Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 873

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

  1. #581
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I never understand these "for all we know" posts. Pure speculation that generally paints a rosy picture. (Except in the case of Holmes and his cadaver leg)

    For all we know, he was huffing Gorilla Glue, drank a liter of Goldschläger and Mountain Dew, and stopped at home and grabbed the first piece off the top of his weapons and explosives stash, a fully automatic Uzi with the serial numbers filed off, and headed down Rte. 80 to take out all the 7-11s in Paterson.

    Then he decided to take a nap.
    Sadly, I agree with this.

  2. #582
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    According to reports Goodson was drunk out of his mind and the truck driver called police because he observed Goodson. For all we know he went to the bar with some friends got blasted was offered a ride and had a little marijuana with him but had no clue his friend had a gun in his car.

    What exactly does the "bolded" mean?


    Even if he was drunk off his mind, he was a PASSENGER, not the Driver. Why the hell would he call the police just because he saw Goodson being drunk?


    Makes no sense.....UNLESS he spotted them "lighting up" some joints.....

  3. #583
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Ignorance is no excuse, Magnus. It would not lessen the severity of the offense in any way.
    Irony?

  4. #584
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Irony?
    Magnus is Ignorant? Is that what you're saying? Imagine that....

  5. #585
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Magnus is Ignorant? Is that what you're saying? Imagine that....
    Oh I'm ignorant? Who was the douche calling Sanchez a franchise QB and who was the one calling him a terrible QB as far back as 3 years ago? Oh yea right.

  6. #586
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    This article explains why Goodson was not released yet.



    Goodson’s first hearing conflicts with Jets’ minicamp



    Jets running back Mike Goodson faces gun and drug charges that could, under the weapons portion of the case, put him behind bars for a mandatory minimum sentence of three years.

    For the Jets, the challenge becomes what to do with Goodson while the court process plays itself out.

    On Monday, owner Woody Johnson tiptoed around the crux of the problem. If they cut Goodson now, he walks away with a $1 million signing bonus that can’t be recovered. They can get some of the money back, and in turn can obtain cap relief, only if they let the process play out.

    The key date in the process comes on June 12, when Goodson will have a pre-trial hearing. As pointed out by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, that falls in the middle of the team’s mandatory minicamp. If Goodson misses practice to attend the hearing, the Jets could penalize Goodson, at a minimum with a fine.

    The problem for the Jets would be the plain language of Article 4, Section 9 of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement. While the revised terms expand the situations in which all or a portion of a player’s signing bonus can be recovered, the provision makes no reference to partial reimbursement arising from a missed mandatory minicamp practice. Instead, the forfeiture process begins in training camp, and applies more forcefully in the regular season.

    But the Jets can’t recover money from Goodson unless he’s still on the roster. That’s why the Falcons never released Mike Vick after he was incarcerated for dogfighting in 2007; to recover bonus money paid to Vick (and to get the cap credit that goes along with it), the Falcons had to hold their nose and refrain from cutting Vick.

    For the Jets, the far better approach to the Goodson conundrum would be to stop channeling Clark Kent and explain in blunt, candid terms that there’s only one way to make a player answer financially for off-field misconduct — by keeping him on the roster while the legal process unfolds
    .

    Of course, that kind of candor could open the Jets up to criticism that they’re more concerned about money than doing the right thing. But if the plan will be to keep Goodson around in order to eventually recover money from him, why not remove the confusion regarding the reason for not cutting him loose?

  7. #587
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Oh I'm ignorant? Who was the douche calling Sanchez a franchise QB and who was the one calling him a terrible QB as far back as 3 years ago? Oh yea right.
    Certainly not me, if that's what you're implying.

    Although there were a good number who were FOOLED by him due to the TEAM'S Overachievement in 2010(if you can call it that).

  8. #588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Ignorance is no excuse, Magnus. It would not lessen the severity of the offense in any way.
    Oh yes it will. You do realize if it is determined the gun wasn't his and he wasn't aware of it all the weapons charged will be dismissed and he will only get a slap on the wrist for the less then 50 grams of marijuana right? Jets would then be prevented from cutting him unless they want to write him a check for one million dollars.

  9. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Yeah, whatever, DEMOCRAT
    Ouch. I know when I've been pwned.


  10. #590
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Oh yes it will. You do realize if it is determined the gun wasn't his and he wasn't aware of it all the weapons charged will be dismissed and he will only get a slap on the wrist for the less then 50 grams of marijuana right? Jets would then be prevented from cutting him unless they want to write him a check for one million dollars.
    Well, in the eyes of the law, I suppose that's possible. But it still wouldn't lessen the severity of the offense in the eyes of the league or specifically Roger Goodell.

    You are also assuming a lot of "IFS" when it comes to Goodson. He was likely told with no uncertain terms that he may actually have to change who he hangs out with when he was drafted. To my knowledge, they go through all of that in rookie symposiums.

    I live the same society he does. I know enough to stay away from people that you even suspect might put you in a bad predicament. You probably know that also. The vast majority of americans know that and practice that each and every day.

    So if he has a good lawyer he might get away with something in the courts. But in the eyes of the public or the league that won't fly.

  11. #591
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, in the eyes of the law, I suppose that's possible. But it still wouldn't lessen the severity of the offense in the eyes of the league or specifically Roger Goodell.

    You are also assuming a lot of "IFS" when it comes to Goodson. He was likely told with no uncertain terms that he may actually have to change who he hangs out with when he was drafted. To my knowledge, they go through all of that in rookie symposiums.

