Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 873

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

  1. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    He was intoxicated, though. At least that's what I heard....




    An offense is still an offense. And an unwanted distraction.



    Don't worry, Billy. I, Mr. Idzik, will do my due diligence on the matter....

    Seriously, man. You don't have to try to convince me. I know the Jets will wait but man....Goodson may have just fubar'ed in BEING ASSOCIATED with "that person" who possibly owned that gun.

    But since we're playing with "What-if's" here....

    What if Goodson knew his "Friend" was packing heat?

    He was intoxicated, so what? I don't think we wanna cut every last player who gets drunk on Friday night do we? If so we're gonna be cutting half the players in the NFL. lol!

    Pot for personal use? Not a serious offense... This isn't 1965, it's 2013, people have lost their hysteria over pot.

    The gun is a serious problem but we still don't know who it belonged to. The district attorney hasn't formally charged anyone in relation to that yet. Goodson is considered innocent until the district attorney's office can prove him guilty. Being arrested on SUSPICION of something doesn't make you guilty of it. The district attorney isn't going to charge you with something unless he feels there's enough evidence to proceed, otherwise he's wasting public tax money. Also, if they charge Goodson and he's eventually found innocent but loses his NFL career as a result of the charges he can sue the State of New Jersey for his total potential lifetime NFL earnings! That would be millions of dollars New Jersey would have to fork over if they're wrong here.

    The district attorney has a lot to think about. If they charge Goodson and it turns out they were wrong to do so the State of New Jersey opens ITSELF up to a lawsuit... NOT A GOOD THING!

    Unless they have hard concrete evidence against Goodson they're gonna drop the charges against him, and if they do you just cut a player with a high upside for going out drinking on friday night...


    Jets need to just chill and see how this plays out.

  2. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    He was intoxicated, so what? I don't think we wanna cut every last player who gets drunk on Friday night do we? If so we're gonna be cutting half the players in the NFL. lol!

    Pot for personal use? Not a serious offense... This isn't 1965, it's 2013, people have lost their hysteria over pot.

    The gun is a serious problem but we still don't know who it belonged to. The district attorney hasn't formally charged anyone in relation to that yet. Goodson is considered innocent until the district attorney's office can prove him guilty. Being arrested on SUSPICION of something doesn't make you guilty of it. The district attorney isn't going to charge you with something unless he feels there's enough evidence to proceed, otherwise he's wasting public tax money. Also, if they charge Goodson and he's eventually found innocent but loses his NFL career as a result of the charges he can sue the State of New Jersey for his total potential lifetime NFL earnings! That would be millions of dollars New Jersey would have to fork over if they're wrong here.

    The district attorney has a lot to think about. If they charge Goodson and it turns out they were wrong to do so the State of New Jersey opens ITSELF up to a lawsuit... NOT A GOOD THING!

    Unless they have hard concrete evidence against Goodson they're gonna drop the charges against him, and if they do you just cut a player with a high upside for going out drinking on friday night...


    Jets need to just chill and see how this plays out.
    Great post

  3. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    He was intoxicated, so what? I don't think we wanna cut every last player who gets drunk on Friday night do we? If so we're gonna be cutting half the players in the NFL. lol!

    Pot for personal use? Not a serious offense... This isn't 1965, it's 2013, people have lost their hysteria over pot.

    The gun is a serious problem but we still don't know who it belonged to. The district attorney hasn't formally charged anyone in relation to that yet. Goodson is considered innocent until the district attorney's office can prove him guilty. Being arrested on SUSPICION of something doesn't make you guilty of it. The district attorney isn't going to charge you with something unless he feels there's enough evidence to proceed, otherwise he's wasting public tax money. Also, if they charge Goodson and he's eventually found innocent but loses his NFL career as a result of the charges he can sue the State of New Jersey for his total potential lifetime NFL earnings! That would be millions of dollars New Jersey would have to fork over if they're wrong here.

