Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    According to a cop friend of mine if both deny the gun is their's the one who is the car owner will get charged unless they can check to see who the gun was sold to or if one of them had a carry permit.. Since it was probably bought on the street I doubt that will happen..
    The cops will also check for ballistics for possible prior use in a crime, prints and DNA traces. Because a guy has a carry permit does not put the gun in his possession. Most permits list the weapons a guy can carry. I am positive there is evidence that we do not know about. Besides if anyone had a carry permit, where is the crime? They would be entitled to carry the gun unless.......I think there is a lot we do not know and I still support - innocent until proven guilty.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The cops will also check for ballistics for possible prior use in a crime, prints and DNA traces. Because a guy has a carry permit does not put the gun in his possession. Most permits list the weapons a guy can carry. I am positive there is evidence that we do not know about. Besides if anyone had a carry permit, where is the crime? They would be entitled to carry the gun unless.......I think there is a lot we do not know and I still support - innocent until proven guilty.
    I agree KJ..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking about the situation we have for a second. I know it is easy to pin the Irvington roots as the connection Goodson has to the criminal friend, but think a little further before flat out declaring him guilty (and this is just am exercise, he may very well be guilty). Goodson went to two different high schools in Texas- so by age 13 he was already out of NJ. He went to college in the South as well. He was drafted by Carolina, then picked up by Oakland. His return to NJ has come almost 10 years since leaving Irvington. Now sure, he could have maintained contact, but we are talking about relationships being built in early childhood that would have resurfaced. Or, second scenario, this driver was from some circle maybe that was acquainted with his professional life. Either way, he has only been a resident of NJ for what, three months? The weapon was illegally obtained, but are we to believe that one of Goodson's first priorities was to obtain an illegal firearm? If so, is he fearing retaliation from someone? So either, the gun is not his, leaving him with a small amount of weed which is not a real character issue, OR, he felt he needed a firearm ASAP, which is troubling.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    It is highly unlikely any of them had a carry permit in NJ. It is difficult to get a carry permit in NJ unless you use a gun in the course of your employment. Just because you have a firearms ID card in NJ, does not mean you can drive around with handguns in your car. There are strict laws in terms of when and how you can transport a handgun in NJ. I highly doubt they can say they were on their way home from a gun club or target range at the time they were stopped passed out on RT. 80.

My guess is that given how long it is taking in determining who actually owns the gun, that neither Goodson or the driver owned the gun legally, and that the gun is not registered at all.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 05-18-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ConorTOrr: One thing here: Courts are wary of possibility that athlete would pay off other party to take ownership. There are provisions in place.

@ConorTOrr: Hearing that no determination has been made yet on ownership of the gun in Goodson's case. Will be a big hurdle early next week. #nyj

@ConorTOrr: Our updated story on Goodson, with some analysis from a criminal defense expert #nyj | http://t.co/dzUHVmCNek

Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested early Friday morning and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a loaded handgun, possession of hollow-point ammunition, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia following a bizarre traffic stop in Morris County that could result in prison time for Goodson.

Goodson was the passenger in a gray GMC Yukon SUV that was stopped in the left-center lane of Rt. 80 westbound in Denville just after 3 a.m., police said. A driver in a tow truck approaching the vehicle called 911, causing an ambulance to be sent to the car.

Police said Goodson, 25, and the driver, 31-year-old Garant Evans of Roselle, were intoxicated and that Goodson required medical attention at a nearby hospital.

After searching the car, police discovered that Goodson, who was born in Irvington, was in possession of a small amount of marijuana.

Additional amounts of the drug were discovered in the car, police said, on top of a more troublesome discovery: A loaded .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun, according to a release sent out by the State Police.

The gun was loaded with at least one hollow-point bullet, a police spokesman said. Neither Goodson nor Evans claimed to be the owner of the gun, and as of Friday night, police said they were still searching gun registries to determine the owner.

When reached for comment, a Jets team spokesman said: "This is a pending legal matter. There will be no further comment until the legal process has run its course."

An NFL spokesman said the incident would be reviewed under league policies.

Goodson was being held at Morris County Jail. His bail was set at $50,000.

Goodson signed a three-year, $6.9 million deal with the Jets on March 15 and is the third member of the team to be arrested in the past month. Claude Davis and Cliff Harris, both on reserve/future deals, were arrested in Morristown on April 29 and charged with possession of marijuana. They were released by the team a day later.

