Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you want as starting QB on Sept 8th?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think Rex may have learned his lesson KJ we shall see..
    If Rex would have learned this lesson sooner we probably wouldn't be in this situation now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I don't understand how Jet fans having been through the inept way Sanchez was developed want to rush another "raw" QB into the starting job.
    Because they don't see that starting a rookie with 16 college starts along with terrible QB development had anything to do with his lack of development. Sanchez is responsible for his poor development according to them. Geno is actually in a better position to start, with tons more college experience, a real QB coach and a real OC.

Undrafted Free Agent

Mark Sanchez in 2013/14.

M. S. in 2013/2014 season.Has a decent season and will be a viable trade option come next year when it will really count.No brainer.

Smith.

We know what Sanchez is and he is not the answer. He will be a journeyman for the remainder of his career. Smith is an unknown and in today's NFL most Round 1-2 rookie QB's come into the league and play. He should be given every opportunity to start Week 1 - meaning unless he looks REALLY awful, he should be behind center. Take this season and see what he does with it before heading into a loaded 2014 QB class.

You MUST see what you have in Smith this season. Too much to lose next April if he isn't the answer. He doesn't have to come in and play like RGInjury or Luck, but he has to show something.
    Last edited by 124; 05-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.

No one who's on the current roster actually. My opinion we need a veteran QB for Geno Smith to learn from. Sanchez isn't the answer and you know he won't tutor Geno. Whether Geno is the starter or stays on the bench for a year he needs a legit veteran QB to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Because they don't see that starting a rookie with 16 college starts along with terrible QB development had anything to do with his lack of development. Sanchez is responsible for his poor development according to them. Geno is actually in a better position to start, with tons more college experience, a real QB coach and a real OC.

Oh , I agree and the support staff ( MM & Lee) is infinitely better than what Sanchez had. But I still look at the offense WVU ran and ask myself how does that O translate to the NFL - I'm afraid it doesn't very well. 4 years in a "school playground" offense doesn't make me overly confident Geno can come in right away and produce at this level. I love his raw skills , I just think he needs time and would hate to see the Jets rush him and ruin another QB.

It's funny how no one gives Mclroy any chance almost as if he isn't a QB. Just last season everyone was clamoring for Mclroy and because he had one bad game with a leaky offensive line he shouldn't even be considered? Guess what in a fair competition Mclroy will prove to be better than the consensus worst QB in the entire league Mark Sanchez. Best option is Geno is ready. Next best is Mclroy. After that sign a jag of the street and put him in before the Butfumble embarrassment Sanchez ever sees the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That's the point.

100% chance Ryan is gone in January.

70% chance Morningweig isn't retained by the new head coach in March.

Keep Geno clean and happy on the sidelines, let him learn, let him get used to the NFL, let him get decent reps in practice. In 2014 when we have a new HC and a new OC, Geno comes in. Clean first year, clean slate.

Let Sanchez take the beatings, the mind-fu-ks, and spin his wheels on learning his third offensive system in three years. Spare the rookie the unnecessary pain.

SAR I
    See, i think Idzik has a plan. I think he brings Bevell in to be head coach and they keep Morningwig. I think bevell is a west coast guy and maybe even k kes morningwig from somewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    No one who's on the current roster actually. My opinion we need a veteran QB for Geno Smith to learn from. Sanchez isn't the answer and you know he won't tutor Geno. Whether Geno is the starter or stays on the bench for a year he needs a legit veteran QB to help him out.
    I think that's overrated Brunell was with Sanchez did that help?? Did Manning help Painter with the Colts?? I could go on but most QB coaches were QB's and have been around the NFL so that's where the help should be if needed. .I would say it's rare when a QB helps another QB unless he really over the hill like Brunell and he was no help to Mark.. Plus he kept him away from his daughter..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    It's funny how no one gives Mclroy any chance almost as if he isn't a QB. Just last season everyone was clamoring for Mclroy and because he had one bad game with a leaky offensive line he shouldn't even be considered? Guess what in a fair competition Mclroy will prove to be better than the consensus worst QB in the entire league Mark Sanchez. Best option is Geno is ready. Next best is Mclroy. After that sign a jag of the street and put him in before the Butfumble embarrassment Sanchez ever sees the field.
    I think we all give McElroy a chance (albeit minute) but that wasn't the question. The question was who do we want to start.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Who and why...