    The district attorney has a lot to think about. If they charge Goodson and it turns out they were wrong to do so the State of New Jersey opens ITSELF up to a lawsuit... NOT A GOOD THING!

    Unless they have hard concrete evidence against Goodson they're gonna drop the charges against him, and if they do you just cut a player with a high upside for going out drinking on friday night...


    Jets need to just chill and see how this plays out.
    Overstating things to a degree. Goodson wouldn't be able to sue simply by being found not guilty. He would have to prove malicious prosecution on the part of the district attorney.


    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #484
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,676
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    First of all, I'm not talking about the normal too-many-to-drive situations (which wasn't Goodson's case, so you're wrong).

    Secondly, in those situations how is it different than calling your own cab?

    How does the team provided service get paid?

    Now keep thinking it through ...
    Every player on the Jets is given a card with the name and number of the Jets security department on it. They are to call it anytime they get in a difficult situation. There is also a number for a 24 hour car service.

  5. #485
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    He was intoxicated, so what? I don't think we wanna cut every last player who gets drunk on Friday night do we? If so we're gonna be cutting half the players in the NFL. lol!

    Pot for personal use? Not a serious offense... This isn't 1965, it's 2013, people have lost their hysteria over pot.

    The gun is a serious problem but we still don't know who it belonged to. The district attorney hasn't formally charged anyone in relation to that yet. Goodson is considered innocent until the district attorney's office can prove him guilty. Being arrested on SUSPICION of something doesn't make you guilty of it. The district attorney isn't going to charge you with something unless he feels there's enough evidence to proceed, otherwise he's wasting public tax money. Also, if they charge Goodson and he's eventually found innocent but loses his NFL career as a result of the charges he can sue the State of New Jersey for his total potential lifetime NFL earnings! That would be millions of dollars New Jersey would have to fork over if they're wrong here.

    The district attorney has a lot to think about. If they charge Goodson and it turns out they were wrong to do so the State of New Jersey opens ITSELF up to a lawsuit... NOT A GOOD THING!

    Unless they have hard concrete evidence against Goodson they're gonna drop the charges against him, and if they do you just cut a player with a high upside for going out drinking on friday night...


    Jets need to just chill and see how this plays out.
    That's not true, not unless he was maliciously prosecuted without reason. No one would be prosecuted under your theory.

  6. #486
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    He was intoxicated, though. At least that's what I heard....




    An offense is still an offense. And an unwanted distraction.



    Don't worry, Billy. I, Mr. Idzik, will do my due diligence on the matter....

    Seriously, man. You don't have to try to convince me. I know the Jets will wait but man....Goodson may have just fubar'ed in BEING ASSOCIATED with "that person" who possibly owned that gun.

    But since we're playing with "What-if's" here....

    What if Goodson knew his "Friend" was packing heat?
    Not only that, the chances of him getting busted the first time are slim.

    He must be out partying with felons quite regularly, which is the bigger problem.

  7. #487
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    That's not true, not unless he was maliciously prosecuted without reason. No one would be prosecuted under your theory.
    I can imagine if Goodson prints aren't on the gun the DA will go after the driver with the priors.. And where was the gun found? Under the driver seat? Passenger, Ect plays a big role.. The police can just both of them but I can't see how the prosecutor can put both on trial for possession of a single gun.. the DA would be admitting they don't know who's it is that's why they are going after both..

  8. #488
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,181
    Professional athletes run both a greater and a lesser risk on these kinds of things. By now you can assume that the DA knows that all his legal ducks need to be in order because of the publicity surrounding this case and the knowledge that Goodson is going to have good legal representation. This puts him light years ahead of many other defendants in similar circumstances.

    On the other hand, publicity is a two-edged sword and if there is even a sniff that the DA is thinking about going more lightly that normal on the celebrity defendant then THAT story will become the bigger story. Everyone understands this. Before the age of the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle it might have been possible for the Jets to pull a few strings in aback room somewhere but that is not a realistic option here in 2013.

