Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    As if people aren't being maliciously prosecuted in the United States? Don't think so? Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ARwO7VqNQ

If you don't think they'll use this football player to make a public statement about guns and/or drunk driving you're wrong...

Come on... that's nonsense.

This case is over 2 years old, was trumped up by the police to try and use old consent laws, thrown out by the lower courts, and the right to video tape police was upheld by "the" Supreme Court.

What exactly is in dispute about this? It's settled.

I'm just as concerned about civil rights as the next person but I'm not going to invent situations that don't exist.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkeller28 View Post
    Marino's case was not unsubstantiated rumors. I know someone who went to Pitt with him and said he would do blow right off the bar in a crowded bar.
    hearsay.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    hearsay.
    The POTUS has admitted he smoked weed and did other drugs in school so why should what a football player did in school be such a big deal??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The POTUS has admitted he smoked weed and did other drugs in school so why should what a football player did in school be such a big deal??
    Forgive me for my ignorance but what is POTUS?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me for my ignorance but what is POTUS?
    President of the United states..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we're getting off track a bit here. The original discussion is on Goodson. My opinion is that there should be zero tolerance.

If I were a GM and Im not, I would stay clear of kids with a past history of substance abuse.

Zero tolerance for what ? He was the passenger and was drunk. That's not illegal. Small amount of pot ? In many places, that amounts to a citation on par with a speeding ticket.

The only charge that is really noteworthy is the gun possession one, and at this point, we don't know who's gun it was or if Goodson was even aware of it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    So can I count you as one of the only that are still happy the Jets passed on Warren Sapp for Kyle Brady? Passed on Marino for O'Brien?

No one can condone what Goodson did the other night. Being intoxicated enough to wind up parked in the middle lane of route 80 is obviously a major issue. That alone should result in the Jets suspending and fining him.

However, until the gun charge sticks, there's no reason for the Jets to let this guy walk. Let's all take a deep breath and let the investigation run it's course.
    Good to see some sensible, reasonable posters still on this thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fltflo;4897713]I to am leaning toward the " on unconditional release"'of this young man. I have my own 20 year old and I have to ask this question "'what is out on the streets at 3 in the morning" anyone??????? TROUBLE !!!!!!
    Not sure the Jets can cut Mike until the legal process plays out a bit more. I also would not want to rush to judgement In this matter. He has shown very poor judgement and the Jets need to establish if this is normal behavior for this young man when his is outside the program. On the other hand if this was a one time issue, then maybe he does deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    I do have to say, after reading the story C-Mart posted about this young mans college issues, it put him in a different light. B
    Last edited by fltflo; 05-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    hearsay.
    A "high up" friend from South Florida can also confirm that DM was into that stuff even after his NFL career was over

I am positive those stories from Pitt were true.....

Turns out he was probably doing it here and there his whole life, it just didn't matter, he was that good

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Good to see some sensible, reasonable posters still on this thread
    Generally thats a smart way of thinking and drafting. I'd bet that more times than not you draft a headache. Just because Sapp had a good career doesn't change things. I'm more concerned that a player heading into the draft, knowing he will be tested, that a fail will cost him millions is either so stupid or so dependent does shut down for a week or 2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Except that its foolish not to understand the reasons why.

Not being able to tape government and the police agencies in no way violates your freedom.
    Actually, it does. If the police believe that their actions are [may] be on tape, they are much less likely to abuse citizens. Most police officers are good people and do their jobs reasonably well. Nevertheless, some make mistakes and some are bad apples.

If Rodney King had not been caught on tape, would anyone have believed him? The victims of the Rampart division were not believed because they couldn't prove the LAPD officers were crooked.

When I handled criminal defense cases, all the dwi stops and interviews were on video. Most of the time the video showed good police work and led to a lot of convictions. Occasionally, the tapes helped us prove that the officers made mistakes like claiming a guy failed field sobriety tests.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    President of the United states..
    oh. Since I now know what that means, your right, follow the leader.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    A "high up" friend from South Florida can also confirm that DM was into that stuff even after his NFL career was over

I am positive those stories from Pitt were true.....

Turns out he was probably doing it here and there his whole life, it just didn't matter, he was that good
    You did realize that all of this "my friend knows" or "this is what I heard" is all rumor right?

I really dont care what Marino does anyway. This useless thread is on our useless free agent rb Goodson who unfortunately is still a Jet. Of course this is my useless opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Zero tolerance for what ? He was the passenger and was drunk. That's not illegal. Small amount of pot ? In many places, that amounts to a citation on par with a speeding ticket.

The only charge that is really noteworthy is the gun possession one, and at this point, we don't know who's gun it was or if Goodson was even aware of it.
    Indeed - the constant refrain is to get a ride home with a friend or a cab if you're too drunk too drive. Thank God he did what may actually have been the responsible thing and did not get behind the wheel of a car. I drive by the Denville exit of Rt. 80 often and I have horrible visions of not seeing the stopped car in the middle of the road if it had no lights on and slamming into the back of it at 80 MPH and yes I speed like everyone else in the left lanes.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Actually, it does. If the police believe that their actions are [may] be on tape, they are much less likely to abuse citizens. Most police officers are good people and do their jobs reasonably well. Nevertheless, some make mistakes and some are bad apples.

If Rodney King had not been caught on tape, would anyone have believed him? The victims of the Rampart division were not believed because they couldn't prove the LAPD officers were crooked.

When I handled criminal defense cases, all the dwi stops and interviews were on video. Most of the time the video showed good police work and led to a lot of convictions. Occasionally, the tapes helped us prove that the officers made mistakes like claiming a guy failed field sobriety tests.
    Guess to some degree thats true but that wasn't the point. Bad cops who wrongfully act out does infringe on freedom. You're right.

Problem is when you only see edited video to help make someones case or when there is more to it than what the tape seems to show.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a jets fan I am genetically predisposed towards believing all of the Dan Marino stories because it helps me to rationalize not taking him when we had the chance.

It helps for about two nanoseconds.

eff'n coke head bastard.

amirite?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

Jets minicamp: June 11-13 ‏RT @SethWalderNYDN Garant Evans' pre-trial hearing: June 12. Mike Goodson likely same day, Morris Cty Superior Ct

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You just don't get it. They know there is no way the team will have a clue. Because its not used exclusively by drunks, criminals etc. Its a case of I need a ride, for any reason, no questions asked. Id bet its used every day by players. And who the fu(k is going to report back to the team? A driver? He's qualified? Really, how? A team protecting their own investment, dependent on the players contributions is going to suspend its own player? Sure.

Only clueless fans think teams care that a player is coming home at 3 am. Or that a driver would have a clue as to who is or isn't a felon. BTW, was his friend a felon?
    YES. Talk about clueless.

Go back and rethink the rest of your dungheaps one sentence at a time.

I can poke holes in them all day long but have better things to do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even Shaun Ellis loved his weed..
    <-------------Yes and he scored a TD the same week he was busted for weed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Jets owner Woody Johnson tells me Idzik & Rex will interview Goodson on his arrest. "Still in fact-finding mode." Too early to know fate