Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: Idzik's first two blemishes

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post


    We lost a HOF CB and replaced him with a rookie.

    SAR I
    In the 09 season we lost a HOF QB and replaced him with a rookie and you were happy about it..

  2. #42
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    You must love the sound of your own voice. If anything, this shows Idzik knows exactly what he is doing, is well prepared, and is the right man for the job right now.

    Garrard was signed before we drafted Geno. With Geno here, Garrard is expendable. Veteran qb's are everywhere.

    Goodson was a fluke. But guess what, Idzik picked up another RB who will make us all forget this by October.

    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Geno is going to be a bust. Write it down !

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    McBonics at it again.

    SAR I
    Scotch, calm down. Wouldn't want to make you freak out again and QQ to the mods. Now, be my good bear and unwrinkle your got dang jim jams.

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In the 09 season we lost a HOF QB and replaced him with a rookie and you were happy about it..

    A good point. And despite "emotional" feelings, Revis is not a HOF CB. He may be someday, but 3 very good seasons does not qualify. Never DPOY either. Again, maybe down the road. Not yet.
    Same with Clay Matthews, Eli, Rodgers, and a bunch of other guys.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Forget what he attempted to do. It doesn't matter.

    Right now, we a) don't have a legitimate vet QB to "push Mark Sanchez" as Ryan and Johnson committed and b) don't have a #2 RB who can catch the ball and replace all those first downs that LT's departure took away from us in 2011.

    We lost a HOF CB and replaced him with a rookie.

    We took a flyer on a questionable QB prospect who is another rookie.

    We did not replace the pass-catching TE.

    Some West Coast Offense this is going to be.

    Saying that Idzik tried to make the right moves with Garrard and Goodson doesn't matter on opening day when we boo the offense off the field having produced 2 first downs. He now had better wheel and deal, better find a legit vet QB, legit receiving RB, and a pass-catching TE. And that's just for starters, that just gets us back to scratch from last year when we were the offensive joke of the league.

    SAR I
    Not like we have millions in cap space.

    we are buying on a budget.
    Its take the best player you can get at the best price you can get them.

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way is this a valid criticism of Idzik, not having that for a min, this is just trying to hang your hat on any negative possible to undermine him.

    He took a calculated risk on two players after inheriting dire cap constraints and it did not work out, to blame him for a guys retirement and another's poor decision making is beyond idiotic.

    His body of work since becoming GM is far more positive then negative, the guy is not god, things like this happen yo every GM at some point or another, it comes with the territory.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    A good point. And despite "emotional" feelings, Revis is not a HOF CB. He may be someday, but 3 very good seasons does not qualify. Never DPOY either. Again, maybe down the road. Not yet.
    Same with Clay Matthews, Eli, Rodgers, and a bunch of other guys.
    It's hard to compile stats when your a elite shut down CB but 4 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pro selections in his first 6 years is a dam good start..

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Geno is going to be a bust. Write it down !
    A second rd, 3rd pick bust???

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    As several have said, 2013 is a rebuild year. And Idzik's early success is underscored by the fact that these two losses don't destroy the team, as they might have in previous years. They just put a ding in our depth. Its a good feeling knowing that we have strong alternatives already on the roster.

    It's kind of like the lottery. You know you have little chance of winning but at $600 million you buy a couple of tickets anyway. Looking at what Idzik has done a lot of us went from a 3 wins mentality to 8 or 10. It's a rebuild year, and I for one am really pleased with how Idzik has positioned us.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    A second rd, 3rd pick bust???
    I think Geno is going to be good for us. But a 2nd rounder can certainly be a bust. IMO the non-bust picks start in the 4th round. I think every team would like their picks in the first three rounds to become starters.

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Geno is going to be good for us. But a 2nd rounder can certainly be a bust. IMO the non-bust picks start in the 4th round. I think every team would like their picks in the first three rounds to become starters.
    Agreed but i think he's getting the first rd pick treatment.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    As several have said, 2013 is a rebuild year. And Idzik's early success is underscored by the fact that these two losses don't destroy the team, as they might have in previous years. They just put a ding in our depth. Its a good feeling knowing that we have strong alternatives already on the roster.

    It's kind of like the lottery. You know you have little chance of winning but at $600 million you buy a couple of tickets anyway. Looking at what Idzik has done a lot of us went from a 3 wins mentality to 8 or 10. It's a rebuild year, and I for one am really pleased with how Idzik has positioned us.
    It's only May we don't even know what our depth is until the final 53 players are picked.. Who knows what may become available in June or the camp cuts??

  13. #53
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    It's year 1 of a total offensive rebuild but for Brick and Mangold. If you are implying you expected it to be resolved in a single off-season, then you are delusional or just using the setbacks as convenient tools to continue your agenda. This will be a several year process. You know that.
    Of course this is going to take a long time, and my expectation is for a four win season. But that's not the point.

    Cimini raises the point that Idzik has a blemished record this off-season. He is correct. So far, several of the objectives that Idzik himself stated as important have busted. He didn't get enough value for Darrelle Revis. He didn't get anything for Tim Tebow. His experienced veteran quarterback is in a wheelchair. His pass catching running back is in a prison.

    First we were snubbed. Now we are blemished. This isn't the type of off-season where you can say we have found a great GM to lead us out of the wilderness. If anything, what we are seeing so far produces the opposite reaction.

    SAR I

  14. #54
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Not like we have millions in cap space.

    we are buying on a budget.
    Its take the best player you can get at the best price you can get them.
    Exactly.

    All this means is that Idzik has more work to do. We need a veteran quarterback. We need a pass catching running back. We need a playmaking tight end. If we are trying to run the West Coast offense, it has stalled somewhere near Montana. Our GM needs to get us the rest of the way.

    SAR I

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Exactly.

    All this means is that Idzik has more work to do. We need a veteran quarterback. We need a pass catching running back. We need a playmaking tight end. If we are trying to run the West Coast offense, it has stalled somewhere near Montana. Our GM needs to get us the rest of the way.

    SAR I
    McKnight had 66 catches in college..

  16. #56
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    McKnight had 66 catches in college..
    Ah, but I guess you didn't hear how terrible his quarterback was.

    SAR I

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Exactly.

    All this means is that Idzik has more work to do. We need a veteran quarterback. We need a pass catching running back. We need a playmaking tight end. If we are trying to run the West Coast offense, it has stalled somewhere near Montana. Our GM needs to get us the rest of the way.

    SAR I
    yea but your killing the guy like he didn't make and moves that tried to address things, and giving the assumption that he's done trying.

    Add in the highly pessimistic spin you put on it and people lose sight that your addressing the team needs rather then just bashing the new GM.

    I know you could prob care less of what JI posters have to say. but watching thread after thread go off topic and ultimately end up in how much money you spend on the jets has to get old for you.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 05-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    McKnight had 66 catches in college..
    McKnight under achieved at USC.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Geno is going to be good for us. But a 2nd rounder can certainly be a bust. IMO the non-bust picks start in the 4th round. I think every team would like their picks in the first three rounds to become starters.
    You have to roll the dice with qbs in draft and hope for the best.. Outside of luck/rg3 there are no sure things.. Look how many top 10 qbs have been busts past ten years? #1's overall - Russell, smith.. Can add Sanchez to that list.. And we traded up for the buttfumbler so we really lost out.. We lucked out with geno following to the 2nd.. This guy easily could have been the #1 overall pick but that tweet/texting rumor ( lucky for us) cost him big...

  20. #60
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man so we had a couple of low level misses on guys to be a stop gap during a rebuilding season. Spare me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us