    The best that we can hope for is that the gun really did belong to the other party and/or that the other party is willing to stipulate to that in exchange for some other considerations (money or even competent legal counsel perhaps). Obviously such a stipulation would have to be plausible and it would need to sync up with the histroy of the gun itself. At that point if that happens then I think Goodson might get away with a slap on the wrist for the pot possession and we all breathe a giant sigh of relief.

  9. #489
    He should be cut, immediately. If not sooner.

    This kind of embarassment cannot and should not be tolerated.

    The Jets had better also have had a contract clause to cover this kind of stupidity that would allow them out of his salary and it's resultant cap hit (if possible).

    We don't need a player who engages in this type of activity.

  10. #490
    There's good arguments on both sides about whether or not to cut Goodson posthaste or to keep him on the roster.

    I keep coming back to one thought. Let's say we keep him. He's a featured part of our offense and the team is playing well. Now imagine he does something equally as dumb as this, say in week 10. He'll be gone from the team for sure and it will disrupt our offense, and perhaps any chance the team has of continuing to win games.

    That's why if were John I. I'd cut him loose and let Powell fill his shoes.

  11. #491
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Professional athletes run both a greater and a lesser risk on these kinds of things. By now you can assume that the DA knows that all his legal ducks need to be in order because of the publicity surrounding this case and the knowledge that Goodson is going to have good legal representation. This puts him light years ahead of many other defendants in similar circumstances.

    On the other hand, publicity is a two-edged sword and if there is even a sniff that the DA is thinking about going more lightly that normal on the celebrity defendant then THAT story will become the bigger story. Everyone understands this. Before the age of the Internet and the 24-hour news cycle it might have been possible for the Jets to pull a few strings in aback room somewhere but that is not a realistic option here in 2013.

    The best that we can hope for is that the gun really did belong to the other party and/or that the other party is willing to stipulate to that in exchange for some other considerations (money or even competent legal counsel perhaps). Obviously such a stipulation would have to be plausible and it would need to sync up with the histroy of the gun itself. At that point if that happens then I think Goodson might get away with a slap on the wrist for the pot possession and we all breathe a giant sigh of relief.
    That can't possibly be legal, can it? With the media all over this case Goodson's defense team would be insane to try something along these lines, no?

    I come down on the "cut him ASAP side" myself. Let him take his "hanging out with thugs from the old neighborhood" act on the road. We need to revamp the team image and it starts now.
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 05-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  12. #492
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    First of all, I'm not talking about the normal too-many-to-drive situations (which wasn't Goodson's case, so you're wrong).

    Secondly, in those situations how is it different than calling your own cab?

    How does the team provided service get paid?

    Now keep thinking it through ...
    Doesn't make a difference which driving situation you are talking about. Its he's drunk and needs a ride home. He's a driver coming to get a football player, not the cops.

    It different to call for a limo than flagging or calling a cab. And it's free, thats the point. It was probably bargained into the CBA by the union, you think they're going to allow this to work against the player? Really, have you paid attention to the power of a players association?

    The service is provided through the team or the NFLPA, who cares? They pay, they don't get an itemized bill listing all the crimes a driver thinks they may have committed. You think that a limo/taxi driver is capable of compiling info that could be used against a player just how? That a team or league could fine, suspend or cut a player on the word of a driver?????

    Teams want players to stay out of trouble, away from the law. Teams DON'T want their players suspended, fined etc, they want them on the field helping them win. Why the fu(k would they want to compile evidence to get their own players cut? Or to get injured or die in a car accident. Why would they create a system that players were afraid to call?


    Now you think it through, it's a very simple concept to understand.

  13. #493
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Every player on the Jets is given a card with the name and number of the Jets security department on it. They are to call it anytime they get in a difficult situation. There is also a number for a 24 hour car service.
    It's the "anonymous" part that I'm saying is bunk.

  14. #494
    If it's not his gun then this is no big deal. Why the **** would they cut him before knowing all the facts? Not to mention he got a million dollar bonus that he gets to keep if cut. The people saying to cut him now need to wake up.