    I live the same society he does. I know enough to stay away from people that you even suspect might put you in a bad predicament. You probably know that also. The vast majority of americans know that and practice that each and every day.

    So if he has a good lawyer he might get away with something in the courts. But in the eyes of the public or the league that won't fly.
    So you think if the legal process determines he did not own the gun and did not have knowledge of its presence in the car (which is what determines the possession charge apparently) and determines he is innocent (if the charges are not dropped and it actually goes to trial) the NFL should still proceed as if he actually was guilty and suspend him by virtue of unknowingly being near someone else's gun?

    You also realize he's not been a rookie for 4 years now, right? So I don't know why you keep bringing up what the Panthers might have told him 4 years ago.

  12. #592
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, in the eyes of the law, I suppose that's possible. But it still wouldn't lessen the severity of the offense in the eyes of the league or specifically Roger Goodell.

    You are also assuming a lot of "IFS" when it comes to Goodson. He was likely told with no uncertain terms that he may actually have to change who he hangs out with when he was drafted. To my knowledge, they go through all of that in rookie symposiums.

    I live the same society he does. I know enough to stay away from people that you even suspect might put you in a bad predicament. You probably know that also. The vast majority of americans know that and practice that each and every day.

    So if he has a good lawyer he might get away with something in the courts. But in the eyes of the public or the league that won't fly.
    I live the same society too. We all do. Living the society is one of life's great joys.

    Please go moralize (giving you the benefit of the doubt) somewhere else. Nobody cares about how sad you will feel rooting for a team with Goodson on it if that's how the process plays out. Yes, yes, you're a special snowflake and you deserve a team filled with choirboys you can root for wholeheartedly. But lets get a grip here. Goodson didn't harm anyone, didn't steal from anyone, didn't damage anything. What he did was wrong - but acting like the team is employing a horrible human being because the guy had a gun (irony again), assuming it was his, and got drunk and high, is ludicrous.

    It's not like he killed a defenseless animal for sport and posed with the carcass, after all.

  13. #593
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So you think if the legal process determines he did not own the gun and did not have knowledge of its presence in the car (which is what determines the possession charge apparently) and determines he is innocent (if the charges are not dropped and it actually goes to trial) the NFL should still proceed as if he actually was guilty and suspend him by virtue of unknowingly being near someone else's gun?

    You also realize he's not been a rookie for 4 years now, right? So I don't know why you keep bringing up what the Panthers might have told him 4 years ago.
    You're talking to someone who insisted that McKnight would never play a useful down in the NFL and should be cut because he threw up at minicamp. Just keep that in mind as you try to parse the "logic".

  14. #594
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Oh yes it will. You do realize if it is determined the gun wasn't his and he wasn't aware of it all the weapons charged will be dismissed and he will only get a slap on the wrist for the less then 50 grams of marijuana right? Jets would then be prevented from cutting him unless they want to write him a check for one million dollars.
    +1. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but ignorance of facts is an absolute defense to crimes like possession.

    If I go to the bank and open the door for a girl exiting, I am not guilty of aiding and abetting unless I knew she was robbing the bank.

    On possession cases, you are not guilty unless you know (or reasonably should know) that you have the prohibited item. Otherwise, the ups driver would be guilty of possession every time someone ships weed by ups. Otherwise, a bus driver would be in "Possession" of every gun that comes aboard his bus. If your cabbie is packing heat, are you in possession as well?

    If he was a passenger in a buddy's car and the gun was in the glove box, how would he know?

  15. #595
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I live the same society too. We all do. Living the society is one of life's great joys.

    Please go moralize (giving you the benefit of the doubt) somewhere else. Nobody cares about how sad you will feel rooting for a team with Goodson on it if that's how the process plays out. Yes, yes, you're a special snowflake and you deserve a team filled with choirboys you can root for wholeheartedly. But lets get a grip here. Goodson didn't harm anyone, didn't steal from anyone, didn't damage anything. What he did was wrong - but acting like the team is employing a horrible human being because the guy had a gun (irony again), assuming it was his, and got drunk and high, is ludicrous.

    It's not like he killed a defenseless animal for sport and posed with the carcass, after all.
    Classic!

  16. #596
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    It took you all day/night to come up with that retort?

    When you can't follow a single point in a discussion, call the other person "stupid" and tell him to "give it up" when you already lost.
    It wasn't a single point, you're dumb as sh1t.

  17. #597
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    It wasn't a single point, you're dumb as sh1t. :
    Your harassment of other posters is crossing the line.

    Cut it out.

    SAR I

  18. #598
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Your harassment of other posters is crossing the line.

    Cut it out.

    SAR I
    SAR I for Mod!



    ......where 1+1=3

  19. #599
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I live the same society he does..
    You live in East Bum**** Maine.

  20. #600
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    SAR I for Mod!

    ......where 1+1=3
    Mod nothing. I'm going to buy the place.

    And when I do, you can look forward to these exciting changes:

    1. The Blind Homer Cult members will be deleted.

    2. The Ebonic College Student(s) will be deleted.

    3. TX and all other impartial non-Jets fans to be reinstated and embraced.

    4. All the young-buck mods will be relieved of their duties so they can go back to being the great posters they used to be.

    5. The Hangar will be deleted, OT threads allowed on the LS.

    6. Jetswin, Crasherino, and Buzzsaw to be paid for their mod services, also given bonuses based on reasonable and attainable traffic and revshare goals.

    7. VIP membership fees reduced to $19.99 to encourage participation.

    Those are just a few of the improvements, will publish more when the business plan is complete.

    SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 05-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us