Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    It has not been reported anywhere that the gun was sitting right there in the open slick.

All we know is that the weapon was found - we don't know where it was found in the vehicle or how exactly the trooper came across it. What we do know is that it wasn't found in either individual's physical possession and that the driver claimed ownership of it.

Nice try though.

Again - $100 bucks says Goodson doesn't get convicted on the possession of a weapon charge.

Put your money where your mouth is, all you have to do is grab your balls and man-up.
    He's saying hypothetically. You said he would have had to admit to knowing about the gun, which is not true. The position of the gun could be used to infer knowledge.

And, I haven't seen anybody yet in this thread that thinks he will get convicted of the gun charges. Good luck getting somebody to take that bet.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    The highlighted part is wrong as well. If the gun was sitting right there in the open, then it doesn't matter if Goodson admits to knowing about it. It can be inferred, by the fact that it was clearly visible, that Goodson must have been aware of it's existence.
    The guy wasn't aware he was parked in the middle of the interstate. You'd have a tough time convincing a jury he was aware of his own existence.

No evidence? No care.

PHARAOH, PHARAOH!! LET MIKE PEOPLE GO!

IF THE GLOVE DON'T FIT, YOU MUST ACQUIT!

you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    He's saying hypothetically. You said he would have had to admit to knowing about the gun, which is not true. The position of the gun could be used to infer knowledge.

And, I haven't seen anybody yet in this thread that thinks he will get convicted of the gun charges. Good luck getting somebody to take that bet.
    If Goodson was incoherently drunk, would it really matter if the gun was in "plain view"? Wouldn't his extreme level of intoxication impair his ability to have "knowledge" of the gun's presence at the moment?

The gun possession charges will almost assuredly be dismissed.

This will wind up a marijuana possession conviction for Goodson after all is said and done. I expect the same penalty that Shaun Ellis got. (Same county)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

It has not been stated anywhere, in any article that I have read that the gun was found right out in the open.

In light of that, the only other way to prove knowledge would be if Goodson admitted to knowing that the gun was in the car.

I don't even think Goodson will be indicted, no less convicted.

As far as the possession of a weapon charge goes, this is an extremely weak case against Goodson.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It has not been stated anywhere, in any article that I have read that the gun was found right out in the open.

In light of that, the only other way to prove knowledge would be if Goodson admitted to knowing that the gun was in the car.

I don't even think Goodson will be indicted, no less convicted.

As far as the possession of a weapon charge goes, this is an extremely weak case against Goodson.
    Perfectly reasonable - I agree.

Although, if his buddy were to testify that Goodson knew about the weapon (perhaps because he's seen him take it out of the glove compartment several times in the past), that would also demonstrate knowledge. I'm not suggesting that is present here, just a possibility.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Dude, settle down. I was responding to your post where you said:

The charge is " illegal possession of a firearm". There is no separate charge of "illegal CONSTRUCTIVE possession of a firearm". Whether possession is constructive or actual is irrelevant - the charge is the same.
    Poor choice of words on my part.

They are covered under the same statute as you pointed out. My point was that there are different facts that must be proved & articulated upon to support either possession or constructive possession. For example - How the gun was first discovered in the vehicle, Was it in plain view or concealed somewhere? Was it in a locked glove compartment or was it under the seat? Was the gun's proximity in the vehicle closer to the driver or the passenger?

The arresting officer's affidavit (or arrest report if you will) has to specify somewhere in the narrative whether the subject was in physical possession of the weapon or if he simply knew the gun was there and had access to it - even though the statute number is the same, the distinction between possession & constructive possession still has to be made & documented in the arrest affidavit. That was my point.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.

All League
    hype. oh. thetical.

Anyways; if we all agree, than why are we arguing?

hype. oh. thetical.

Anyways; if we all agree, than why are we arguing?
    Because it's JI. Unwritten law: Argue with everything if possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Perfectly reasonable - I agree.

Although, if his buddy were to testify that Goodson knew about the weapon (perhaps because he's seen him take it out of the glove compartment several times in the past), that would also demonstrate knowledge. I'm not suggesting that is present here, just a possibility.
    That's a fair point.

I would think Goodson's friend would have enough street smarts not to put him in that position.

From my experience, when the driver claims ownership of a gun in a vehicle, 9 times out of 10, the very next thing the driver will say is the passenger or passengers didn't know about it.

Of course, that's just me speculating out loud.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-14-2013 at 09:27 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    If Goodson was incoherently drunk, would it really matter if the gun was in "plain view"? Wouldn't his extreme level of intoxication impair his ability to have "knowledge" of the gun's presence at the moment?
    (Same county)
    matter for the trier of fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Because it's JI. Unwritten law: Argue with everything if possible.
    LOL, ain't that the truth.

All League
    Charter JI Member

This right here....

This whole "debate" started when it was announced that the driver claimed ownership of the gun.

Some posters then assumed that because of the driver's admission the gun charges will be dropped.

I responded that this was "not necessarily true" b/c the prosecutor had that info from the get go and still filed the charges:

Not necessarily true.....

The prosecutor/DA obviously had a copy of this police report when charges were filed, but still filed gun charges against Goodson, despite the driver claiming ownership.

Doesn't sound to me like the Prosecutor/DA is just gonna drop the charges because the driver claimed ownership.....
    No one ever said he was going to be convicted.

But now we are at the GJ stage....which could go on for months....so Goodson isn't exactly out of the woods just yet.

42 pages of discussion, and people wonder why the world needs and yet hates lawyers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    42 pages of discussion, and people wonder why the world needs and yet hates lawyers.
    Lawyers are nothing more then overpaid legal secretaries.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Did you guys forget, or not know this? Goodson was NOT driving!

He was a passenger.

Stupid to be out getting that shlthoused when you make that kind of money, but, really... Who here has never gotten drunk and passed out in a friend's car?

Anyone? (I probably won't even believe you if you deny it, unless your a 12 year old Tebowite)

The Hangover

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Did you guys forget, or not know this? Goodson was NOT driving!

He was a passenger.

Stupid to be out getting that shlthoused when you make that kind of money, but, really... Who here has never gotten drunk and passed out in a friend's car?

Anyone? (I probably won't even believe you if you deny it, unless your a 12 year old Tebowite)
    The best bachelor party was my own. I passed out at the Limo and woke up at my friends couch. Fun night. We were all laughing at the end as everyone was trying to put the pieces together of what had happened after the strippers were playing hide the double edge dildo. Anyhow, none of my friends brought lethal weapons. Anyways, I digress.

In the end Mr. Goodson will most likely make an application for pretrial intervention and not have to make a plea of guilt. He will be put on a one or two year probation where the charges shall be dismissed. He may want to see what the grand jury finds first but it's up to him and his lawyer to figure out his legal strategy. I am a little more interested in the drug charge to see its going to be a conditional discharge or if it is going to be tried in court.

hype. oh. thetical.

THANK YOU Stanner. Amazing to see that this actually had to be explained.

What's the delay, aren't grand jury findings returned quickly? Like the next day?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    What's the delay, aren't grand jury findings returned quickly? Like the next day?
    Not at all.

It could go on for weeks....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-14-2013 at 08:47 PM.