Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Goodson Arrested

Cool I support your sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    He's guilty of not using good judgement and placing himself in a position that could jeopardize himself and the team. His alleged crimes are not the end of the world, but if you run an organization and this guy works for you, you need to question his intelligence and overall commitment.
    +1
    It's hard to root for a guy that makes a mistake before the first game is played as a Jet. I haven't spent much time on Mr. Goodson's case. I just hope he lives up to his name. He has a lot to prove to fans like us. Is he worth rooting for? Time will tell. By next season, he won't be a Jet if his only impact to NJ is to be with people that like to have guns with bullets in moving vehicles.

Evans admitted to trooper the gun was his

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...drugs/2400699/

"
    Provided by Fusco to USA TODAY Sports, a portion of the New Jersey State Police Investigation Report filed by the responding trooper, stated:
    "Upon briefly speaking to Evans, he stated that the gun was his but refused to answer questions regarding where it came from or where he acquired the gun. I attempted to have Evans sign a copy of the consent form which was read to him at the scene and which he gave verbal consent to search the vehicle. Evans refused to sign and same was noted on the consent form."

State Police spokesman Lt. Stephen Jones said Goodson was charged with possession of the firearm because gun ownership could not be determined the night of the arrest because of the "degree of alcohol and intoxication." He added a check into the gun's ownership records "has not returned yet."
    Fusco told USA TODAY Sports in the days following the arrest the gun and drugs did not belong to Goodson. However, Fusco has not commented on the drug charges since USA TODAY Sports reported an affidavit from New Jersey State Trooper Carlos Mesa indicated police found a baggie of marijuana in Goodson's pocket.
    The maximum sentence in New Jersey for less than 50 grams of marijuana is sixth months.

Goodson, who signed a three-year deal with the Jets this offseason as new general manager John Idzik's first free agent signing, has not spoken to news reporters since he and Evans were arrested at approximately 3 a.m. on May 17. Police say the vehicle allegedly being driven by Evans was stopped in the left-center lane of Interstate 80 for unknown reasons.

The affidavit from Mesa stated Goodson "was incoherent, slobbering and had vomited all over himself as well as the interior of the vehicle" when he was found inside the car. Criminal complaints also said police found two partially smoked marijuana cigars and drug paraphernalia that included four empty plastic baggies and one Dutchmaster pack containing the two cigars."

All League
    Soooo...refer. big crap.

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Soooo...refer. big crap.
    True, but this indicates his bad judgement was a bit more than getting arrested for a couple of joints in his pocket...

Goodson "was incoherent, slobbering and had vomited all over himself as well as the interior of the vehicle"

The scariest part is he's sitting passed out in a car parked ON the highway. Probably won't serve jail time but the guy has a 10 cent head.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    True, but this indicates his bad judgement was a bit more than getting arrested for a couple of joints in his pocket...

Goodson "was incoherent, slobbering and had vomited all over himself as well as the interior of the vehicle"

The scariest part is he's sitting passed out in a car parked ON the highway. Probably won't serve jail time but the guy has a 10 cent head.
    It took you 40 pages to break the news that Goodson was drunk and incoherent??

All League
    Charter JI Member

Goodson's case was sent to the Grand Jury this morning.

Like I said in my previous post, just because the other guy admitted that the gun was his, does not mean the prosecutor will drop gun charges. In fact, they've done just the opposite.

As I said before, the prosecutor had Evans' admission prior to filing charges, yet still filed charges.

Goodson is not out of the water yet.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...torneys_w.html

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Goodson's case was sent to the Grand Jury this morning.

Like I said in my previous post, just because the other guy admitted that the gun was his, does not mean the prosecutor will drop gun charges. In fact, they've done just the opposite.

As I said before, the prosecutor had Evans' admission prior to filing charges, yet still filed charges.

Goodson is not out of the water yet.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...torneys_w.html
    And as I told you, the prosecutor can file whatever charges he likes - the grand jury will have the final say.

Unless they were able to trace the guns ownership history and link it to Goodson - which I have not seen reported anywhere - there is ZERO chance that the grand jury will indict Goodson on the weapons charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    And as I told you, the prosecutor can file whatever charges he likes - the grand jury will have the final say.

Unless they were able to trace the guns ownership history and link it to Goodson - which I have not seen reported anywhere - there is ZERO chance that the grand jury will indict Goodson on the weapons charge.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. It sounds like you're saying that if I bought an illegal gun, I'm innocent because they wouldn't be able to trace ownership back to me even if I were in the car?

I would think the lack of clear ownership (if there is none) would be enough for the grand jury to proceed.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. It sounds like you're saying that if I bought an illegal gun, I'm innocent because they wouldn't be able to trace ownership back to me even if I were in the car?

