

The alcohol thing? Hey... athletes party... Joe Namath partied his ass off, they all did and still do. I'm not gonna kill the guy for that.

So ultimately I don't think Goodson will receive any jail time because he wasn't driving the car, the gun probably wasn't his, and being a drunk passenger doesn't generally get you a jail sentence, all they can charge him with is public intoxication which is a misdemeanor and not very serious.
    You should be a defense lawyer.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Nope. I wanted any QB to replace Pennington because I knew he'd never cut it.

I was right.

SAR I
    An we cut him, an what does he do, Wins the AFC east championship, how, by kicking our asses.

Sorry, you were wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So if you're a passenger in a vehicle that belongs to the driver and the gun and the ammo belong to the driver and you have done nothing but sit in the stopped on the highway vehicle while intoxicated, have you committed a crime?
    Those things are very tricky when you have two people in a vehicle and contraband (drugs, guns, open containers, etc). The reality is that one of them might not have known that the gun was in the vehicle. There are plenty of guns that are easily concealed.

It could have been Goodson's, the driver's or both of theirs. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Nothing he says really matters to anyone but him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Mike Goodson has been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun. That carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 years in a state prison.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's almost 11:30, why is he still a jet?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Mike Goodson has been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun. That carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 years in a state prison.
    Damnnnnnmnnm

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If he shot himself in the leg maybe he could get a lighter sentence..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

You have NO Idea dude - really.

I've known Dcat, SAR, and Bob Jensen since the alt.sports.football.nyjets days, and SAR has only gotten WORSE with age.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtime Jets fan View Post
    You have NO Idea dude - really.

I've known Dcat, SAR, and Bob Jensen since the alt.sports.football.nyjets days, and SAR has only gotten WORSE with age.
    Well, let's see how well you're holding up when you're 96 years old, hater.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets don't need to wait to see if he's convicted on the gun charges to cut him. Just being in the car, with weed, so hammered that he had to be hospitalized, shows an amazing lack of judgement. How can they be sure that there won't be a repeat incident? This guy is a loser, cut him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta love that Steiny's breaking news while the guy who made fun of him from behind a fake account - DICK C. - is suspended at ESPN when the biggest police blotter story of the Jets offseason is breaking.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAR I
    Hey, good news!

We're only 20 months away from getting that 12th win you promised us last year.

Talk to me in 2015 when it happens.

SAR I

And you though we should have drafted Matt Leinhart

GFY
    Why do you guys feel it necessary to subject us to your off-topic adolescent squabbling? Are you that starved for attention? Are your families so fed up with your BS you have no where to go but here and derail discussions? Go to PM and leave us out of it please.