For me Sanchez to give Smith time to watch before going in.
    I agree with this. I don't think this is the Jets' year, and they are still lacking weapons. It's not that I think they should or will give up on the season, but I think it's sort of low risk to start with Sanchez. Technically you're giving him one last shot (which IMO he doesn't really deserve at this point). So if he excels, awesome! But if he's still throwing to practice squad targets with limited protection, basically let him take some of the initial wear and tear off Geno. And then let's see how it goes but eventually you make the switch unless Sanchez surprises and does well.

All that said, I think Sanchez is mentally broken. So if he comes in an buttfumbles in the preseason or throws a thousand picks or whatever, then let's go with Geno. And that said, I'd like to see Sanchez and Geno get some real playing time this preseason. We need to figure out who is the better option with some actual in game experience. Neither of them are good enough or have "earned" the right to sit and watch like a starting NFL QB.

Veteran
    Approaching 2013 with Sanchez, Garrard, Tebow, McElroy, Simms things were looking so grim I tuned out football completely, hadn't logged on to JI for months.

When Geno got drafted the excitement returned along with our chances to win.

I hope he starts. His mobility is a huge plus.

Tired of Mark's sedate style and the way he looks like a dashboard bobblehead on the field. He scares nobody.

Not too concerned about Geno learning the offense.

Marty seems like a communicative and approachable guy, innovative too.

There's actually some hope now.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Exactly. Can we start the guy who is playing better? i domt care who wins. Makes sense to me
    Normally that would be correct. But past two years we have heard how well #6 did in practice but what happens on game day? He forgets everything he learned and resorts back to bad habits, gets turnover happy, or just can't throw a simple pass.. Mentally this kid is done,,I could care less how well he does in camp or practice when he is protected with the red shirt..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Normally that would be correct. But past two years we have heard how well #6 did in practice but what happens on game day? He forgets everything he learned and resorts back to bad habits, gets turnover happy, or just can't throw a simple pass.. Mentally this kid is done,,I could care less how well he does in camp or practice when he is protected with the red shirt..
    +1 and if he wants to resurrect his career NY is not the place to try to do it..
    Last edited by Savage69; 05-19-2013 at 01:33 PM.

All Pro
    What Exactly is the difference between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith presently.

Mark Sanchez : 4th year NFL starter who presently makesthe same dumb mistakes he made as a rookie.One could argue his mistakes are even worse after 4 years.

Geno Smith : Top QB in a bad class supposedly, who fell to the early 2nd round . Presently misunderstood due to the complex nature of events the followed him from the NFL Combine to the days leading up to the firing of his agent.

2 QBs, a 1st year player expected to play like the rookie he is and a 4th year player playing like a Rookie. Best option IMO would be to sacrifice Greg McElroy for a half season unless Geno plays himself into the starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think that's overrated Brunell was with Sanchez did that help?? Did Manning help Painter with the Colts?? I could go on but most QB coaches were QB's and have been around the NFL so that's where the help should be if needed. .I would say it's rare when a QB helps another QB unless he really over the hill like Brunell and he was no help to Mark.. Plus he kept him away from his daughter..
    Still just because M Brunell wanted Sanchez to stay away from his daughter. This is totally unacceptable and will come back to hurt him when he looking for a New job in 2014. ( Hotdog caper, Booger caper and the Butt Fumble) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtQDXG3kZw

Do you really want that to be the face of your franchise. Enough is enough. It's time for UH-OH it's Geno.( a fresh start as you already know what M sanchez is at this point. No one knows what geno Smith can be.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Smith>>>> Buttfumble

McElroy>>>>> Buttfumble

Simms>>>>> Buttfumble

Buttfumble>>>Leinart and that's about it

Geno is the only option. Report are now they wanted to sign Hoyer but didnt act fast enough. Maybe they sign anther option in the next few days but right now Geno is the only QB on the team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I want the QB who gives the Jets the best chance to win! Nothing else matters. I am a Jets fan not a fan of any particular QB.
    Agree 100%. Best man for the job at all positions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Geno is the only option. Report are now they wanted to sign Hoyer but didnt act fast enough. Maybe they sign anther option in the next few days but right now Geno is the only QB on the team.
    This is what I'm afraid of - we have only one option so play him even if it's not a good idea. Just like last year - Sanchez gave us the "best chance to win" only because we had bugger all else.

If Geno plays, I want it to be because he is ready and has earned the job, not that he was the only guy we had.