I would think the lack of clear ownership (if there is none) would be enough for the grand jury to proceed.
    Not if someone else said it was their gun. Then you do need a form of evidence to show to the contrary otherwise the jury would be trying to convict him on speculation with no real evidence.

All League
    Charter JI Member

When did I ever say he was going to be convicted or indicted by a grand jury?

When the reports came out that the driver claimed ownership of the gun, comments were made that the gun charges against Goodson would be dropped.

I responded that this was not necessarily the case, that the prosecutor had those statements prior to filing charges and still filed....just like they moved forward today submitting the case to a grand jury for consideration. Nothing is being dropped by the State.

Now, you may be right that the grand jury finds there is insufficient evidence to proceed with gun possession charges (be it actual or constructive) against Goodson. But that still doesn't make my statements wrong. In fact, today's development proved that I was right. The prosecutors have not dropped the charges.

You can apologize to me now......
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 06-12-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wouldn't every put a zero chance of a Grand Jury indicting anything. That being said, considering Evans admitted the gun was his and (if I'm not mistaken) and the gun was later learned to have been owned by him, Goodson is not going down for the gun charge.

The DA may just to keep the pressure on him to get him to testify against Evans, but at the end of the day, he's not going down for possession of a fire arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    Not if someone else said it was their gun. Then you do need a form of evidence to show to the contrary otherwise the jury would be trying to convict him on speculation with no real evidence.
    Isn't that the case? I thought both guys are saying it's not theirs.

Your statement was as follows:

What you said then was lack of traceable ownership to Goodson is enough to dismiss. What you're saying now and I think what you originally meant was that different ownership is enough to dismiss.

From what I understand, clear ownership has not been established.

EDIT: sorry it wasn't you, it was ARod's statement I was talking about... should have read closer.

BTW, I'm not talking about conviction. I don't think the grand jury needs more than a lack of clarity to proceed.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 06-12-2013 at 11:16 AM.

What you said then was lack of traceable ownership to Goodson is enough to dismiss. What you're saying now and I think what you originally meant was that different ownership is enough to dismiss.

the other guy has admitted that the gun was his, not Goodson's.

this wasn't clear at the time of the arrest because both guys were too ****ed up to say anything

All League
    Charter JI Member

EDIT: sorry it wasn't you, it was ARod's statement I was talking about... should have read closer.

BTW, I'm not talking about conviction. I don't think the grand jury needs more than a lack of clarity to proceed.

I would add that ownership means little when it comes to the law of criminal possession.

The law allows a conviction for possession whether it is actual or "constructive".

Constructive possession has nothing to do with actual ownership and little to do with actual physical possession. I don't have time to write a memo on constructive possession, just google it.
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 06-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the other guy has admitted that the gun was his, not Goodson's.

this wasn't clear at the time of the arrest because both guys were too ****ed up to say anything
    ah, didn't realize that came out. That's a much better situation for him. thanks

I would add that ownership means little when it comes to the law of possession.

The law allows a conviction for possession whether it is actual or "constructive".

Constructive possession has nothing to do with actual ownership. I don't have time to write a memo on constructive possession, just google it.
    I'm no lawyer so I don't understand the particulars but if what Dirtstar say's is true, it's at least got to look better for him than both guys denying ownership.

I imagine unless he was brandishing the weapon himself, he's probably not going to take the brunt of the punishment. The hollow point bullets are a problem for whomever is responsible for the weapon though.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 06-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.

All League
    Any prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich. That being said, he'll eventually walk away Scott free.

Not sure if they went to the grand jury to "blame them" for no indictment or not

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    he was drunk in the passenger seat....gun was not his...passenger admitted gun was his.....Goodson will be playing for the jets in 2013.

There is never a zero chance. If you've ever been before a grand jury (I have) it's all stacked in the prosecutors favor.
    • Prosecutor presents his case, your lawyers are not allowed in. In fact most lawyers have never been in a grand jury proceeding.
    • You are instructed by the prosecutor on what you can and can't say (I passed a lie detector test and wasn't allowed to say that.)
    • You can only answer questions from the prosecutor or jury members, you don't get a chance to present your case.
    • There's no "reasonable doubt." The prosecutor only has to show there is enough evidence to go to trial. And if I remember right, there are like 25 jurors and a simple majority sends you to trial.
    In my case, a question from a juror gave me an opening and I said screw the prosecutor, and blurted out that I passed the lie detector. The prosecutor sh!t himself on the spot, turned purple, started sputtering and ushered me out, but it must have been enough because they didn't indict.

Thank you

I would add that ownership means little when it comes to the law of criminal possession.

Constructive possession has nothing to do with actual ownership and little to do with actual physical possession. I don't have time to write a memo on constructive possession, just google it.
    Finally someone that knows a little bit about the law.
    (P.S. I'm a lawyer)