Because the marijuana was less than 50 grams, the penalties for the drugs will likely not be serious for Goodson, said Miles Feinsten, a criminal defense attorney and former president of The Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey.

The gun charge, however, could land Goodson in prison if convicted.

"If he has to plead guilty to possession of a handgun, or possession of a loaded handgun, thatís covered by The Graves Act," said Feinsten, speaking about a law that requires "minimum term of imprisonment and parole ineligibility for certain gun-related crimes."

"That carries a minimum, mandatory three years in a New Jersey State Prison," Feinsten said. "It could be even harsher than (the penalty levied to former Giants wide receiver) Plaxico Burress in New York. This is three years."

Burress accepted a two-year plea deal in 2009, stemming from a 2008 incident.

Feinsten said there is a possibility the charges could be amended by the prosecutor, although the state takes gun-related crimes very seriously.

Goodson was looked at as a steal by the Jets in free agency. The team coveted his explosive potential and 6.3 yards-per-carry average. In an attempt to remake their sputtering offense under new coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Goodson had been seen as a key cog alongside former Saints running back Chris Ivory.

Evans had a prior felony conviction. He faces the same charges as Goodson, in addition to DWI, traffic summonses and possession of a weapon with a prior felony conviction. He is being held on $150,000 bail.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    The reality about semi automatic unloading is that mistakes are common. Lets say I am going to a a bad neighborhood and want to protect myself.
    - I could take my little 38 revolver. Easy to see how many rounds went in and easy to unload. 5 rounds max.
    - I could take my Glock which holds a 10 round mad. I have options.
    1) insert the mag, but leave the chamber empty. Easy to unload, but bad plan in an emergency.
    2) repeat 1 but load the weapon by working the action to load the pistol. I now have 9 in the mag + 1 in the chamber. If I want, I can drop the mag and top it off. I now have 10+1. When it is time to unload, i need to drop the mag + work the action to eject the round.

That final step is where people f-up. The leave the round in the action.

That's exactly right... So it's not "sheer nonsense" as the other poster conveyed, it's actually quite common for someone to forget there's still a round in the chamber after ejecting the magazine. It's a little something that could end tragically if you pick the gun up a week later not realizing that you didn't eject the chambered round and pull the trigger thinking it was empty.

All I'm saying is that could be the case here, being that the article says they found ONE hollowpoint round in the vehicle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I find disturbing about the New Jersey State law (and maybe even the New York State law too) is that having an unregistered firearm in your car automatically makes you the owner of it...

What this means is, if someone really wanted to mess you up and get you thrown in jail all they have to do is place an unregistered handgun (maybe even one used in a crime) in your car somewhere without your knowledge! Think about it, all someone has to do is slip an unregistered handgun with a couple of rounds in it under your seat and YOU ARE TOAST! How are you gonna know it's there? How often do you look under your car seat? I personally never have.

New Jersey needs to change that law because it sounds really wrong to me...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    One thing I find disturbing about the New Jersey State law (and maybe even the New York State law too) is that having an unregistered firearm in your car automatically makes you the owner of it...

What this means is, if someone really wanted to mess you up and get you thrown in jail all they have to do is place an unregistered handgun (maybe even one used in a crime) in your car somewhere without your knowledge! Think about it, all someone has to do is slip an unregistered handgun with a couple of rounds in it under your seat and YOU ARE TOAST! How are you gonna know it's there? How often do you look under your car seat? I personally never have.

New Jersey needs to change that law because it sounds really wrong to me...
    One way to negate this is always keep your car locked, which it should be anyway, never leave anyone but your closest family unattended in your car, and if you loan it to a friend, do your due diligence and check that sucka up and down and sideways for something planted. And if you see it's been broken into, check it and call the cops immediately. Yeah I know it sounds like major inconveniences, but someone planting a gun inside your car sounds like something that can be rectified if you make it your duty to not trust too many people with or inside your car. And if a buddy in your backseat slips it in there, well ya probably shouldn't have kept company with that scumbag in the first place, no?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yeah, in a year when Tom Brady and Brett Favre both go down with injuries.

Chad Pennington. The greatest quarterback who ever won a division when the two Hall Of Famers in his division couldn't play.

How'd ol' Chad the Fin do in the postseason. Yeah, it's like that.