  15. #495
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,181
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    That can't possibly be legal, can it? With the media all over this case Goodson's defense team would be insane to try something along these lines, no?
    Money for false testimony is absolutely not legal. Paying the defense lawyers for the other guy may make sense for the Jets in either event. Hopefully it is just encouraging him to tell the truth. If it did happen that the other guy cops to owning the gun then if that is not true it may be quite difficult to prove that he is lying.

  16. #496
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Doesn't make a difference which driving situation you are talking about. Its he's drunk and needs a ride home. He's a driver coming to get a football player, not the cops.

    It different to call for a limo than flagging or calling a cab. And it's free, thats the point. It was probably bargained into the CBA by the union, you think they're going to allow this to work against the player? Really, have you paid attention to the power of a players association?

    The service is provided through the team or the NFLPA, who cares? They pay, they don't get an itemized bill listing all the crimes a driver thinks they may have committed. You think that a limo/taxi driver is capable of compiling info that could be used against a player just how? That a team or league could fine, suspend or cut a player on the word of a driver?????

    Teams want players to stay out of trouble, away from the law. Teams DON'T want their players suspended, fined etc, they want them on the field helping them win. Why the fu(k would they want to compile evidence to get their own players cut? Or to get injured or die in a car accident. Why would they create a system that players were afraid to call?


    Now you think it through, it's a very simple concept to understand.
    Simple indeed - the players don't want the team to know they're out doing stupid sh!t at ridiculous hours.

    Which part of that do you not get?

    There's a big difference between having too much at dinner or getting into shady escapades with felons at 3AM.

  17. #497
    I cannot believe this thread is now on page 25. Scanning some of the posts is head shaking material. Some of you are actually making a case for this loser.

    "its just pot"

    "who doesnt drink on Friday night?"

    "they cannot prove who owns the gun"

    Reality check:

    As a professional athlete who represents the team (organization) they play for, you have an obligation to uphold your end of the bargain and part of that is being a RESPONSIBLE ADULT AT ALL TIMES!!

    Being drunk and high (which the last I checked is still illegal in Nj and against NFL rules), parking on Rt.80 and either owning a handgun or being in the car with a handgun, also hanging with a convicted felon is NOT RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR.

    This MF'er should have been kicked to the curb already. Stop making excuses for these losers who cant seem to get it right.

  18. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    That's not true, not unless he was maliciously prosecuted without reason. No one would be prosecuted under your theory.
    As if people aren't being maliciously prosecuted in the United States? Don't think so? Check this out...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ARwO7VqNQ



    If you don't think they'll use this football player to make a public statement about guns and/or drunk driving you're wrong...

  19. #499
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I cannot believe this thread is now on page 25. Scanning some of the posts is head shaking material. Some of you are actually making a case for this loser.

    "its just pot"

    "who doesnt drink on Friday night?"

    "they cannot prove who owns the gun"

    Reality check:

    As a professional athlete who represents the team (organization) they play for, you have an obligation to uphold your end of the bargain and part of that is being a RESPONSIBLE ADULT AT ALL TIMES!!

    Being drunk and high (which the last I checked is still illegal in Nj and against NFL rules), parking on Rt.80 and either owning a handgun or being in the car with a handgun, also hanging with a convicted felon is NOT RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR.

    This MF'er should have been kicked to the curb already. Stop making excuses for these losers who cant seem to get it right.
    Well said. Especially on the "being high" part. Recreational use of Pot is still illegal even though many here don't think it's a big deal. It makes the player look bad at the very least in a PR sense. We want the player to be known for his exploits ON THE FIELD OF PLAY, not off it.

  20. #500
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    45,078
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    As if people aren't being maliciously prosecuted in the United States? Don't think so? Check this out...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ARwO7VqNQ



    If you don't think they'll use this football player to make a public statement about guns and/or drunk driving you're wrong...
    Yet the Government can tap phones and spy on the people..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us