SAR I
    Wow kid, you do love to put words in
    to folks mouth.
    I never said he was the greatest anything. I just pointed out that if he was such a failure as you implied, he kick our asses and won the division, not easy with what he had to work with and Tony S. as his head coach.
    So your wrong Chad was not a waste and I don't give a rats butt who was injured he still won.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    According to a cop friend of mine if both deny the gun is their's the one who is the car owner will get charged unless they can check to see who the gun was sold to or if one of them had a carry permit.. Since it was probably bought on the street I doubt that will happen..
    Although I am not licensed in NJ, I have defended cases like this in the past.

If I was defending him, I would focus on the location of the gun in the vehicle. Best case is the vehicle is owned by the driver and the gun is in a location my guy could not see/reach - trunk area, under the back seat, locked in a case in the back of the SUV. Even better, it would have someone else's prints on it - not my guy's. If he can get the other guy to "admit" that it was his, it would be fantastic for the defense.

Of course, if he bought the gun, it was his car, and the prints on the gun/shells are his, time to get fitted for the jumpsuit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

If I was defending him, I would focus on the location of the gun in the vehicle. Best case is the vehicle is owned by the driver and the gun is in a location my guy could not see/reach - trunk area, under the back seat, locked in a case in the back of the SUV. Even better, it would have someone else's prints on it - not my guy's. If he can get the other guy to "admit" that it was his, it would be fantastic for the defense.Of course, if he bought the gun, it was his car, and the prints on the gun/shells are his, time to get fitted for the jumpsuit.
    There goes the bonus money..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too much energy wasted on this guy. He's done, goodbye.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    One way to negate this is always keep your car locked, which it should be anyway, never leave anyone but your closest family unattended in your car, and if you loan it to a friend, do your due diligence and check that sucka up and down and sideways for something planted. And if you see it's been broken into, check it and call the cops immediately. Yeah I know it sounds like major inconveniences, but someone planting a gun inside your car sounds like something that can be rectified if you make it your duty to not trust too many people with or inside your car. And if a buddy in your backseat slips it in there, well ya probably shouldn't have kept company with that scumbag in the first place, no?
    A locked door??? Are you from northern jersey????

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda strange none of our illustrious reporters has even figured out if it was Goodson's car or not.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was defending him, I would focus on the location of the gun in the vehicle. Best case is the vehicle is owned by the driver and the gun is in a location my guy could not see/reach - trunk area, under the back seat, locked in a case in the back of the SUV. Even better, it would have someone else's prints on it - not my guy's. If he can get the other guy to "admit" that it was his, it would be fantastic for the defense.

Of course, if he bought the gun, it was his car, and the prints on the gun/shells are his, time to get fitted for the jumpsuit.
    Driver is a convicted felon, passenger a nfl player. It will be tough for one to step up and claim the gun as theirs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice read but FUKK him. I don't care what happens to this piece of ****.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Wow kid, you do love to put words in
    to folks mouth.
    I never said he was the greatest anything. I just pointed out that if he was such a failure as you implied, he kick our asses and won the division, not easy with what he had to work with and Tony S. as his head coach.
    So your wrong Chad was not a waste and I don't give a rats butt who was injured he still won.
    Chad never buttfumbled.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if you bought a car from somebody, even a car dealer, and there was a gun under the seat and you never knew about it? Having it there makes it yours and every last crime committed with it is yours too???

Man I'm sorry but that is just bad law right there... I don't care about the intentions of the lawmakers, that is just bad law.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    What if you bought a car from somebody, even a car dealer, and there was a gun under the seat and you never knew about it? Having it there makes it yours and every last crime committed with it is yours too???

Man I'm sorry but that is just bad law right there... I don't care about the intentions of the lawmakers, that is just bad law.
    Most gun laws are stupid because politicians don't understand anything.

1) Hollowpoints are illegal in NJ, but everyone else in the US including cops and the FBI uses Hollowpoints. Why? Because they are better than ball ammo.

2) New York passed a law that limits the number of rounds that you may have in a weapon to less than the capacity of "normal" mags (10). Thus, you have to have your magazines partially loaded.

3) Most assault weapons bans focus on "scary looking" things like bayonet lugs. Have you ever heard of a civilian getting bayoneted in the USA? Heck. I doubt that anyone has been bayoneted in the wars.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 05-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Too much energy wasted on this guy. He's done, goodbye.
    I agree he wasn't even a good player to begin with. Cut the b*tch already.